As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: We don't have "Jessie's Girl" ...yet

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    Hey, is it weird if I don't like live versions of songs?
    I mean, sure some of them are good, but most of the time it just doesn't feel the same because you aren't actually there.

Man, I agree with you there.

But honestly, I don't like the idea of concerts, either.

I mean, yeah, great for the people who would go to a concert, sure.

But I'm not going to pay outrageous prices to go to arena, be crowded by douchebags, and hear versions of songs that are typically not as good as the album versions I'm used to.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sent a friends request to Rock Band PA if someone could add me.

I'm going to be on in like 5 minutes drumming if anyone is playing that dosn't think I'm a giant douche. Or even if you do, and just want a drummer :)

Tommatt on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I mean, sure some of them are good, but most of the time it just doesn't feel the same because you aren't actually there.

But I'm not going to pay outrageous prices to go to arena, be crowded by douchebags, and hear versions of songs that are typically not as good as the album versions I'm used to.

Or pay 12 bucks to see a really good indie band in a great atmosphere.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That was some pretty fun rockin we just had, and after that I must say: Damn this game has some freaking hard songs. I also love that I'm not even really close to unlocking all the songs in my game. There are so many haven't really even gotten to yet.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just wish that concerts weren't so loud. It's bad for two reasons:

1 - it will permanently damage your hearing if you go to too many concerts. I mean, damn, I went to a concert last night and I can still feel the effect on my hearing tonight.
    2 - it's so loud that you can't even hear the music properly, you're just in sensory overload (which I guess is part of the point - you're supposed to *feel* it as well as hear it)

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

1 - it will permanently damage your hearing if you go to too many concerts. I mean, damn, I went to a concert last night and I can still feel the effect on my hearing tonight.
    2 - it's so loud that you can't even hear the music properly, you're just in sensory overload (which I guess is part of the point - you're supposed to *feel* it as well as hear it)

What I hate is when their mixing sucks, the venue's acoustics suck, and then they turn it up, too. So you're pretty much left with a huge distorted mess that hurts your ears for days. This is also why I don't like The Rave. The best concerts I've seen were the times I went to Porcupine Tree concerts at Park West. In that venue the songs sounded waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than on cd. It was insanely loud, but you could still pick out all the instruments, and boy did it sound crisp and great.

A lot of times I do like listening to CDs more than live, but sometimes something magical happens live and a band pulls out a way better version of a song. PT has a few that I really prefer live to studio, even though I love their studio stuff. It's also nice to get a more raw version of a song if the bands you like tend to do a lot in the studio. Not that doing that stuff is bad, it's just nice to hear it a different way once in a while.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haha, smug, you should go to a Low show, when the crowd gets too loud they start playing quieter and quieter.

Also, just bring a set of earplugs, people were wearing them pretty shamelessly at the Boris show I went to, they play so loud that you can hear fine with the plugs in.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

get some of those earplugs that reduce the noise but don't muffle it. I'm going to a concert tonight when them, I'll see how it goes.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It really depends on the band.
    For example, Alice Cooper live is way better than on the albums.
    Also, Rush can be, and Dream Theater often is, since they'll throw in extra stuff live.

Anyway, a friend of mine keeps saying they should have some Sons of Butcher songs as DLC. Depending on the song, I'm inclined to agree.
    Also, more Dream Theater, like Images and Words/Awake era stuff.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Anyway, a friend of mine keeps saying they should have some Sons of Butcher songs as DLC. Depending on the song, I'm inclined to agree.

DT from that era would be pretty darned fun, I must say. I'd welcome any songs from those albums.

I'm going to also use this post to reiterate that I want some Porcupine Tree in Rock Band. I'd give my left nut for this three pack:

Trains (Live version)
    Blackest Eyes
    Way Out of Here

You hear that Harmonix.. My left nut for those 3 songs in a pack.

Of course I could never play Gavin's part on drums... :(

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it ironic bringing ear plugs to a music performance? :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not if you like the ability to hear.

On a separate note, a friend of mine went to a Flaming Lips concert a while back and apparently, if I understood him correctly, they handed out headphones? That seems like a cool idea. Also, he said there was a crazy light and smoke show, and Captain America was there.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    On "Rob the Prez-O-Dent" I just love it on all instruments. It's tricky and very hard but not so much that it becomes a brick wall.

The guitar solo at the end is like 10 seconds long but so fucking hard. Also, it's catchy as hell and I'm now a big fan of GodForbid.

I may just be confused by your post, but is God Forbid in Rock Band? Or are they somehow related to That Handsome Devil? I didn't see anything about them being in RB, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But... that would be awesome.

Halibut on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I keep a pair of earplugs on my keychain and wear them at every show I go to. I think I'd be deaf by now if I didn't. If you go to concerts even reasonably frequently, it's a very smart idea to invest in some good earplugs.

elevature on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halibut wrote: »
    On "Rob the Prez-O-Dent" I just love it on all instruments. It's tricky and very hard but not so much that it becomes a brick wall.

The guitar solo at the end is like 10 seconds long but so fucking hard. Also, it's catchy as hell and I'm now a big fan of GodForbid.

I may just be confused by your post, but is God Forbid in Rock Band? Or are they somehow related to That Handsome Devil? I didn't see anything about them being in RB, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But... that would be awesome.

GodForbid = the singer
    That Handsome Devil = the whole band

http://www.myspace.com/thathandsomedevil

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not if you like the ability to hear.

On a separate note, a friend of mine went to a Flaming Lips concert a while back and apparently, if I understood him correctly, they handed out headphones? That seems like a cool idea. Also, he said there was a crazy light and smoke show, and Captain America was there.

The Flaming Lips are awesome. They came to my university and played a free concert. I heard about the head phones thing. They didn't do that for us but they did do the hamster ball thing. Easily one of the best concerts I ever been to.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    TrumbotTrumbot DJ On the one.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My Bloody Valentine, famously the loudest band live, also hands out ear plugs to all concert goers. Removing the ear plugs for a mere fraction of a second will cause you to snap your head back like you've got whiplash. That being said, you can definitely FEEL the music.

EDIT: on a more Rock Band related note, I'd like to thank this thread for recommending the Boston pack. I only recently got a 360 and Rock Band 2. I immediately purchased the Boston pack and have had my favorite Rock Band experience playing expert guitar and sight-reading "Something About You". Damn, those songs are just so rich with warm fun.

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

DT from that era would be pretty darned fun, I must say. I'd welcome any songs from those albums.

I'm going to also use this post to reiterate that I want some Porcupine Tree in Rock Band. I'd give my left nut for this three pack:

Trains (Live version)
    Blackest Eyes
    Way Out of Here

Porcupine Tree would indeed kick ass. I'd love to have Open Car as DLC, as well as a ton of their other stuff.
    Is it ironic bringing ear plugs to a music performance?
    Though I don't personally, my band's bass player and good friend of mine is always promoting it as a good idea.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know who I want in? Some

They

Might

Be

Giants

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well I mean I assumed that one was obvious.

Also, Turtle Sounds of America, though I don't have a link to that one.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

They don't muffle sound, they just reduce the volume so it doesn't damage your hearing.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

GodForbid = the singer

It's still just Godforbid...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Trains (Live version)
    Blackest Eyes
    Way Out of Here

THIS.

I would gladly participate in your sacrifice good sir!

And yes...those drums would be killer. If only...

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

GodForbid = the singer

It's still just Godforbid...

As the frontman, yes.

Proof.

Why would they call GodForbid the frontman of T.H.D. if GodForbid was the full band name?

EDIT: Also, the original "God Forbid" linked earlier isn't the same as That Handsome Devil's "Godforbid."

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One word. No capital letter 'f". Godforbid.

Then again, I once referenced an album called Fugazi and people wouldn't stop asking me if I liked the band Fugazi. So I doubt even getting a name right and explaining the context would change anything...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can someone outline the method believed to be the fastest way to unlock all the songs again? I had asked 30-40 pages back and I can't find it anymore. I'm annoyed constantly having to turn on the unlock all code, and then I can't get achievements or play online.

I've been playing the challenges under Tour, but it seems like there will be repeating songs and I'm not even sure what it's unlocking anyway.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Go to the tour challenges. Pick and complete the desired instrument challenge at the lowest level. This will unlock a 'Mini-Marathon' challenge in the next highest level. Each level has two Mini-Marathons. Do all of these for each difficulty tier in the Tour Challenge area and all on-disc songs will be unlocked.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I believe the shortest path through the tour challenges to be:

Local Upstart
    one of the instrument warmup sets (3 songs)

Underground Favorites
    one of the instrument apprentice sets (4 songs)

Opening Act
    one of the instrument solid sets (4 songs)
    90s Hits (4 songs)

Chart Toppers
    60s Hits (2 songs)

Headliner
    00s Hits (4 songs)

Legendary Acts
    70s Hits (4 songs)

Impossible Challenges
    80s Hits (4 songs)

Voilá: all songs unlocked by playing 29 out of 84 songs.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh god. I had borrowed RB2 from a friend and found it fun, but not fun enough for me to buy. Then I read the 20 DLC songs for free included Between the Buried and Me and Underoath, two of my favorite bands from the time I was first getting into music (about 8 years ago). This is now a must-buy for me and I will play those songs over and over and over and over till I can't even speak or move anymore.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Underoath is alright.

And by alright I mean Define the Great Line is their only good album.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Underoath is alright.

I like the new one too. But anything pre-Define I really don't think is very good. Hell, the band themselves claims they were never satisfied with They're Only Chasing Safety.

Now lets get some Norma Jean up in this game and I'll be one happy screamer.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Underoath is alright.

I like the new one too. But anything pre-Define I really don't think is very good. Hell, the band themselves claims they were never satisfied with They're Only Chasing Safety.

The Changing of Times is their best album. You guys all suck.

And Norma Jean has sucked since Josh left the band. They were better as Luti-Kriss.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Underoath is alright.

And Norma Jean has sucked since Josh left the band. They were better as Luti-Kriss.

Yet my favorite Norma Jean is Redeemer, and I think anything before Safety is generic metalhardcore for Underoath.

I realize this makes all the scene kids laugh at me. I don't care. I can't be one of those people that are always like 'they're early stuff is the best' because in the case of both bands, I think they've actually gotten better.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They have.

They were... alright when they were trying to be black metal, but I prefer them this way.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Underoath is alright.

Yet my favorite Norma Jean is Redeemer, and I think anything before Safety is generic metalhardcore for Underoath.

I realize this makes all the scene kids laugh at me. I don't care. I can't be one of those people that are always like 'they're early stuff is the best' because in the case of both bands, I think they've actually gotten better.

And I guess I was a little hard on Norma Jean. They don't suck these days, they're just not as good (or even really the same band, I think the drummer and one of the guitarists are original members) as they used to be in my opinion. However, they sound a lot like Botch, and they're awesome, so the more Botch the better, even if it goes by a different name.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It would be nice if more Botch didn't suck though. :P

Talking about Botch....

We need this in Rock band

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We need more songs from on-disk bands. Specifically, Talking Heads, The Replacements, and Sonic Youth.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    We certainly need more Pixies.

Surfa Rosa damnit!

More specifically Where is my mind???

Antihippy on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh, I am not a fan of Sonic Youth.

This could potentially be because it took me like 45 minutes to pass their song on drums because of the stupid fast high-hat roll sections. You could say it soured me on the band.....

quovadis13 on