As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] "FIFA Ethics Committee" lol

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    will it change anything about Qatar potentially?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    what's the take on how serious this is?

it sounds like, mega serious

It does, but I refuse to believe anything of note will happen. I guess I'm too cynical.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    will it change anything about Qatar potentially?

Probably not

They'll lose sponsors (The DOJ has very strongly hinted that Nike is implicated in the bribery), but there's no indication that this would lead to either the 2018 or 2022 WC being moved.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    They lose any of their sponsors, that's when this becomes a big deal.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Other than being Russia and Putin*, is there any real reason why Russia can't host the event?

*And all the fucking bribery, of course.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    All of this just makes me state.... "See what happens when you don't give us Americans a bid on a growing sport that people want to make money with?".

• Options
    Other than being Russia and Putin*, is there any real reason why Russia can't host the event?

*And all the fucking bribery, of course.

The bribery is the only thing that really dismisses the Russian bid for me, and to be honest, this has been a facet of all the previous bid processes (allegedly).

Qatar getting it is the real problem, as far as I'm concerned. Though I guess you can argue that Russia's recent record with regards to human rights may be somewhat comparable to Qatar's gutter record.

• Options
    Russia's human rights record is bad, but it's not "forced thousands into slavery" bad.

• Options
    Russia is actually saved by Qatar being so awful. Because if not for Qatar we'd be asking questions about gay atheletes/their spouses being arrested for attending the world cup in homophobic fuck you that is russia. Or their blatant land grab in the Ukraine.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    USOC action for the day has started up. Sounders 2 just kicked off against Timbers 2, with a livestream here

The broadcast included this Timbers 2 lineup, which seems maybe a bit incorrect:

CGCcbjtVIAAaKDM.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, Coach Lastname is the future of US soccer. I see no problems here.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, what's the over/under on the FBI press conference being a bunch of people chanting, "We believe that we will win"?

Alt text:
    USA! USA! USA!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, what's the over/under on the FBI press conference being a bunch of people chanting, "We believe that we will win"?

Alt text:
    USA! USA! USA!

They already had an IRS official call this "the World Cup of fraud".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I wonder if Justino Compeán trying to leave the his position here in Mexico has something to do with this. It probably will.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    S2-T2 in the USOC goes to extra time, tied at 1-1. Sounders nearly got the game winner in the dying moments of second half stoppage.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    what's the take on how serious this is?

it sounds like, mega serious

It does, but I refuse to believe anything of note will happen. I guess I'm too cynical.

Honestly, every major sponsor from VISA, Adidas, Coca-cola etc will be jumping ship and distance its-self from anything FIFA related.
    I think personally that the name FIFA is over, the house of cards will collapse and something new will take its place.
    However, its a 50/50 chance that only the name will change and the same corrupt people will still be there, it will just become the wolf in sheeps clothing.

• Options
    http://screamer.deadspin.com/chart-the-qatar-world-cup-death-toll-is-stunning-1707286095?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

But remember this is no different than any other major sporting event that has killed over 1200 slave workers. In fact the Pharaohs had worse numbers according to biblical scholars and they didn't even get the world cup!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Meanwhile in lighter news, Toronto FC is taking Manchester City to the limit right now. 0-0 in the 78th minute and it'd be 1-0 Toronto if a shot didn't bound off the INSIDE of the post.

EDIT: Never mind. George Evans drops an eephus pitch into the side from downtown to make it 1-0 City.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://screamer.deadspin.com/chart-the-qatar-world-cup-death-toll-is-stunning-1707286095?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

But remember this is no different than any other major sporting event that has killed over 1200 slave workers. In fact the Pharaohs had worse numbers according to biblical scholars and they didn't even get the world cup!

Yeah, but look at all those unused facilities sitting around in Egypt.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    USOC action for the day has started up. Sounders 2 just kicked off against Timbers 2, with a livestream here

The broadcast included this Timbers 2 lineup, which seems maybe a bit incorrect:

CGCcbjtVIAAaKDM.png

Holy shit congratulations @Firstname Lastname

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    What the fuck are you yelling at me for? You are the one that told me to mark Garza and I did.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    two greg garzas, there's only two greg garzas

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'd like to thank the AFC for letting everyone know they stand with corruption. They are calling for the presidential elections to continue on Friday and are backing Sepp Blatter.

"The AFC is still undergoing its own process of reform and has taken many concrete steps in the last two years to improve governance in the Confederation, whilst recognising that there is still much work to do.

Furthermore, the AFC reiterates its decision taken at the AFC Congress in Sao Paulo in 2014, endorsed at subsequent Congresses in Melbourne and Manama in 2015, to support FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter."

nusu on
  • Options
    The fear of a UEFA dominated FIFA is somewhat justified for the smaller nations, to be fair.

Not that these dickheads won't be making sure they're well looked after during the process.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Does Septic Bladder have any chance of remaining President? Or is it a sad foregone conclusion that he'll stay on?

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Everyone in FIFA is beholden to him for something, so there's no way he'll leave unless its in handcuffs.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Everyone in FIFA is beholden to him for something, so there's no way he'll leave unless its in handcuffs.

If mafia dons can run things from inside a cell, I don't see why he can't.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Recalling the News of the World shuttering, if the sponsors get jittery and start pulling out, that might precipitate his being ousted, if not a collapse of FIFA.

No idea how likely that is though.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Does Septic Bladder have any chance of remaining President? Or is it a sad foregone conclusion that he'll stay on?

He's already put out that earlier statement implying that all this ruckus is the result of his office submitting documents to the Swiss authorities so he's definitely manoeuvring to stay in his position. It's likely why he wants to make sure the Presidential vote continues as normal on Friday. It's not even a vote really, just a formality before the coronation. Unless one of the authorities exposes evidence to really stick to Blatter I'd say he's staying.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it. The other thing that will bring down Blatter is if all the major sponsors pull out i.e. Coca-Cola, VISA, Adidas. If they all pull-out sponsorship in protest that'll have huge financial ramifications and as we've seen with FIFA, money always talks loudest.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Well, so far sponsor seem to only "express concerns" with only VISA actually threatening to pull out - at least according to one German news outlet. I hope they follow through. All of them.

Also UEFA threatens to boycott the election and calls for postponing it 6 months.

Don't have links (at least not in english) for either of those - I just hope they tear the whole thing down and throw Blatter in a dungeon or something.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    No sponsor wants to be the first to jump ship (just in case it all blows over, and they're left out in the cold), but none of them want to be the last one there, so if one or two do, they'll all pile out of there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    No sponsor wants to be the first to jump ship (just in case it all blows over, and they're left out in the cold), but none of them want to be the last one there, so if one or two do, they'll all pile out of there.

Anyone got a feeling Sony pulled out just at the right time?

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Also UEFA threatens to boycott the election and calls for postponing it 6 months.

Looks like coming out of this mornings emergency meeting, that UEFA has backed off the boycott threat. Platini being true to form.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Looks like coming out of this mornings emergency meeting, that UEFA has backed off the boycott threat. Platini being true to form.

They probably couldn't get enough other federations to agree, UEFA boycotting alone wouldn't have done anything but aid Blatter.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Now they want to back Prince Ali bin al-Hussein in tomorrows election and Platini told Blatter to resign.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So the u.s is cleaning up concacaf and conmebol. If only some other countries could step up in other federations.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32915815

Bit of positive news today if it hasn't already been posted.

• Options
    What ever happened to FIFA including indoor six a side mode.

Last game I remember with that in was FIFA 97 but admittedly I don't buy it every year.

This discussion has been closed.