As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    A Fallout mmo doesn't make much sense to me. The series has never been multiplayer and has always focused on the adventures of a lone wanderer who ends up changing things in big ways. How the hell would a mmo even begin to reflect that feeling? I honestly don't think the setting lends itself to multiplayer. Even if you went with hub cities and instanced wastelands having a bunch of people running around or joining you on quests would kill the Fallout vibe.

Wasn't Fallout one of the first RPGs to have non-player generated party members? @C2b

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    A Fallout mmo doesn't make much sense to me. The series has never been multiplayer and has always focused on the adventures of a lone wanderer who ends up changing things in big ways. How the hell would a mmo even begin to reflect that feeling? I honestly don't think the setting lends itself to multiplayer. Even if you went with hub cities and instanced wastelands having a bunch of people running around or joining you on quests would kill the Fallout vibe.

Exactly! There are wasteland MMO's, but their successes have been.....

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Wasn't Fallout one of the first RPGs to have non-player generated party members? @C2b

Not even close.

Ultima IV had it beaten by a decade. Dragon Warrior II, heck, Chrono Trigger came out before Fallout!

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I got bored a couple towns into Fallout New Vegas last time I tried to play it, but for some reason I got it into my head I want to try hardcore mode.

If anything, I think I'm gonna mod the hell out of it this time and try again.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I got bored a couple towns into Fallout New Vegas last time I tried to play it, but for some reason I got it into my head I want to try hardcore mode.

If anything, I think I'm gonna mod the hell out of it this time and try again.

Only complaint I have about Hardcore mode is bullet weights, and only because I tend to carry a goddamn arsenal with me.

Which makes me want to play a melee psycho on hardcore.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Melee is surprisingly effective once you get a few of the perks. Then it's chopping up deathclaws left and right with a katana.

Pack Rat really helps with ammo weight but it requires 70 barter.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Melee is god tier in Fallout 3 and New Vegas as long as you build your perks around it.

Particularly in the latter. I completely destroyed the BOS bunker, theres pretty much nothing you can't do with melee as long as you have a decent set of armor and a good weapon. Very hardy.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I started playing a melee character in FO3 for the PC since I exhausted ranged options in the 360 version.

But given that aiming in general is so much easier on the PC (outside of VATS), i got bummed out that I didn't just do melee on the 360 and save guns for the PC.

I should get back to that playthrough. I think I was like halfway through the mothership, oneshotting aliens with the Anchorage sword from stealth with the absurdly overpowered chinese stealth suit.

How easy they are to break completely is one of the best things about Bethesda games, imo.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Best part of melee is equipping a power fist and using vats to slowly watch the lone wanderer knock someone's head straight off.

Good old fashioned primitive violence at it's finest.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Punching someone in the leg SO HARD that their entire body explodes?

Good times...

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The Ballistic Fist is just the best.

How does it even work? Who the fuck cares when you can punch someone and make them explode!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well, we take this prototype we had in WW2 that fired .38s and let's make it fire bigger bullets.
    (The OSS Pistol Glove)

And instead of using leather gloves, we'll encase the whole thing in metal as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    And magical infinite bullets that never need to reload.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    They had a shotgun fist back in Tactics, too.

Only it needed ammo.

And in tactics melee was... questionable.

• Options
    Wasn't that a girl's weapon in that animated youtube series by Monty Ohm? I think it was the yellow character in a discotheque.

• Options
    Well, Veronica does love using Power Fists and their ilk...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Veronica does love a good fisting.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    MMO's are universally terrible so I'd rather Beth never waste the time doing one.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    It gets fucking ridiculous after awhile.

She hits so fast and hard with the perk and ballistic fist that I never got to line up a shot.

POP!POP!POP!

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Veronica meet Fisto. Fisto, Veronica.

I think you'll get along nicely.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

She hits so fast and hard with the perk and ballistic fist that I never got to line up a shot.

POP!POP!POP!

I still remember hitting up Freeside for the first time and getting suckered into the alley where the dude tries to ambush you.
    I barely lined up the shot when Veronica did her best Terry Bogard impression and Power Dunks the guy's head right out of his ass.

Thing is, she was still in the street and me and the dude were in the alley, so essentially she does the 100 yard dash-long jump-Power Dunk all before I can draw, aim and pull.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

POP!POP!POP!

I still remember hitting up Freeside for the first time and getting suckered into the alley where the dude tries to ambush you.
    I barely lined up the shot when Veronica did her best Terry Bogard impression and Power Dunks the guy's head right out of his ass.

Thing is, she was still in the street and me and the dude were in the alley, so essentially she does the 100 yard dash-long jump-Power Dunk all before I can draw, aim and pull.
    I think that should be a mod for her clothes.

• Options
    Now that the idea's out there, I'm sure someone's getting on it.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I'm reinstalling NV to play around with a melee build.

I hope you're all happy.

168 hours on NV, and that doesn't include my Xbox runthrough. God, I'm ready for a new Fallout.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    melee is fabulous

drop into searchlight and pick up knock knock

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Pffft.

Pick up Chance's Knife 5 minutes after you start the game and then never use anything else.

• Options
    Best one would be Rule 63 Fist of the North Star..........why isn't there a Fist of the North Star mod for either game?

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Best one would be Rule 63 Fist of the North Star..........why isn't there a Fist of the North Star mod for either game?

There isn't one because it's already in:
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fist_of_Rawr
    Should the player take the Wild Wasteland trait they will be able to craft Fist of the North Rawr instead. Though it has a different name and a separate Form ID, it is otherwise identical to the standard weapon.

• Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »

There isn't one because it's already in:
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fist_of_Rawr
    Should the player take the Wild Wasteland trait they will be able to craft Fist of the North Rawr instead. Though it has a different name and a separate Form ID, it is otherwise identical to the standard weapon.

Damn, should have taken that trait.....next time....I'm King Buddy

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    You should always take wild wasteland.

Or get the mod that just intrinsically gives it to you, so you can still take 2 traits.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited May 2014

POP!POP!POP!

Enemies make the mistake of thinking they can corner Veronica in small spaces.

They don't realize that she's not trapped in there with them, they're trapped in there with her.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Nothing like getting beat down by Felicia Day.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Do you wanna date my avatar?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    So, doing a clean reinstall of New Vegas. Couldn't play it months ago without crashing every twenty minutes or so, figured it was time.

Leaving out EVE since I keep seeing people saying it's a crash magnet but how are you guys with a World of Pain and stability? Does it ever cause a lot of problems for you guys?

Definitely one of the biggest and wide reaching mods. I have a hard time not installing it again since it adds a boatload of exploration into the game and makes New Vegas feel abit more like Fallout 3 where you can get lost in places of no significance just for the hell of it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    So, doing a clean reinstall of New Vegas. Couldn't play it months ago without crashing every twenty minutes or so, figured it was time.

Leaving out EVE since I keep seeing people saying it's a crash magnet but how are you guys with a World of Pain and stability? Does it ever cause a lot of problems for you guys?

Definitely one of the biggest and wide reaching mods. I have a hard time not installing since it adds a boatload of exploration into the game and makes New Vegas feel abit more like Fallout 3 where you can get lost in places of no significance just for the hell of it.

A World of Pain generally runs fine for me. There are a couple of areas that get kind of choppy but I seldom have any serious crash issues that I can pin directly on the mod.

It's a lot of fun, and most of it fits in to the world pretty well. A few kind of out-there elements from the creator but either way it leaves plenty more to do.

There's also a FO3 version of AWOP though it is far less comprehensive than the New Vegas version, I think. I dunno, I still have to hike back out of the Mojave to finish going through the Capitol Wastelands in my TTW run (the prospect of doing Zeta made me go meh and explore NV instead).

• Options
    I generally ran pretty lean (New Bounties 1&2, Unified Freeside, Old World Radio, and The Wall) and didn't have too many problems.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I generally ran pretty lean (New Bounties 1&2, Unified Freeside, Old World Radio, and The Wall) and didn't have too many problems.
    I wish I had that much restraint.

Main reason I moved to PC was for all the quest mods, new enemies, weather and dungeons (particularly AWOP which adds a huge amount). The kind of mods that are far reaching and get into every corner of the world space and most likely to cause problems.

Will be glad when they move to the Skyrim engine for 4, that thing is taking on the biggest mod load I've ever put together over in TES5.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    A party of Veronica (Close combat), Fawkes (Heavy weapons), Joshua Graham (Marksman) and Boone (Sniper) could single handedly win a war. I don't even think the Fallout engine could handle enough enemies on screen to defeat all four of them at once, assuming nothing else has been modded.

• Options
    I really shouldn't be starting this run, I still have a shitload of skyrim mods I haven't touched yet but man...it's hard to quit the Wasteland.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Coming up on 100. Someone ready to make the new thread?