Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Arrow is a show on CW entering it's second season. Why should you watch? Because it's pretty darn good Superhero TV series. It's what The Cape aspired to be and failed. It's what Smallville could never be. It's the story of Oliver Queen, notorious party boy has been presumed dead for the last five years. Upon returning, the City's favorite son has a mission. To punish those who have failed his city.
x2RruRZl.jpg

Arrow FAQ:

Q: Do I need to know anything about Green Arrow to enjoy the show?
A: No. It's an origin story that they've spread out over two seasons and likely more.

Q: If I know Green Arrow, will I be bored?
A: Nope. They have taken some liberties. Just enough changes to make it unpredictable but not so much as to ruin the spirit.

Q: Is this full of silly gadgets and Arrow mobiles?
A: Kinda. There are some gadget arrows but Ollie isn't using any boxing glove arrows. Mostly it's stuff like arrows with recorders and zip line arrows.

Q:What about the supporting cast?
A: We've got a couple.

John Diggle. Bodyguard. Sidekick. Moral center point.
LTLruOS.jpg

Felicity Smoak. Hacker. Gadget Guru. Arrow's Oracle.
nt2Ty4Hl.jpg

And a number of others.

Q: I hear Steven Amell takes off his shirt a lot.
A: Pretty much every episode. Honestly, if I had those abs I wouldn't wear a shirt either.

http://youtu.be/43FMVVTx8-I

Q: I missed the first season. Will I be lost?
A: We live in the age of Netflix. http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70242081?strkid=1855807268_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70242081 It's on instant watch.

Q: So maybe I want to read some Green Arrow Comic books, where do I start?
A: I'd start with The Longbow Hunters. It's a standalone graphic novel about Ollie going back to his roots. It also serves as a bit of inspiration for the show. DC just put it out in digital form. Also Green Arrow Year One is an updated origin story. Green Arrow: Archer's Quest is about Ollie returning from the dead and collecting various bits of his past that might give away his identity. An excellent story and a solid overview of the Emerald Archer's history. Quiver was Kevin Smith's take on Green Arrow and it's pretty much the exact opposite of Smith's Batman. And of course the classic Hard Traveling Heroes from the Green Lantern/Green Arrow series. Ollie and Hal road trip across the US being friends. Also Ollie spends most of the time rubbing Hal's nose in how much of a dick he is.

Q: When is it on?
A: Wednesdays at 8 P.M. on the CW.

Thomamelas on

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Q: Really?
    A: Really.

Man I love this show but it's ridiculous a lot. It's the best if you imagine that the entire thing is just Ollie looking for excuses to walk around without a shirt.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This is the best show I completely missed the first season of and then marathoned.

Also, a huge part of it is essentially Far Cry 3: the show.
    Seriously I love the fact that at the start you get "oh yeah he was on an island and became a badass..." but then the whole show is actually telling you that whole story in a "well, it was harder the first time he did this..."

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The title and his old vigilante name are the second most annoying thing for me. Arrow and Hood aren't bad per se but I literally had no idea this show was about the Green Arrow until a month ago.

But the new takes on villains is great. I love how they handled Vertigo and Slade and am very interested to see what's going on with
    professor Ivo on the AMAZO.

Only real complaint this current season is
    Officer Lance was literally running around with Oliver Queen's PA and BD but couldn't put two and two together.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I have mixed feelings about the show. It really isn't good. I mean, at best it is on par with Smallville. But it is still somewhat entertaining, making it a guilty pleasure show.

Also, I can't get it in HD which pisses me off to no end.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I find it far more enjoyable than Smallville if for no reason other than the overplayed drama found in every CW show is generally less prominent or at least tied to Oliver's hi jinks rather than a separate side story.

Quid on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I have to admit that this show is slightly ahead of AOS in favorite superhero show. Not by much and part of the reason is that its a season ahead, but still...

I like their version of BC, but I agree that Officer Lance should figure out who the GA is. Common theory is that he already knows, but isn't doing anything because he realizes that GA is working to help the city.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I have to admit that this show is slightly ahead of AOS in favorite superhero show. Not by much and part of the reason is that its a season ahead, but still...

I like their version of BC, but I agree that Officer Lance should figure out who the GA is. Common theory is that he already knows, but isn't doing anything because he realizes that GA is working to help the city.

Even if he hasn't that also seems like a really dumb thing on Oliver's end assuming he actually cares about still keeping secret from him.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I remember watching the first season and having things that annoyed. Such as how dumb Felicity was at buying Oliver's excuses....then they point out she wasn't. It did that with things I was willing to just gloss over because it's a comic book show and then they went and didn't gloss over it.
    Also, what exactly did Lance get busted down for? Disarming one of the superbombs? Like, they had the superbomb at the end, persumably it's evidence for the trial and all...so they were all like "Fuck you for saving a portion of the city, DEMOTION!"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I remember watching the first season and having things that annoyed. Such as how dumb Felicity was at buying Oliver's excuses....then they point out she wasn't. It did that with things I was willing to just gloss over because it's a comic book show and then they went and didn't gloss over it.
    Also, what exactly did Lance get busted down for? Disarming one of the superbombs? Like, they had the superbomb at the end, persumably it's evidence for the trial and all...so they were all like "Fuck you for saving a portion of the city, DEMOTION!"

No one knows he did that except Oliver and the super-crew.

• Options
    I'm not really sure why he'd keep that secret. What'd they do with giant super bomb afterwards? Though talking would involve a fair amount of him being creative in avoiding implicating Felicity.

• Options
    I remember Felicity accepting Oliver's excuses with a giant grain of salt and not pursuing it since she's not really confrontational.

Lance doesn't strike me as the same though. The guy seems way to aggressive to not confront Oliver about it.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

Making people above him look stupid publicly. Politics are a hell of a thing, and notice noone knows him as a hero.

I enjoy all of the show, except the mandatory CW "pretty white people with problems" sections. (s2 few episodes with a new girl appearing)
    Black canary has been annoying as shit, and hopefully she is just gone. they need to shit or get off the pot with plot points that also involve the island. It's only a matter of time before deathstroke appears without his memory or some shit.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh fuck nah.

Black Canary is the shit.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I love this show, with a few caveats

-Laurel is seriously pissing me off this season
    -somebody needs to say "Green Arrow" without it being followed by "that's dumb"
    -more gadget arrows. ALL THE GADGET ARROWS

Joolander on
  • Options

Making people above him look stupid publicly. Politics are a hell of a thing, and notice noone knows him as a hero.

This is my brain refusing to let go of real world stuff but:
    1) No way in fuck that gets past a police union. Not even in the realm of the plausible.
    2) The concept that the Lance household, whose kids hung out with the super duper wealthy, don't have their own political backers/know where the bodies are buried is just silly.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

1) No way in fuck that gets past a police union. Not even in the realm of the plausible.
    2) The concept that the Lance household, whose kids hung out with the super duper wealthy, don't have their own political backers/know where the bodies are buried is just silly.
    I think they are working up to a corrupt police/DA angle. The show is about Ollie saving the city, and there have been a lot of hints that the laws priorities are suspiciously screwy.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

1) Unions? Man what drugs are you on? Unions don't exist on television, not unless its the Teamsters and their Legitimate Businessmen social club friends. See also OSHA. A positive portrayal of Unions on television would be more out there then super powered vigilantes. Which is funny since television/entertainment industry has more unions then anybody.

2) I think it was more Laurel meeting Oliver at university and getting involved with him there, then actually growing up together/hanging out. I think Officer Lance never liked Oliver.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    very important facts about arrow

a) felicity: pensi
    b) black canary: chestal region
    c) abdominals
    d) lol

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I think they are working up to a corrupt police/DA angle. The show is about Ollie saving the city, and there have been a lot of hints that the laws priorities are suspiciously screwy.

They hung out with the super duper wealthy 1% genocidal maniacs of the city.

I agree, all the gadget arrows.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

What about him apparently working with a known vigilante in disarming the bomb, but refusing to divulge any information that could lead to the arrest of said vigilante? The demotion might still be fueled by back office politics, but it's a good enough reason to feed the public.
    I'd imagine that's the kind of thing that could get a dude demoted in the police. Considering the body count Ollie's racked up and the number of times he's outright humiliated the police, I'd think that he's not exactly popular with the PD.

I don't think that Detective Lance would be the kind to swing his political capital around for personal gain, if he had much left after the Undertaking (pretty sure that would dry up pretty quickly after Mama Queen came out and confessed her part in destroying the Glades). He's swing it to help his daughter out as much as he could, but not for his own gain. That's assuming, of course, that he had much political capital in the first place. Sure, it might be seen as his kids hanging out with the Elite of the city. On the other hand, it might also be seen as his daughters being used as sex toys by some spoiled 1 percenter playboy jackass who's never had to work a day in his life. Somehow, I don't think "My daughters are fucking Oliver Queen on his private yacht" would curry much favor.

I could be wrong. What the hell do I know about the rich and powerful?

• Options
    I don't think the Lances would necessarily have massive political backing. Quentin's just a cop and I don't think it's really explained what Dinah does. As far as I can tell their main connection to the Queens is just happenstance friendship between kids.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I don't think the Lances would necessarily have massive political backing. Quentin's just a cop and I don't think it's really explained what Dinah does. As far as I can tell their main connection to the Queens is just happenstance friendship between kids.

she's a lawyer

season 1 she's working for some kinda non-profit civil-action thing

seson 2 she works for the DA

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Joolander wrote: »

she's a lawyer

They made it sound like she was pro, and was doing non profits by choice, because she believed in it. The whole thing is supposed to show her juxtaposition, from shield of the people to sword,
    while oliver has done the opposite in a sense that he acts as a protector instead of attacker
    . The -plot- reasons to do it dont need a backstory, especially when her old job
    literally collapsed

And sufferin' succotash, the little sisters lisp (super promonent when she gets upset) is just the worst.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    thea's lisp is super adorable, you're crazy

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh fuck nah.

Yeah seriously. Hell I want her to replace Laurel on the show entirely since Laurel's character is just a black hole where the show goes to die when she shows up.

This week looks great, dead shot, russians, possible suicide squad set up?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also Arrrow is so good it actually added a character to the comics in Diggle. I think that speaks well for the writers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh fuck nah.

Yeah seriously. Hell I want her to replace Laurel on the show entirely since Laurel's character is just a black hole where the show goes to die when she shows up.

Definitely.

• Options
    Its partially the writing, partially the actress. I remember when she got dropped from supernatural the fans were upset, but seeing how bad she is on Arrow they got off lucky.

Its made even worse that her dad and her sister are way better actors and characters. She's just left to be the annoying "destined lover" of Oliver I really really hope they get rid of. I mean no one really knows Green Arrow cannon you don't have to pair him up with Laurel Lance, hell you could pair him with Diggle and you'd probably get more fans!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also Arrrow is so good it actually added a character to the comics in Diggle. I think that speaks well for the writers.

The quality of the secondary characters writing and acting is what really pushes the show into the "good" territory.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    While the first season was usually demoted to a background show for me, I am loving the second season so far. The one exception is the Laurel story line, on top of the character just being terrible, the actress isn't good enough to sell any of the emotional stories that they are trying to have her sell (and by "good enough" I'm using CW standards so yeah pretty fucking bad).

LostNinja on
  • Options

The quality of the secondary characters writing and acting is what really pushes the show into the "good" territory.

Well that and all the shirtless dudes. I mean I'm straight, but Arrow makes me question that at times. Its funny they have been doing some fan service with Black Canary and Felicity at times, but Amell will still be the one that brings the boys to the yard.

Also I wonder if/when we'll see Slade in modern times.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Its partially the writing, partially the actress. I remember when she got dropped from supernatural the fans were upset, but seeing how bad she is on Arrow they got off lucky.

Its made even worse that her dad and her sister are way better actors and characters. She's just left to be the annoying "destined lover" of Oliver I really really hope they get rid of. I mean no one really knows Green Arrow cannon you don't have to pair him up with Laurel Lance, hell you could pair him with Diggle and you'd probably get more fans!

She seemed way better in supernatural, plus the acress they replaced her with (Jared Padelecki's wife) was also really bad. Maybe she's just better at playing snarky that any actual emotions.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    One of the things I've really liked is their use of B/C-List DCU villains. Deadshot, China White, Bronze Tiger, Meylen, and so on. Lots of villains who don't usually get much love.

• Options
    Yeah its kind of like Batman the Animated series with taking villains that ordinarily are just one and dones and at least doing some stuff with them. Also Arrow at least resolves arcs pretty fast. Like the Black Canary reveal this season.

Also I'm glad they are off the island in the flash backs, something about how it was being shot in season 2 made it look different in a bad way.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    My DVR cut off the teaser for last weeks ep

All I saw was something about Russians, and now I'm hoping for KGBeast

• Options

she's a lawyer

Sorry, didn't realize that apparently Laurel's actual name was Dinah. I'm talking about her mom.

• Options

Arrow goes to Russian (or its vancouver BC equivelent), possible KGbeast, definite Deadshot.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I love h

He's already appeared.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I liked her replacement, Genevieve Cortese, better. Jared Padalecki liked her so much he married her!

She's a talented actress. Unfortunately she's saddled with a poorly conceived and written character
    whose been made redundant by Black Canary.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    One of the things I've really liked is their use of B/C-List DCU villains. Deadshot, China White, Bronze Tiger, Meylen, and so on. Lots of villains who don't usually get much love.

Is
    Ra's al Ghul
    still B or C-list?

• Options
    I did like the take on Canary's scream, I hear this year we are getting a back door pilot to the flash series as well. I wonder if they'll put that on after Arrow, or will they leave the abysmal Tomorrow People there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.