Options

Spend more on snacks than what it cost to get in, cause you're at the [Movies]

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I just rewatched looper

I have revised my opinion on kid blue

he is fantastic, he takes fuck-up to a level that is incredibly impressive and that I really have to respect

The thing about Kid Blue is that he's not stupid - he is actually pretty clever and figures out stuff in the film that nobody else does - but he's arrogant and cocksure.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    After some distractions kept me from finishing the film yesterday, I resumed Man on Fire this morning.

It was very much still an exceptionally good film.

Not everyone's cup of tea, I understand. The film gets pretty violent during the 2nd act, and it can a bit much for some viewers.

But it's just so good.

And I teared up at the ending.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited October 2014
    whoops double post

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited October 2014
    triple post, dang

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Uh shit

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited October 2014
    what the fuck, forums?

Goatmon on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Cinco post!

• Options
    I think that's a personal record.

I may need to lie down after that many posts in a row.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    well maybe trashy is a better word I don't know. I don't mean it as a good or bad thing, more the type of story that it's telling, it's not a great descriptor but I aint thinking of a good one. To see if anyone else said similar I've just typed gone girl schlock into google and got this

"It's schlock, but it's the Mozart of schlock"

Fair enough! Sorry, wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything I just wasnt familiar with that use

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    No and now you're banned from movies

Good going, Edgar

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Probably less excited about Interstellar than I have been for any other Nolan film

But I'll see it in theaters, I owe the man that much

Also those rumors about it having the Avengers 2 trailer

• Options
    They aren't rumors, the trailer is in front of Interstellar

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Well then

Even better

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh yeah!

This is everyone's yearly reminder that Columbus was an awful, horrible man

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My College didnt acknowledge Columbus day and instead celebrated Indiginous People day

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    My College didnt acknowledge Columbus day and instead celebrated Indiginous People day

I get the day off and every year I link an article on facebook about what a fuckwad he was

My own little tiny crusade

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, happy Genocidal Lost Italian Man Day!

Man On Fire is so great.

"I wish... you had... more time."

So fucking harsh.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So I guess John Wick is playing at some film festivals and getting great reviews right now

Which makes me so happy, I can't even tell you

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    John Wick is going to be badass.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    And now I'm watching Pale Rider!
    @Chincymcchilla‌ you watch it yet?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    And now I'm watching Pale Rider!
    @Chincymcchilla‌ you watch it yet?

I was planning on it today

Then I shopped for 4 hours and cleaned the apartment for 6

Its #1 on my netflix queue tho

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla‌ have you seen High Plains Drifter? That's another one with supernatural elements you might like

• Options
    Watching Neighbors

Holy shit Zac Efron is pitch perfect as a douchey Frat Guy oh my lord

I swear I have met him on campus

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also this movie's use of ridiculous modern EDM/Dubstep is on par with the Jump Street movies holy shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Neighbors is a fantastic movie that brought me around on Zac Efron

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm really enjoying it

Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne are an adorable movie couple too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh my god
    "As a child of divorce I can't help but sympathize with them."

"Well, my parents love each other and I think it is hilarious."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'll never not think of this when people talk about that film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJd81rdbHBI

Which is why 'Bad' was added to the film title over here.

• Options
    Yeah okay Neighbors was really good!

Not quite on par with Jump Street but definitely better than I expected

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Watching silver linings playbook for the first time. and: Spoilered for spoilers, and a decent size rant.
    I got all excited for Pat to fail the Fred Flintstone waterbuffalo lodge test of being in two places at once and wearing the wrong gear, sadly that did not happen. What DID happen though seemed like a really shallow treatment of mental issues, along with setting up what is likely to be an awful co-dependent relationship without some immediate counseling. Maybe I am just thinking too hard, I went into this having heard that it tweaks the manic pixie dream girl theme, but honestly, it's still a crazy woman pulling a man out of a funk, just his funk is mental illness rather than losing his joi de verve. I think I would have been a lot happier with a non hollywood ending though. Maybe Pat pushes through, but in the process leaves J. Law and his asshole father behind. Also also, they could have called Chris Tuckers character "Token".

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah MI5 is domestic. MI6 is James Bond.

MI1 (codes) MI8 (signals) and MI10 (spy gadgets) all still exist as GCHQ
    MI4 (maps) and MI15 (analysis of aerial photography) is now part of the Royal Air Force
    MI14 were a special intelligence department for WW2 focusing on Germany, after the war they merged back into MI6, MI2 & MI3 were the same but for different geographic areas.
    MI7 (propaganda - the guys who made http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On_Poster.svg) and MI12 (censorship) existed up till 2011 though they were absorbed by the civilian CoI

MI19 were the interrogators/torturers, they're outsourced now.

Dis' on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

MI4 (maps) and MI15 (analysis of aerial photography) is now part of the Royal Air Force
    MI14 were a special intelligence department for WW2 focusing on Germany, after the war they merged back into MI6, MI2 & MI3 were the same but for different geographic areas.
    MI7 (propaganda - the guys who made http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On_Poster.svg) and MI12 (censorship) existed up till 2011 though they were absorbed by the civilian CoI

Was so going to awesome this until I got to that last sentence, so you get a crackle instead.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Watching silver linings playbook for the first time. and: Spoilered for spoilers, and a decent size rant.
    I got all excited for Pat to fail the Fred Flintstone waterbuffalo lodge test of being in two places at once and wearing the wrong gear, sadly that did not happen. What DID happen though seemed like a really shallow treatment of mental issues, along with setting up what is likely to be an awful co-dependent relationship without some immediate counseling. Maybe I am just thinking too hard, I went into this having heard that it tweaks the manic pixie dream girl theme, but honestly, it's still a crazy woman pulling a man out of a funk, just his funk is mental illness rather than losing his joi de verve. I think I would have been a lot happier with a non hollywood ending though. Maybe Pat pushes through, but in the process leaves J. Law and his asshole father behind. Also also, they could have called Chris Tuckers character "Token".

I don't completely remember the movie.

But the one thing I clearly remember is the presentation of the mental issues was terrible.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

I visited a facility once where they train interrogators and they're very particular about the whole "not torture" thing.

Which was funny because the rooms there were named after Norse gods, and their two interrogation rooms were named Tor and Tyr.

The Swedish word for torture? Tortyr.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

I visited a facility once where they train interrogators and they're very particular about the whole "not torture" thing.

Which was funny because the rooms there were named after Norse gods, and their two interrogation rooms were named Tor and Tyr.

The Swedish word for torture? Tortyr.

The MI19 of WW2 and the post-war colonial insurgencies is obviously a different kettle of fish from modern agencies. The outsourcing comment was 99% facetious since torture isn't an effective tool (and MI19 personnel actually went to work for MI5 & MI6) but I'm not going to say its inconceivable that a western intelligence agency is going get someone to do it/have connections with those who do).

• Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    It's all about plausible deniability, right? The US made a promise not to undertake assassination missions in the 70's, so instead, we traded signals intelligence with the British and asked pretty please for some bad people to stop breathing.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I don't completely remember the movie.

But the one thing I clearly remember is the presentation of the mental issues was terrible.
    FWIW, at the end of the movie Pat is still in therapy and back on his meds and it's pretty likely Tiffany is medicated as well.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Torture outsourcing by Western nations is an extremely real thing that happens all the time, even if it's slightly less blatant than "torture this guy for us and tell us what he says", more like "hold this guy for us and if he happens to scream anything interesting for whatever reason we'd love to hear about it"

This discussion has been closed.