As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think i'm pretty neutral on the whole debate. On one hand i'm fine with a change of location, and the new character style for Payne. But on the other hand, i'm really annoyed its a new voice actor. I mean, how much does a voice change in 12 years? Hell its been 6 years anyway, the actor is half way there. Also, i know i said i'm fine with the change of character style, but they better not go overboard. I'm looking at you, Warrior Within.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The voice actor for Max actually looks quite a bit like Max, I think, like some kind of mix of MP1 and MP2 Max.
    starter.jpg
    james-mccaffrey-1.jpg
    james-mccaffrey-2-hires_1200_1200_102400.jpg
    He probably should have played him in the movie.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    I think i'm pretty neutral on the whole debate. On one hand i'm fine with a change of location, and the new character style for Payne. But on the other hand, i'm really annoyed its a new voice actor. I mean, how much does a voice change in 12 years? Hell its been 6 years anyway, the actor is half way there. Also, i know i said i'm fine with the change of character style, but they better not go overboard. I'm looking at you, Warrior Within.

While changing the way he looks 12 years later isn't some sort of mortal sin, what they've done with the setting and his character is pretty ridiculous.

He's a washed up ex-cop with a drug/alcohol problem who's hit rock bottom and begins working in private security for a wealthy Brazilian family when he's betrayed and is drug into the seedy criminal underbelly of São Paulo looking for answers and revenge.

They should have just gone all the way and set it in Mexico City and changed his name to Max Creasy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    abloobloobloo bad thing are happening to max abloobloobloo

Robman on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll still give the game a chance, but without James McCaffrey's voice it's not REALLY Max Payne. It's the 'Violent Adventures of Sadsack McShootemall'.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't see the lack of McCaffrey as damning so much as the lack of Sam Lake. Even the ending credit song to MP2 was inspired by a dream he had.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ITT the people that actually think Max Payne 3 will be a good Max Payne sequel are fuckshits who somehow enjoyed Indy 4 and Die Hard 4.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ITT the people that actually think Max Payne 3 will be a good Max Payne sequel are fuckshits who somehow enjoyed the Max Payne movie.

yes

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The crappy photoshop graphic novels are part of what makes Max Payne now, I think.

I'm not sure why they decided to do that instead of getting an artist to actually draw them.

tofu on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ITT the people that actually think Max Payne 3 will be a good Max Payne sequel are fuckshits who somehow enjoyed Indy 4 and Die Hard 4.

ITT broad generalizations about you and your opinions.

Somebody call me when this thread has more info about the game.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I never played Max Payne.

Ever. hohohohoheee I am the villian where is my bag of delicious frozen treats.

JJ on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still don't understand how someone could dislike Die Hard 4

He threw a car into a helicopter for fuck's sake

Sure he didn't swear quite so much but there's the unrated DVD if you want that shit and I for one felt it wasn't actually necessary in order to enjoy John McClane driving a gigantic SUV and running women over before plummeting down an elevator shaft

Also I will wait for some gameplay footage before I decide to hate this game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh God.

I am sorry, but this + The Vader / Anakin analogy have me out of the thread. I understand debating whether or not it will be a good sequel, but this? Seriously?

Gentlemen, proceed with your SERIOUS BUSINESS, I'll be back when we are actually discussing the game and not bitching about people who have different opinions whilst proceeding to shit all over said opinions.
    Also I laughed at 'fuckshits' seriously, seriously, golden.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Saiga wrote: »

Oh God.

I am sorry, but this + The Vader / Anakin analogy have me out of the thread. I understand debating whether or not it will be a good sequel, but this? Seriously?

Gentlemen, proceed with your SERIOUS BUSINESS, I'll be back when we are actually discussing the game and not bitching about people who have different opinions whilst proceeding to shit all over said opinions.
    Also I laughed at 'fuckshits' seriously, seriously, golden.

Sir you appear to have a stick up your butt, why not bend way over and let this smiling man with the giant pair of novelty tweezers take care of you

Rust on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really want this game to be good, but from everything I've heard about it so far I'd be surprised if it's mediocre. I think everyone's tired of bullet time and without the same writer and voice actor I don't think there's any hope for this game.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    I really want this game to be good, but from everything I've heard about it so far I'd be surprised if it's mediocre. I think everyone's tired of bullet time and without the same writer and voice actor I don't think there's any hope for this game.

Speak for yourself, buddy. I am A-OK with more well done bullet time gameplay

And the voice actor was not that important, he was pretty good but not amazing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    He was actually pretty amazing.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It wasn't that he was amazingly talented. He just fit.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

The voice actor fit perfectly with the character and managed to evoke the depth of emotion felt by Max Payne. Max Payne without the original voice actor would be like Solid Snake without David Hayter.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm more worried about the script than the voice.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

The voice actor fit perfectly with the character and managed to evoke the depth of emotion felt by Max Payne. Max Payne without the original voice actor would be like Solid Snake without David Hayter.

Max Payne's original voice actor wasn't as good as the one in the sequel, I felt.

Then again that's probably because the original's cheekiness wouldn't have fit the second game's tone as well.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So let me ask the presumptive haters this: are you the people who hated GTA IV compared to GTA:SA?

Robman on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How the mother of fuck is that anywhere close to being the same thing?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Max Payne's original voice actor wasn't as good as the one in the sequel, I felt.

Then again that's probably because the original's cheekiness wouldn't have fit the second game's tone as well.

Not sure if this was a joke post or not, but it was the same voice actor in both games. :?

Burnage on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The whole movie was just a mediocre mess of random things happening. I can't even remember the villain. I just remember at some point Bruce willis rode a jet or something stupid

Die hard 1 and 3 is where it's at. No.2 is meh and 4 is the worst.

That is all.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

GTA:SA was an amazing fucking game
    MP2 was an amazing fucking game

GTA:IV was a different, amazing game
    MP3 is different, unknown amazingness but suddenly assumed to be absolute dogshit

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GTA has always had a different setting, a different theme, a different protagonist. This is a continuation of a story that people thought ended pretty satisfactorily half a decade ago.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

The whole movie was just a mediocre mess of random things happening. I can't even remember the villain. I just remember at some point Bruce willis rode a jet or something stupid

Die hard 1 and 3 is where it's at. No.2 is meh and 4 is the worst.

That is all.

Die Hard is about a regular guy who runs around barefoot and is slowed down by little things by glass as he struggles to obtain weaponry and fends off the last 2 villains with only 2 bullets and his wife held hostage. 3 is pretty good in that hes still a regular guy and pretty reluctant to get involved. 4, he rides a jet.

The mortal man who sliced his feet up on glass and struggled being one man against an army of terrorists rode on a fucking jet.

I'd forgive Bruce normally for Die Hard 1 but hes the one who interviewed about 4 and said they were postponing making it because it features terrorists.

Seemingly unaware that all the villains in his films were thieves masquerading as terrorists or using threats of terror as distractions from what they were realling doing.

And I liked all GTAs over GTAIV. That says a lot about GTAIV and how bad it is.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »

GTA:SA was an amazing fucking game
    MP2 was an amazing fucking game

GTA:IV was a different, amazing game
    MP3 is different, unknown amazingness but suddenly assumed to be absolute dogshit

Still the best comparison that can be made is Far Cry,Far Cry 2:MP1/2:MP3.

Far Cry was an amazing game and Far Cry 2 was a decent game and had absolutely nothing to do with the first one. Max Payne 1 and 2 were awesome. We have no idea how Max Payne 3 is going to be, but it looks like it's going to have nothing to do with either of the first two.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looking back i kind of despised gtaIV.
    Hokay im gonna go do this here mission right here and... phone rings

HEY COUSIN something something BIG AMERICAN TEETIES TEETIES

/sigh

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The FC2 devs flat out stated that FC2 was a very different beast to FC1 because their research showed that Jack Carver and the whole FC IP was kind of boring and didn't resonate with gamers.

Max Payne is an iconic gaming character, not as well known as Mario but equally respected by the wise sages of internet lore. They're going to keep the central themes of Payne's IP in the game because gamers want those themes in the game, the market research for FC2 showed that nobody gave two fucks about Carver being in FC2. He just wasn't a very memorable or interesting character.

That's why CryTek made a much bigger effort in creating a memorable cast in Crysis, one would imagine... if you create an iconic character then their presence alone can sell games. See: Gordon Freeman.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So let me ask the presumptive haters this: are you the people who hated GTA IV compared to GTA:SA?

The story and voice acting aren't consistent from game to game in GTA like they are in Max Payne 1 and 2. Max Payne is good because of the story, not because of the gameplay like GTA. Your analogy fails.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Noooooooooooooooo

We will not resort to complaining about GTA IV in this thread. Curse you, Robman, for mentioning that.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it still doesn't really make sense to call it FarCry 2. The games shared nothing. Except shooting stuff, I guess.

One was about a guy fighting mutant supersoldiers and monster monkeys in the jungle and finally squaring off against a super crazy mutant scientist villain.

the other was about war, mercenaries and assassinations in africa.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The story and voice acting aren't consistent from game to game in GTA like they are in Max Payne 1 and 2. Max Payne is good because of the story, not because of the gameplay like GTA. Your analogy fails.

Max Payne has awesome atmosphere, gameplay and story. Like any good game. Including the GTA games.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    it still doesn't really make sense to call it Far Cry 2. The games shared nothing. Except shooting stuff, I guess.

One was about a guy fighting mutant supersoldiers and monster monkeys in the jungle and finally squaring off against a super crazy scientist

the other was about diamond trade and assassinations in africa

Branding I guess. I think people would have been a lot more positive about the game had it been called "GTAfrica" or something, and had it been fully developed with proper faction loyalty/stories and shit. Man Fary Cry 2 felt like 75% of a fuckawesome game when you get right down to it.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah FC2 was just short of being completely awesome

but a few details weighed the game down too much

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Max Payne has awesome atmosphere, gameplay and story. Like any good game. Including the GTA games.
    GTA has always had a different setting, a different theme, a different protagonist. This is a continuation of a story that people thought ended pretty satisfactorily half a decade ago.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you think the story has ended, don't buy this one? Pretend it doesn't exist like the Star Wars fanatics who act like the prequel trilogy never happened?

Robman on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    on topic the feature in GI for MP3 looks pretty decent. I however contend that he be voice acted by Jeff Bridges channeling The Dude.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
This discussion has been closed.