As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

134689100

Posts

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Steve Orlando says that his view of Supergirl is that she is a character whose strength is only rivaled by her compassion and that the primary influence for the title is Superman: The Animated Series

    Yup

    Gonna get that book

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i would not mind if greg pak just started writing full time for Young Animal

  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Flash Earth 2 episode

    This is fun and all, but isn't it kind of fucked up that
    Iris-2 was comforted by a doppelgänger of her husband when her father died?

    Alternately, that Barry-2 couldn't be there for his wife when she lost her father?

    UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Flash Earth 2 episode

    This is fun and all, but isn't it kind of fucked up that
    Iris was comforted by a doppelgänger of her husband when her father died?
    Yes but she isn't kept in the dark too much longer

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    WB might be forced to change course by their shareholders. They haven't exactly been doing too well recently. They released several big flops last year, like Jupiter Ascending, Pan, and In the Heart of the Sea. Even some of their well reviewed films, like Black Mass and Fury Road, didn't make that much money. In fact, last year, WB's films made less money than Bueno Vista/Disney and Universal films despite the fact that WB put out as many movies as those two studios combined.

    KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, BvS being bad didn't sink it.

    BvS being utterly grim and humorless for 2.5 hours did.

    Yeah. Again, even Nolan's Bat-films had a bunch of little moments of levity

    I think you could do completely humorless and have people come back to it? But the movie would have to be, y'know

    Good

    The combination of "bad" and "humorless" is what really sunk its potential

    The "disappearing" pencil had me laughing my ass off.

    If you're making a movie where Batman fights the Joker, you pretty much have to have some jokes in there. They can be pitch-black jokes that might make you shudder with revulsion as you also laugh, but they still need to be in the movie. Of course, watch Zack Snyder, or whatever gargoyles WB hires to write/direct their solo Batman movie, prove us wrong.

  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Marvel apparently trademarked the name "Mosaic" for use in comics, alongside a bunch of no brainers like Old Man Logan and Howling Commandos.

    Also "Tales of Suspense" for a digital comic.

    Tales of Suspense is my most anticipated JRPG of the year.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh, and fun fact! WB's other big movies this year, the ones that have to make a ton of money to make up for BvS underperforming?

    Tarzan and Suicide Squad

    Suicide Squad is a real toss-up, but Tarzan? Not a chance in hell that's breaking any box office records

    I sincerely wonder what Warner Bros. does come next year

    I guess I don't get the claim that Tarzan is inherently unable to break box office records. Is it based on anything in particular?
    Well

    Tarzan

    Like, it might be a good movie and do well but chances of it being a smash hit that demolishes records are...

    Slim.

    I'm gonna make the bold prediction that today's audiences don't give a single flaming shit about Tarzan.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Disney's Tarzan was pretty good

    But i doubt this version will have sick tree surfing sooooooooooo

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    However it will have music by the hit band Creed

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, BvS being bad didn't sink it.

    BvS being utterly grim and humorless for 2.5 hours did.

    Yeah. Again, even Nolan's Bat-films had a bunch of little moments of levity

    I think you could do completely humorless and have people come back to it? But the movie would have to be, y'know

    Good

    The combination of "bad" and "humorless" is what really sunk its potential

    The "disappearing" pencil had me laughing my ass off.

    If you're making a movie where Batman fights the Joker, you pretty much have to have some jokes in there. They can be pitch-black jokes that might make you shudder with revulsion as you also laugh, but they still need to be in the movie. Of course, watch Zack Snyder, or whatever gargoyles WB hires to write/direct their solo Batman movie, prove us wrong.

    I thought Affleck had dibs on writing/directing his Batman movie

  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    SimBen wrote: »
    Remember when Ming-Na Wen fought Lingerie Ming-Na Wen?

    Pepperidge Farm remembers.

    And Baskin Robbins always find out, perv.

    iguanacus on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    No thank you, I am good.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, I really don't like giving DC my money

    On the other hand, Doom Patrol

    Hm

  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    No thank you, I am good.

    Come on Blank this doesn't appeal to you?
    Ennis has said that the series would "out-Preacher Preacher", presumably referring to the extreme violence and sexuality that were that series' hallmark.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    No thank you, I am good.

    Come on Blank this doesn't appeal to you?
    Ennis has said that the series would "out-Preacher Preacher", presumably referring to the extreme violence and sexuality that were that series' hallmark.

    Man, if you asked me to wipe out all of Ennis's bibliography the only thing that would give me pause would be Hellblazer, and getting rid of Crossed might make it worth it.

  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    "young animals" is a weird name for a line of books

  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    "young animals" is a weird name for a line of books

    Way is literally Grant Morrison's apprentice, so weirdness is kind of assumed.

  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I want to be excited about the Young Animals news. But it kinda sounds a lot like a lot of the Vertigo pushes that have tried and failed in the last decade.

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Way is a better Morrison than Morrison for my money

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    "young animals" is a weird name for a line of books

    Way is literally Grant Morrison's apprentice, so weirdness is kind of assumed.

    Also very consistent with how he names albums/songs.

    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I want to be excited about the Young Animals news. But it kinda sounds a lot like a lot of the Vertigo pushes that have tried and failed in the last decade.
    I would be a lot less excited if Gerard Way wasn't involved

    I am not sure It will be a huge success but his coming back to comics and doing so by overseeing a whole imprint is very exciting

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Ales Kot is super Morrison-like as well.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    No thank you, I am good.

    Come on Blank this doesn't appeal to you?
    Ennis has said that the series would "out-Preacher Preacher", presumably referring to the extreme violence and sexuality that were that series' hallmark.

    Man, if you asked me to wipe out all of Ennis's bibliography the only thing that would give me pause would be Hellblazer, and getting rid of Crossed might make it worth it.
    Hitman #34

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    I want to be excited about the Young Animals news. But it kinda sounds a lot like a lot of the Vertigo pushes that have tried and failed in the last decade.
    I would be a lot less excited if Gerard Way wasn't involved

    I am not sure It will be a huge success but his coming back to comics and doing so by overseeing a whole imprint is very exciting

    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm always game for more Way written comics. It's just. I dunno. I don't see audiences biting at this the way DC wants them too. Hope I'm wrong though.

    Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Way is a better Morrison than Morrison for my money

    Way has never written anything as transcendent as Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Way is a better Morrison than Morrison for my money

    Way has never written anything as transcendent as Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
    I do not like Flex Mentallo very much, personally

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Ales Kot is super Morrison-like as well.

    Ales Kot is like a more pretentious and less talented Morrison

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Way has the fun insane bullshit of Morrison but without the self indulgent metanarrative stuff he constantly comes back to that drives me off.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Way is a better Morrison than Morrison for my money

    Way has never written anything as transcendent as Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
    I do not like Flex Mentallo very much, personally

    but Blank

    he's the Hero of the Beach

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Way is a better Morrison than Morrison for my money

    Way has never written anything as transcendent as Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
    I do not like Flex Mentallo very much, personally

    but Blank

    he's the Hero of the Beach
    Once I set a towel down on the beach on top of a fire ant hill

    Fuck the beach

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man I really need to read Seaguy and The Filth and Doom Patrol someday

    I have a feeling I would love them

  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, BvS being bad didn't sink it.

    BvS being utterly grim and humorless for 2.5 hours did.

    Yeah. Again, even Nolan's Bat-films had a bunch of little moments of levity

    I think you could do completely humorless and have people come back to it? But the movie would have to be, y'know

    Good

    The combination of "bad" and "humorless" is what really sunk its potential

    The "disappearing" pencil had me laughing my ass off.

    I went to see the Dark Knight multiple times, and this always got a reaction

    Hell, I saw Dark Knight Rises twice, and there's moments in that movie that got audiences laughing, even cheering and applauding at one point!

    I don't think anyone's applauded during a DC movie since

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Flex Mentallo is fuckin rad af.

    Seaguy is fuckin rad af.

    The Filth is fuckin...I uh.. it's fuckin something?

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    WB might be forced to change course by their shareholders. They haven't exactly been doing too well recently. They released several big flops last year, like Jupiter Ascending, Pan, and In the Heart of the Sea. Even some of their well reviewed films, like Black Mass and Fury Road, didn't make that much money. In fact, last year, WB's films made less money than Bueno Vista/Disney and Universal films despite the fact that WB put out as many movies as those two studios combined.

    ...wow

    When you put it like that, that sounds, like

    MGM levels of trouble

    I mean I'm sure it's not, because they're also a subsidiary of Time Warner, right? But that sure doesn't sound good

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    WB ruined the Hobbit. Let them burn.
    hyperbole of course. but those movies were garbo

    Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    WB ruined the Hobbit. Let them burn.

    Oh god the fuckin' Hobbit

    Man they've been putting out underperforming movies for a while, huh

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Honestly, yeah. The Hobbit is more or less the poster child of what kind of problems WB has with franchises.

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbiQhAF-X3Y

    Sharon Carter gets a fight scene!

This discussion has been closed.