As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Cosplay Thread

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Yea, that's the same image I've been trying to use for reference. After breaking it all down piece by piece, it's starting to look much more simple to make as long as I can find the base pieces of clothing to modify.

Thanks for the advice with the jacket though, that's the main part that I've been kind of skeptical about. Wasn't sure how to make the patchwork sort of look on a jacket, especially since I have very little experience sewing. How well would fabric paint work? I thought about doing something like that since I don't really have much sewing experience and then just adding stitching to make it give it the patchwork look, but I wasn't sure if it would end up looking crummy.

I was thinking about cheating a bit and using my own hat since I got a Mad Hatter hat as a gift a couple years back (actually the same one as what's recommended in that link), but you've changed my mind. That's definitely a much better fit. Mine is obnoxiously large and a bit flimsy, so glad you found that!

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    Well, fabric paint honestly won't look 100% right. When I was using it to modify our Riddler's jacket, the painted parts came out somewhat leathery. It's definitely the quick and dirty option, but if you don't mind that kind of look, that'd definitely be the way to go.

Alternative option would be to use the iron-on applique technique, if you haven't got a sewing machine and are not confident with one but can handle a pair of scissors and an iron with facility. Scroll down to the bit about fusible adhesive for tips on how to actually use the stuff. It might take a little longer and be a little more expensive, but this method is still pretty easy and will give you the best-looking results.

For the stitches themselves, I'd use yarn or embroidery thread, something nice and thick so it'll actually show.

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll look into using the fusible adhesive, and if that doesn't work out and I can't find a way to sew it, I'll use the fabric paint as a last resort. Now back to the challenge of finding a jacket to use. Still haven't been able to find something that looks right to build on.

• Options
    MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    So last year we tried to organize an official Cosplay meet up and it kind of failed (mostly because we didn't solidify a good meeting place and picked a bad time) Anyone interested in trying to to do this again? I think if we plan ahead and make the meet up widely known it could be really fun! If anyone is interested in organizing this with me or is already in the process of doing so and I just didn't get the memo, let me know! :)

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
  • Options
    ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    MissMoogle wrote: »
    So last year we tried to organize an official Cosplay meet up and it kind of failed (mostly because we didn't solidify a good meeting place and picked a bad time) Anyone interested in trying to to do this again? I think if we plan ahead and make the meet up widely known it could be really fun! If anyone is interested in organizing this with me or is already in the process of doing so and I just didn't get the memo, let me know! :)

I think an official meet up would be a great idea. It'll be hard to pick a time for absolutely everyone to be able to make it, but that's just in the nature of PAX I guess. I'd definitely say sometime Saturday, not sure what time would be best.

• Options
    satyr16satyr16 Registered User regular
    I'm with the idea of doing a cosplay meet up. We did something like that last year with maybe 12+ people or so. Just did a few poses with this one guy for a few photos. Was fun though.
    As Arcanic said it's difficult to get everyone at a place at the same time due to panels and other obligations. I would recommend the Rock Band Free Play area for a meet up point though. Saturday would be the best day too.

• Options
    I like the idea, sounds like some good fun.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Would love a meetup!

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Would love a meetup!

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Radioactive_RatRadioactive_Rat Somewhere in NJRegistered User regular
    Anyone going as any Kirby characters? I'll be bringing out King Dedede for Saturday.
    Friday will be Mimi from Super Paper Mario.
    Sunday I will just be myself unless I have a good reason to bring another cosplay out :3

• Options
    PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    My Pink Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger costume should be ready well before then, so I'll probably be wearing it on Friday - and I'm stoked about that, but I'm giving serious thought to trying to hire an assistant for the day so I'll have someone to hold my stuff while I'm posing for pictures, hand out contact cards, etc. For Saturday, I'm thinking I may go with my steampunk airship captain ensemble, which I'm premiering this Halloween, though I may need to look into some different weapons, as the ones I have may not fit the criteria (the gun is cast resin and can't fire, and isn't really a realistic design, but might be conceivably be mistaken for an actual firearm on a glance or two; the dagger/short sword is hard plastic and might conceivably scrape someone, though it'd probably take some effort). And for Sunday I may do my dark faerie queen costume from last year (crown's crooked in both these pictures -- I fixed it later, but still haven't found any pictures where it's on straight):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3692541754994&set=t.1318776521&type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3692576155854&set=t.1318776521&type=3&theater

Are you on Facebook Rangers?

Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    back from my trip so officially able to think about my cosplay - anyone have suggestions for where to buy 2 over-sized round joysticks? Might have to make them, but would love to just buy one so it is more realistic (hopefully).

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll look into using the fusible adhesive, and if that doesn't work out and I can't find a way to sew it, I'll use the fabric paint as a last resort. Now back to the challenge of finding a jacket to use. Still haven't been able to find something that looks right to build on.

Maybe this? The epaulettes are fine from other reference images I've seen, though could cover them in a different fabric with the patch method. You'd need to remove all the buttons, add a couple belts and the toggle/buckle thingies. Sleeve length doesn't matter much since you'll be rolling them up. If it's a little tight across the chest, that's fine as it'll be worn open anyway. Just make sure it's the right length to hit you mid-calf. Optional slit in the back, if you feel confident enough sewing/ironing that. Might need to figure out how to enlarge the collar, though...could sacrifice the epaulettes to add some fabric there? Though that would require some potentially tricky sewing/ironing.

Alternatively, one could attempt dying this one slightly green.

Fidchel on
    PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Options
    MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    Ok so far I've heard most people say Saturday would be a good day to do a cosplay meet up, and I agree. I think we should wait for the schedule to be posted before discussing times and such. I like the idea of meeting up at the Rock Band Free Play area, but its still up for debate of course if someone has any other ideas!

Hopefully when we get closer to the date we can get a better idea of how many people are interested in doing this! I would really like to make a Facebook group as well, because many of my friends (who are not on these forums) might want to come to this meet up too. Anyone who is interested in coming to the meet-up, feel free to send me a friend request (link to my fb is in the sig.) I would like to make this public and see how many cosplayers we can get together at once! This will also be the best way I can reach out to my friends who are photographers, who I'm sure would love a chance to get all the cosplayers in one room. And if any of you are interested in getting some free pro cosplay photos, I would be happy to connect you with some of the awesome photographers who I know that will be there! ^_^

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
  • Options
    Radioactive_RatRadioactive_Rat Somewhere in NJRegistered User regular
    I would like to go to this meet up. If it is on Saturday, I'll be King Dedede. I'm not hard to miss :3

• Options
    Fidchel wrote: »

Maybe this? The epaulettes are fine from other reference images I've seen, though could cover them in a different fabric with the patch method. You'd need to remove all the buttons, add a couple belts and the toggle/buckle thingies. Sleeve length doesn't matter much since you'll be rolling them up. If it's a little tight across the chest, that's fine as it'll be worn open anyway. Just make sure it's the right length to hit you mid-calf. Optional slit in the back, if you feel confident enough sewing/ironing that. Might need to figure out how to enlarge the collar, though...could sacrifice the epaulettes to add some fabric there? Though that would require some potentially tricky sewing/ironing.

Alternatively, one could attempt dying this one slightly green.

First one is probably the best one I've seen yet, think I'll go with that one. Really appreciate all the help.

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Is a handmade bow without the string and a quiver of rods with feathers attached on one end ("arrows") acceptable? I think I saw some people with unstrung bows before, but I don't remember seeing arrow props.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Actual arrows would not be allowed, but some blunt rods with feathers attached would be fine. If you had a prop "arrow" which clearly had a foam or blunt tip that would be fine as well.

The bow unstrung or with a string that couldn't be pulled back (ie a prop string) would be fine as well.

Thank you for asking.

• Options
    Mistress_IshboMistress_Ishbo Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    If things work out in my favor. So far it has. I will be Storm from X-Men, 1992 cartoon version. I got with wig, the contacts, and the earrings. My friend is a pro seamstress so she will be a big help. I have lost 81 pounds so far and I got 19 more to lose till I reach my goal. I will be Storm ready by March! At least I hope so! :P

• Options
    Got the suit today. Just need the dress shirt, glasses, and maybe a crown and Simon Petrikov will be done.

• Options
    cyanidesun797cyanidesun797 Registered User regular
    What do you think about organizing a meet up for Friday too, for people who can't make it Saturday?

• Options
    Thinking of switching my Burned Man costume with a Hotline Miami one.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    What do you think about organizing a meet up for Friday too, for people who can't make it Saturday?

That's an option. And if people can make it to both, they can do that, too. : p

• Options

Hell why not both days? The more the merrier. Maybe even go out and about in the streets nearby in search for food.

• Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    I'll go to any meetups that don't conflict with panels. And since I'll be bringing two costumes, I'd love to do meetups as both.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    raistliinraistliin master nerdlord bostonRegistered User new member
    i'll be cosplaying as lux from league of legends!
    hopefully for both saturday and sunday, if my percussive unit doesn't kill me first o:

HOO HOO PAX YEAR NUMBA THREE
    classic leblanc (fri&sat&sun)
    badges [x] hotel [x] leblanc [3%]
    panic [100%]
  • Options
    riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    Talia is done and ready to go!

Here's some recent fun I had in Epcot with the cosplay: http://riathewolf.tumblr.com/post/39845160002/talia-al-ghul-epcot-photoshoot-part-1

Now to start dying fabrics and painting flowers for Terra lol.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    elle21 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go as a female version of Marty McFly for one of the days, then a pokeball for the other day. I'm not sure if the pokeball would be a lame idea though. Thoughts?

Dueling Marty's :lol: :highfive:
    Also a meetup on Sat would be cool :3

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    T101T101 Registered User regular
    Any Deadpools going this year? I'm thinking thats what I'll be doing.

• Options
    T101T101 Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »
    Is a handmade bow without the string and a quiver of rods with feathers attached on one end ("arrows") acceptable? I think I saw some people with unstrung bows before, but I don't remember seeing arrow props.
    I would just remove the tips of the arrows. should be good then.

• Options
    elle21elle21 Registered User new member
    Wulf wrote: »
    Dueling Marty's :lol: :highfive:
    Also a meetup on Sat would be cool :3
    Yeah! :D I'm debating if I want to make a 'hoverboard' to carry around or not.
    I'm definitely up for a meetup, Friday or Saturday with everyone.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    T101 wrote: »
    kemikal wrote: »
    I would just remove the tips of the arrows. should be good then.

From the PAX FAQ
    It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

If you bring "arrows" then they must be blunt and unable to pierce skin at all.

• Options
    BonniesBonnies Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »
    back from my trip so officially able to think about my cosplay - anyone have suggestions for where to buy 2 over-sized round joysticks? Might have to make them, but would love to just buy one so it is more realistic (hopefully).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Arcade-Joystick-Red-Ball-Design-Switchable-from-8-way-to-4-way-operation-/121034631734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e39ea36

Something like this? Are you going as arcade sona? =)

• Options
    Progress of my redeemed riven costume =) I just finished the chest piece, came out better than i though, there are some little crack i need to patch up or so far so good! I don't know how to walk around in this all day long... lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151350281022888&set=a.10151294251127888.493221.502472887&type=3&theater

more pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151294251127888.493221.502472887&type=3

Yea last year I thought we are planning a meeting, show up 2 days (some say friday, some say saturday) and no one showed up =( I hope this year is different. =)

• Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Bonnies wrote: »
    Yea last year I thought we are planning a meeting, show up 2 days (some say friday, some say saturday) and no one showed up =( I hope this year is different. =)

Wait... were you the other person at the Friday meetup? I was the TF2 RED Medic.

I want to see a big meetup. I would love a group picture.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Bonnies wrote: »
    Something like this? Are you going as arcade sona? =)

Those might work - gotta figure out how big they are but hoping to :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    Regiment wrote: »

Wait... were you the other person at the Friday meetup? I was the TF2 RED Medic.

I want to see a big meetup. I would love a group picture.

Hey! Yes I am! =) I am working on something bigger this time!

• Options
    EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'll be there cosplaying all three days. I'd love to see a cosplay meetup, let's make it happen!

My current plans are:

Friday: The Independent (Assassin's Creed III)
    paxpostalsoomse.png

Saturday: Shining Blade/Masquerade Armor (Guild Wars 2)
    paxpostgw23.png

Sunday: Vanille (FFXIII) or Peach (SSBB), still deciding
    paxpostvanille.png
    paxpostPEACH.png

Enayla on
    Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
  • Options
    Enayla wrote: »
    I'll be there cosplaying all three days. I'd love to see a cosplay meetup, let's make it happen!

My current plans are:

paxpostalsoomse.png

paxpostGW2SECOND.png

paxpostvanille.png
    paxpostPEACH.png

That's you in that awesome cosplay!?!? (Masquerade Armor) Good Job! I didn't see you in person but saw pictures =) it is awesome =)

• Options
    Enayla wrote: »

My current plans are:

paxpostalsoomse.png

paxpostgw23.png

paxpostvanille.png
    paxpostPEACH.png

I especially like the look of the Assassin's Creed III one and Vanille. Never seen a FFXIII cosplay the the cons I've been so it'd be a nice change in pace.

This discussion has been closed.