As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You know how Ming-Na Wen doesn't even remotely look 52?

I saw a picture of her from 2006... She looks like a teenager!
    Ming-Na_4.jpg

Keanu Reeves has some immortal competition!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It just kinda sounds like Arrow is a bad show and very few of you people watching it actually enjoy it anymore

Every week people flip out over Flash and have nothing but grumbling about Arrow
    That's definitely how it is for me

This season was very promising what with the seeming influence from Flash in regards to it being more superheroic and Ollie officially becoming Green Arrow but that went away very quickly and it is the same forced bullshit drama that sank Season 3

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Season 3 of Arrow started out quite good I thought!

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    It did when it was all OH SHIT THEYRE DOING RA'S FINALLY AND ITS THE ATOM AND WHOAAAA but it didn't last long

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular

season 3 started by fridging one of the most popular characters on the show!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It also seems like Arrow isn't doing anything that isn't being done better on Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, or Supergirl

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Legends of Tomorrow is very bad

• Options
    It also seems like Arrow isn't doing anything that isn't being done better on Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, or Supergirl
    It would be fine if they were going for a darker Daredevil esque tone but they are really bad at that too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Pony wrote: »

And it sounds like it's better at being a bad show!

They're at least doing outlandish crazy shit, Arrow sounds like a dreary soap opera where any minute Stephen Amell will re-enter the show wearing an eyepatch saying he's Oliver Queen's long lost evil twin

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It got better

Still not gonna call it great but it is better than Arrow currently is

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It would be fine if they were going for a darker Daredevil esque tone but they are really bad at that too

Season two was the high point for that stuff, with Slade?

Shit was strong then

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Season two was the high point for that stuff, with Slade?

Shit was strong then
    Slade basically carried that season and everything since pales in comparison

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Can we not refer to the death of any female character for any ole reason as fridging

"But it happened solely to add drama and motiva-..."

Yes this is why all shocking deaths happen in all fiction ever. It's why Obi Wan dies.

Fridging is a highly specific, sexist as fuck trope

It's a thing, it happens

Genericizing the term obfuscates when it actually takes place and why it's a problem

• Options
    It took me a real long time to realize that "Slade" and Deathstroke were the same character

I blame it on the Teen Titans cartoon exclusively calling him Slade

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Its kinda weird because I feel like I should like her, but in reality I just don't find Caity Lotz's character even remotely interesting in either show.

• Options
    God dammit Deathstroke was so good

Definitely in the Top 10 of supervillain adaptations

Maybe even Top 5

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Can we not refer to the death of any female character for any ole reason as fridging

Yes this is why all shocking deaths happen in all fiction ever. It's why Obi Wan dies.

It's a thing, it happens

Genericizing the term obfuscates when it actually takes place and why it's a problem

i agree

which is why i'm using it in the correct context in this instance

• Options

Its kinda weird because I feel like I should like her, but in reality I just don't find Caity Lotz's character even remotely interesting in either show.

i personally agree, but a big section of the fanbase really likes her and was pissed when she was killed off, which is part of why they brought her back

• Options

It's a thing, it happens

i agree

It isn't though

While killing Sara definitely was a ploy to fuck with Ollie by Malcolm, it was also blackmail he used to get closer to Thea and try to further corrupt her

It wasn't a fridging

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

It's a thing, it happens

i agree

It isn't though

While killing Sara definitely was a ploy to fuck with Ollie by Malcolm, it was also blackmail he used to get closer to Thea and try to further corrupt her

It wasn't a fridging

Also, from a writing perspective, the character it most motivated and emotionally changed was Laurel

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    That it was primarily used to develop my most hated character in the show just made me hate that it happened even more.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Also isn't fridging when like, a villain kills a hero's girlfriend explicitly just to fuck with them?

Traditionally, by leaving the body somewhere for them to find?

• Options
    The term "Women in Refrigerators" was coined by writer Gail Simone as a name for the website in early 1999 during online discussions about comic books with friends. It refers to an incident in Green Lantern #54 (1994), written by Ron Marz, in which Kyle Rayner, the title hero, comes home to his apartment to find that his girlfriend, Alexandra DeWitt, had been killed by the villain Major Force and stuffed into a refrigerator. Simone and her colleagues then developed a list of fictional female characters who had been "killed, maimed or depowered", in particular in ways that treated the female character as merely a device to move a male character's story arc forward, rather than as a fully developed character in her own right.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I still mostly enjoy Arrow, except when they get too mired in gloominess or relationship drama. I also still very much enjoy The Flash, which some people are definitely down on this season. Legends is...not great overall, but I think it has a lot of potential to grow and has already shown the ability to improve.

It's not quite the same kind of superhero show, but my favorite comic book show right now is almost certainly Agents of Shield. The last episode was fantastic.

RE: this episode of Arrow
    Laurel is honestly not one of the people I really expected to be the big death. At least until some big-ass death anvils started falling for her this episode. I think they might have gone a bit heavy on the Imminent Death Sentimentality.

But I think I'm having trouble processing the impact. From couple of interviews I've read it certainly sounds permanent, though KC may still pop up in some other capacity. But there's also just something so fishy about cutting away before she tells Ollie something important and then cutting back as she starts seizing. I get that it could just be a meaningful conversation that they'll flashback to later, but the speculation of a fakeout is definitely out there. So I guess I'm just not 100% trusting of what's going on.

• Options
    Huh? People are down on Flash this season?

This season has been awesome!

• Options
    I enjoy it enough, but the melodrama has gotten really hammy over the past two seasons.

The action does nothing for me anymore, though. The choreography has become way too predictable and boring. Team arrow basically survives at this point on the virtue of everyone else being completely incapable of hurting them, ever, except when it helps advance the plot in some way.

Arrow usually only gets really fun when they crossover with Flash.

• Options
    I think Flash has had a few down parts this season, the Patty plotline for one, but is still excellent and the Earth-2 shit has been fantastic

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    The whole "Green Arrow" namechange ended up meaning absolutely nothing

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I need to catch up on Flash, but when I consider catching up on Arrow, it's just this feeling of...I don't know, a deep sigh?

I should just watch Seasons 1 and 2 over and over again.

• Options
    Barry and Patty were adorable
    I'm so annoyed they shut that down so quick.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I feel like Arrow hasn't done a good job of making me care about the villains all that much, and without that it feels like half a show. Slade was great, because we had a really solid motivation and understanding of him before he was revealed as the major villain. Reverse Flash was good for the same reason, we had a really good buildup of the villain and had him fleshed out before his actual plan reveal was necessary. Ra's and Darhk just don't seem that well fleshed out and it's a pain to sit through most of the season before we get any kind of motive for the main villain and that leaves the heroes with very little payoff for countering them. This is why villains tend to upstage the heroes in media. Because the narrative payoff that heroes get from opposing a great villain with solid motives is more than the hero gets from just being a guy in a suit who fights crime just because it's against the law. Arrow, and to an extent Flash, just seem to be flagging on great villains.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure about the "general" audience, but the D&D thread is definitely less positive about Flash this season. I still really enjoy it though I do think they've made some mistakes.
    Barry and Patty
    WERE super adorable, and I really liked Patty, but then they killed the relationship with bullshit secret drama and Barry being a big dumb dummy. I really want her to come back sooner rather than later.
    Recent reveals
    Also having the big bad for the second time in a row be a speedster mentor betraying the group is...not ideal. I feel like there must be more going on there based on what we've seen because it doesn't make sense otherwise, so I'm trying not to judge it until we seemingly get some answers in the next episode. Still though.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I sure am glad I gave up on Arrow back near the end of season 3

• Options
    edited April 2016
    New recap/trailer for Civil War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fc-qgLGQ-I

They're really playing up the "Things have been leading to this for YEARS" angle I'd like to pretend it's a subtle jab at DC.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I dunno, it felt a bit random.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    You know how Ming-Na Wen doesn't even remotely look 52?

I saw a picture of her from 2006... She looks like a teenager!
    Ming-Na_4.jpg

Keanu Reeves has some immortal competition!

That's because she's a Vulcan.

rwul91.png

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    New recap/trailer for Civil War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fc-qgLGQ-I

They're really playing up the "Things have been leading to this for YEARS" angle I'd like to pretend it's a subtle jab at DC.

They kinda have. I didn't realize until the previous recap how on the nose it is that the first thing Tony says when he gets back is "I've become apart of a system that is comfortable with zero accountability".

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I was all excited for this but then I read Remender saying the lead character is a dying knight and the core theme of the book is moral compromise and God dammit Rick can you write anything that isn't horribly depressing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    No.

No he cannot.

• Options
    Moon Knight #1 preview
    5137106-2+moonkn2016001_int3-1.jpg
    5137109-3+moonkn2016001_int3-2.jpg
    5137110-4+moonkn2016001_int3-3.jpg
    5137111-5+moonkn2016001_int3-4.jpg