As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead or Alive 5] online might be ok, but an online pass is not

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I just substitute DoA's story mode with Dead Fantasy in my mind. It's more entertaining that way.
    But speaking of fighting game story modes. Is Blazblue the only one that actually does it right? I would buy the games just for the story, let alone the fighting.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    She blew it up.

It was awesome.

Despite Aerosmith.

I remember that now!

That was awesome.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    But speaking of fighting game story modes. Is Blazblue the only one that actually does it right? I would buy the games just for the story, let alone the fighting.

Blazblue and Brawl.

...yes. That's it. Guilty Gear is just a bunch of "You're in my way----HEAVEN OR HELL LETS ROCK!"

C'mon Daisuke, hurry up and give the bad guy a name and face. It's been ten years. :(

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I wouldn't really call Blazblue's way the right way. If you like that sort of stuff, though.

They'll probably throw most of the Dead or Alive story of old out the window in the new game. They might try to do something with the actual story mode, since Dead or Alive has always been about that. Probably won't work, but they'll try.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    I wouldn't really call Blazblue's way the right way. If you like that sort of stuff, though.

I'd call Blazblue a step in the right direction, with characters holding meaningful conversations and actual reasons for fights starting.*

* Taokaka needs no reason.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    A nonsensical visual novel is not the reason I buy fighting games.

Not that I'd be a good judge anyway. I don't play the singleplayer. I've owned Mortal Kombat since launch and still haven't beaten it, though I've put hundreds of hours into the game. I think I beat story mode 1 time in Soulcalibur 4 because it was required for a character unlock, and I've put maybe a thousand hours into that game. The list goes on.

Though I did put time into Dead or Alive story modes, and grew to despise that the credits couldn't be skipped. But I only did that because it was needed to unlock costumes. If there was a better alternate method (that didn't require tons of grinding in survival), then I'd have never played them, either.

It's all window dressing anyway. The actual stories aren't very important, just the background.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I will probably end up getting this. As much as I hate 3D fighters, DoA is the only one I've ever enjoyed playing.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Blazblu is plenty fantastical ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's still pretty horrible as an actual "story". It's GG, but acknowledging that, yeah, guitar rifts aren't a replacement for likeable characters.

DOA 3DS didn't really resolve the problems DOA stories had--in fact, they decided to go beyond "People hate eachother and want revenge", one of the few coherent parts of that narrative, and fell on their faces. So, rather than Ayane killing her rogue foster-father by herself, it's Ayane and Hayate and god knows what else because she's a secondary character in this chapter blah blah blah.

This is a fighing game story, so it shouldn't bother me any more than this.

241967029_3V9PQ-L-2.jpg

Them reusing the original cinematic with Ayane alone bothered me, though. Sort of in a "No, you already killed that scene, don't even try." kind of way. Getting bothered by these sort of things is a useless, I know.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    MK9 and Brawl are the only fighters with solid story modes.

• Options
    We'll have to disagree about Brawl's.

• Options
    Hayashi had an interview with Gamepro, during which he talked some more about the themes Team Ninja has in mind while working on Dead or Alive 5.

As he said before, the phrase they're using to describe the game is fighting entertainment (as opposed to fighting game).
    "All of the fighting games that are out there now seem to be going to back to their roots, and it’s the same sort of game that you were playing 10 years ago, with updated graphics, online play…that aspect is good. But we want to make sure that we’re doing something new and trying to push the genre forward.”

And, as I thought, they're finally going to stop using 2 and 4 as their models.
    Hayashi expressed that we’ll see just as much of a change in DOA that we’re seeing in Ninja Gaiden.

“You can definitely expect a different Dead or Alive in Dead or Alive 5. It’s been six years since [DOA] 4. Nobody is going to want a game now that could have been there six years ago. So we definitely want to update it. We definitely want to see something that is very different."

Besides what he's already hinted at, which is more random and varied stages, with more random, evolving, and interactive danger zones, who knows what that means. It's also worth noting that at least 1 stage was banned from tournament play for being too random. It was the dinosaur stage in Ultimate, I believe, which had completely unpredictable dinosaur hijinks where one would run through the match and knock a player into the air.

I'm waiting on tag mode news.

Apparently the minute long alpha build trailer is a small chunk of a longer gameplay trailer they'll be showing off pretty soon.

stream
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Yes, more tag news please!

And I'd like them to get rid of the silly-looking hit effects, but that probably won't happen.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

Blazblue and Brawl.

...yes. That's it. Guilty Gear is just a bunch of "You're in my way----HEAVEN OR HELL LETS ROCK!"

C'mon Daisuke, hurry up and give the bad guy a name and face. It's been ten years. :(

The new Mortal Kombat had a pretty bitchin' story mode.

Now the actual story is basically just cheesy action movie kinda stuff, but the presentation is top-notch.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Speaking of fun fighting games seems that Hudson just announced they're in production of a new Bloody Roar. I didn't make a thread about it because it was just a twitter blurp, but if anyone wants to they're more than welcome.

Always like playing around in that game with my brother's when I was younger. Even if you found some broken stuff after a while.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I LOVED Bloody Roar on the Playstation.

Bloody Roar XXWHATEVER for the XBox was the only game in history I tried to return because it was so bad. I went back to the story like an hour later and just argued that I needed to exchange it because it was so awful.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I liked the series up til 3...the rest were kind of bad.

Hopefully, it will be returning to the older style with a few gameplay updates/changes here and there.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I liked Primal Fury/Extreme (given that it's an updated 3) but 4 changed the formula too much and killed the series.

Glad to see Eighting have the time/desire to make a new one.

The resurrection of the fighter genre is now complete.

SF, DOA, KOF, MK, BR, VF, Tekken, Marvel all in 2011-2012

Fighters are back!

• Options
    Somebody else made that thread. I'd have a general 3d fighting games thread at this point, but I'm not sure anyone would care.

stream
  • Options
    Here is the full trailer from tgs, showing what happens after Hayabusa is sent over the edge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-us448U3M&feature=player_embedded

Besides the apparent finishing moves and the 2nd part of the stage, it's more of the same.

stream
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    It certainly doesn't look bad; more of the same is a good thing in this case. At any rate it's like a slicker DOA4.

• Options
    Seems Team Ninja has decided to join with other fighting game developers eager to involve their fanbase in whatever gimmicky way they can.

At least their idea is novel.

If you go here you can submit a move of your own design, via video or pictures, and if your move gets chosen you'll not only have it in the game, but also a spot in the credit roll.

The contest lasts till the 18th.

stream
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh jeeze... crotch and boob attacks inbound

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/12/8/dead-or-alive-5-impressions-preview-videos-and-new-screensho.html

Some DoA5 screenshots and impressions.

I've been following some of the DoA players and most people seem to have a someone optimistic opinion.

Also, it seems like they're fixing a lot of shit in DoA4 that I had a problem with(Counters being spammable, characters getting really long stuns off basic jabs).

I mean I probably going to buy the game regardless since it is a pretty fun game, but nice to know that they actually seem to be working on it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah. I know the news was out, but I was waiting for something solid to post.

Changing danger zones makes sense, but the new power attack thing seems like the sort of thing that only works on paper. Especially when they say you can counter them.

Of course, all that stuff means tag mode is further down the list of priorities.

Actually, no, basing your fighting system around QTEs is an awful idea.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    QTEs?! So is this Dragon Ball Zead or Alive?

roster.gif
  • Options
    QTEs? Where what?

Anyway, aside from that, it does seem to be more of the same--which is actually leaps and bounds above what I've come to expect from Team Ninja-sans-Itagaki in these games (DOA 3DS being the crappy elephant in the room), and the direction Ninja Gaiden 3 seems to be taking. It's been quite a while since DOA4 (longer than it should have been), so some changes are to be expected.

The whole "dynamic stages" thing...technically, we've had that going back to DOA2, and DOA4 had it pretty widely (the traffic level, for example). Seems like a reasonable thing to expand further on. The other issue seems to be the sheer abusability of reversals--not as bad as DOA2 or DOA Hardcore, but somewhat problematic by some accounts). DOA is a reversal fighter, the same way it's a tag team fighter, so the trick is to find a happy medium.

Speaking of which, if four player gets zapped, Team Ninja can eat a bag of dicks.

• Options
    It's a game about naked, laborious, repetitive, and restrictive rock/paper/scissors or 50/50 mixups. That's what it's always been, and that's been the biggest problem with it and also the reason a lot of people like it.

Making their new gimmick a flashy QTE with a built-in 50/50 mixup isn't going to convince any of the game's critics, but I'm sure it'll be flashy enough for the first month or so. Then really kind of boring and repetitive.

Hayashi has this weird obsession with QTEs going on. He says, "We want to bring Ninja Gaiden into the modern era of action games." Never mind that Ninja Gaiden almost invented the modern era of action games. But what does he do to modernize the series? Add QTEs, moral choices, and stealth sections, along with "streamlining" the game's controls and systems. Pretty much the things that nobody who plays Ninja Gaiden has ever asked for.

What's he doing with Dead or Alive 5? More streamlining, more randomness, and more QTEs. Also 3 things that have never been asked for.

Hopefully they show some more stuff soon, and then open up the process--they could learn a few lessons from their stagnant competition. If they say it's only 15% done then there's still time to change things.

stream
  • Options
    Meh...like Synth said...stage randomness has been going on forever so I can't complain much about that.

QTE sound obnoxious though. As for that power attack mechanic. Unless they've really made it harder to counter I don't ever see that getting off. But yeah, I need to see the game in action before I form any kind of real opinion. And honestly, I haven't heard anything about DoA5 as was as bad the NG3 reveal.

• Options
    It has also been the only 3D fighter to combine tag team with non-shitty, multi-tiered levels (though sadly, not at the same time).

You get one, or the other, or in the case of Soul Calibur neither of them.

Shit, most of the people I've introduced the game too are shocked at the idea of four people playing a fighter at the same time that wasn't Brawl.

• Options
    Seems that Tecmo has been taking lessons from the other fighting game developers. And they're still taking things to the next level.

Even though, by their own admission, Team Ninja says that Dead or Alive 5 is ~15% done at best, they've announced a special pre-order bonus for Ninja Gaiden 3, which is a code to download an exclusive Dead or Alive 5 playable demo.

But that's not all: the demo comes in 2 flavours. For 360 players it's Hayabusa and Hitomi Ripple, while PS3 owners get to sample Hayate and Ayane Swirl. Unless they spring for the Ultimate Pre-Order Limited Special Edition of the game, then they get all 4 characters.

In further news about the game, Team Ninja has been making twitter posts to the effect of a 3.1-style dodge system (which I think is the only time dodging was ever worth anything), and that the new power attacks will go right through normal reversals.

And, in comforting news, Team Ninja still hates Tekken.

stream
  • Options
    TboyswagTboyswag Registered User new member
    Who I'd like to see as new characters
    1A Korean colledge student(female)
    2.A trinidadian rapper(female)
    3.A Irish-Canadian bounty hunter(female)
    4.Sonia from ninja gaiden
    5.A emo Japanese high school dropout(male)
    6.A white young American football player(male)
    Guest:Faith from mirrors edge
    Boss: A Greek goddess

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Soooo. . . new footage featuring Akira from Virtua Fighter apparently? I can't see from the Youtube links because they want you to sign in ("questionable content" and all that), but if true, could this be seen as either A) a shrewd marketing move by Sega, or B) a middle finger to Itagaki (who I believe used to be associated with AM2) saying "Look what we've got! You have to take us seriously now!"?

Either way, semi-hyped at the great looking stuff so far.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So far this is only considered a guest appearance in a Dead or Alive game, not an announcement of a full crossover. Akira being a guest character is not enough!

Although it's nice to see they've toned down the stupid hit-sparks. But they still look way too obvious when Akira is fighting, since I'm so used to seeing him without them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75vMsVAKV4&feature=channel

It should be no surprise that what they're calling an alpha build, something that only has 5-6 characters and maybe 3 stages, already has at least 2 or 3 alternate costumes for the female fighters. Dead or Alive is Dead or Alive.

My own speculation is that the new control scheme they're laying out will be specifically targeted at pad players. It gave me flashbacks to when Mortal Kombat went console exclusive and started using button setups that made it impossible to play properly on a stick. I don't think Dead or Alive will be that bad, but it's annoying.

Ninja Gaiden 3 comes out in a few weeks, which is when we'll get the first playable demo for Dead or Alive 5.

Speaking of Itagaki, he's still bitching about Tecmo and Dead or Alive. I don't know what to think about that, since Dead or Alive 2 got both an arcade and 2 console releases before Hardcore came out. I will say that Hardcore is my favourite game in the series (Ultimate may be better, but I played Hardcore way more).

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Apparently Sega will be publishing Dead or Alive 5. Things make a little more sense now.

I'm only disappointed about this reveal because it makes a full crossover game seem less likely.

stream
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Looks great and flashy, hope the gameplay holds up as well as the graphics do.

• Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Apparently Sega will be publishing Dead or Alive 5. Things make a little more sense now.

I'm only disappointed about this reveal because it makes a full crossover game seem less likely.

Woah, SEGA's gonna be publishing DOA5, both abroad and here? That's rather unusual. Where'd you get that info Page?

Also, I'm loving the little details like the gradual dirtying of the fighters' clothing, and I assume the "gradually progressive" backdrops will play out the same way each time, like a theme park ride? Hopefully that doesn't become something people will start planning their strategies out over and more of a "moment of opportunity" thing.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't get it. Why turn the most realistic xtreme beach volleyball simulator franchise into a fighting game all of a sudden?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    From what I understand. The Japanese version of DoA3 was actually pretty legit.

Then they released DoA4 and shit it up.

• Options
    Page- wrote: »

Woah, SEGA's gonna be publishing DOA5, both abroad and here? That's rather unusual. Where'd you get that info Page?

Also, I'm loving the little details like the gradual dirtying of the fighters' clothing, and I assume the "gradually progressive" backdrops will play out the same way each time, like a theme park ride? Hopefully that doesn't become something people will start planning their strategies out over and more of a "moment of opportunity" thing.

So far all the stage effects that have been shown are triggered by direct interaction from the players, so it'll be a lot like the tiered stages in past games where it's a choice which path to take and when.

For instance, in the Akira and Kasumi reveal the raft doesn't actually start moving until players have been knocked into the walls.

There was a UK site claiming that Sega would be publishing Dead or Alive 5 in exchange for the Akira guest spot, but apparently Sega is denying that now. All they've said is that Akira will be in the game.

The obvious question is who will be his partner, since past Dead or Alive games have been built around 2 fighter teams. Though there hasn't been a hint of tag stuff in any Dead or Alive media or press so far, so maybe they'll just quietly drop that. Which is just as odd because tag games are currently in fashion and Dead or Alive has always had the best tag system going.

stream
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why turn the most realistic xtreme beach volleyball simulator franchise into a fighting game all of a sudden?

I see wat u did there

I've casually played DOA from the beginning (my brother actually brought the Japanese Saturn version, which looked phenomenal at the time), and while lol DOAX was kinda fun as a carefree fanservicey game, it's a shame that the fanservice became more notable than DOA's gameplay itself. It's always been something of a more flashy, less technically demanding alternative to Virtua Fighter, which is by no means a bad thing if you couldn't quite get into VF like me. I'm actually liking the new sleeker character models and the de-emphasizing of the gals, but I hope the gameplay still has it where it counts.