As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    :o so many forum babies!

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Hey guys I guess I am having one of these kid things, maybe. Slightly freaked out.

"Slightly freaked out" is the appropriate response.

Congratulations and welcome to the fold!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Holy crap so many forum babies. I'll have to content myself with a nephew as child rearing with my job right now would be irresponsible.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Slightly freaked out is the appropriate response, but look at the bright side. The rest of us are surviving pretty well!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    sleeping_01.jpg

Sleeping baby +

sleeping_02.jpg

Sleeping husband = holy shit I just accomplished a lot

Now I just need to vacuum... which will probably wake both of them up, so I won't.
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Slightly freaked out is the appropriate response, but look at the bright side. The rest of us are surviving pretty well!

Hah, pretty much at the end of every day is the thought 'oh hey, Anya's still alive and has survived one more day unscathed'.
    I went to Mrs. Reaver's weekly OB appointment today and we got her scheduled for an induction on May 21-22. I have been getting more excited about meeting my new daughter over the last couple of weeks but actually scheduling labor made the fact that I'm going to be a father in a few weeks really sink in.

So many things going on around here. Both of our birthdays were last week, I'm graduating from law school this Saturday, baby is coming later this month, and I'm taking the bar in July.

Gonna be busy in the Reaver household for a while!

Woooo! :D

It's strange to schedule an induction so far in advance, though!

Janson on
  • Options
    I am amassing a large amount of photos of Anya falling asleep on me/Mori:
    sleep_01.jpg

sleep_02.jpg

sleep_03.jpg

sleep_04.jpg

Also my favourites of the non-sleeping photos and which I don't believe I've yet posted:
    awake_01.jpg

awake_02.jpg

awake_03.jpg

awake_04.jpg

(Pirate face)

• Options
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Dammit, we were supposed to have a scan this morning, but the cold snap made traffic quadruple. A 10-minute drive took 40 minutes, and we had missed our appointment. Jesus people, it's just a little rain. Put on a bigger jacket and do what you normally do.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Noooo! Hope you're able to reschedule one soon, Fishman!

• Options
    Also you also call it a scan!

I've received some strange reactions from Americans when referring to an u/s as a scan.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We've got another one in an urgent slot in the suburbs this afternoon, but I'll have to take time off work, which will cause some stress for various people who aren't me.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh man

I was sleeping with Anya next to me, and then she starts squirming and whining a bit

usually this means "Yo I'm hungry!" so I pick her up and take her to Rachel

and just as I'm passing Anya to Rachel, Anya rips this massive fart

and then immediately quiets down and relaxes

seriously it sounded like an adult

• Options
    Also I should render congratulations upon the denizens of this thread who deserve it. Or something.

Seriously, it's absolutely mad how many forumers are having kids now. Absolutely bonkers.
    But I guess were getting to the stage where the generation who grew up with videogames and computers through their entire lives are now at an age where we're having kids - with some frequency. Doesn't make it not crazy though. I mean, here we are, procreating and having healthy engaging lives that profit society at large while still trying to work out what games you can play one handed.

And I haven't wanted to go on a random shooting spree since at least last week.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man

I was sleeping with Anya next to me, and then she starts squirming and whining a bit

Haha yeah most baby farts sound just as big as adult farts(at least with my kid), it's pretty neat.

premium on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Oh man

Haha yeah most baby farts sound just as big as adult farts(at least with my kid), it's pretty neat.

This was the first of hers that sounded like that. It was unexpected!

• Options
    Oh man

This was the first of hers that sounded like that. It was unexpected!

Just wait until you get the first big mostly solid turd. It's one thing to have a huge diaper overflowing with liquid shit, but when you see this almost adult sized turd in your kids diaper you'll really be scratching your head. "How did this fit in that?"

• Options
    My three favourite items of baby gear (excepting my carriers):

1. The Boppy... I brought it to the hospital but didn't use it, as it was just as easy to wedge pillows in between me and the side of the bed. But lately it's been great! It stays nicely around my waist and none of our furniture has arms, so I can't do the pillow wedging at home. I can even sit at the desk and feed Anya and have both hands free to type/eat when I use it. Bonus use: it's a great head support for me when I'm reclining on the lovesac.

2. Diaper pail - I bought the Munchkin Arms & Hammer one after seeing that it was half the price of the Diaper Genie, but had just as good reviews. It is easy to use and I haven't smelled a damn thing.

3. The Aden + Anais swaddling muslin blankets - these are pricey, but if you can find them cheap (babysteals.com has them every now and then for 50% off) they're worth getting. They are huge and snuggly and airy, so not too hot for the summer (but easily doubled up for more warmth). Also there's always a corner free for mopping up spit-up. Note: They're sold at places like Target for cheaper than on their site/Amazon, but apparently the brand produces a slightly smaller/thinner blanket for those stores to sell.

• Options
    By Boppy do you mean the pillow that wraps around you for feeding/etc?
    Just curious because my wife had one of those pillows and it was great.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Also I should render congratulations upon the denizens of this thread who deserve it. Or something.

Seriously, it's absolutely mad how many forumers are having kids now. Absolutely bonkers.
    But I guess were getting to the stage where the generation who grew up with videogames and computers through their entire lives are now at an age where we're having kids - with some frequency. Doesn't make it not crazy though. I mean, here we are, procreating and having healthy engaging lives that profit society at large while still trying to work out what games you can play one handed.

And I haven't wanted to go on a random shooting spree since at least last week.

It is crazy! But like you said, also to be expected.

I've felt no desire to finish either ME3 or Skyrim since having Anya. Buuuut I must confess to watching a lot of TV.

They say not to watch TV when you're nursing; that it's a time to bond with your baby and interact with them. But half the time Anya's asleep or at least has her eyes closed, and I do try and talk and play with her at other times so... Eh, I will continue catching up on shows. ;) There's not exactly much else one can do when nursing!

• Options
    By Boppy do you mean the pillow that wraps around you for feeding/etc?
    Just curious because my wife had one of those pillows and it was great.

Yup! At the hospital I was afraid I might have wasted my money on it but noooope it's been super useful this last week!

• Options
    We were on the verge of buying a boppy, but my wife has been doing really well putting one of our normal pillows on her lap and letting the baby rest on it. That works really well, so, keeping as is.

Also, yes, video game time has decreased, but not gone away. Yay

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The boppy can do double duty when your kid's a little older, you can sit them up in it so that they can practice sitting on their own. Our daughter liked using it that way.

• Options
    I think it's largely useful for me because apart from the lack of armed furniture, the football hold position works best for me, so the side support is really appreciated!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    All this baby talk makes me want to post pictures of my 18 month old son. So...

559622_387548641290446_100001059393776_1148664_142535712_n.jpg

and

402062_333621163349861_100001059393776_1008121_280573730_n.jpg

My son STILL likes to carry his boppy around and lays on it when he's looking at his books.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Nah, we scheduled ours back in like November.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    The boppy can do double duty when your kid's a little older, you can sit them up in it so that they can practice sitting on their own. Our daughter liked using it that way.

Yup, good for laying them on their belly too. Certainly a convenience item, but at least has multiple uses.
    It's strange to schedule an induction so far in advance, though

The Citadel scheduled theirs like 10,000 years ago.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular

Our OB is a younger doctor and from what I understand, the new thing in child birthing is to induce or schedule an optional c-section around the time of the due date. The 21st is the beginning of week 39 for us, so it's right on schedule. I also think she (the OB) wanted to schedule it for that day is because she's the doctor at the hospital that night, so she would be there to deliver.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Our OB is a younger doctor and from what I understand, the new thing in child birthing is to induce or schedule an optional c-section around the time of the due date. The 21st is the beginning of week 39 for us, so it's right on schedule. I also think she (the OB) wanted to schedule it for that day is because she's the doctor at the hospital that night, so she would be there to deliver.

We had an emergency c-section for the first baby, so the doctor thought it would be best to do one for this baby, too. It was scheduled for 1 week before the actual due date, also on a day when she was on duty. Each method has its pro's and con's, but I must say the pro's of a c-section are pretty nice.

• Options
    You mad, mad Americans and your constant scheduling for births.

• Options
    Scheduling c sections is understandable and yes, usually done around 39 weeks because that usually guarantees the baby is mature enough to avoid an NICU stay while minimizing the risk of the lady going into labour by herself. But I understood that inductions are usually only done if the body has already shown signs of preparing for labour. (Medical conditions excepted, of course!)

I heard from one poor woman who was sent in to be induced and after a 3 day hospital stay and two rounds of cervadil and a high dose of pitocin absolutely nothing had happened, so they had to send her home!

• Options
    From what I've learned it varies quite a bit from state to state on scheduling c-sections and all that.

I know that our hospital/with our doctor they were all about doing it as natural as possible, which I think is fantastic. I'm not against modern medical aid at all, I just think for the most part the baby will come when it's ready.

And I will still say that even though we induced (twas because of small medical issues though)

• Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    Son
    Unknown004142.jpg

Daughter
    unknown002865.jpg

• Options
    tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    Janson, that poor woman! Pit was the devil for me. Well, that plus back labor. Arg, induction was no fun. Hopefully it won't be necessary next go around. Btw, LOVE the pics, particularly pirate face!!

Hooray babies! Congrats to those expecting!

• Options
    Son: knows he is cute, kind of smug

Daughter: dares you not to go "aww"

• Options
    Yeah, most likely is a state thing!

@tastypastry, I hear you there! I mean, things went pretty smoothly for me all things considered, but I keep thinking, what if I had asked them to hold off on the pitocin, or what if I'd waited at home a bit longer. Buuuut my OB said to go to the hospital and once there they pretty much told me they were starting me on pitocin and I was soooo tired and just wanting to get it over with that I didn't protest. Oh well! Next time I hope my water doesn't break first, or if it does I may hold off on going in until the last minute.

Spacehog - those are some photogenic kids! Quoth's comments are spot on. How can you not say d'awwwww to that face?!

• Options
    Scan done now. Right size, right shape, right number of limbs.

Also, kicking. I'm going to have a footballer.*

*:
    Even if I don't have a footballer I'll still be proud of them

• Options
    Woooo!

Yeah it's such a relief to know it's a) so far so healthy and b) not a figment of your imagination

• Options
    Gah

So lately Anya's been having a wakeful period between midnight and. 2.30 am, so I've learned not to go to bed until 3 am or so

So when she fell asleep on me at 12.30 am I didn't put her to bed because I was expecting her to wake up at any moment

Ditto at 1.30 am

Now it's nearly 3 am and I could've been asleep for the past 2 and a half hours and now I bet when she wakes up she'll be awake for a while

Siigh

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Janson, you just made me realize that in a few short years there will be people joining this forum who were not alive when I joined.

And.

I weep.

This is something I prepped myself for ages ago.

This discussion has been closed.