As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

• Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    greeble wrote: »
    Timmer wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    It should not take 60 to kill a guy
    I agree -- it shouldn't! ;)

Let me know when you get to that on Hard. It could be my lack of skills but still felt weird (compared to the rest of the game which is spot on.

Ahh you were talking about hard... it could very well take that many, I haven't gotten there yet.

Oh god... near the end:
    The game really freaking took a turn for the creepy D:
    Yeah it did. Some nice twists and turns. Nothing earth-shattering but perfectly suited for the plot -- very Indiana Jonesish -- but that one area with the lights out in the hallways having limited ammo to get through all the "spaniards" ... *shudders*

Timmer on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The combat in this game makes me want to rip my controller in half. It's the worst fucking part of this game. Everything else is great. Enemies take a dozen shots just to take down, unless you aim for the head; and since ammo is so scarce, while enemies have infinite ammo, you spend the whole time trying to get those headshots. At least give me another fucking clip of ammo. Christ.

And then when you kill a guy, you can expect two more to come out, and have this repeat for at least four times before it's all over.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    The combat in this game makes me want to rip my controller in half. It's the worst fucking part of this game. Everything else is great. Enemies take a dozen shots just to take down, unless you aim for the head; and since ammo is so scarce, while enemies have infinite ammo, you spend the whole time trying to get those headshots. At least give me another fucking clip of ammo. Christ.

And then when you kill a guy, you can expect two more to come out, and have this repeat for at least four times before it's all over.

Are you playing on Hard, because I just beat the game on Normal and I never once had to worry about ammo supply. There was always plenty. If you are playing on Hard, I don't think you can really complain, as it's supposed to be...uh...hard?

Also, I just beat the game at 9 hours and 1 minute. That's a pretty good length I'd say.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

You must be doing it wrong. Fire automatic weapons in bursts, aim for heads if the enemy fire itsn't too much. Move to different cover positions pick up ammo from dropped enemies (there is also lots of ak47 and stuff pre littered) Try some melee. If you get a shotgun try some run and gun (it auto aims a bit), one shot kils anywhere if you are close enough. Don't be afraid to get hit some, just run and hide a bit, health regen's fast.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Even on hard, enemies only take three bullets with the hand gun to kill or one head shot. If you get the magnum or some other guns it's a single body shot to take them down. The AK-47 is weird in that I think 90% of the bullets won't hit if you just unload; gotta do it in short bursts. I think some baddies at the end take an extra hit to kill, too.

Either way, hope you figure out the combat. It's pretty much the core of the game and, personally, I think it's the best action combat I've played in a game in years.

Timmer on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm really excited, my friend got a month free of gamefly, he doesn't own a PS3, but since I do, he rented all the PS3 titles he could. He got Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and Lair... all games I think worth a rental, Uncharted I was planning on picking up after this next pay check, but if he rents it and we beat it, I might have to have that money go towards the Orange Box... but I still can't wait to play Uncharted... and HS/Lair :p

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All about the pistol.
    All about the running to a vertical cover spot shooting - running to a low laying part shooting - jump over pick up clip and move forward one more time.

Well... I died ALOT at the part I was just on and had to drop the difficulty some - but generally that works.

The best gun is the automatic 9mm gun but it drinks ammo bad when I use it .

I love the combat in this game to the point I wish as a bonus you could unlock a smashTV old school shooting mini-game where you just go and go against enemies. I also love the jeep sequence. I wish there was more of that in the game (I Haven't beat it yet since I left the ps3 behind this holiday)

useless4 on
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I agree.
    A "survival" mode would've been awesome.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

i haven't played the full game yet, but from the demo it seemed like the enemies regenerate health. remember, you can't have your cake and eat it too - if you pop off a couple of shots on a guy and hide until you're back to a full bar, i'm sure you can expect the enemies to have done the same. best tactic is to make sure you finish them off in one go - bam bam bam.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The best way I can think to describe this game is like, Gears+Resident Evil+Tomb Raider+Indiana Jones+The Mummy

I'm trying to see if I can streamline that for people when I tell them to buy it

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ...If you get a shotgun try some run and gun (it auto aims a bit), one shot kils anywhere if you are close enough. Don't be afraid to get hit some, just run and hide a bit, health regen's fast.

All weapons are effective when you're in close enough, and if a quick spray doesn't take care of him, follow up with the square button. This'll get you your steel fists medals.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I dunno, has anybody been able to melee the
    zombie dudes near the end

They always seem to knock me right off

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »

Nope. They'll own you every time.

If you haven't done any run'n'gunning by the time the
    Nazi Gollums, or are they Spanish? I wasn't clear on that
    show up you'll get a crash course in it.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »

I don't think you can. I tried a few times and failed, too.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm set on a PS3 now for Christmas and I'm DEFINITELY picking up this game.

That's about it really. Sorry for this rather pointless little post.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

You won't be disappointed :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Not pointless at all. You'll have fun -- enjoy! :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    MynzeyesMynzeyes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

This game is the reason that I finally broke down and got a PS3 a few weeks ago. The others in my collection (Heavenly Sword, Motor Storm, Ratchet and Clank Future, Resistance) have just been distractions until I finally picked up this gem last night. 2.5hrs of gaming later, and the PS3 has stolen the spotlight from the 360 for a while.

This game is pure sex, in video game form.

Mynzeyes on
    PSN - Mynzeyes
    XBL - Mynzeyes
    mynzeyes.png
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can't believe how addicted I am to this game. I've gone back and gathered every treasure, and now I'm playing through on crushing and trying to unlock all the medals... it's rare that I ever go back and get all the collectables for a game, but with this one I'm completely hooked for some reason. I guess that really is a testament to how well done the game is.

geestack on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    so my copy arrived today! i've played up until chapter 5 then stopped because... i want it to last forever

it's not only the best looking game i've ever played, but it's also by far the most cinematic

everything is scripted perfectly, beautifully.

and the treasures are gorgeous. i want one for my bookcase

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rotating statue puzzle....what the fuck?

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Rotating statue puzzle....what the fuck?
    Just rotate the statues to face the directions indicated in Drakes diary while looking at the compass points on the floor in the center.I had to look real hard cause I'm playing on a 19" SD TV and the compass was hard to make out.

I've started on Hard and the difference is the enemies definitely do more damage and are more aggressive in flanking you.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone else had problems with this game locking up their PS3?

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

no, but have you left the information board on and/or not upgraded to firmware 2.01? apparently these have been causing problems with other games

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »

no, but have you left the information board on and/or not upgraded to firmware 2.01? apparently these have been causing problems with other games

Uncharted locked up once on me, and I'm fully upgraded.

I just beat it, good game and a great ending. I hope it sells well enough for a sequel.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It locked up once for me, but I think that's a known bug. If you're climbing those cliffs at one particular point and fall off at one particular point, it's loading the next chapter, and so it'll lock up if you fall. But, you start at the next chapter when you restart the game. It confused the hell out of me at first until I read a post somewhere else with the same thing.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    *Edit* I do have 2.01.

So now I can't even play the game at all. when I hit "continue" I get the Spinning Spanish Dubloon of Death. Seriously that thing has been going for close to 15 minutes now. The only way out of it is to Quit Game, at which point the PS3 will eventually reset itself rather than quitting the game.

The game was working fine on Monday, problems started yesterday, now it's useless. I'm cheesed. It was such an awesome game too.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It locked up once for me, but I think that's a known bug. If you're climbing those cliffs at one particular point and fall off at one particular point, it's loading the next chapter, and so it'll lock up if you fall. But, you start at the next chapter when you restart the game. It confused the hell out of me at first until I read a post somewhere else with the same thing.

Oh man that happened to me! Yay!

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I beat this game yesterday, and really did love it.

But there is one, huge, glaring, obvious part that I hated. Just HATED.
    WHAT THE FUCK is with these zombies/cursed motherfuckers? We go through 90% of the game, all tense shootouts with regular guys, and all the sudden there are zombie mutants. I got so fucking pissed when I saw them, especially in the bunker. I had to fundamentally change my playstyle (I usually went shoot-shoot-shoot-MELEE ASSHOLES). And they were poorly explained. A curse? A fucking curse that wasn't brought up at all earlier? Gah. It's like FarCry all over again.

...but I digress. Kind of. That really sucked. Not enough for me to not recommend the hell out of this to any gamer, but fuck. That was stupid.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I beat this game yesterday, and really did love it.

But there is one, huge, glaring, obvious part that I hated. Just HATED.
    WHAT THE FUCK is with these zombies/cursed motherfuckers? We go through 90% of the game, all tense shootouts with regular guys, and all the sudden there are zombie mutants. I got so fucking pissed when I saw them, especially in the bunker. I had to fundamentally change my playstyle (I usually went shoot-shoot-shoot-MELEE ASSHOLES). And they were poorly explained. A curse? A fucking curse that wasn't brought up at all earlier? Gah. It's like FarCry all over again.

...but I digress. Kind of. That really sucked. Not enough for me to not recommend the hell out of this to any gamer, but fuck. That was stupid.

Ouch
    I didn't have that reaction at all. While I just get freaked out easily and so didn't like that aspect, I still found them making sense and definitely felt it added a neat bit of twist to the game. I mean, this is something that fits right into Raiders of the Lost Ark and all that stuff. I enjoyed that you had to play a bit different and it was only for a short bit of the game. But even if you disagree, glad you still loved the game -- it deserves love! :)

@ MuttonChops: Hope you figure that out -- that sucks! I haven't had any issues with the game myself so can't be of help there but just offering you moral support ;)

Timmer on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hah...I probably overreacted. But all I know is that when I had to fight those things en masse, I was getting really pissed off.

I dunno. I held my suspension of disbelief to the level the game was giving me ("regular guy" can do crazy jumps/soak bullets like a sponge + ridiculous puzzles), but that REALLY comes out of nowhere.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Before reading this, this was only about the 8th or so game on the list of games I want.

Now it's 3rd. Right after Folklore (I wanted to fap all over it when I played the demo) and the Final Fantasy Tactics Remake (I never got to play the original ;_;).

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I should be getting this some time next week, I cannot fucking wait! Damn you linear time!!

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    what a great game
    i liked the twist. i think it could have done with a bigger reaction from drake, the supernatural stuff didn't really phase him - but where it was situated in the game was perfect. nazi scientists experimenting with cursed inca mummies to (bit of interpretive license here) create doomsday weapons? awesome. and navarro from nowhere at the end - really well done. the plot twists were handled really well because they made sense and didn't feel cheap.

and the change-up of gameplay with the zombie sections was awesome too. it makes you realise that it's a great engine and how full of potential it is for a franchise. a lot could be done to stop it from getting boring. and there's so much they could do with the stories...

so, what's next? egypt? atlantis? i'd love to see the bond-ish elements hammed up and see some big city environments... oh man, eastern europe - drake does transylvania?

i fucking can't wait. well done

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    what a great game
    ... and navarro from nowhere at the end - really well done. the plot twists were handled really well because they made sense and didn't feel cheap.
    I definitely agree about his twist. That felt something right out of hollywood and unexpected for a game. It's those plot and character pieces that made the game feel like one of the few games I've ever played that truly cared about creating good characters and had the writing talent to back it up. Amazing work. Mucho kudos to their writing team!

Where next?
    As long as they don't go to some slave-run temple underneath some Indian palace, I don't really care! ;)

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Drake is definitely my new favorite character in these type of games. He felt so much more believable and I loved his one-liners, and the story was interesting. I'll definitely take him over Lara Croft and Tomb Raider games.

I hope it becomes a series. However, with how it's selling, who knows? Weren't this and Ratchet selling incredibly poorly? It's a shame, considering how good they are, and kind of hurts the chances of sequels. Naughty Dog and Insomniac have been around a long time, though, so I don't it's entirely the end.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    considering it's been officially out for less than a week and the only sales numbers we've got were for something like three unofficial days, it's probably a bit early to say how well it will sell

but i really hope it does well, because it's an experience too good to be missed by the mainstream

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I worried that this game will go unnoticed due to all the hype Mass Effect had. (Notice PA did 3 strips on ME and now are doing 2 on Facebook, not even a mention of Uncharted) I bet if this was a Xbox360 game we'd be up to 30 pages now. :( I really hope this sells enough for a proper sequel.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm playing through on Hard now, and some of these parts get pretty tough, though I was surprised some parts I had a hard time with the first time through were now rather easy.

As for the story:
    I liked it. I think they did the twist right, in that they had clues for it the whole way through. If it had been out of left field, then I wouldn't have liked it, but if you think about it, they kind of had clues for it way back in the German sub. I also liked the gameplay change, because it helped vary things a bit.

I really do hope they continue the series and are able to keep this level of storytelling. I think something like finding Atlantis or something could fit very well with this. I look forward to sequels. I think the game'll sell at least reasonably well enough for a sequel. I mean, someone posted that it sold 50,000 or so in its first two unadvertised days. I'd say that's pretty decent for a brand new IP.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Did Nathan Drake remind anyone of Nathan Fillion/Mal Reynalds? :P

Dashui on