As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spend more on snacks than what it cost to get in, cause you're at the [Movies]

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    oh no the awards themselves are silly

but the show
    I mean

It'll probably be pretty good?

Like I can't really think of any awards show bits that have really made me go OH WOW WHAT A SHOW outside of that one Conan musical number or one of the Emmys things where they actually filmed stuff with the casts of various shows with the hosts running through them

That was pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1q_8QQO70Q

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Clone Saga for best comic book event

See here's the funny thing about the Clone Saga

A lot of it is quite good!

..up to a point, a point at which it was originally supposed to end. But when they were getting to that point some of the less creative aspects of management realizes "hey woah woah woah, we are making a bunch of money on this.. let's keep it going! make it bigger!"

And that is when the Clone Saga became the Clone Saga

Also the Ultimate Clone Saga is legit great no reservations

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Maximum Carnage is absolute garbage though and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Are there any middle english films? Preferably ones with subtitles.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

there was that one episode of sleepy hollow where dudes from the seventeenth century were speaking it for some reason

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Would This is England be middle England? I remember it being "midlands" at the very least, but my grasp on english geography is pretty bad.

At any rate, it's one of my favourite films, and a pretty goddam good one.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm watching From Dusk Till Dawn
    Did people really go into this not knowing it was a vampire movie?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

there was that one episode of sleepy hollow where dudes from the seventeenth century were speaking it for some reason

Roanoke even, a colony that disapeared when Shakespeare was writing plays.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I didn't know it was a vampire movie

This was years and years ago though, and it became obvious pretty quickly

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Middle English the language of the middle ages. So Chaucer pretty much. It'd be really cool to see a historical film that actually uses the language of the time.

It's the mid point between Old English and Modern English. So it's both familiar and alien. You can read it fairly easily.

An Old English film would be great too. But it would be more difficult to do.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Would This is England be middle England? I remember it being "midlands" at the very least, but my grasp on english geography is pretty bad.

I think he means Middle English as in, the language of Chaucer and his contemporaries

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I think he means Middle English as in, the language of Chaucer and his contemporaries

A ryght peyn Þilk wolde be to under-giten

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Looks like I've gone and recommended the complete wrong thing

(but This is England is still a really good film).

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm planning on having a sci-fi/horror (space mostly) movie marathon for Halloween and I've come up this preliminary list:

Moon
    Event Horizon
    Alien
    Aliens
    Pacific Rim
    The Thing
    Sunshine
    Pitch Black
    Attack the Block

Maybe:
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    District 9
    Blade Runner (my roommate hasn't seen it)

Anything else I should consider?

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I feel like Dusk till Dawn is great up until the Vampire twist, not because the twist itself is ridiculous, but because the action after that point is so lazy and half-assed. It comes off as less "there was a monster moving hiding in this film all along!" and more "um, throw some vampires in and film lots and lots of quick action cuts which disorient the viewer into thinking something badass is happening, when it really isnt"

Also I enjoyed the Evil Dead remake better than the original, it has a kick ass ending and although the tree rape scene is still in there, its toned down and less film-ruining because of (maybe spoilers)
    the main character being a twist, where instead of the strapping level-headed white guy its the flawed but badass junkie chick who ends up ass-kicking

Prohass on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    wasn't dusk to dawn a slapstick comedy

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    An old English film would be hard since we can only guess at pronunciations

• Options
    Oh fucking hell Tarantino, fuck off with your foot fetish

• Options
    edited October 2014
    That's the entire fucking reason you wrote that scene and put yourself in the movie, wasn't it
    Ugh you weirdo

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Guh.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to older variants of English. Shakespeare is my jam and all that.

But Chaucer...

That was English in Alpha. Maybe pre-alpha. English before it was ready for the viewing public.

Early access English.

• Options
    It seems like a lot of people I know read Canterbury Tales at some point in school but I've never read a word of Chaucer

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Clone Saga for best comic book event

See here's the funny thing about the Clone Saga

A lot of it is quite good!

..up to a point, a point at which it was originally supposed to end. But when they were getting to that point some of the less creative aspects of management realizes "hey woah woah woah, we are making a bunch of money on this.. let's keep it going! make it bigger!"

And that is when the Clone Saga became the Clone Saga

Also the Ultimate Clone Saga is legit great no reservations

Like, I wasn't even joking. I own the collected editions and everything.

Mostly for nostalgia purposes, but yes, I will agree, it turns to poop 2/3rds of the way through.

I still love it though.

• Options
    That's the entire fucking reason you wrote that scene and put yourself in the movie, wasn't it
    Ugh you weirdo

It's not a Tarantino movie, so it's really just Robert Rodriguez indulging his buddy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    My disgust stands

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Nothing wrong with feet. Unless they belong to me, that is.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Feet can be cute

• Options
    Ok if you're into feet, fine, it ain't my thing but do what makes you happy
    But quit putting them front and center in your films and when you're in your buddy's film don't make me watch you sucking on Salma Hayek's toes

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah like

If you dig feet whatever more power to you

But I can still find it gross to watch

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    and to answer your question GG I am pretty sure the fact that there were vampires in it was in all the trailers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    But quit putting them front and center in your films and when you're in your buddy's film don't make me watch you sucking on Salma Hayek's toes

Well now I'm gonna do just that, just to spite you

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    wasn't dusk to dawn a slapstick comedy

kinda

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I don't have a foot fetish and I'd love to suck on Salma Hayek's feet.

Just saying....

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    You did not have to say

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    By the way, I got to see a free early-screening of John Wick.

It was incredibly brutal and it is so enjoyable watching Keanue Reeves headshot his way through a river of Russian mobsters in heated pursuit of Theon Greyjoy.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You did not have to say

DIDN'T I!?!?!

• Options
    No

No you did not

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I AM THE RISING TIDE

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Guh.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to older variants of English. Shakespeare is my jam and all that.

But Chaucer...

That was English in Alpha. Maybe pre-alpha. English before it was ready for the viewing public.

Early access English.

No that's old English, keep up!

• Options
    It seems like a lot of people I know read Canterbury Tales at some point in school but I've never read a word of Chaucer

It is really good and also this is because he's on a lot of school curriculums if only for students to memorize the first passage of the tales. But if your high school didn't do it then it's not likely you'd ever read him.

• Options
    I didn't do Chaucer til university.

This discussion has been closed.