As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - I'm Barack Obama and I APPROVE THIS ASS-KICKIN'

• Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Error wrote: »
    This game looks super exciting but I haven't heard great things about the PC port, control wise. So until that's fixed or I get a 360 controller I'll stick with Mercenaries 1.

...which reminds me, the 9 of Diamonds is a pain in the ass to take alive, I just can't manage it. Soon as I get close those FROG7 trucks run me down, and if I blow them up from afar I might get the Card in the explosion. Any advice?

(I didn't wanna start a whole thread about one question when there's a nice long one about the sequel, I hope nobody minds)

Steal an NK heli and winch the SCUD launcher's out of harms way?

They've got a couple of those anti-air tanks in the area. Apparently one method is to disguise myself in an NK truck, pull up right next to the Card, get out, subdue, get in, floor it, then call for extraction at my leisure. I suppose if I do it right and put the truck between the Card and the launchers I'd have a chance.

Hence why you use the NK heli.

Or did winching kill your disguise in 1?

Ohh, I see. Worth a try I suppose. Now all I need to do is FIND an NK heli.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Error wrote: »
    This game looks super exciting but I haven't heard great things about the PC port, control wise. So until that's fixed or I get a 360 controller I'll stick with Mercenaries 1.

...which reminds me, the 9 of Diamonds is a pain in the ass to take alive, I just can't manage it. Soon as I get close those FROG7 trucks run me down, and if I blow them up from afar I might get the Card in the explosion. Any advice?

(I didn't wanna start a whole thread about one question when there's a nice long one about the sequel, I hope nobody minds)

Steal an NK heli and winch the SCUD launcher's out of harms way?

They've got a couple of those anti-air tanks in the area. Apparently one method is to disguise myself in an NK truck, pull up right next to the Card, get out, subdue, get in, floor it, then call for extraction at my leisure. I suppose if I do it right and put the truck between the Card and the launchers I'd have a chance.

Hence why you use the NK heli.

Or did winching kill your disguise in 1?

Ohh, I see. Worth a try I suppose. Now all I need to do is FIND an NK heli.

I know one or two are unlockable for purchase at the Merchant of Menace.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, I just beat the game.
    Anyone else get a fucked up camera for the helicopter part? My camera was in the back of the gunner seat or something.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Still regarding Mercs 1, the Russian dialogue is great, if you play as Mattias and can read the subtitles.
    "GET ME A MONKEY!"

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really do miss the other factions yelling in their native languages in Mercs 1.

I had asked before, but it went unanswered, so I'll try it again. At what point is there a "point of no return" for doing missions for certain factions? I want to be sure not to cross that point until I've done all the missions/HVTs/whatever that could disappear, but I have no idea what disappears.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Battle for Caracas" is the last mission, I advise doing all yer shiznits before that.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Battle for Caracas" is the last mission, I advise doing all yer shiznits before that.

As in, everything? Do all the HVTs disappear from the factions?
    I captured all the HVTs and destroyed all the buildings for the Allies, but still have to capture a bunch for the Chinese. I intend to work for the Chinese, though, so if I do the Battle for Caracas for them, will the HVTs I'm looking for (which are mostly AN guys) disappear?

SteevL on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No they don't dissapear, they become inaccessible.
    It's kind of hard to explain why without spoiling it really, so here:
    depending on who you do the last mission for AN or China, their base gets nuked and a nuke zone appears, you can't get into there, out of sattelite range stuff, if there are buildings in there, you could probably manage to hit them from afar, but HVT's and spare parts are impossible to get.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    The more I play this game the more I love it, flaws and all. There's nothing like ordering artillery strikes, getting a tank dropped off and just blowing the fuck out of everything. No matter how cheesy the characters, I dig them. A drunk fighter jet pilot? A little irishmen as my personal servant? Metal-esque achievements? This is all around my kind of game, even if it was a little pricey. I'd recommend this to anyone.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    My Heli pilot dropped off a chopper, turn, ran into the pool behind my house and drowned.

Foo'

You know a game is good when you're blowing up several buildings, get clipped by a few rockets, have to bail out and your chopper flies into the building, finishing hte damage.

You know a game is bad when you spend 5 minutes flying across the map in a slow but armed chopper only to have it shot down in 2 missiles when you get there because its so slow.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sorry klyka, I've been out pretty much the whole day. can ye play now?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    depending on who you do the last mission for AN or China, their base gets nuked and a nuke zone appears, you can't get into there, out of sattelite range stuff, if there are buildings in there, you could probably manage to hit them from afar, but HVT's and spare parts are impossible to get.
    My nuke zone went away after a while.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My nuke zone went away after a while.
    Really?
    Mine disappeared from the map, but was still there when I went to get the spare parts

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'll be on in 5-10 minutes!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    I really do miss the other factions yelling in their native languages in Mercs 1.
    Totally!
    So, I just beat the game.
    Anyone else get a fucked up camera for the helicopter part? My camera was in the back of the gunner seat or something.
    No, but...
    I got this wierd-ass pop-eyes thing where Mattias' eyes - or rather, the mesh for the sunglasses he gets for the Jacket outfit where his eyes would be - swelled out of their sockets for about a second before returning to normal. Totally freaked me out when I saw it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

You coming on?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You coming on?

On now,sorry my dad needed help

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I just completed the Battle for Caracas on the Chinese side.

I go screaming off towards Solano's bunker, get there, and... hey, where's my nuclear bunker buster?

Seriously, I don't have it. I also checked in at the PMC and visited a Chinese store but they don't have any for sale.

Sooo... is the game bugged, or am I missing something?

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It should be in your deployment menu as "1 Free." if you scroll through using the d-pad and it isn't there, then you're bugged.

freakish light on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ... don't I feel silly. Thanks!

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, the mission for AN where you fly the UP helicopter through hoops ala Pilotwings? I just did it for the first time today and a huge grin came over my face when Flight of the Valkyries started playing. Oh man.

Bravo, Pandemic.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ya but then my grin faded as it kept looping over and over and over....

Error on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Made it more epic.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quick question; I just did the first attempt at taking out Solano's bunker, but I still can't access the Chinese or AN missions.

Is this a glitch, or is there something more I need to do?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, I guess I'll outline how it's supposed to go
    Fight through to Solano's bunker.
    Use the bunker buster.
    Get the message from Fiona.
    Hijack the gunship, race back to the PMC
    Blow up all the tanks, go inside
    Take down Carmona

After that you should get the cutscene.

freakish light on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Use the bunker buster.
    Take down Carmona

One more step after this lot - talk to Fiona about the Chinese and AN factions.

And dispite the loop, I didn't get tired of the flight of the valkeries before I finished level 3.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Use the bunker buster.
    Take down Carmona

And dispite the loop, I didn't get tired of the flight of the valkeries before I finished level 3.

Oh yeah, I always forget about those. The PMC icon should blink, though, which gives you that hint.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Use the bunker buster.
    Take down Carmona

Oh yeah, I always forget about those. The PMC icon should blink, though, which gives you that hint.

Oh yeah, I've done all the fighting stuff, I just haven't talked to Fiona. The reason I didn't was because it didn't appear in the list of things to do on the PMC faction menu.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, I was helping a friend out with that UP mission where you have to protect that one guy while he burns documents. On the second try, we made it all the way back to the UP base and for some reason our car exploded about a second before crossing into the yellow circle. Mission failed. After that, we tried it one more time but the tower got destroyed by those damn helicopters.

SteevL on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WHAT THE FUCK.
    I fought a hundred attack choppers to get back to the PMC after the bunker buster didn't work on Solano, (about an hour of work to get to that point) and it fucking crashes. Pretty sure I'm gonna hang it up for this game now, it just pissed me off too much.

emericana on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, I was helping a friend out with that UP mission where you have to protect that one guy while he burns documents. On the second try, we made it all the way back to the UP base and for some reason our car exploded about a second before crossing into the yellow circle. Mission failed. After that, we tried it one more time but the tower got destroyed by those damn helicopters.

I did that one with a friend.

We had at least one helicopter freak the fuck out while trying to hijack its ass. Down went the tower.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It wouldn't let me try to hijack any of the helicopters. I guess my friend hadn't unlocked the grappling hook yet, which means I couldn't use it either.

SteevL on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm playing this on PC with a wired 360 controller and the right joystick sensitivity feels really low. Any way I can fix this? The setting in the options menu only affects the left joy and I can't find any settings in its properties and what not.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It wouldn't let me try to hijack any of the helicopters. I guess my friend hadn't unlocked the grappling hook yet, which means I couldn't use it either.

You need to get the mechanic for the grappling hook, and the jet pilot. I'd go get her. Talk to your helicopter pilot.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You need to get the mechanic for the grappling hook, and the jet pilot. I'd go get her. Talk to your helicopter pilot.

Oh yeah, I've already done that. My friend apparently hadn't, and therefore I couldn't grapple the helicopter either.

Another "ugh" moment:

I was trying to capture the HVT for China that is located on an oil rig. I cleared out most of the rig but noticed there was a guy or two with an anti-air launcher, so I decided to take out that whole tower he was on. Unfortunately, this somehow caused the whole rig to collapse, killing the HVT. I guess I'll give it another shot now.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Watch out for explosives near those little fires. I put some C4 on there after Blanco and the entire rig came down.

freakish light on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm sure this has been said before, many times, but I just want to reiterate it.

The idea of using icons instead of keys for the action cut scenes was the STUPIDEST LAZIEST PIECE OF SHIT MOVE I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS from a game developer.

I spent 15 tries trying to hijack a tank trying to figure out what the fuck the "boot with little squiggly lines" meant before I alt tabbed and looked it up on the internet.

Fuck you, Pandemic.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone up for Xbox?

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been said before, many times, but I just want to reiterate it.

The idea of using icons instead of keys for the action cut scenes was the STUPIDEST LAZIEST PIECE OF SHIT MOVE I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS from a game developer.

I spent 15 tries trying to hijack a tank trying to figure out what the fuck the "boot with little squiggly lines" meant before I alt tabbed and looked it up on the internet.

Fuck you, Pandemic.

....what?

I get normal buttons.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    TekDragon wrote: »

Fuck you, Pandemic.

....what?

I get normal buttons.

He said keys, implying PC.

freakish light on