Options

God Hand is an ok game. Talk about it if you must.

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
The problem with God Hand is that it's just a game about punching people.

The genius, of God Hand, is that it's just a game about punching people.

932558_20061006_screen006.jpg

What is God Hand? God Hand is the last game made by Clover Studios before they shut down. I blame myself partly for this. Why? Because I didn't buy God Hand until about 3 weeks ago. This was an awful mistake because God Hand is the best game ever made in the history of games. If you have a PS2 and you have $20, then you must buy this game. If you don't have a PS2 then you should go buy one because unfortunately for you non-PS2 owners, this game is a PS2 exclusive.

In God Hand you control Gene, a man who has been given the power of God. In his hand. You use this hand to beat the absolute shit out of demons and thugs who are trying to rule the world. Am I serious when I say you can One Inch Punch people in the crotch all the way across the field? Yes, I am. Am I serious when I say you can Shaolin Blast someone with a gigantic fist made of energy? You better believe it. Is there a big demon monk guy who speaks spanish and is named Elvis? There sure is. But there's more than just that.

It has Chihuahua Races!

932558_20061006_screen004.jpg

You can hit people with a bat into the SKY!

932558_20060923_screen011.jpg

You can beat up these guys!

932558_20060923_screen007.jpg

You can make the difficult choice of whether or not to use God Stomp or La Bomba!

932558_20060923_screen002.jpg

You can kick people in the balls!

932558_20060715_screen002.jpg

Note: The Ball Buster does not work on female enemies or select males.

You want MORE? You cannot handle everything this game has to offer. I shall tell you a mere sampling of what this game has to offer you though. You have women you spank into submission. Gorillas in wrestling outfits. Clowns that you knee in the face repeatedly. Robots that kamikaze you. Spells that turn you into a chihuahua. Poison Chihuahua's. Demons that look remarkably like regenerators from Resident Evil 4 but instead of sniping them you kick the shit out of them, and so much more!

There's one more thing you should know about God Hand. This game is blisteringly difficult. You will most likely die up to 15 times in the first set of stages. However this is not God Hand's fault. It is your fault. It is your fault for not playing the game with the finesse it requires. However in time, you shall learn the tricks of the trade. You will see enemies that killed you with ease earlier on and scoff at them because now you can defeat them without a scratch. You will be able to defeat demons with but one poke of your finger. All you must do is stay calm, cool, and collected. That is the way to victory.

932558_20060414_screen006.jpg

If you are still unsure about whether or not to get this game, watch this trailer.

GOD HAND

After that, watch this VideoGaiden Review that explains this game in a way that I never could because I don't have a foreign accent.

REVIEW OF THE GODS

Now for the sake of fairness, here is the absolutely awful review by IGN who should be ashamed that they allowed such a review to be written. Do not trust this review, it is the worst review ever made. Keep in mind, no screenshot in the review is from after Stage 1. Here. It hurts me just looking at the url.

This game can be found used at most video game stores. This is because mortals that weren't ready for God Hand returned the game. This works for you though because the game goes for less than $20. To pass up on such an offer would be foolish. So go buy this game right now and become frustrated at your own inability to play it. But then come back here. Ask for help. You will get the guidance you seek and go back to the game a better fighter. A fighter with knowledge. The knowledge to kick ass.

This is a topic where we can discuss how amazing this game is and laugh at those who do not understand it. I know you are out there, fans of God Hand. Let us talk about this forgotten treasure of a game. Let us talk about it forever.

Edit: As per request of Bursar and the general consensus of many people, myself included, I must mention that the soundtrack for this game is incredibly awesome. The music is done by Masafumi Takada, also known as the guy who did the music for a little game called No More Heroes. For those of you that have played NMH, imagine over 20 songs just as awesome, if not more, playing while you do all of the aforementioned ass kicking. Has your mind exploded yet? Because it should've. I know mine did.

Gilder on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with God Hand is that it's just a game about punching people.

The genius, of God Hand, is that it's just a game about punching people.

edit: :^: gj, adding it to op

slash000 on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know why I didn't make those the first lines of this topic. I linked to the review and everything. This problem shall be resolved!

Gilder on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God. I can't remember what stage it was, but it was a room that had a whole bunch of electric cage matches. I was replaying through the game trying to do a no-continue run, and, being on Level Die, that room had a goddamn level 4 blue spike fucker demon pop up. So of course it took me probably an hour and a half, and it was the worst day of my life.

And my friend watching me saying "Man, you suck." every time I died didn't help either.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But the question remains, did you beat that level? Did you show that demon that there is no messing with Gene because if you do, you will simply get punched in the stomach about 25 times in rapid succession?

Gilder on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    That's the hardest (or second-hardest) level in the game on level DIE, so it's not surprising you got spanked so hard.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    But the question remains, did you beat that level? Did you show that demon that there is no messing with Gene because if you do, you will simply get punched in the stomach about 25 times in rapid succession?

Oh you bet your ass I did. By the end of that ordeal, I was dodging and punching shit like the fist of the fucking northstar

Getting lucky with item drops helped too8-)

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aren't the VideoGaiden guys Scottish and not British

Also: I love the soundtrack for God Hand so fucking much

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They might be, I really don't know. Just to be safe, I'll change the word british to foreign. I'm so ignorant.

Also I'm pretty sure the guy who did the soundtrack for this game did the soundtrack for No More Heroes. It has the same style in a lot of sections. And that style is awesome.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, if I were to obtain this game...would I be able to punch a demon, nay, many demons in the face?

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God Hand 2 for PS3 or bust

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MENTION THE SOUNDTRACK IN THE OP. Well, okay, the first video does have two of my three favorite songs from the game, so I can forgive you.

It is pure awesome. It's by Masafumi Takada, the same guy who did the soundtrack for No More Heroes.

Edit: Well, never mind then, if you're just going to post that information while I'm still composing this post. Be that way.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, if I were to obtain this game...would I be able to punch a demon, nay, many demons in the face?

Make no mistake

They will punch you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DRAGON KICK YOUR ASS INTO THE MILKY-WAY

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Make no mistake

They will punch you

This is a travesty, and shall not go unpunished.

No demon punches me anywhere.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Post the IGN review Gilder. It's a law of any GH thread. You have to. People need to know.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A new God Hand thread gets made every few months, and every time that happens a few more people buy the game.

Eventually we'll have all of G&T playing God Hand.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This thread reminds me that while I've played GH many times I still don't own it, instead I mooched it off of a buddy for quite some time. I should probably try and find it again next time I have some spare dough.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This thread reminds me that while I've played GH many times I still don't own it, instead I mooched it off of a buddy for quite some time. I should probably try and find it again next time I have some spare dough.

Yeah right, you're like the guy who stays the night, then says, "Yeah, I'll call you for sure!", but then you never call me.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think I even beat the first level, and I still love it more than 90% of games I've played.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Post the IGN review Gilder. It's a law of any GH thread. You have to. People need to know.

That review is not a review. It is a travesty upon all mankind. However for those who are interested in it, here you go. Something to note, none of the screenshots in the review are from levels after stage 1.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That review is not a review. It is a travesty upon all mankind. However for those who are interested in it, here you go.

It's the perfect counterbalance to the VG review. Good and Evil personified if you will.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    IGN.com wrote:
    It's somewhat apparent that God Hand was meant to be a joke on many levels, much as a film director might intentionally make a B-movie. The game practically encourages button mashing, enemies are extremely generic, the level layout is very uninspired, the dialog and jokes are poorly written and delivered, and most of all, much of the control and gameplay mechanics are so old-school it hurts.

....AAAND????

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    wait a minute gilder

YOU'RE NOT ALEXANDER

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    IGN.com wrote:
    It's somewhat apparent that God Hand was meant to be a joke on many levels, much as a film director might intentionally make a B-movie. The game practically encourages button mashing, enemies are extremely generic, the level layout is very uninspired, the dialog and jokes are poorly written and delivered, and most of all, much of the control and gameplay mechanics are so old-school it hurts.

....AAAND????

I knew this review was going to be legendary when I read the beginning.

God Hand Review
    Clover Studio delivers its oddest game yet, but unfortunately the joke's on us.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    exist wrote: »
    wait a minute gilder

YOU'RE NOT ALEXANDER

The hell I'm not. I beat Death Shudder! My defenses are impregnable!

Gilder on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I finally found God Hand a few weeks ago and bought it, and while it's cool, it's near unplayable thanks to how shitty PS2 games look on an HDTV.

:(

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I finally found God Hand a few weeks ago and bought it, and while it's cool, it's near unplayable thanks to how shitty PS2 games look on an HDTV.

:(

*PUNCHES YOU IN THE FUCKING FACE*

Oh wait, wrong guy.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Aren't the VideoGaiden guys Scottish and not British

Also: I love the soundtrack for God Hand so fucking much
    Scottish = British. Scotland is one of the 4 nations that composes Great Britain (even if Scotland and Wales are arguably more politically distinct from England than ever before). Pet peeve of mine that people use 'British' to equal English.

Oh yeah - and God Hand's superb, obviously. And the more threads like this we get popping up on the front page, the more exposure it gets - and it needs as much as it can get! Only thing that really put me off were the seemingly random difficulty spikes (like the first level, which must have put so many people off, and the first Elvis fight), and the disconcerting way that buildings popped in and out of existence.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I need this game.

Dominatrix spanking.

Dominatrix spanking.

Really, that's all anybody needs to know.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The best part about that move is that it applies to all the female enemies. One or two of the bosses are female. Somehow, using that move to defeat a boss is strangely satisfying. It's also quite erotic.

Gilder on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They might be, I really don't know. Just to be safe, I'll change the word british to foreign. I'm so ignorant.

You're both ignorant.

Scotland is part of Britain.:lol:

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    See, that's exactly why I never try to second-guess myself. I'm always right the first time. Then someone else comes in and I doubt my knowledge, even though I was clearly correct.

Gilder on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So yeah, I got this recently too, due to many peoples' rave reviews-ish, mainly around here. And guess what? I got to punch people. In the face. Unfortunately I'm not very far into it yet due to me being busy with other things. But soon, soon the punching will commence with much magnificence.

Gilder, tell Shady to get it because last time I checked he doesn't have it.

Schide on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I rented this last year, got 3/4 of the way through, and lost interest due to my gaming ennui at the time. Now reading about it again and watching some amazing players go through the levels means I'm going to buy it tomorrow and master it as if it's Ninja Gaiden fucking Black. Only punching people. A lot of people.

A fucking lot of people.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God Hand is way more fun than Ninja Gaiden Black.

Both games are tough, but God Hand is a different, much more tolerable kind of tough.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I still can't figure out which Clover Beat 'em Up I prefer.

I mean there is this game, with it's obvious merits.

Then there's the original Viewtiful Joe which is just about everything you'd ever want from a 2D Beat 'em up.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game is so addictive I had to ban myself from it until the uni semester is over because I could not stop once I started.

I just couldn't stop.

I had to keep punching people. So many people.

This is a great op, finally one that really does the game justice.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God Hand is the best thing.

Really, what more do you need?

The OP needs a spoiler warninged link to the song.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Before I begin, I'd like to apologize to G&T...

I let that IGN review stop me from buying this game when it first came out.

I knew not what evil they had wrought!

Seriously, I need to get this. Any game reminiscent of early 90s brawlers = win.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dammit Gilder!

I told you I don't like tank controls.

DAMN YOU FOR MAKING ME BUY THIS GAME IN SPITE OF THAT.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328