As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: We don't have "Jessie's Girl" ...yet

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the ad is a travesty.

And dressing them all up in pink fratboy shirts?

I don't even know what they were going for.

Have you not seen the movie Risky Business? That's what they were going for...

Example

Now, what that had to do with the game? I'm stumped...

EDIT:
    Thinking about it, I guess they were trying to go for the 'pretend you're a rock star' and 'even celebrities want to pretend to be rock stars'.

It's still pretty awkward since that song's not in the game.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the ad is a travesty.

And dressing them all up in pink fratboy shirts?

I don't even know what they were going for.

Risky Business. Duh.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They did the exact same commercial for Guitar Hero 3 on American Idol. Except instead of athletes, it was both of the finalists.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fortunately I can't find a youtube for this, but there's this truly, TRULY annoying commercial for Safe Auto which consists of nothing but four goobers playing the Safe Auto song on an obviously fake Rock Band. Every time I see it I get a little more depressed.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Fortunately I can't find a youtube for this, but there's this truly, TRULY annoying commercial for Safe Auto which consists of nothing but four goobers playing the Safe Auto song on an obviously fake Rock Band. Every time I see it I get a little more depressed.

I saw that ad, or at least one with the same idea behind it.
    It was like "for fuck sake, at least pay to use the real RB/GH controllers". Yes, it would still be a very stupid ad, but it would be less soul crunching.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just found something very funny in the Rock Band Music Store.

"Complete Control" in the game is slightly edited in that they cut out "drugs" from the line "we're controlled by the price of the hard drugs we can find". Well, the little teaser in the Music Store for the track actually plays the unedited version that says "drugs".

Just thought that was funny.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The first time I saw that commercial I didn't even know what they were advertising.

glithert on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »

The first time I saw that commercial I didn't even know what they were advertising.

Haha, same here

At first I thought it was a Rock Band ad but the controllers didn't look right, so then I thought it was an ad for a cheap knock-off of Rock Band

Then I heard the jingle and was like "oh... well that's kind of dumb"
    Safe Auto Jingle for DLC

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We need Elton John DLC.
    That is all.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really liked the GH2 Billion Dollar Babies chart... for what that's worth RE: Alice Cooper. I would pay money to have it in RB2.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »
    We need Elton John DLC.
    That is all.

but

but

we don't have a keyboard peripheral.
    we need one

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It wouldn't be useful for enough songs to justify it, unless it was a standalone game.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    I really liked the GH2 Billion Dollar Babies chart... for what that's worth RE: Alice Cooper. I would pay money to have it in RB2.

I agree, BDB ranked right up there with Jessica as my favorite chart to play just for fun.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I spent some time this past week and today working on my Rock Band optimal path generator for guitar and bass. I actually have something usable now!

You can check out a demonstration path for More Than a Feeling here:

http://sites.google.com/site/smugducklingspaths/Home/paths

It's an html file, but Google sites won't let me upload HTML files, so it has no extension. Just open it in Firefox or whatever and it should work fine.

It's actually pretty close to being correct now. Comparing it to actual paths for More Than a Feeling, it looks like my program gives too little OD for whammy, but overall it seems like it just needs a little tweaking.

(Also, I know the output is kind of ugly and screen-stretching right now. It'll be like this until I have a better idea for displaying it.)

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I picked up a two cymbal set from Best Buy today. It sounds like this is unique, as most places online have them listed as either being online only or not yet released. (This would also explain why their price wasn't marked.)

The irony? I couldn't find a RB2 drumset anywhere to save my life. So, I have the cymbals, but I can't use them. I attached them to my RB1 set anyway just to see what I thought. I think I'm going to like them, but I won't be able to find out for sure until I find a wireless drum set.

Ballman on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh, hey. Look what I found!

Safe Auto

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Where'd I go just now...? D:

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I spent some time this past week and today working on my Rock Band optimal path generator for guitar and bass. I actually have something usable now!

You can check out a demonstration path for More Than a Feeling here:

http://sites.google.com/site/smugducklingspaths/Home/paths

It's an html file, but Google sites won't let me upload HTML files, so it has no extension. Just open it in Firefox or whatever and it should work fine.

It's actually pretty close to being correct now. Comparing it to actual paths for More Than a Feeling, it looks like my program gives too little OD for whammy, but overall it seems like it just needs a little tweaking.

(Also, I know the output is kind of ugly and screen-stretching right now. It'll be like this until I have a better idea for displaying it.)

I've increased whammy rate : use rate from a 1 : 1 ratio to a 9 : 8 ratio, and it seems to fit better with reality. I've updated the path on my site.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »
    We need Elton John DLC.
    That is all.

but

but

we don't have a keyboard peripheral.
    we need one

all i want is saturday night's alright (for fighting)

keyboard peripheral or not

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh GAWD...

That reminded me of the Rock Revolution commercial. Mainly in how they were all "Yeah! We did it! WOO!" at the end.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ballman wrote: »
    So I picked up a two cymbal set from Best Buy today. It sounds like this is unique, as most places online have them listed as either being online only or not yet released. (This would also explain why their price wasn't marked.)

The irony? I couldn't find a RB2 drumset anywhere to save my life. So, I have the cymbals, but I can't use them. I attached them to my RB1 set anyway just to see what I thought. I think I'm going to like them, but I won't be able to find out for sure until I find a wireless drum set.

I've seen third-party cymbal sets at Best Buy before the RB2 drum kits even shipped. Since they aren't the official ones, I have no idea how good quality they were. Don't know if they were the same kind you got, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ballman wrote: »

I've seen third-party cymbal sets at Best Buy before the RB2 drum kits even shipped. Since they aren't the official ones, I have no idea how good quality they were. Don't know if they were the same kind you got, though.

It's definitely this set:

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72840

MadCatz has been putting out a lot of "official" RB peripherals, though, so I don't know whether you can say these are "third party" or not. I just read an IGN review of some RB cymbals, and it seems they're talking about these. I was unaware of them, and didn't realize there was a set with three cymbals, otherwise I would have held out.

Ballman on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't think it was MadCatz brand.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    midgetspy (or anyone else) - if there's something you want me to try running through my OD optimizer, let me know. I have the files for all the RB1 tracks, as well as all the RB Track Pack 1 tracks (the track pack for the PS2/Wii).

If I am provided with files for other songs I could do those too, of course.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey so guys.

I've started seeing commercials for the AC/DC tracks pack tonight. They're pretty much just like the 'Let There Be Rock' commercials for Rock Band 2. AKA: bunch of people playing guitar, drums, etc., and having an AC/DC rock orgy in the middle of a big empty room.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what I just realized? There's no Alice Cooper in RB2 or GHWT.
    What the F?

They need to remedy that situation immediately.

The biggest "ugh" ever.

I would make it size 7 font but it's futile because we have no size 100 font.

Not only is Alice Cooper fucking terrible, but both Billion Dollar Babies and School's Out were terrible notecharts, showing that neither Harmonix or Neversoft can get anything useful out of the band.

I'm sure you want something in Rock Band that I consider fucking terrible, but you don't have to be a little twat about it. Many people would agree that having some more Alice Cooper would be awesome.
    If you don't like it, no one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to download it.

Eh, my bigger complaint wasn't so much his terrible music, rather the fact that it's boring and doesn't translate into RB well. There are plenty of songs I hate in both GH and RB that are fun to play, yet both of his left me disappointed. Especially Billion Dollar Babies...if Freya weren't in GH2, it would be the worst notechart in the game by far.

Though yeah, I suppose I could be less of a twat about it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I like how we were doing the A++ battle, came very close to the Steamin Lips, yet there's a 1000+ rank difference between us.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Also found out that just plugging the headset adapter for the strat/drums into a controller counts as a plugged in mic, meaning I don' t have to mess with the headset when I want to listen using no-fail mode.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    More Dream Theater is needed for Rock Band. Namely, many songs on Metropolis Pt 2 (Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, and Dance Of Eternity, the best instrumental track they've released).

Also, Muse's Black Holes and Revelations would be great. Either way, they need more Muse. I can't believe they have such little representation.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still really, really dislike Black Hole and Revelations.

Absolution and Origin of Symmetry are pretty good though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I find it's one of their better albums, I guess. It's not as rocky and more poppy, maybe, but that appeals to me.

Their older albums are good as well. I just want more Muse. Interesting (and non-trivial) drums, guitars, AND vocals for almost all their songs, plus it's good music.

And if they put YYZ in there, they better put Dance of Eternity (with a reasonable, non-BS chart).

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I still really, really dislike Black Hole and Revelations.

And I thought you were cool

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man what.

I am very cool.

You know what's not cool?

Black Holes and Revelations.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    muse's vocal style is really fun to sing. same deal with radiohead.

(ie: i don't feel bad for my falsetto being really girly when i sing those songs, as opposed to say, livin' on a prayer)

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Man what.

I am very cool.

You know what's not cool?

Black Holes and Revelations.

you did NOT just go there.

I agree somewhat though. Initially, BHAR was too poppy for my tastes, but then I listened to it again, and heard city of delusion, and map of the problematique. It was intense.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Heh.

Well, I am exaggerating alot. ;-)

BH&R is alright, but it's really lacking when compared to their other albums. To me anyway.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    BH&R is still one of the few albums on my iPod I can listen to from start to finish without skipping any tracks and like them all (except that one short one in the middle, but that doesn't count).

Though, not every track would be good in Rock Band. I'm not sure Invincible would be great, even though it's an awesome song, same with Take a Bow. Map of the Problematique, City of Delusion, Assassins (in GHWT I know) would be awesome, and Starlight/Supermassive Black Hole would be great for the poppy songs. Knights of Cydonia (properly synched) would be kind of fun for a while, but fast strumming patterns and the RB guitar + engine just don't mix well.

XenoScholar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    In case people here were thinking about how the GH:WT drum charts would look like:
    Schism
    Around the 4 minute mark, there's the really long break for drums (lasts over a minute) and its charted as a freestyle bonus section.

There are also numerous news sources citing a lot of unhappy customers regarding the drums and it's sketchy velocity settings and/or drum placement.

Arikado on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The best part about the stories of GH drums not working correctly? or at all?

This quote from red octane re: rock band's instruments

"They can pick up the standalone version of World Tour and use those instruments, and when they break they can buy ours."

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, its a lesson that's learned the hard way. When you make a peripheral who's main intent is to be hit with sticks by people ranging from young children to drunken adults, something is going to break before the sticks do.

Arikado on