Options

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Glad to hear DC! I hope she recovers quite swimmingly.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    That's amazing.

I love that he even did the sprinkles on the body.

He didn't even have a reference picture at school, and he saw the video all of once. I guess it made some kind of impression on him.

I like showing my kids dumb internet videos just to see how they'll react, and I guess this one hit some kind of trigger.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Also Nyan Waits is my new favorite thing

EDIT: And I'm really glad to hear that everything went well, Distrupted

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yay DC! That's great news!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's excellent news DC, I hope she has a speedy recovery.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    It cracks me up when my 15-month old is totally upset about something, like I didn't give him another cracker or whatever, and I try to hand him a toy truck to calm him down, and he proceeds to follow the truck around the room, viciously whacking it with his hand, as a demonstration of how angry he is that I tried to placate him with a stupid toy.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear it went OK, DC!

@Yar, at 19 months mine just throws the toy at me. I make sure not to give her pointy things when she's upset. ;)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oh well, FUCK. So the hospital where Lily was born didn't do the newborn screening (AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO BY LAW) and as a result they missed that Lily has Toxoplasmosis. Fuckwads.

So now, she'll need a years-worth of antiprotozoal drugs and she might even go blind and have severe mental retardation.

I don't even know how she could have gotten it since we don't have cats and even avoided cats during the pregnancy.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Oh well, FUCK. So the hospital where Lily was born didn't do the newborn screening (AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO BY LAW) and as a result they missed that Lily has Toxoplasmosis. Fuckwads.

So now, she'll need a years-worth of antiprotozoal drugs and she might even go blind and have severe mental retardation.

I don't even know how she could have gotten it since we don't have cats and even avoided cats during the pregnancy.

Holy crap. Damn. What?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Raw meat, maybe?

• Options
    Yeah I thought the main culprit was actually outdoor birds and rodents, not cats (cats being sometimes in a lot of contact with them though).

• Options
    Holy shit DC, that sounds like lawsuit material to me.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh DC that is bullshit and I would seriously look into lawsuits

Because seriously how do you miss something that fucking important

• Options
    edited May 2012

Raw meat, maybe?

My wife is crazy when it comes to meat. When she was pregnant she had me cook our meat beyond well done (hockey-puck like). Additionally, I've always taken precautions while handling meat, including keeping a separate cutting board and washing hands/counters after preparing the meat (Thanks to @Stale 's great "Food Misadventures" thread, actually). I'd say it's very unlikely that it was from raw meat.

My best guess is that my parents have some filthy cats who shit on furniture. Or something. I'm more mad at the hospital though for failing to do what the law requires. EDIT: Department of Public Health regulations apparently.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ...son of a bitch, dude.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    At least you'll have no trouble paying for treatment with the millions you'll get from the idiots who didn't prevent this. Obviously not the best option but at least there is the hope that things will turn out for the best.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have a healthy child than millions of dollars. :(

Her Pediatrician asked us if the screenings had been done, since she couldn't see them in the records, and we just shrugged. So she made a few phone calls and found out it hadn't been done, so she ordered them last week. We took Lily in and figured nothing would come of it since most of these diseases are rare. Instead she called us up today frantic with the news.

I'm really happy with Lily's pd; she's been calling us frequently during the cardio process and following up on all tests and everything. Hopefully she can back us up if a lawsuit becomes necessary. (Hell, she gave us her cell phone #. How many doctors do that with their patients???)

EDIT: Next step is to do another test just to make sure it's not a false-positive. I really hope it's a false positive. :-S

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Oh god DC, you can't catch a break... that's terrible.
    Sadface x 10^24

Falsepositivefalsepositivefalsepositive *crosses fingers, closes eyes*

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ohman DC.

My heart is breaking.

I hope everything works out ok. I seriously do. All my thoughts and hugs and prayers are with you and your wife and little Lily.

• Options
    HammerHorrorHammerHorror Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have a healthy child than millions of dollars.

I say this every day. The very best of luck to you and your family, DC.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Oh geeze. Please be a false positive. Poor little girl's life is already going to be hard enough.

• Options
    Damn, DC. :( Poor Lily! I really hope it's a false positive.

• Options
    My organic chemistry practical was, "Here's the lab supply closet, make three different polymers in 30 minutes."

I made a huge cup of polyurethane and got to keep it after I was done, so I brought it home and my son was fascinated by it. We had a talk about what it was/where it came from/etc.

The next day, a friend came over and saw this hardened shapelesspolyurethane on my coffee table and raises her eyebrow quizzically. "What is that?"

Jacob doesn't miss a beat. He goes, "That's polyurethane. It's a polymer."

My son will never get a date.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    DC, if it's any consolation, from what I understand about toxoplasmosis false positives aren't exactly unheard of and the treatment is pretty effective especially if you start it within the first 3 months.
    Still sucks but uh... rays of hope and all that.

• Options
    I hope so @premium. I probably overreacted yesterday anyway since, well, y'know... I was coming off a very difficult weekend. 8-)

The nurse practitioner I spoke with last night was optimistic that there's nothing to worry about, so I hope she's right. Test results will be in by Friday.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    My organic chemistry practical was, "Here's the lab supply closet, make three different polymers in 30 minutes."

I made a huge cup of polyurethane and got to keep it after I was done, so I brought it home and my son was fascinated by it. We had a talk about what it was/where it came from/etc.

The next day, a friend came over and saw this hardened shapelesspolyurethane on my coffee table and raises her eyebrow quizzically. "What is that?"

Jacob doesn't miss a beat. He goes, "That's polyurethane. It's a polymer."

My son will never get a date.

Until he invents the polymer they use for the moon base

then he will get all the dates

(moon dates)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    The best case scenario is (if she has it) is she gets treated quickly and has no ill effects AND you get rich. Not saying it's worth a sick child but a few million bucks is a nice thing to have to help your healthy child grow up.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

What the fuck.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that, DC.

In less shitty news, the wife is home with double lung pneumonia. So is Sam and the dog. So yay for that.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Oh god

I was watching her sleep and trying to text a friend at the same time, and of course my phone slips out of my hand and lands on Anya's head. From a distance of about an inch but still arrrgh :((((

Anyway I rubbed her head for a while and she seems okay and you bet I am never doing that again.

Mori is still asleep! It's 10.30 am and I reckon even I got about 6 hours of sleep!

The only problem is, the way I attained this magical night was to have Anya sleeping on the bed right next to me (I tried to have her facing away but that didn't work).

Heh

My best friend, Joseph, wasn't watching his baby girl for the span of a couple seconds while she was on mommy's bed at the hospital, and she fell right onto the floor. Got a huge bump on her forehead for her trouble. Joseph was scared shitless and felt so bad he was literally crying about it when he got home.

I gave him a hug and told him that any child of his (Folks in his family are built like brick walls) wouldn't go down to anything shy of a truck, and that he should just be more careful and otherwise not worry himself sick about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I just discovered one of the most important parenting articles of my life

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GccPoseidonGccPoseidon Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that, DC.

In less shitty news, the wife is home with double lung pneumonia. So is Sam and the dog. So yay for that.

Good to hear man, hope she continues to feel better. How's the baby doing?

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Yanno...I agree with this suggestion. I will refer to this in about four or five years.

• Options
    My kids aren't even going to know that the prequels exist if I can help it. It's all original trilogy, Willow, and Ninja Turtles 2 for them.

• Options
    As long as my daughter likes Tangled and Miyazaki movies, I'm happy.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Fishman wrote: »

Oh wow!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »
    As long as my daughter likes Tangled and Miyazaki movies, I'm happy.

Miyazaki FTW!

I do like the suggested viewing order for the SW films, too... in an ideal world they'd never know the prequels were made, but as long as Clone Wars is a thing, there's no helping that, really.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I need to get my copy of Totoro back from my Brother-in-Law. That and the Indiana Jones movies.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    OK! Crisis averted.

The hospital did do the screenings after all, but they did them too early (within 24 hours of birth) so they were invalid. At that time, Lily had my wife's last name (it's always the mother's last name.) They did them again four days later and the Toxoplasmosis test was negative, but by then Lily's record was changed to my last name. So when Lily's pd called to get the records, she asked for the first set of records but didn't get them since they were invalid. She never knew to ask for the second since she didn't know Lily's name was changed half-way through our stay. The whole mix-up wasn't revealed until today when the hospital that did the surgery (different from the birth hospital) managed to get the correct records.

So Lily is fine! No need for any more tests. The test that came back positive was probably an aberration since Lily has been on so many meds in preparation for the surgery.

Let this be a lesson to those of you who are considering having babies: try to have the same last name as your spouse.

DisruptedCapitalist on
This discussion has been closed.