As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Radcula wrote: »
    El Guaco wrote: »
    So, Guy Ritchie is supposed to be directing a new Sherlock Holmes movie based on a graphic novel by Lionel Wigram. However, the best info I can find is that said novel is unpublished. Does anyone know any more info than that? Will the graphic novel come out soon or around the same time as the movie? Who is the publisher?

I'm curious and horrified that they might be ruining one my greatest literary heroes ever, or making him that much more awesome.

I have no idea about the graphic novel, but don't worry AT ALL el guaco:

Robert Downey Jr. is playing Sherlock Holmes, so. like. sherlock holmes isn't gonna be ruined.

As for the Depp/Hoffman rumors, I do believe they were debunked - but I really really like the idea of Hoffman as the Penguin. I think Depp would make a fantastic Riddler, but the character would seem probably too similar to the Joker? I mean, in the Nolan universe it just seems that any kind of Riddler would just be a knock-off of Ledger's Clown Prince. A cool, calculating Riddler isn't as scary, and a manic, dangerous and insane Riddler is too much like the Joker. However, if I were to think that any actor could put their own stamp and spin on the role and distance it from the Joker, it'd be Depp.

This is what I've been saying. Compared to the Joker, Riddler just isn't scary. Penguin's better but not much. This is why they need to use Bane. He's badass enough, if handled right, to dominate the film in the same way as Ledger's Joker but he's a completely different kind of villain - ruthless, calculating, implacable, damn near unstoppable. The only problem would be that most people who don't read the comics probably don't think of him as a that big a player in Batman's world. But then I guess most non comics fans probably had never heard of Ras or The Scarecrow before Begins, so I still think it could work.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What is the Batman story where the Riddler helps Batman out with his investigation? Dark Victory? They should use that take on the character. Make him definitely not a hero but also not quite a villain.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Malcom McDowell for Riddler! My new campaign.

Alternately, Onomatopoeia for the next villain!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked those fake posters with David Tennant as the Riddler.

Don't think he's a good enough actor for the franchise, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What is the Batman story where the Riddler helps Batman out with his investigation? Dark Victory? They should use that take on the character. Make him definitely not a hero but also not quite a villain.

That is what Paul Dini is doing with the Riddler in the current run of Detective Comics. He's become sort of a detective rival for Batman. Riddler is always trying to race him and solve the mystery first. It has made for some pretty interesting stories.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I only saw the Harley Quinn one. Were there others?

Tach on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    tennantriddler.jpg

This is the one I saw.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's awesome, I would actually really like to see David Tennant as the Riddler, it might just be because
    I'm a Doctor Who fanboy, but I think that he would be awesome and do a really good calculating but eccentric
    Riddler.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    Well, he wasn't very good as a villain in the fourth Harry Potter movie, at any rate.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    he was in the fourth harry potter movie?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    he was in the fourth harry potter movie?

He was that guy who was disguised as Mad-Eyed Moody. Barty Crouch?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Regarding the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes film, they announced a few days ago that Russell Crowe is going to play Professor Moriarty. Crowe showed he had some nice villain chops in "3:10 to Yuma," I'm pretty excited to see him as Holmes' nemesis. I wonder who they'll get for Watson.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Will Smith?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cuba G

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, he wasn't very good as a villain in the fourth Harry Potter movie, at any rate.
    I'm not sure you can really judge anyone's acting on their Harry Potter performance. The Harry Potter films make Maggie Smith look "kinda okay but nothing special"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can really judge anyone's acting on their Harry Potter performance. The Harry Potter films make Maggie Smith look "kinda okay but nothing special"

Yeah, the Harry Potter movies are like "The Bill" - any british actor who wants to can be in it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tach wrote: »

Has the Harley Quinn photoshopped poster been posted here? I want to show it to a friend, but I've been unable to locate it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »

Has the Harley Quinn photoshopped poster been posted here? I want to show it to a friend, but I've been unable to locate it.
    Is this what you're looking for?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/16092008/5/spider-man-star-money-spinner-0.html

Noooooooooooooooooooo. God damn't Sony, can his and Raimi's ass and reboot. $50 mil? Jesus. If he was a good actor I'd understand but...but hes just not.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Boo! Hopefully Dunst gets the boot at least, as much as I love her she's horrible in the Spidey films.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They're all horrible :(

Only Evil Harry+pie and Doc Ock are of any worth and he had them both killed.

EDIT: And Venom's brief moments of swinging about and beating the shit out of Spider-Man when he wasn't screeching repeatedly or not being evil and psychotic. Which was pretty much for his entire appearance.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    yeah, they should totally reboot a franchise that essentially prints money as is

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to bitch about the new Spiderman, then I'm going to go see it opening night.

I think I speak for the internet.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm coming to restate my "I like Maguire as Spidey."

and then follow that up with a fully serious want for The Tarantula to be in one of the movies.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Apparently, Marvel isn't being quite clear about sequels to much of anyone...

Didn't they do this with Favrau regarding Iron Man?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

To be fair, they seemed to have a lot of problems with Norton in post-production.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a CGI Hulk, sans Banner, in the Avengers movie. It'd probably be a good way to cut costs anyhow.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shame about Will Smith.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Second opinion on the GL script.

http://latinoreview.com/news/green-lantern-story-details-and-casting-update-5395

Still, really, really good.

Plus ALAN SCOTT

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Munch wrote: »

To be fair, they seemed to have a lot of problems with Norton in post-production.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a CGI Hulk, sans Banner, in the Avengers movie. It'd probably be a good way to cut costs anyhow.

they could rap it up by shooting hulk into space...

neatly leading into the world war hulk movie, right?

right?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I continue to be cautiously optimistic about Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. I'm liking what they're showing so far.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40083.html

Kyougu on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm just confused about the Wolverine presence.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It does seem so far that there is only black symbiote enemy, white symbiote enemy and soldier in red armour.

I can see it going 50/50 on whether its terrible or good.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Why? Luke Cage is there too, so they'll probably acknowledge the New Avengers connection.
    It does seem so far that there is only black symbiote enemy, white symbiote enemy and soldier in red armour.

I can see it going 50/50 on whether its terrible or good.

I'm pretty sure those combat clips were the ones we saw before.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Why are you confused? They explained in the video why he was there. This is a Spider-Man game, and its from his perspective, but its a pretty major event that affects the lives of much of the Marvel Universe. The fact that other heroes come out to try to stop it is not surprising at all. They showed Wolverine and Luke Cage in the clip, but they also made it sound like there will be more than just 2 cameos. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Daredevil, the Fantastic 4, and any other New York based heroes, at least in some small capacity.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You can see Iron Man in the most recent video as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    honestly who dosen't enjoy a good Wolverine/Spidey team up

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Why are you confused? They explained in the video why he was there. This is a Spider-Man game, and its from his perspective, but its a pretty major event that affects the lives of much of the Marvel Universe. The fact that other heroes come out to try to stop it is not surprising at all. They showed Wolverine and Luke Cage in the clip, but they also made it sound like there will be more than just 2 cameos. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Daredevil, the Fantastic 4, and any other New York based heroes, at least in some small capacity.

I'm not making any major comment here. I just...I don't know, it seems like an odd choice for a character to appear on the cover of the box. But it's not like I think that makes it bad.

mattharvest on
This discussion has been closed.