Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do like how Felicity admits to all the felonies she's committed to a police officer and he shrugs it off. Maybe, just maybe, Detective Lance wasn't that good of a police officer to begin with.

And yeah superhero shows that have any tech element might as well equate it to mysticism. Because to be perfectly honest real hacking is god damn boring.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do like how Felicity admits to all the felonies she's committed to a police officer and he shrugs it off. Maybe, just maybe, Detective Lance wasn't that good of a police officer to begin with.

And yeah superhero shows that have any tech element might as well equate it to mysticism. Because to be perfectly honest real hacking is god damn boring.

"Alright I'll just brute force this password and... oh. You only get three tries. Well, I'm sure Ollie will make it."

• Options
    I mean its kind of like on cop shows how quick DNA comes back, because in real life that shit takes like 6-8 weeks. No one in TV land cares Felicity couldn't do half the stuff she does in real life. Hell be thankful Arrow combined all the characters into one in AoS they are three seperate useless entities.

Unthankfully Arrow continues to have Laurel to more than make up for that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    His name is Colin Salmon. Been in a lot of things including Bond.

I remember him because he was the first black guy people seriously mentioned as a candidate for Bond himself. Predating Idris Elba and whoever black guy that gets the role in the end.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Laurel has bad writing as her main cause of suck.

Her setup is that she was dating to Oliver... but he cheated on her with her sister. Oliver and said sister then drown. In the 5 years between, she dates Tommy, Oliver's best friend. Then Oliver returns.

From any angle the character is fucked. If she forgives Oliver cause of true luv bullshit... she overlooks that his cheating got her sister killed(not that it did, but she doesn't know that). If she holds a grudge... well Oliver spent 5 years in hell and its his show. Plus there are probably a few bros that hate that she got with Oliver's best friend(I don't).

Its just plain bad writing. I doubt even the best actress could have salvaged the character.

• Options
    The writing is weak, the writing is weak?! You're weak! I can take this writing and get 8,000 blog posts singing about my sweet ass and how I'm Ollies OTL!

Nah the set up is kind of weak, but Cassidy is specifically a bad actress. When she acts opposite her dad or even Amell she comes off really terrible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Laurel has bad writing as her main cause of suck.

Her setup is that she was dating to Oliver... but he cheated on her with her sister. Oliver and said sister then drown. In the 5 years between, she dates Tommy, Oliver's best friend. Then Oliver returns.

From any angle the character is fucked. If she forgives Oliver cause of true luv bullshit... she overlooks that his cheating got her sister killed(not that it did, but she doesn't know that). If she holds a grudge... well Oliver spent 5 years in hell and its his show. Plus there are probably a few bros that hate that she got with Oliver's best friend(I don't).

Its just plain bad writing. I doubt even the best actress could have salvaged the character.

None of that ever bothered me about the character, the love triangle thing was meh, but I never held that against the character. It wasn't until this year when all of the sudden she hates the Arrow because "how dare he not know she would ignore him when he warned her to stay out of the glades, and then get to busy saving the city to save her, so Tommy would have to and die trying!" The character does things that don't make sense, and then when they try to sell it as being because she turned to drugs out of guilt, the actress can't sell it well enough to make us care. Colten Hayes makes Roy's decidedly less serious desire to make a difference have more urgency that her morning a friend and turning to drugs.

• Options
    Last year she had her relationship with Tommy. Both of the being babes in the woods about the wider picture in the series.

This year she has to stand on her own. The actress clearly isn't capable of that.

The deeper point is that she is never going to be a part of Oliver's crusade due to her setup. Making her a redundant in the show from the very start. I for one cannot see her as BC, even if her first name is Dinah. If she is not going to become BC, then what use is she apart from victim?

Its Lana Lang from Smallville again. Only lets hope they ditch her a bit sooner.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The deeper point is that she is never going to be a part of Oliver's crusade due to her setup. Making her a redundant in the show from the very start. I for one cannot see her as BC, even if her first name is Dinah. If she is not going to become BC, then what use is she apart from victim?

Which is a solution that would improve the status quo. But her dying and
    Black Canary
    taking over for Oliver's love interest is my first choice.
    Its Lana Lang from Smallville again. Only lets hope they ditch her a bit sooner.

Nah, Lana's worse.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

"Alright I'll just brute force this password and... oh. You only get three tries. Well, I'm sure Ollie will make it."

I remember one thing (of many) that disappointed me in Smallville was that they hinted at and eventually gave Chloe some sort of kryptonite power. And I was really, really hoping her power was that she was a technopath and that that was how she'd managed to do all those hacks over the years.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I love h
    My DVR cut off the teaser for last weeks ep

All I saw was something about Russians, and now I'm hoping for KGBeast
    He's already appeared.

What? When?
    The Russian on the boat.

Hmm I must have missed something

@Thomamelas do you remember which episode?

Crucible.
    Pcd3PIk.pngIn the credits as Anatoli Knyazev aka, The KGBeast.

• Options
    Laurel's first name is Laurel, unless I've missed something that says her real first name is Dinah. And supposedly the show runners said they will not act like you can just have a nice work out and get the same level of bad ass that is Arrow, so hopefully that means Laurel dies, and her better younger sister takes over.

I mean chemistry wise the actress is already leaps and bounds better with Amell.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I guarantee you before this show is over she will be controlling traffic lights from a smartphone by cloning an sql server and patching it in to the city's infrastructure.

?

http://pwnieexpress.com/products/pwnpad

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Laurel's first name is Laurel, unless I've missed something that says her real first name is Dinah. And supposedly the show runners said they will not act like you can just have a nice work out and get the same level of bad ass that is Arrow, so hopefully that means Laurel dies, and her better younger sister takes over.

I mean chemistry wise the actress is already leaps and bounds better with Amell.

At first I was annoyed that they recast the character, it just seemed like poor planning from the start unless
    they actually planned for laurel to be black canary before realizing how terrible she is
    , but after that first episode with her back I was really happy with the change and I think that her chemistry with Amell played a big role in that

• Options
    ImperialwarImperialwar Registered User regular
    At first I didn't care for this show but it has really grown especially with the second season. The only problem I have with the show is Thea Queen, they need to kill her off.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

You missed something. In one of the first few episodes the whole name Dinah Laurel Lance is used, and then pretty much never again.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I wait in blind hope for an episode opening like this:

[Ext Alley, Night]
    A terrified man runs down the alley, feet splashing in a puddle as he runs.
    Rounding a corner, he stops for breath for a moment, then pulls a gun, waiting to shoot his pursuer.
    Suddenly, an arrow fired from behind him takes the gun out of his hand, while another arrow pins his collar to the wall.
    THE ARROW appears (he'll have to wear a shirt for this scene, we'll make it up later), getting the man in a choke-hold with his bow.

MAN:
    Oh, God! What do you want with me, I didn't do anything!

THE ARROW: (menacing)
    Answer my questions, and don't lie to me, or your medical insurance premiums are going to go up. (God, can someone come up with a better threat for this line?)

MAN:
    Yes okay, anything you want, man!

THE ARROW:
    What was the name of your first pet?

CUT TO:
    [Int The Arrow Cave, Night]
    FELICITY types into a shiny new MS SURFACE COMPUTER.

FELICITY:
    'Rover' huh. You know, I really should have guessed that. [into earpiece]Okay Ollie, I'm in his account now. You can let him go.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Just finished the date night episode. I like this show more than I thought I would

• Options
    Laurel's first name is Laurel, unless I've missed something that says her real first name is Dinah.

It's her official name but I don't think anyone on the show ever actually calls her that.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    At first I didn't care for this show but it has really grown especially with the second season. The only problem I have with the show is Thea Queen, they need to kill her off.

What! Thea is cute as a button you leave her alone!

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I like this show more than I should. It's cheesy but in a really entertaining, honest way - unashamed escapist entertainment television. Sometimes one just wants that.

Also, the dude is attractive. I'm straight as an arrow (ba dum ching) but I feel I need to point that out whenever I talk about the show. Not sure what that says.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Laurel's first name is Laurel, unless I've missed something that says her real first name is Dinah.

It's her official name but I don't think anyone on the show ever actually calls her that.

She gave her full name in court when she was representing Ollie; Dinah Laurel Lance.
    Maybe the Lances called their other daughter Dinah Sara Lance, just to ensure it was as confusing as possible.

I'm wondering if I'm liking this more because I don't know anything about the comics. I recognise a few bits (Deathstroke/Deadshot), but I don't know when or how much they 'butcher a classic character', which was a common complaint on Smallville, even when I recognise that they had to make things slightly more plausible. (He's not an imp from another dimension, he's an exchange student!)
    My total knowledge about this going in was 'like Batman, but with a bow and arrow'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I don't think most of Arrow's audience knows anything about the characters. So being tied down to a specific character for any reason is silly, especially since they added support staff arrow does not have.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Basically, they play it loose to the comics, but they are always extremley respectful of the source material.

There are enough winks and nods that you can see while CW wanted Batman lite with his shirt off all the time, the writers showrunners are all huge DC nerds.

Also
    The fact that Ollie makes friends with two B-List villians during his time on the island makes me smile so hard.

I really wish Slade/Ollie don't have a really bad falling out, because all the signs are looking that way.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

She gave her full name in court when she was representing Ollie; Dinah Laurel Lance.
    Maybe the Lances called their other daughter Dinah Sara Lance, just to ensure it was as confusing as possible.

I'm wondering if I'm liking this more because I don't know anything about the comics. I recognise a few bits (Deathstroke/Deadshot), but I don't know when or how much they 'butcher a classic character', which was a common complaint on Smallville, even when I recognise that they had to make things slightly more plausible. (He's not an imp from another dimension, he's an exchange student!)
    My total knowledge about this going in was 'like Batman, but with a bow and arrow'.

I always understood (character that has shown up)
    black canary to have super powers with her voice instead of using gadgets. I dont know if this is a cannon from somewhere, or they just wanted to keep the show grounded as long as possible. someone told me they were hinting that super powers would start showing up, but with BC using gadgets, I would assume the opposite?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lets be honest. This show is Batman. This is because Green Arrow started out as a Bat-Man knockoff. Guy had an Arrow Cave, Arrow Car and everything.

I do like this version Arrow more then I would a Batman series, because fanboys have hyped Batman to the point where he is(in fandom) basically invincible. Arrow makes mistakes... lots of them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    klemming wrote: »

I always understood (character that has shown up)
    black canary to have super powers with her voice instead of using gadgets. I dont know if this is a cannon from somewhere, or they just wanted to keep the show grounded as long as possible. someone told me they were hinting that super powers would start showing up, but with BC using gadgets, I would assume the opposite?

Yeah, she did in the comics and the cartoons.
    IIRC, she started out just a vigilante and didn't discover the whole screaming as a super power until later, but it was definitely her, rather then some gadgets.
    But, since the show is trying (kind of) to be more realistic, gadgets it is.
    Flash is supposed to show up pretty soon though, so maybe we'll see more super powers soon.

Really though, it depends on what you consider a super power. I mean, Green Arrow, Batman, Iron Man and a whole slew of others don't have super powers if you're ruling "Cool Gadgets" out of the super power pool. I thought a tiny sonic device capable of that kind of destruction was a pretty cool take on her power.

see317 on
  • Options
    Lets be honest. This show is Batman. This is because Green Arrow started out as a Bat-Man knockoff. Guy had an Arrow Cave, Arrow Car and everything.

I do like this version Arrow more then I would a Batman series, because fanboys have hyped Batman to the point where he is(in fandom) basically invincible. Arrow makes mistakes... lots of them.

Yeah Batman has an entire mythos and devoted fans who get upset at the slightest correction. Green Arrow just looks like a robin hood rip off and he has boxing arrows. So the CW and the writers have a lot more room to fill things out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

You forgot when he and batman are flying, and he calls it the arrow-plane. and batman is just like "god dammit, really man?"

Batman makes fun of it all the time, Harley in a recent issue made fun of the arrow cave, and was like "why dont you call it 'the quiver'?" and GA is like "That....... is actually better"

The fact that the show is called "arrow", like he was naming his story, is pretty great.

On the other spoiler I had above
    I heard about flash, but I thought that it was going to be a spin off. Maybe they want to cement some cameos first to see if it drums up support? I am for super powers, but I can live with a grounded show. It's hard to take a step back, and think that this is supposed to take place in the DC universe(which one?/cough). Marvel has so much of their shit straight when it comes to mixed media, makes me sad for DC items.

Was oliver queen a rich boy in the comics? I mean his story is SUPER similar to batman.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I believe he was a rich boy in the original origin story. But Green Arrow as one can assume from his name has also been a crusader for the poor which is something batman never really did.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Basically, they play it loose to the comics, but they are always extremley respectful of the source material.

There are enough winks and nods that you can see while CW wanted Batman lite with his shirt off all the time, the writers showrunners are all huge DC nerds.

Also
    The fact that Ollie makes friends with two B-List villians during his time on the island makes me smile so hard.

I really wish Slade/Ollie don't have a really bad falling out, because all the signs are looking that way.

Pretty much anything that gets named dropped is a DC reference. When Laurel was talking about judges they mentioned Judge Grell. The 10 pm train to Bludhaven. The prisoner number on Ollie's mug shot is the first appearance of GA. The level of nerd detail they drop in is massive.
    I believe he was a rich boy in the original origin story. But Green Arrow as one can assume from his name has also been a crusader for the poor which is something batman never really did.

Some versions of him yes. But on the Adams/O'Neil run had a long arc which was him taking Hal Jordan on a road trip showing him poverty, discrimination, environmental things, etc. And pointing out how much of a dick Hal was.

• Options
    Sounds like every road trip I've ever been on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    this has become probably my favorite show on TV after binging on season 1 the past week or so. I really like everything about it except Laurel.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I don't think most of Arrow's audience knows anything about the characters. So being tied down to a specific character for any reason is silly, especially since they added support staff arrow does not have.

How about so the characters in the Green Arrow franchise get a chance to shine? I like how they've got characters from all over the DCU but this is supposed to be Green Arrow not Batman-with-arrows.

• Options
    Laurel will never shine, never. Any attempt to make her character anything but gwen stacy will only drag the show down.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Laurel will never shine, never. Any attempt to make her character anything but gwen stacy will only drag the show down.

i don't know about that, killing her might actually help. :P

• Options
    That's why I said anything but...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    god damn it. :( me no read good, need try better.

• Options
    Depending on the comic Green Arrow is Batman with arrows.

And plenty of Arrow characters have popped up. Though frankly I couldn't care less which original rogues gallery they come from so long as the show is good.

• Options
    Depending on the comic Green Arrow is Batman with arrows.

And plenty of Arrow characters have popped up. Though frankly I couldn't care less which original rogues gallery they come from so long as the show is good.

Exactly. Who cares if they are respecting cannon no one knows, if the show is good then we'll keep tuning in. I mean we watch even with Laurel being terrible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.