Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Depending on the comic Green Arrow is Batman with arrows.

And plenty of Arrow characters have popped up. Though frankly I couldn't care less which original rogues gallery they come from so long as the show is good.

Exactly. Who cares if they are respecting cannon no one knows, if the show is good then we'll keep tuning in. I mean we watch even with Laurel being terrible.

The problem with comics books these days is the canon. Like you can't write anything without consulting 50 years of comic book history and woe unto the writer that writes anything that contradicts said history. Which is fine if not for the fact that comics have had several writers over the decades and they couldn't all be winners.

That's the nice thing about these modern tv/film adaptions. You can take the canon that works, ditch the canon that doesn't and best of all rework the non-working canon into something that actually fits today.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    While I don't demand slavish devotion to the comics out of this show, I do think they dropped the ball on some of the villains

Some examples (Season 1 spoilers)
    in the comics, the BlackHawks were a multinational fighter squadron during WWII that fought the Axis and generally kicked ass. Turning them into a modern PMC fits, but having them robbing armored cars because "fuck the government" just ain't right

Firefly was always basically an arsonist, but in the comics it's mainly for hire and not because he melted his face off. Plus he didn't have his sweet ass jetpack

Both of those could have been way more interesting

Joolander on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I liked in this last episode where they had two fights going on at the same time with one on the floor and one on the catwalk with both of them playing out at the same time, it was just cool to see.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fire Villains are boring on tv shows because the fire effects can only be so much. That and fire is just kind of a boring villain "I'm going to burn stuff!" Ok cool burning got it!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I liked this version of Firefly.

Honestly he's pretty much perfect for a one off episode.

• Options
    Yeah I didn't mind him as a one off, just don't see the need for a big thing. Like the doll guy, though I guess in the comics he was not really much of a villain.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You know what's not boring? Jetpacks! Also, Ollie could have at least used a fire fighting foam arrow or something
    before you pooh pooh that, this came out of like 6 canisters
    uh60-2.jpg

Anyways, the doll dude I'd never heard of before, but according to Wikipedia he's pretty much exactly like his comic book counterpart, except Batman caught him there

Joolander on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Laurel will never shine, never. Any attempt to make her character anything but gwen stacy will only drag the show down.

Gwen Stacy's more interesting in Amazing Spider-man. lol

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Depending on the comic Green Arrow is Batman with arrows.

And plenty of Arrow characters have popped up. Though frankly I couldn't care less which original rogues gallery they come from so long as the show is good.

Exactly. Who cares if they are respecting cannon no one knows, if the show is good then we'll keep tuning in. I mean we watch even with Laurel being terrible.

The problem with comics books these days is the canon. Like you can't write anything without consulting 50 years of comic book history and woe unto the writer that writes anything that contradicts said history. Which is fine if not for the fact that comics have had several writers over the decades and they couldn't all be winners.

Its technically inaccurate to say DC and Marvel have comics that have 50 years worth of canon. DC routinely reboots its universe and Marvel regularly retcons events (DC does this too). Your issue with continuity isn't continuity itself its bad continuity. Mined correctly canon isn't an anchor.
    That's the nice thing about these modern tv/film adaptions. You can take the canon that works, ditch the canon that doesn't and best of all rework the non-working canon into something that actually fits today.

Agreed.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Laurel will never shine, never. Any attempt to make her character anything but gwen stacy will only drag the show down.

i don't know about that, killing her might actually help. :P

all of my problems with the show, pretty much, would be solved by Laurel dying

except that a bunch of characters would get really mopey about it

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

ok, now normally i would never suggest this but just bare with me here, i think i have a solution to that problem.

Mass Selective Amnesia!

• Options

ok, now normally i would never suggest this but just bare with me here, i think i have a solution to that problem.

Selective Amnesia Arrows!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    This show is fun, but it does have some pretty significant problems. Note that I've only seen Season 1 on Netflix.
    1) You can't get invested at all in "The Island" plotline because we know Olly makes it out by himself. So, every time he's threatened, my reaction is "meh" because I know he makes it. Every time someone else is threatened my reaction is "meh" because I know they either don't make it off the island, or they do so without Olly.

This is not a story that starts with then end and then the rest is a flashback explaining it. This is a "whodunit" that starts out with the reveal and then flash backs to all of the story up to the reveal.

2) I'm really worried that like "Lost", they have no concrete plan for "The Island".

3) Too many of the characters go through the same emotional arc. For example, both Olly and Diggle having to face up to the costs of honor and duty.

4) Why is the billion dollar baby sister slumming with some guy from the ghetto, and why does she keep going back to the same part of town to visit him after she gets roughed up basically every time?

5) They haven't addressed the fact that Olly has burned one or more pages of "The Book". So there can be unknown person(s) listed.

6) Does "The Book" even matter anymore after the resolution of Season 1? I mean, he defeated the evil rich persons club plot to level the ghetto.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    This show is fun, but it does have some pretty significant problems. Note that I've only seen Season 1 on Netflix.
    1) You can't get invested at all in "The Island" plotline because we know Olly makes it out by himself. So, every time he's threatened, my reaction is "meh" because I know he makes it. Every time someone else is threatened my reaction is "meh" because I know they either don't make it off the island, or they do so without Olly.

This is not a story that starts with then end and then the rest is a flashback explaining it. This is a "whodunit" that starts out with the reveal and then flash backs to all of the story up to the reveal.

2) I'm really worried that like "Lost", they have no concrete plan for "The Island".

3) Too many of the characters go through the same emotional arc. For example, both Olly and Diggle having to face up to the costs of honor and duty.

4) Why is the billion dollar baby sister slumming with some guy from the ghetto, and why does she keep going back to the same part of town to visit him after she gets roughed up basically every time?

5) They haven't addressed the fact that Olly has burned one or more pages of "The Book". So there can be unknown person(s) listed.

6) Does "The Book" even matter anymore after the resolution of Season 1? I mean, he defeated the evil rich persons club plot to level the ghetto.
    I dunno man I agree with you that the island plotline is not really going places but it could work. Of course you know he makes it, you know that he makes it because he is the main character of the show and it's not yet finished. It's just backstory that maybe could do with a little trimming.

Sister is drawn to bad boy and a teenager thus stupid.

And no the book doesn't matter any more. That was the plot in season 1, season 2 has a new plot.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Regarding the island so far
    I really like the island flashback parts. it is a great way to show how he became who he now is. It showcases how he picked up his various skills. I can't wait to find out how he became a captain in the Russian mob!

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    The island flashbacks are great, especially when a lot of the time they have nothing to do with what's going on in the present.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    For me the Island flashbacks do seem like they are at least moving things forward.

• Options
    They are moving their own storyline forward, but it doesn't necessarily tie into whats going on in the present. Like even when they dealt with Sarah exclusively it wasn't even explaining her Canary background, just how she managed to not die in her underwear being all sexy and damp.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    They are moving their own storyline forward, but it doesn't necessarily tie into whats going on in the present. Like even when they dealt with Sarah exclusively it wasn't even explaining her Canary background, just how she managed to not die in her underwear being all sexy and dampmoist.

sorry, i had too.

i think the island stuff is a nice parallel to the present day and a great way of feeding us back story without an info dump while also drawing out the mystery a bit.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    It's nice when the island ties into the present day story, but even when it doesn't it is still probably my favorite part of the show. Slade and Shadow are just way more interesting to me than Diggle, Felicity, and most of all Laurel.

• Options
    Well its hard to top sassy australian beef cake and asian hotty, but Diggle and Felicity do!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I like them using the island to show his transformation as a person as well. They do a good job of that. I am curious with the recent dual flashbacks and how that will go. Second season has set up two good plot lines and I am excited to see how they end.
    1. First is Brother Blood and his cult. Using drugs and other supplies to build an army. Being a preacher of good to the world. I am enjoying him as a villain.

2.Ras, the League and BC. Personally I don't see them cutting this yet. Black Canary is already more interesting than her sister. I am curious to see what happened to turn her into this pitiless killing machine. I am also a sucker for Ras. He might be a Batman b-lister but I enjoy the stories with him. I find him an interesting enemy for a super hero since he is as much myth as man.

3. Also watching BC and GA fight together was so much fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Yeah season 2 rocks for the weapon switch fight alone.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    While I don't demand slavish devotion to the comics out of this show, I do think they dropped the ball on some of the villains

in the comics, the BlackHawks were a multinational fighter squadron during WWII that fought the Axis and generally kicked ass. Turning them into a modern PMC fits, but having them robbing armored cars because "fuck the government" just ain't right

Firefly was always basically an arsonist, but in the comics it's mainly for hire and not because he melted his face off. Plus he didn't have his sweet ass jetpack

On the second villian you mention, I think we got an origin story, and there is alot more to come.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Like even when they dealt with Sarah exclusively it wasn't even explaining her Canary background, just how she managed to not die in her underwear being all sexy and damp.

That's explanation's obvious - the show was giving fan service to the male audience. lol

• Options
    i thought Ollie going shirtless every other scene was fan service to the male audience. :P

• Options
    Well they already do that all the time with Oliver's work outs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    i thought Ollie going shirtless every other scene was fan service to the male audience. :P

Heh. Someone needs to fill in for Huntress since the actress moved to Dracula (which probably will be cancelled in six months).

• Options
    Well they already do that all the time with Oliver's work outs.

Fangirls are going to explode when Ollie meets Nightwing. :)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

On the second villian you mention, I think we got an origin story, and there is alot more to come.
    The show does seem to be setting up something of a Chekhov's arsenal with all the comic references and characters that show up just long enough to establish their backgrounds and badassedness. It'd be a shame if some of those don't come back in the future.

• Options
    Huntress's actress was terrible. Though BC does have that awful side kick cliche, so not all awesome.

Nightwing could be interesting depending on how they do him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Huntress's actress was terrible. Though BC does have that awful side kick cliche, so not all awesome.

I thought she was adequate for the role. She filled out that costume perfectly too.

Agreed.

edit: Huntress actress can be replaced if she isn't coming back. We have precedent now.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I believe the theme for this years Arrow was "City of Heroes" it can be assumed characters will be coming and going. Much like Ollie at a Lance family reunion.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Well if this rumor ends up being true I don't have high hopes, I've never really been very impressed with the actor on TVD, though that might have just been the result of writing giving him terrible plot lines.

• Options
    He looks like a more fit version of Norman Reedus, not a compliment. And you watch the Vampire Diaries? BURN THE HERETIC!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I believe the theme for this years Arrow was "City of Heroes" it can be assumed characters will be coming and going. Much like Ollie at a Lance family reunion.

Goddamn it now I really want Huntress in season 2.

• Options
    I swear at this point Ollie's got a sexual punch card with the lance family on it. Even detective lance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I swear at this point Ollie's got a sexual punch card with the lance family on it. Even detective lance.

"What's that Laurel, these triplets are your long lost cousins? why of course they can stay at my mansion"

• Options
    He looks like a more fit version of Norman Reedus, not a compliment. And you watch the Vampire Diaries? BURN THE HERETIC!

It's actually a good show once you get past the bad relationship drama and onto the people dieing bloody (decapitations/ hearts being ripped from chest) on a regular basis part.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

It's actually a good show once you get past the bad relationship drama and onto the people dieing bloody (decapitations/ hearts being ripped from chest) on a regular basis part.

The cast is also really pretty.

This discussion has been closed.