As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    I remember when FO3 came out and I was apprehensive about the idea of it being set up with the first-person view, but the first time I played through the game I had a ton of fun. The exploring vaults and ghoul-filled metro stations, Megaton, the heart of DC...

The retread ground didn't bother me at all because it was a whole new perspective and the story bits that they pulled were different enough that it wasn't a travesty.

Then I got NV and it just improved upon things. The systems were tighter, the deathclaws were deadlier and the Wasteland continued to move on. I've put a ton of time into both of them and I'll still pop them in to play now.

I can't say the same about the first two games. I played them a lot early in their lifespan, but I can't really get into them much these days. I know all the paths and sweet equipment locations. I've played super geniuses and drooling idiots. They're great for nostalgia's sake, but they're rough to play through nowadays.

I'm not sure why people hold such reverence for old games or movies or cartoons. It's like arguing about the new Michael Bay TMNT movie, or the two latest G.I. Joe movies or whatever. Go back and look at some of those cartoons from (possibly) your childhood now and they look pretty ridiculous.

Times change, IPs change hands and move on, for better or worse. At least people know what you're talking about now when you're talking about Fallout and Vaults and the NCR.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's a completely different subgenre.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    There's no way to get Hanlon to cut it out without either being pro-Legion or killing Caesar, is there?
    Well, you can let him kill himself, which isn't great for the Rangers, but doesn't cause the NCR any real issues. Plus you get a free Sequioa.

Aside from that, apparently merely discovering Caesar's illness will convince him to knock it off. I'm not sure if it'll be enough, but you can try to interrogate the Legionary at McCarran to discover Caesar's headaches.
    I don't think it would be (I already dealt with Silus, unfortunately, but I don't have a big problem with starting over or consoling the quest reset if it would work). He just says Caesar has headaches and they sometimes prevent him from working for days. Hmm, maybe I'll start a new game and see if it's enough.

Looking at the game files, playing doctor isn't enough. There's only one trigger for persuading him, and it's death. Although it seems possible that a mod could add another trigger with a new global variable in it, and put a journal somewhere in Caesar's tent activating it. Anyone good at modding NV wanna help?

• Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's a completely different subgenre.

Sure, but it's the same argument. Being a video game, a movie or some other medium doesn't make it fundamentally different. Things change and new people purchase IPs to put their own spin on it or to cash in. If it didn't make money they'd stop doing it.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The AAA model is an entirely different argument altogether. That's like saying every game should be like cod or wow

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I just finished Fallout: Tactics. My first time through the game back in the day, the final levels were nightmares. Hordes of super resilient, accurate, killer robots with the best weapons in the game. This time, I actually managed an iron man run on normal difficulty. High big guns and energy weapon skills, plus lots of drugs meant a fairly easy win without using turn based mode. I lost some soldiers, but eh, they got their weapons and armor damaged. Which means it was time for a week in the box... or longer.

It also really, REALLY helps to have several soldiers with laser rifles acting as snipers. If you set them to auto target eyes and headshots, they'll demolish pretty much everything out of cover. Then just send in the troops with auto shotguns and heavy weapons for CQC.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Damnit, New Vegas.

I always finish one run with energy weapons, feel the urge to restart with guns, then immediately miss turning enemies into ash. I don't see how I could possibly be any more addicted to this game.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Damnit, New Vegas.

I always finish one run with energy weapons, feel the urge to restart with guns, then immediately miss turning enemies into ash. I don't see how I could possibly be any more addicted to this game.

Have you ever tried explosive .50 MG rounds? Or 25/40mm plasma grenades? Get GRA, play guns+explosives.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Ironman mode.

• Options
    harvest wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »
    Damnit, New Vegas.

Have you ever tried explosive .50 MG rounds? Or 25/40mm plasma grenades? Get GRA, play guns+explosives.

I really like the sound of all of those things.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Explosives is the best way to play New Vegas, and surprisingly viable.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I like punching people so hard they explode into gibs. Always be picking Bloody Mess, and maxxing strength, agility, luck, and unarmed skills. More crits, better crits, stonewall, super slam, finesse, piercing strike, unstoppable force, action boy/girl, slayer, nerves of steel, grim reapers sprint...

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    That was the main problem, yes. A Brotherhood Outpost as a referential point, sure. The Enclave made sense, too. But FO3 retreads a lot of ground FO1 and FO2 covered and it didn't need to.

The revival of the Fallout franchise was by no means a sure thing. It was better to show a new audience why people liked the old Fallouts, rather than something totally new right away which would have had a high likelihood of pleasing no one and killing the series a final time.

It's not like Bethesda didn't outbid other companies for the rights to it....

Oh come on, Bethesda were just great fans of the franchise. You know, so great that they didn't want the original creators getting those rights back.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    FO3 ages poorly, but when I first played it I thought it was very good.

I would have made different choices regarding worldbuilding and storytelling, though, even at the time.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    FO3 ages poorly, but when I first played it I thought it was very good.

I would have made different choices regarding worldbuilding and storytelling, though, even at the time.

Yep. Bethesda can't write. I actually bought TESO... the writing is even more boring than Skyrim's.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Explosives is the best way to play New Vegas, and surprisingly viable.

I like to double major in explosives and shotgun; And Stay Back is hilarious and overpowered and with the GRA shotgun rounds there's some great versatility.

Higher DT targets? Flechette rounds.
    Robuts? Pulse slugs.
    Set fools on fire? Dragon breath.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    explosives and melee works nice too, though the need to double up on melee/unarmed means it's pretty skill point hungry

explosives aren't just surprisingly viable, they're probably one of the out and out best weapon types. you don't need anything fancier than thump-thump and a couple of frag grenades to brutalize basically anything

and yet the game gives you Mercy

Elendil on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    explosives and melee works nice too, though the need to double up on melee/unarmed means it's pretty skill point hungry

explosives aren't just surprisingly viable, they're probably one of the out and out best weapon types. you don't need anything fancier than thump-thump and a couple of frag grenades to brutalize basically anything

and yet the game gives you Mercy

I just got Mercy and Annabell. I'm in heaven.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'll never forget the time I broke into the Enclave airbase in Broken Steel armed only with advanced power armor, a mega power fist and more med-x in my veins than blood.

It was glorious.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I've always had a preference to the bigger booms of the 40mm weapons over the 25mm (or better yet, missile launchers, though ammo is a bit scarcer in the start.). Even Red Glare is a little too small for my liking, though the faster projectiles and pretty red explosions are nice.

Too bad I usually use explosivrs a liiiitttllle too close.

Incidentally I burn through a shitload of doctor's bag and Hydras. Totally worth it though.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Mini nuke or GTFO

• Options
    I've always had a preference to the bigger booms of the 40mm weapons over the 25mm (or better yet, missile launchers, though ammo is a bit scarcer in the start.). Even Red Glare is a little too small for my liking, though the faster projectiles and pretty red explosions are nice.

Incidentally I burn through a shitload of doctor's bag and Hydras. Totally worth it though.

I'm playing PN-FOOK Convergence, and I found a 25mm Grenade Launcher that works with a 6 or 8 round box magazine, instead of being manually loaded into the tube magzine under the barrel. It's amazing. I didn't really care about 25mm grenades before this, but when you can puke them out this fast, they're awesome.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    Look, the GMG is just cheating. If you want to put a single grenade out there in a specific spot, a launcher or rifle is the way to go. Plus, I only have 5 strength.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Ugh. I'd really like to make this Hanlon mod, but Bethesda's GECK site isn't that helpful for mods that add to existing content, as opposed to doing their own thing entirely, and everything else I've found is just for installing and managing mods.

• Options
    harvest wrote: »

I'm playing PN-FOOK Convergence, and I found a 25mm Grenade Launcher that works with a 6 or 8 round box magazine, instead of being manually loaded into the tube magzine under the barrel. It's amazing. I didn't really care about 25mm grenades before this, but when you can puke them out this fast, they're awesome.

AG Supplementary Uniques mod here, just grabbed a 40mm semi auto with 10 round mag. Shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I'm gonna go find a nice pile of Legion to test it out on tonight.

And I really should use mininukes but I always feel the need to hoard them; then I have a million left at end game and nothing to use them on. Bah, I should just burn through 'em, especially with the added GRA nukes. Though it's a dangerous thing to use with Splash Damage.

• Options
    I make my mini nukes into mines. Seems fun to me :)

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't use mininukes

they do a good job of killing you, and a bad job at killing whatever horrible beast is in your sights

• Options
    They're good at clearing bunkers. What's that, legionnaire? You have a hunting rifle? That's cute.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you need to use them outdoors. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outdoors.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    That was the main problem, yes. A Brotherhood Outpost as a referential point, sure. The Enclave made sense, too. But FO3 retreads a lot of ground FO1 and FO2 covered and it didn't need to.

The revival of the Fallout franchise was by no means a sure thing. It was better to show a new audience why people liked the old Fallouts, rather than something totally new right away which would have had a high likelihood of pleasing no one and killing the series a final time.

Oh come on, Bethesda were just great fans of the franchise. You know, so great that they didn't want the original creators getting those rights back.

I'm just glad the IP got out from under Interplay and more importantly into the hands of a group who would actually develop the game as opposed to to just sitting the IP and hope to hit the jackpot on licensing the IP out later (like, any of the Lucas IP's).

It's really too bad that creative development teams that make fun games seem to be awful with money, and soulless money grubbing publishers wind up in possession of... well everything.

• Options
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Achire wrote: »

I'm just glad the IP got out from under Interplay and more importantly into the hands of a group who would actually develop the game as opposed to to just sitting the IP and hope to hit the jackpot on licensing the IP out later (like, any of the Lucas IP's).

It's really too bad that creative development teams that make fun games seem to be awful with money, and soulless money grubbing publishers wind up in possession of... well everything.

Big teams and companies can take the game in new directions. Nothing too bad with that. But Interplay had fallen into a severe rut and while its not the Fallout we used to know, its still something.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    215504262_cSCGQ-L-2.jpg

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I feel bad for people who actually got hyped about their Fallout MMO.

There was no fucking way that was getting off the ground.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I feel bad for people who actually got hyped about their Fallout MMO.

There was no fucking way that was getting off the ground.

Yeah. Especially now in this market

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I wonder how viable it would be to setup individual servers with player limites similar to Minecraft for a Fallout MMO.

You know, so people can set up certain restraints within the servers like one's pretty much for salvaging and rebuilding, another is for raiding other player camps...

On second thought, the whole thing would need to not be a traditional MMO... so yeah, it's not gonna happen.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I think the idea of a small player cap, multiplayer version of Fallout 3/NV would be incredible. Make it 4-8 players or something small so you don't have to deal with with any real sort of balancing or serious netcode issues, but still enough for people to play together and set up persistent servers (I'm thinking Freelancer way back when).

There's hurdles that would have to be overcome; VATS would have to be reworked, but I'm a fan of the idea.

On the other hand I'm also perfectly fine keeping the series single player, so hey, win/win.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I think the idea of a small player cap, multiplayer version of Fallout 3/NV would be incredible. Make it 4-8 players or something small so you don't have to deal with with any real sort of balancing or serious netcode issues, but still enough for people to play together and set up persistent servers (I'm thinking Freelancer way back when).

There's hurdles that would have to be overcome; VATS would have to be reworked, but I'm a fan of the idea.

On the other hand I'm also perfectly fine keeping the series single player, so hey, win/win.

The problem is that a lot of what makes the fallout series good is what also made the KotoR series good, stories and character (excluding Carth for many people). That was hard for Bioware to transfer over and they had space ships. Bethesda has never been strong with intimate stories and would struggle in making this.

• Options

You would have to target and shoot with VATS in real time. I don't think the issue would be so much making it work, but making it not cause rage amongst the fanbase.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    A Fallout mmo doesn't make much sense to me. The series has never been multiplayer and has always focused on the adventures of a lone wanderer who ends up changing things in big ways. How the hell would a mmo even begin to reflect that feeling? I honestly don't think the setting lends itself to multiplayer. Even if you went with hub cities and instanced wastelands having a bunch of people running around or joining you on quests would kill the Fallout vibe.

"I see everything twice!"