Options

Aliens: How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    xenomorphs > predators

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote:
    Guys

PREDATORS

BOOOO GET OFF THE STAGE

• Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    The best horror movie I've ever seen is The Thing. The practical effects in that movie are great.

I watched that movie again after seeing the prequel, it is soooo good

The prequel not so good, but enjoyable. I think its best enjoyed if you watch them one after the other, because the scene where they discover the norvegian camp in the 1982 movie becomes even more awesome since you actually saw all those things they discover (the axe in the wall, the block of ice, the charred remains).

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It makes me so sad that AVP and AVP2 were so bad

But then Predators was pretty cool so that's good

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    This thread ate a post of mine and now it won't show up as read. Weird.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    System Shock 2 had to be the creepiest game I've ever played. Between that little clip up there, and the AI, ugh, I'm amazed I even finished that game.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I love Paul Reiser in this film.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    At least the AVP books didn't suck

I think anyway, I read them when I was much younger

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The AVP comics are supposedly pretty good

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    what I can never quite figure out is if there are other aliens in the Aliens universe. The scene where they're talking about Acturian poon-tang or whatever. Im like, wait are they talking about having sex with another species, something genetically engineered? Particularly with the line "except your one was MALE"

I am a nerd.

and they talk about it being like a bug hunt. Implying there are other creatures on other worlds. Which kind of clashes with my idea of the universe, which seems very space-faring but not star Treky. Like I always assumed that the creatures were the first alien race they encountered.

I assume there is at least no other intelligent lifeforms, only creatures.

I assumed that the Arcturian system was the Bangkok of the galaxy.

I also thought that they said "not another bughunt" because their previous assignments had them being glorified exterminators who were only there to kill bothersome native wildlife.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote:

The Many's voice gives me chills to this day

Probably my favorite interpretation of the whole alien hivemind idea

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    denihilist wrote:
    This thread ate a post of mine and now it won't show up as read. Weird.

It's not showing up as read for me either now. You broke it!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Prohass wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:
    Prohass wrote:
    what I can never quite figure out is if there are other aliens in the Aliens universe. The scene where they're talking about Acturian poon-tang or whatever. Im like, wait are they talking about having sex with another species, something genetically engineered? Particularly with the line "except your one was MALE"

I am a nerd.

I don't know if humans ever had ongoing contact with alien species other than xenomorphs in the Alien series - but remember in the first Alien movie that big ass spacecraft with the eggs in it was some kind of alien ship, and there was a random dead alien unlike anything else that was shown inside it.

Oh yeah discounting the Space Jockey civilisation, which is kind of a part of the discovery of the xenomorphs, which is all under wraps. I mean culturally, like what do the people of this universe know about Aliens/creatures on other worlds? Is it common like Star Trek, rare, are aliens known to exist as micobes or animals, or is non-earth life basically unheard of so being confronted with xenomorphs is even more of a shock?

It seems to imply there are at least other creatures non-native to earth out there, in the kind of off-hand 'classification' of xenomorphs.

There is indigenous flora/fauna on some of the other planets that humans have colonized, but they have not encountered any actual alien civilizations, or the remains thereof. At least not officially.

So when they talk about a "bug hunt" they're referring to having to track down the stupid space antbear that attacked and killed someone.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Guys the Prometheus trailer makes my dick rock hard

Is this normal

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    This is probably my favorite action movie of all time.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Crowbawt wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:

The Many's voice gives me chills to this day

Probably my favorite interpretation of the whole alien hivemind idea

the shodan reveal

was

so

creepy

• Options
    I really hope we get more SHODAN someday, and hopefully in a good game.

• Options
    AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Prohass wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

I am a nerd.

I don't know if humans ever had ongoing contact with alien species other than xenomorphs in the Alien series - but remember in the first Alien movie that big ass spacecraft with the eggs in it was some kind of alien ship, and there was a random dead alien unlike anything else that was shown inside it.

Oh yeah discounting the Space Jockey civilisation, which is kind of a part of the discovery of the xenomorphs, which is all under wraps. I mean culturally, like what do the people of this universe know about Aliens/creatures on other worlds? Is it common like Star Trek, rare, are aliens known to exist as micobes or animals, or is non-earth life basically unheard of so being confronted with xenomorphs is even more of a shock?

It seems to imply there are at least other creatures non-native to earth out there, in the kind of off-hand 'classification' of xenomorphs.

There is indigenous flora/fauna on some of the other planets that humans have colonized, but they have not encountered any actual alien civilizations, or the remains thereof. At least not officially.

So when they talk about a "bug hunt" they're referring to having to track down the stupid space antbear that attacked and killed someone.

For years I thought the Xenomorph was actually the first alien species encountered by humans and that when Hudson said 'bug hunt', he meant like a wild goose chase for some gribbly somebody thought they saw but didn't. And Arcturian poontang was Space ladyman hookers.

But then one day I noticed the dropship sports the decal "BUG STOMPER - We endanger species", so my take took a 180 to being that the Xenomorph was a newly encountered species - and one that proves to be possibly the most dangerous humans have encountered - but that there are lots of alien species out there. It seems the Marines most of the time are taking out troublesome populations of presumably low intelligence, low opposition alien fauna.

Footnote: Just found out after all these years lusting after her, that Ferro's flight helmet reads "Fly the friendly skies" not "Fly me friendly". Dreams, shattered.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I dunno.

She's cool, but Kieron Gillen's "The Girl Who Wanted to be God" makes a good argument for her not coming back.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:

I dunno.

She's cool, but Kieron Gillen's "The Girl Who Wanted to be God" makes a good argument for her not coming back.

No idea what that is.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:

I dunno.

No idea what that is.

Good, I get to link it.

As is standard for Gillen, the name is a reference to a Manic Street Preachers song.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    The alien vs predator books were pretty good as well as the dark horse comics and the Aliens comics as well actually.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    Aliens is probably my favourite movie. I can just watch it over and over. I fell in love with it watching it over lunch hours at my friend's house in Jr. High.

Fuck I love me some Aliens.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    Aliens is probably my favourite movie. I can just watch it over and over. I fell in love with it watching it over lunch hours at my friend's house in Jr. High.

Fuck I love me some Aliens.

'Twas the first movie I ever bought.

WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    It's weird to think that the movie is over a quarter of a century old now.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Best Aliens rip-off game goes to Alien Swarm.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TrippyJing wrote:
    It's weird to think that the movie is over a quarter of a century old now.

Yeah it's kinda crazy huh? Stands up pretty well though objectively. Alien, while having an extra 7 years on it, does appear slightly more dated. You do get a strong 70's vibe from parts of it. Mind you, the 'future fashion' (hearing scene, etc) in Aliens does reek a little of 90's sci-fi movies concepts of the near future.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote:
    everybody who has not already needs to play Dead Space 1 and 2, because they are both fantastic games and almost complete analogues of Alien and Aliens

I mean really absolutely fantastic games

also, DS2 managed to have a female lead who retained her femininity and was completely believable and also a goddamn badass

I can't do this because I enjoy sleeping too much

• Options
    The beeping motion detector was a stroke of genius.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    So Prometheus isn't supposed to be an Alien prequel? Because it sure as fuck looks like an Alien prequel, what with the jockey ship and the blatant as hell tease of using the fading in Alien text.

Or are they just saying "not an Alien prequel" in the sense that there are no xenomorphs? Seems like semantics to me!

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote:
    Guys

PREDATORS

I liked this movie.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Adus wrote:
    So Prometheus isn't supposed to be an Alien prequel? Because it sure as fuck looks like an Alien prequel, what with the jockey ship and the blatant as hell tease of using the fading in Alien text.

Or are they just saying "not an Alien prequel" in the sense that there are no xenomorphs? Seems like semantics to me!

It's a prequel. It doesn't have xenomorphs, but Fassbender and Lindelof have said in interviews that there's no question it's a prequel.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Adus wrote:

It's a fucking prequel

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Veretas wrote:
    Adus wrote:

It's a fucking prequel

This

The only reason Scott refuses to call it a prequel is because if he did, then people would bitch about how "OH IT'S NOT GOOD AS ALIEN" or some shit and he wants people to come in and like it no excuses

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Well I'm pretty excited about it. The jockey was always one of the most mysterious things about Alien. I guess I'm kinda worried that knowing about it might ruin what makes it so interesting, but I think if anyone can make it work it's the guy who directed Alien in the first place.

• Options
    Belated trailer thoughts:

I never thought I would love a one minute long movie trailer

I especially never thought a one minute long movie trailer would sell me on seeing a movie. Day one.

Then I saw the Prometheus trailer. Holy shit.

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    I really wish I had Aliens on DVD right now.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it is a prequel or not it may kind of be within the same timeline as one of the 3 Alien movies. Hopefully a date is revealed somewhere and we can figure it out. I can see the reasoning though wanting it be be judged on its own merits. Also I am not sure how well I believe the no Xenomorphs, it would appear that the space jockeys and Xenos might have a close relationship somehow so I think they may play some role.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Predators was a pretty good movie and actually a way more worthy sequel to Predator than Predator 2 could ever have been

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Adus wrote:
    Well I'm pretty excited about it. The jockey was always one of the most mysterious things about Alien. I guess I'm kinda worried that knowing about it might ruin what makes it so interesting, but I think if anyone can make it work it's the guy who directed Alien in the first place.

Don't worry, it WILL ruin what makes it so interesting. Not knowing is what makes mysteries so interesting. However, also don't worry because he will make it work. These two outcomes are not mutually exclusive.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg