As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's because of people like you that they're making this fucking game.

People who enjoy fun action games? Oh ok?

And not to derail but for me 3 is the worst Die Hard for me, not a bad movie, but it doesn't line up like the other 3.

I trust the team doing it, I trust rockstar to not screw up what could be a large money market game for them. And I trust I need more info before I say a game that was only recently alive is going to not live up to its previous iterations.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

It's because of people like you that they're making this fucking game.

People who enjoy fun action games? Oh ok?

And not to derail but for me 3 is the worst Die Hard for me, not a bad movie, but it doesn't line up like the other 3.

I trust the team doing it, I trust rockstar to not screw up what could be a large money market game for them. And I trust I need more info before I say a game that was only recently alive is going to not live up to its previous iterations.

Worst Opinion 09 Award Frontrunner

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rockstar is exactly why I have no faith in this game, really. If Remedy wanted to do something different with the setting and Max's look and had Sam Lake at the reigns, I'd be all for it.

But as it is, I've never played a Rockstar game that wasn't overly long and intensely repetitious. I don't really want to argue about their writing, but I think their characters tend to either be wholly uninteresting, cliche, contradictory, or all three, which doesn't really tend to build them up to much of anything. When they're not trying to just be funny, they are extremely humorless and when they are trying to be funny, their humor is amazingly juvenile and their jokes haven't really changed for a decade.

They also often seem to have trouble holding on to a tone in their games. GTA4, especially, felt very indecisive about what it wanted to be at any one moment.

Pull those things together and I'm not sure how well it will turn out. But if this is the studio that made Bully and The Warriors, then, uh... yay? I guess?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Rockstar is exactly why I have no faith in this game, really. If Remedy wanted to do something different with the setting and Max's look and had Sam Lake at the reigns, I'd be all for it.

But as it is, I've never played a Rockstar game that wasn't overly long and intensely repetitious. I don't really want to argue about their writing, but I think their characters tend to either be wholly uninteresting, cliche, contradictory, or all three, which doesn't really tend to build them up to much of anything. When they're not trying to just be funny, they are extremely humorless and when they are trying to be funny, their humor is amazingly juvenile and their jokes haven't really changed for a decade.

They also often seem to have trouble holding on to a tone in their games. GTA4, especially, felt very indecisive about what it wanted to be at any one moment.

Pull those things together and I'm not sure how well it will turn out. But if this is the studio that made Bully and The Warriors, then, uh... yay? I guess?

Very well put. I think this sums up a lot of peoples opinion. This is just like Far Cry 2. The new game will have next to nothing to do with the original 2. However where the Farcry IP was empty and nearly useless anyway the Max Payne IP is the exact opposite. Now with a movie and this game it is getting tortured.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You all make me jaded at my own community. Thanks.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You all make me jaded at my own community. Thanks.

lets commiserate together. maybe we can touch dicks.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Die Hard 4 is better than Indy 4, but that's like saying losing an arm is better than losing a leg: they both still suck.

None of the Die Hard movies measure up to the first one, the third is alright but it's a pretty distant second.

In conclusion John McClane has hair in all the good Die Hards.

tofu on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did somebody just talk shit about Die Hard With a Vengeance

DID SOMEBODY JUST TALK SHIT ABOUT DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE

Robman on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I keep forgetting "fan" is short for "fanatic."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And fuck you all Indy 4 was awesome abloobloobloo the fridge got nuked abloobloobloo but the wrath of god melting nazis from a stone box is cool abloobloobloo

Robman on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    And fuck you all Indy 4 was awesome abloobloobloo the fridge got nuked abloobloobloo but the wrath of god melting nazis from a stone box is cool abloobloobloo
    No wonder you're so excited for this game.

Edit: Also where in MP1 or MP2 did Max get addicted to anything because Mr. Zen I am sure that was not in the games.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

Edit: Also where in MP1 or MP2 did Max get addicted to anything because Mr. Zen I am sure that was not in the games.

Umm you used painkillers to reduce damage, you popped them like fucking candy. The second game kind of implied alcohol abuse.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the Kingdom of Crystal Skull was pretty much on par with the rest of the Indy movies.

Oh, Max Payne 3? Yeah I guess it's probably going to me a good game but damn if it doesn't sound like the only connection to the previous games is the title character's name.

S. on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Umm you used painkillers to reduce damage, you popped them like fucking candy. The second game kind of implied alcohol abuse.
    Umm the game never mentioned addiction that Zen keeps bringing up. If you're going to say that popping pills means it's an addiction, you're gonna have to explain magic regeneration or using a first-aid kit to heal your nearly dead person over and over and over and over.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Umm the game never mentioned addiction that Zen keeps bringing up. If you're going to say that popping pills means it's an addiction, you're gonna have to explain magic regeneration or using a first-aid kit to heal your nearly dead person over and over and over and over.

Oh sorry the fact you down more pills than Heath Ledger having sleeping troubles certainly doesn't imply some form of addiction.

Come on goomba! Max even trips out in the second game!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Oh sorry the fact you down more pills than Heath Ledger having sleeping troubles certainly doesn't imply some form of addiction.

He, uh... he tripped out in the first game.

You know. From the massive amounts of V.

Unless you mean the nightmares?

Also in the first game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm gonna end this argument:

Indy 4 sucked ass. MEGA ass.
    Die Hard 4 sucked ass. Just not as much MEGA ass as Indy 4.

In conclusion. aging action stars need to retire to strictly dramas. Or just retire.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Also in the first game.

Yes I know, but in the second game he didn't have V running through his veins and he still tripped out. The man had issues, its not a leap of logic from what you as the player do in the game to suggest he developed a dependency on pain pills. A lot of people do from repeated use.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Max Payne should come to all of your houses and murder you.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Also in the first game.

Yes I know, but in the second game he didn't have V running through his veins and he still tripped out. The man had issues, its not a leap of logic from what you as the player do in the game to suggest he developed a dependency on pain pills. A lot of people do from repeated use.
    He has nightmares way before the Valkyr, though.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

In conclusion. aging action stars need to retire to strictly dramas. Or just retire.

Die Hard 4 wasn't even a Die Hard film, was just an action movie. John McClane does not ride fucking jets.
    I know. It's not like it's going to retard developer X.

They want to make Max Payne to his logical conclusion: a man with nothing to lose. What they fuck did you expect him to be after losing the love of his life twice and not being able to save them, becoming addicted to painkillers, and hating everything?

Fucking Mark Wahlberg?

He does save her. They've just chosen to ignore that apparently.

Either ending I'm pretty sure he says hes ok to, moved on from his wifes death.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

They want to make Max Payne to his logical conclusion: a man with nothing to lose. What they fuck did you expect him to be after losing the love of his life twice and not being able to save them, becoming addicted to painkillers, and hating everything?

Fucking Mark Wahlberg?

Mona living is a stupid alternate ending that most people probably never even saw.

It felt as lame and anti-climactic an ending as it was so I'll be glad if they choose to ignore it. But yes, he does come to terms with things at the end. He doesn't even sound that put off by Mona's death, instead reflecting on the good she did for him and his struggles with his emotional demons.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Fucking Mark Wahlberg?

Mona living is a stupid alternate ending that most people probably never even saw.

It felt as lame and anti-climactic an ending as it was so I'll be glad if they choose to ignore it. But yes, he does come to terms with things at the end. He doesn't even sound that put off by Mona's death, instead reflecting on the good she did for him and his struggles with his emotional demons.

Why was it stupid? That was his peace. And Max has survived a hell of a lot more than Mona has.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Fucking Mark Wahlberg?

Why was it stupid? That was his peace. And Max has survived a hell of a lot more than Mona has.

Why was it stupid?

Mona gets shot. Max gets angry. Max kills people. Max goes to rejoin her. Oops, she's fine. Oh, she just got up. She doesn't even look injured. Okay.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Watch out for spoilers.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad that this series is (apparently) going in a different direction. I'll take this paunchy, bearded junkie over dipshit constipated face any day.

There wasn't that much visual fidelity between Max's character model in the first two games anyhoo:

89079_max_payne1.jpg

max-payne-2-2.jpg

That's like, two totally different dudes.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, G Rol, look at those terrible graphics. Ugh, what an awful game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man.

Max Payne 1 still looks pretty good actually.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well the face for Max in the first game was the face of his creator. I can only assume they couldn't come up with anything better at the tame, and kind of used him as a placeholder.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, G Rol, look at those terrible graphics. Ugh, what an awful game.

?

I, uh, don't have a problem with the graphics. I don't get your meaning (unless you're totally serious, which isn't likely given..you know, the internet and all).

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm playing it for the first time and man, they really nailed the atmosphere.

Also, Max's voice is fantastic, it's a shame I'm straight, otherwise I'd have to marry the voice actor. <3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    10f8kes.jpg

Yes, Max looked the exact same in both games

edit: Wait, I read that wrong, because one of the images won't load

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's just the graphics.

Max payne 1 is just a photo placed over a 3D head

Antihippy on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    It's just the graphics.

Max payne 1 is just a picture placed over a 3D head

Remedy used real people for both versions of Max. Sam Lake for MP1, and Tim Gibbs for MP2. Honestly, Rockstar's Max Payne does look like Gibbs if he was ten years older, and bald.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Really?

Huh, didn't knew that.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's not just Max either. Everyone in both games are modeled after real people and the graphic novel story sections are photoshopped still images from photoshoots set against a white background.

Most characters in the first game are based off of Remedy employees and their family members and friends.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not just Max either. Everyone in both games are modeled after real people and the graphic novel story sections are photoshopped still images from photoshoots set against a white background.

Most characters in the first game are based off of Remedy employees and their family members and friends.

Yep. It was weird when I first came across these.
    end.jpg
    MP2_Photograph_091.jpg
    MP2_Photograph_041.jpg
    MP2_Photograph_071.jpg

I'm assuming Rockstar isn't going to continue hiring actors, but who knows?

Burnage on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Explains why all the New Yorkers look Scandinavian.

Also as far as MP3 having a real meaningful narrative, I still just can't see it happening, at least in my eyes. While Max did have closure after the first game by killing the people responsible for Valkyr, he left a lot of loose ends. Why did Woden help him, and what was Vladimir Lem going to do after Max helped him in the first game? His story clearly wasn't over. Hence why they made a second game. But after the second game, there's just nothing left. Woden is dead, Vlad is dead. The Inner Circle is gone. Mona is gone. And Max finally has closure; Through Mona he realised what it was to care for someone, and he realised that part of caring for someone is the knowledge that you will one day lose them.

I just feel like we've already explored every facet of Max's character. I feel like he's had his run, and honestly, I just don't have any desire to follow him through another narrative, because I feel like I know him already, and there just won't be anything I haven't seen in either MP1 or 2.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Die Hard 4 wasn't even a Die Hard film, was just an action movie. John McClane does not ride fucking jets.

This would be hilarious if I didn't think you were being serious.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Final off-topic post...biggest reason why DH4 sucked balls: PG-13.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.