As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My big issue with EO is the lack of a story. Or maybe there is a story. I don't know because I have yet to get consistent answers. Going to get Mystery Dungeon though because that looks like more fun than regular EO.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    No on my walks to work I get the odd streetpasses from japan and mexico and such
    It's no where near a Mc'd or ATT Wifi so I have no idea why I am getting them

Could be you're walking past someone running Homepass. I use it and I get passes from all over the place.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    My big issue with EO is the lack of a story. Or maybe there is a story. I don't know because I have yet to get consistent answers. Going to get Mystery Dungeon though because that looks like more fun than regular EO.

EO Games are, generally, story free. Untold, though, is a remake of EO1 with a story bolted onto it, complete with a set party of actual characters. There's a demo if you want to give it a look.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The demo of Etrian Odyssey Untold has convinced me to get it . . . when I have the cash.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    If you ever go in a McDonalds, Best Buy, Home Depot, or any other retail establishment that offers AT&T as their hotspot service, you'll get streetpasses.

I make it a point to pass by Best Buy at least once a week for a few streetpasses, and the Wal-Mart I visit most often is right next to a Home Depot, where I often pick up a few streetpasses while parking.

I got a streetpass while out at lunch today, I think from the cashier at Jimmy Johns, but I'm not entirely sure.

I have little to no reason to leave the house during the day, and even less reason to enter any of those establishments.

Which really says more about my lack of exercise and general movement during the day than it does the features of games which, by their nature, rewards interaction with the world on at least a superficial level. :wink:

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If EOU is Millenium Girl then I did like the bit of story from the demo when I played it. Think I picked it up during the sale a few weeks ago actually. I also have EO4 and it pretty much threw me straight in the deep-end with making new characters and picking their classes for a squad before I knew what was going on, which annoyed me.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So McDonald's and home depot and stuff. You don't have to manually access the Nintendo zone, it just happens?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    The demo of Etrian Odyssey Untold has convinced me to get it . . . when I have the cash.

Wait for a sale. It goes on sale all the damn time, usually for 50% off.

• Options
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Wait for a sale. It goes on sale all the damn time, usually for 50% off.

Oh, I plan on it. I'm a skinflint by any measure, so sales are assumed if I'm buying anything.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So McDonald's and home depot and stuff. You don't have to manually access the Nintendo zone, it just happens?

It's *supposed* to automatically detect Nintendo Zones, but something changed last year and it's become less reliable. The McDonald's closest to me is technically a Zone, but it no longer identifies as such. But it still provides streetpasses, etc, you just can't use the Zone features such as internet access. I've heard some people say that it's something about requiring a login page, kind of like when you use wifi at a hotel, but I never bothered to check out as I only want the passes anyways.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Yep. Takes anywhere from 10 seconds to a few minutes, depending on how many people are using the wifi.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Correct. I walk into a Future Shop or Best Buy (in Canada) and walk out with 10 streetpasses without my 3DS leaving my pocket.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Correct. I walk into a Future Shop or Best Buy (in Canada) and walk out with 10 streetpasses without my 3DS leaving my pocket.

Well, Streetpass Relay stations cap out at 6 streetpasses, unless they've changed that recently.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

Well, Streetpass Relay stations cap out at 6 streetpasses, unless they've changed that recently.

Relay does still cap at 6, but if the address changes frequently then you could conceivably get 10 per visit. Fairly simple to rotate addresses but I'd be surprised to see a retail store make that kind of effort.
    He's probably getting 6 relays and 4 in-person passes.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you can also get an older, unsed router you might have and make a homepass station out of it. All you need is DDWRT on it. You'll get plenty of streetpasses from all over the world, and real people too.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Relay does still cap at 6, but if the address changes frequently then you could conceivably get 10 per visit. Fairly simple to rotate addresses but I'd be surprised to see a retail store make that kind of effort.

Or there's two routers in the store -- that's what happens with me at Home Depot.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Or there's two routers in the store -- that's what happens with me at Home Depot.

yea, I think it's more a case of 2 routers in the store. Lots of bigger stores like a Best Buy will have at least two to cover the entire store. a McDonalds probably will have just one.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Cool, didn't think of that. There are no Home Depots around here and I go to Best Buy maybe once a year. Might swing by it then, I like Homepass a lot but getting local passes has advantages, especially if you're trying to level friends for Find Mii

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    you can also get an older, unsed router you might have and make a homepass station out of it. All you need is DDWRT on it. You'll get plenty of streetpasses from all over the world, and real people too.

This is what I do and it's fantastic. Makes those DLC Streetpass games totally worth it.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    It makes the whole system cooler. Nintendo should make this thing work as default, just as they do with the blue dot stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I use this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Wireless-N-Repeater-802-11N-Expander/dp/B006J1ZAR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It seems to have a fair number of poor reviews, but I've had mine plugged in nonstop since October of last year and have had literally zero problems with it. I figured for under 20 bucks even if it didnt work great it was worth a shot, but have had nothing but good to say about it. Super easy to set up, too. The only thing I have to do is run a batch command when I want to change sources, and you can set up that batch to automatically switch sources at user-set intervals (2 hours, 15 minutes, whatever). Setting it too low is 'wasteful' though, you end up with more streetpasses than you can process and if too many people are running low intervals at the same time you end up passing the same people over and over regardless of the address.

There are even addresses that only carry Miis of a certain color shirt, which is super useful if you're trying for specific things in the games.

• Options
    It makes the whole system cooler. Nintendo should make this thing work as default, just as they do with the blue dot stuff.

Nice as it would be for us, the entire reason Streetpass exists is to encourage us to keep the system in our pants and not get tempted away by smartphones.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just finished getting the last puzzle piece I was missing. 1400+ pieces done!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'd be happy for your accomplishment if, you know, you didn't work in the puzzle factory. ;-)

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

I'd be happy for your accomplishment if, you know, you didn't work in the puzzle factory. ;-)

I'm at 1100 pieces for the puzzles. They've released a number of puzzles the last few months, which is great because new content, but also bad because gotta catch em' all.

Really though, if you ever want to finsh all the street pass stuff, just go to PAX. You could literally do nothing but sit on your 3DS and do streetpass the entire PAX.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I hate that the max streetpass queue is 10.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

I'm at 1100 pieces for the puzzles. They've released a number of puzzles the last few months, which is great because new content, but also bad because gotta catch em' all.

Really though, if you ever want to finsh all the street pass stuff, just go to PAX. You could literally do nothing but sit on your 3DS and do streetpass the entire PAX.

This is exactly why I stopped taking my 3DS to PAX. I realized I was missing PAX to sort puzzle pieces.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I hate that the max streetpass queue is 10.

yes, but at an event like PAX, as soon as you go to the plaza gate and get 10 Mii's in it you'll pretty much immedately get 10 more waiting in streetpass. It Doesn't end, even in the hotels.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So this is a dumb question since my internet connection skipped out when I was trying to download the background for getting MH4 the machine knows I will get it or?

@Brainleech If the code went through, you should be able to redownload it from the Theme Shop. If not, you should be able to reenter the code.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    My New 3DS has arrived here at work, big upgrade over the DS Lite I've got at home! Got New Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D Land, along with Majora's Mask, with Kingdom Hearts in the mail arriving early next week. Anything I should know? Is there still a thing where you can enter your Nintendo purchases in exchange for games through the club thing, and if so, what are the games currently on offer? Pretty excited, but I've been sick for the last couple months off and on, currently have some sinus issues, and don't want to risk a migraine while it's playing at a headache...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    My New 3DS has arrived here at work, big upgrade over the DS Lite I've got at home! Got New Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D Land, along with Majora's Mask, with Kingdom Hearts in the mail arriving early next week. Anything I should know? Is there still a thing where you can enter your Nintendo purchases in exchange for games through the club thing, and if so, what are the games currently on offer? Pretty excited, but I've been sick for the last couple months off and on, currently have some sinus issues, and don't want to risk a migraine while it's playing at a headache...

Actually this is the last month of Club Nintendo, so there's a much larger game selection than normal (if you're in NA).

And you might still get Flipnote Studio for free for signing up at club.nintendo.com

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Who has successfully transferred their old data to a micro SD card larger than 32 gig and used it with the New 3DSXL?

I've tried three cards, but the console doesn't see any of them? I'm stuck with a 16 gig card that barely holds my games.

@Man of the Waves

I followed this guide to upgrade from Old 3DS w/32GB card to New 3DS XL w/64GB MicroSD. I think this is similar to what you are trying to do, from the sounds of it. Read the full guide carefully, it takes a bit of doing but it can be done.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    for those talking about using a router to streetpass from the interwebs, you can also just do it in windows 7 and any wireless receiver (like a 10 dollar usb one)...there were links in the old thread but i'm sure a little googling will turn up how...what i'm saying is, you don't need a special router to do it!

• Options
    well, if you do have a router lying around, it's much easier.
    But I agree, don't buy one just for homepass.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Well, that's frustrating. DS Lite registration on the Club thingum doesn't net ANY gold coins. Also, the spare 32GB MicroSD cards are not detected when inserted. Bah.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am 1200+ pieces in the puzzles but I don't have them completed

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I get a few StreetPasses when I'm up at the community college. It's nice having a few Lv5s in Find Mii.

...Except I'm now in the dark room. I don't have to light the room up and beat the baddies in one go, do I?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    No you can light up the room and come back or have the next in line take the baddies on

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Are the other street pass games worth grabbing?

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Stupid question that might have been answered in the previous thread, and I didn't see it, but I was wondering if I got a new 3DS, when I did the system transfer would the streetpass puzzle pieces get transferred also? Just curious.