JRPG thread: save the drama for yo mama

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wait, what?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2015
    There's a new Summon Night game on the vita, I just saw it when browsing the eshop. Apparently it came out in December.

Summon Night is a series of weird rpg-ish games with light dating sim stuff mixed in. In America there were two on the gba and one on the ds but there are a bunch we never got. Summon Night 1 is one of my favorite RPGs on the gba and that's really saying something; that system was heavy with jurps. Apparently gaijinworks(bless them) translated the most recent one.

Whippy on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So is there a reason I should not swap Divisions to Prospectors? Because looking at the rankings for the past weeks they seem to take first place every single day by a ludicrous amount.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    You better like silly vocals because this game is FULL of them. I like silly vocals.

Oh god really? I was gonna get this game next, but uh

Probably not.

The Xenoblade Chronicles X logo and the Tales of Zestiria logo in the OP are both clickable links that take you to different silly vocal songs from XCX

One of them plays when you fly in a safe environment, the other for the 2-5 seconds you spend picking out which squad you're being deployed with at startup, so the song at the end of the Tales link is only heard in context if you actually sit and listen to it

This is the song that plays when you fight named enemies, this game's equivalent to You Will Know Our Names

When you're out exploring in the world, though, you don't usually get vocal songs, you tend to get pieces more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqmmLaSYyo

But yeah, if silly anime songs with barely understandable lyrics about two people arguing about their relationship or flying through space or whatever turns you off, this probably isn't your game
    Madican wrote: »
    So is there a reason I should not swap Divisions to Prospectors? Because looking at the rankings for the past weeks they seem to take first place every single day by a ludicrous amount.

None whatsoever. I moved over last night and got my first Salvage Ticket

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

@Chincymcchilla Yoooooo

Further deets - up-ressed, autosave, achievements, high speed mode. Seems to be the same suite of additions FF7 received, neat.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Does Fire Emblem Awakening count as a JRPG?

Because I just got a 3DS with it for christmas and yo this is my jam

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

dear god why

This is really disappointing, the beginning of this song is great! And then

then it goes real bad

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I totally forgot about the Summon Night series. I rather enjoyed those.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Holy shit holy shit there's a new summon night game localized? And nobody told me?

I've played 2 missions. The translation is awkward, but the game seems cool so far.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Summon Night is awesome.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I only played the spin-offs, the main series is a tactics game?

Unfortunately the Vita is so maligned at this point there are tons of games that got released/localized on it that I never even know about.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I played a bunch of ff9 recently but I'll buy that and start over for sure. The textures look so much better!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Oh wow I really didn't expect that to ever happen
    Like holy shit man

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Oh wow I really didn't expect that to ever happen
    Like holy shit man

Oh man, FF9 was in a list of leaks for upcoming Steam games

Along with the FFX/X-2 remaster.

I guess those leaks were accurate!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Whippy wrote: »
    There's a new Summon Night game on the vita, I just saw it when browsing the eshop. Apparently it came out in December.

Summon Night is a series of weird rpg-ish games with light dating sim stuff mixed in. In America there were two on the gba and one on the ds but there are a bunch we never got. Summon Night 1 is one of my favorite RPGs on the gba and that's really saying something; that system was heavy with jurps. Apparently gaijinworks(bless them) translated the most recent one.

Damnit, why did it have to be Vita?

Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 on the GBA were my jam.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    You better like silly vocals because this game is FULL of them. I like silly vocals.

Oh god really? I was gonna get this game next, but uh

Probably not.

The Xenoblade Chronicles X logo and the Tales of Zestiria logo in the OP are both clickable links that take you to different silly vocal songs from XCX

One of them plays when you fly in a safe environment, the other for the 2-5 seconds you spend picking out which squad you're being deployed with at startup, so the song at the end of the Tales link is only heard in context if you actually sit and listen to it

This is the song that plays when you fight named enemies, this game's equivalent to You Will Know Our Names

When you're out exploring in the world, though, you don't usually get vocal songs, you tend to get pieces more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqmmLaSYyo

But yeah, if silly anime songs with barely understandable lyrics about two people arguing about their relationship or flying through space or whatever turns you off, this probably isn't your game

I dunno, I can always just wear headphones and put the original Xenoblade soundtrack on.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

@Chincymcchilla Yoooooo

Further deets - up-ressed, autosave, achievements, high speed mode. Seems to be the same suite of additions FF7 received, neat.

God is real

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

@Chincymcchilla Yoooooo

I have a story about this

I just met a friend in my hometown for lunch and he gave me a framed print of the awesome art he made for my podcast and then told me that ff9 was coming to PC uprezed with high speed and I may have hugged him and cried on him a little

Thanks for thinking of me! I can't wait

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

@Chincymcchilla Yoooooo

God is real

Yeah, uh, those additional details move that firmly into must-buy territory.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    For a long time there was a rumor that square lost the ff9 source code

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

dear god why

then it goes real bad
    Nah Uncontrollable is great. It's stupid and dumb but it's just the right kind of stupid and dumb.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I like Uncontrollable a lot

But it's no Those Who Bear Their Name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjDxl5ldtdg

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »

dear god why

then it goes real bad
    Nah Uncontrollable is great. It's stupid and dumb but it's just the right kind of stupid and dumb.

I vehemently disagree!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I totally underestimated how good medium skells are, as a total aside.

Starting with 6000 GP is actually a really huge big deal

The way skell overdrive works, you activate it, but it doesn't consume the 3000 GP until after the overdrive ends; so a skell with 6000 max GP could get to 3000, activate overdrive, and then continue accruing GP up to 6000 over the duration of the overdrive, then overdrive ends and you get -3000 GP... and then you can just immediately activate overdrive again because you're still at 3000.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It's like Kill la Kill's "Don't Lose Your Way". It's cheesy as can be but people still love to sing along to it.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    It's like Kill la Kill's "Don't Lose Your Way". It's cheesy as can be but people still love to sing along to it.

buttrock

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    For a long time there was a rumor that square lost the ff9 source code

This is still the rumor. Possible to rip compressed assets and fuck with them to an extent.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Maybe on the PC FF9 won't run like total dogshit like it does on my Vita. I'd really like to give that game a shot but it's glacial speed when it's working correctly. When it drops 20% of it's frames and skips in cutscenes, I couldn't deal with it.

Here's hoping. High speed mode also sounds great, all rpgs should have a hold down button to increase game speed option. Looks real clean uprezzed as well. Much excitement.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Does Fire Emblem Awakening count as a JRPG?

Because I just got a 3DS with it for christmas and yo this is my jam

100%, if you wanna talk about it here

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Maybe on the PC FF9 won't run like total dogshit like it does on my Vita. I'd really like to give that game a shot but it's glacial speed when it's working correctly. When it drops 20% of it's frames and skips in cutscenes, I couldn't deal with it.

Here's hoping. High speed mode also sounds great, all rpgs should have a hold down button to increase game speed option. Looks real clean uprezzed as well. Much excitement.

For all it's flaws, Bravely Default set what I want to be the standard for random encounter RPGs. Full control over encounter rate, the ability to set a rigidly-controlled auto-battle, and fast-forward/slow-down controls.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Awakening is the most JRPG game in a series of JRPGs.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

For all it's flaws, Bravely Default set what I want to be the standard for random encounter RPGs. Full control over encounter rate, the ability to set a rigidly-controlled auto-battle, and fast-forward/slow-down controls.

Totally agree, that was the best part about bravely default and why it's the furthest i've gotten in a jrpg in a decade.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

I actually prefer it to You Will Know Our Names

Of the three major "named enemy" battle themes I've liked in the past few years—That Person's Name Is, Uncontrollable, and You Will Know Our Names—I think YWKON might be my least favorite

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

It's so dumb!

In other news I finally beat Telethia Plume... and it respawns with full health again, ticking down one on that enormous counter. C'mon, game. Still, I said I'd give my Skells names when I defeated it so I can tick that off my to-do list.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

I actually prefer it to You Will Know Our Names

Of the three major "named enemy" battle themes I've liked in the past few years—That Person's Name Is, Uncontrollable, and You Will Know Our Names—I think YWKON might be my least favorite

God, the asterisk battle theme is SO GOOD.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    How tough is the Plume exactly? I've never been able to do much to it. What'd you bring to that fight? I wonder if I can just Overdrive it to death

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Awakening is the most JRPG game in a series of JRPGs.

Least till Fates comes out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah - Robin may not have feet, but at least he wears shoes.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    How tough is the Plume exactly? I've never been able to do much to it. What'd you bring to that fight? I wonder if I can just Overdrive it to death

Myself and Lin were in heavy Skells and Alexa had my hand-me-down start one (Elma I haven't given one yet). I don't recall my full Skell gear set but the shoulder charge, the slow arts debuff and the fold-out rifle blast were helpful, I just got in close and hacked away with the Heat Edge. As for difficulty it's pretty tough, but I dunno if it's abilities are random or what, I beat it handily and whittled it's health down to 50% again before time ran out, but my previous attempt it easily crippled my heavy skell within a minute. Overdrive definitely helped.

It has topple and sleep abilities that are pretty annoying, otherwise it wasn't too bad.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

@Chincymcchilla Yoooooo

@Chincymcchilla Yoooooo

Yes yes yessssss this is fantastic news

This discussion has been closed.