As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HYPE LEVEL: OMEGA] Legend of Korra GAME DEVELOPED BY PLATINUM, RELEASE 2014

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Game seems pretty fun after only a few levels, my action brawler skills are so rusty at the moment though.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I had to take a break

My hands started to hurt.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I had to go to work.

;_;

Fortunately its only 3 hours because I work part time.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Technically I should be at school right now.

But I spent a fair bit of yesterday either passed out or vomiting.

Luckily I feel better today

But I've got a super busy schedule and don't want to be dragging along half-sick for weeks, I'd prefer taking one big break and lying down and relaxing all day. And then korra came out and well...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    My girlfriend left for a conference in another city from today until sunday.

Platinum couldn't have had better timing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This game is so much fun. Korra and Platinum both deserve so much more than what they get.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    The first real fight you have...
    Right after you get your water bending back. It was a pain in the ass for me. I went in thinking I could just mop up but I didn't realize how limited my resources actually were going into a fight against fire, water, and earth all at once. Raged for a good while until I finally pulled my head out and started approaching the fight the way I should have; picking and countering as best I could. That was on Normal. Extreme's gonna be a headbanger. :razz: :)

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    The first real fight you have...
    Right after you get your water bending back. It was a pain in the ass for me. I went in thinking I could just mop up but I didn't realize how limited my resources actually were going into a fight against fire, water, and earth all at once. Raged for a good while until I finally pulled my head out and started approaching the fight the way I should have; picking and countering as best I could. That was on Normal. Extreme's gonna be a headbanger. :razz: :)
    Best to take out the water bender, then the fire bender. And basically just avoid the other guys with dodges. The chi blockers aren't too hard to take out.

Make sure you don't let the earth guy hit you. He hurts a lot.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Oh man, I beat Chapter 7

This game is amazing for all the right reasons

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Could someone let me know what button "Square" is (light attack, heavy attack, dodge)? I'm playing with a keyboard and trying to unlock the costumes, but having trouble getting it to work. Would definitely be easier if I knew for sure what button I should be using on the keyboard.

• Options
    Square would be light attack

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I'm using the charm that halves health and doubles exp. Gives the game that extra challenge. Then I died to the triads at the end of Chapter 4 like eighty times. Until I worked out how powerful earth was and actually started playing correctly whereupon I didn't take any damage as I killed them.

Still got silver medal. I need to get better at that.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Clearly inspired by the special attacks in God Hand.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    So I beat that boss you were all talking about my first try.

I used two healing items and a health regen tho.
    Counter in earth.
    You'll do a quarter of a bar with the counter instead of piddly amounts with water.

AVOID WATER ALERT ALERT AVOID WATER ALERT ALERT

It does shit for damage.

Just wait for the same attacks you countered to get earth and then do the mash attack to take away huge chunks of life.
    Logical isn't it.

• Options
    Your counters are also much, much more powerful based on the current level of chakra charge you have going. Two-bar chakra charge of water, countering, may do as much as earth? I'm not sure.

I just want to point out that I've gotten through the game so far with no healing items, which affects my statement on difficulty

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    You don't get that many.

Also the second variation on that boss is kicking my ass.

Which is pleasing.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Lorek wrote: »
    Could someone let me know what button "Square" is (light attack, heavy attack, dodge)? I'm playing with a keyboard and trying to unlock the costumes, but having trouble getting it to work. Would definitely be easier if I knew for sure what button I should be using on the keyboard.

It works by the number -> dpad direction, not WASD. Try this for the spirit costume:
    1122 Left Click

and for the shadow fist in the shop
    2244 Left Click

Has anyone found the final code?

danx on
  • Options
    Well I beat it.

This is Platinum through and through. Right down to a fight going on during the credits that you are ranked for.

The last boss is nuts and makes me think that more story was actually written and planned for this game but then cut.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So, got home to see the game is unlocked.

But I am exhausted right now so I'll have to hit it up in the morning. Curse you work and getting older!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Love the way the earthbending feels, but if water is what takes down mechatanks, then water it shall be.

I took it down with Earthbending. Closing distance makes it less likely to use the bolos, and that attack is the one that really fucks you up.

Of course, I quit out after due to things coming up, so I might have to retry. Still. Fun enough I don't mind!

• Options
    All the normal voice actors are there.

There aren't many non korra characters though.

This is a mostly solo adventure.

I just beat it.

I had a ball.

Well worth the fifteen bucks.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's just $15. If it was $30 we'd probably get a more fleshed-out world and story. Maybe $60'll get us a dating-sim-plus-choose-who-you-end-up-with mode to please everybody.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, it's just $15. If it was $30 we'd probably get a more fleshed-out world and story. Maybe $60'll get us a dating-sim-plus-choose-who-you-end-up-with mode to please everybody.

80 dollars to lose the dating sims

100 dollars to add it back in with pigeon-bears.
    Hatoful Bender mode

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Just finished that "First Real Fight". Oh man, I had no idea this game was gonna be so defense-based. I was getting platinums and golds up until then, and then I died 15 times in a row.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Hahaha I just maxed out my bending and had the most awesome moment happen with a taunt.

• Options
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Beat the game and Aced the Pro-bending mode.

Last boss was pretty challenging, took me three restarts to lick him. I hadn't used Fire Bending much till that point but the extra speed and attack speed helps a lot when dealing with his melee bullshit.

The Pro-bending mode is a lot of fun. It starts off as an attack spam and the last three matches or so in Ace mode are legitimately challenging.

The final match I won at one point had Mako and Bolin knocked two zones behind me and I had to stay alive for thirty seconds being focused by the enemy time to run the timer out.

Sudden Death felt goooood.

• Options
    pro bending is the shit

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    pro bending is the shit

I would agree, but Avatar state heavy attack is already the shit.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    it is hilarious to redo all those fights where you were "forced" to be overwhelmed and you are kicking everything's ass and they can't even touch you

like chi charge 3 air all through the house and everything can't hit you because they're pressed flat against all the walls by all the aoe chain stun going AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH like kids on one of those gravity rides

korra: "naga i need you!"

me: "it's cool naga I got this go chew a bone"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I also love how one of the biggest complaints in a review was "You have to go into Korra's room to equip ANYTHING you buy!" Turns out, Korras Room, is your menu screen that you can access any time and you have to equip things because that's how the game is balanced between all of the passive accessories and the consumable boosting and restorative items.

But no, let's knock the game because you have to equip stuff from the menu screen. No game has ever done that kind of awful shit before right?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ha ha. I owe myself a million bucks.

I checked out the IGN review for this on Youtube last night for shits and giggles, and when I saw that it was given a 4.2 (numbered review scores are silly enough, I'll never understand the use of decimal points...) I said to myself "I bet a million dollars that the Korra thread will have nothing but positive posts"

Game looked pretty good to me in the review. Just gotta finish up Alien and then I can start playing this :biggrin:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So i was going to make a video showing off some of the finer points of the combo system and twice shadowplay refused to record sound

when it starts doing this i honestly don't know how to fix it

and its too late at night right now to fiddle around with it

ill have another go tomorrow

i was actually going to have voice over too

you know actually put some effort into it

i swear whenever i try to make something really constructive thats when my equipment decides to crap itself

happened in ds2 with my hdpvr too

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Well, betting that a thread will have positive things to say about a game with an intentionally low scored review from IGN or Gamespot isn't a bet you'd be likely to lose anyway since a lot of the time, those reviews are filled with pretty bullshit complaints.

The game isn't perfect and I do hate that it's lacking in the story area until the very end of the game when you get very little and rushed exposition.

I don't think the lack of the regular cast is bad thing, but they certainly could have handled it better. Just having some more voice over during fights from Jinora maybe investigating more into who Hoondoon? Hundun? Houndon? Grumpy Hump? I'm going with Grumpy Hump. Investigating more into who Grumpy Hump was, and what their relationship to the avatar was would have been much better.

Or more voice overs from Grumpy Hump in the later chapters revealing more about his past with the Avatar. Just something to fill in the story a little more.

But complaining that this $15 dollar bare bones title doesn't have extensive cameos by everyone, complaining about buying and equipping items from a shop in literally the same manner that you would in almost any other video game, sucking at the combat and then blaming the game for it when you made the choice not to play on casual, and then just passing over the combat in the review.

That's a bad review.

• Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    In general, what's the best time to taunt in a Platinum game? I always get hit when I taunt in this + the Bayo 2 demo. I want to just be, like, a taunting machine, but that doesn't seem to be working out for me.

• Options
    Taunt while watching them.

Like a hawk.

Always be ready to dodge out of the taunt, don't think you'll complete it every time.

Generally when you have a lull in the action or in between enemy waves is a good time.

• Options
    In the bayo games (both of them) taunting will hold your combo. So it is very handy between waves to taunt in bayo 1 and 2. Be careful with bosses though.

• Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    Thanks! I didn't know you could dodge out of them - I kept trying to counter out of them, which didn't work.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Played the first chapter to test it out, gonna start playing it properly tonight. Initial impressions are; is awesome.

Also the low quality cutscene claim was bullshit, they're animated to the same quality as the show. The voice acting is a little rough around the edges, but visually? That's what the show looks like!

Weird complaint tho; doesn't seem to be any way to enable subtitles? What game doesn't have subs nowadays?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The trophy for first using an item was worth $15 by it self

PSN SeGaTai