As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Oh for god sakes.

Max payne isn't film noir. It's neo-noir.

It might borrow elements from film noir heavily, but it's not part of that movement.

And neo-noir can be pretty broad.

I've always seen it as noir combined with john woo, and john woo is clearly a pretty big influence on the team.

You've just admitted that to a certain extent it is part of the noir movement. Of course it's not strictly noir, but I don't know if it's fair to call it neo-noir just because it doesn't follow the same formula, wordy by word.

Anyway, I've yet to see a noir-something game set in Brazil during the day so let's see how it goes.

That's the point. Neo-noir is stuff that's influenced by noir, but they're not actual film noir.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Film Noir is tired at this point anyways, you aren't going to top the classics, the only stuff left to explore are bizzare fun bits like Brick

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Technically film noir has been dead since the 1950s. :P

There's even a specific year too, but I can't remember it.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Noir isn't dead, it's just grown old and tired like a retired private dick, sitting in shadows, haunted by ghosts of the past.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nah, it's been succeeded by the cool, young and hip neo-noir.

Invading old peoples lawns and riding bikes.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man what's this? Alien 2 and its not on another ship with one alien? Bullshit this can be some other franchise but it aint alien. Terminator and Arnold is the good guy? Man that's total bullshit they should call this something different because its not the terminator I know. Another Die Hard and its not in an office building with an alan rickman like guy taunting him? Man fuck this, I know Die Hard you sir ar no die hard.

Um, Terminator 2 was also written and directed by it's original writer and director, James Cameron; Max Payne 3 is like the Terminator: Salvation of that comparison (not necessarily bad but also completely different). Aliens was fantastic because it was James fucking Cameron. He has a way of staying true to the original's atmosphere and themes (well, replacing the phallic theme with that of a mother) while also building on the universe extensively.

Rockstar is clearly taking great liberties with the franchise. I'm not saying the game is going to suck, just that they are taking the narrative in a completely different direction than anyone could have predicted, and I'm not seeing how it will (relevantly) connect to the previous entires in the series. And that sucks, because I would have loved to see another chapter in New York.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm tired of NYC personally. Ever since 9/11 it's been NYC this NYC that NYC fucking everywhere goddamn. Of course it was probably NYC everything before that too, I just didn't notice.

Robman on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    Man what's this? Alien 2 and its not on another ship with one alien? Bullshit this can be some other franchise but it aint alien. Terminator and Arnold is the good guy? Man that's total bullshit they should call this something different because its not the terminator I know. Another Die Hard and its not in an office building with an alan rickman like guy taunting him? Man fuck this, I know Die Hard you sir ar no die hard.

Um, Terminator 2 was also written and directed by it's original writer and director, James Cameron; Max Payne 3 is like the Terminator: Salvation of that comparison (not necessarily bad but also completely different). Aliens was fantastic because it was James fucking Cameron. He has a way of staying true to the original's atmosphere and themes (well, replacing the phallic theme with that of a mother) while also building on the universe extensively.

Rockstar is clearly taking great liberties with the franchise. I'm not saying the game is going to suck, just that they are taking the narrative in a completely different direction than anyone could have predicted, and I'm not seeing how it will (relevantly) connect to the previous entires in the series. And that sucks, because I would have loved to see another chapter in New York.

To be fair, Aliens was very different from Alien

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The point you missed it. We know as much about the new payne as we did about those movies. Have some faith, I mean The Warriors was the best brawler in years, hell I can't even think of a brawler since then that was as fun. And they stayed entirely true to the source material.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fair enough. Using T2 as an example for this just deserved ridicule, but I see what you're saying. I haven't written up a petition to stop the game from being released or anything, I'm just really disappointed they would show the game to us like this off the bat.

It would be like showing off Terminator 3 for the first time by leaking a screenshot of Arnold in the tutu.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Terminator 3 was a great movie and the sunglasses gag was actually funny

Robman on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Anybody who doesn't like the new Max Payne image is dumb

What do you except from a painkiller addict down on his luck after the love of his life died
    To have a name that isn't "Max Payne".

There's no reason for this game since his story is done and the people making it are pretty oblivious to what made the games so great. Or at least they do a pretty good job of acting like it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yes, that horrible narrative of "we-dont-know-what-thefuck-beyond-baldness"

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game's plot will consist entirely of Payne screaming at brazilian kids "WHERE CAN I GET A HAIR GROWING PRODUCT AROUND HERE?!". The kids will of course reply "Que?" and Payne will shoot them in the head.

THE END.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    Saiga wrote: »
    John McClane has hair

Smartass.

die_hard4_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Sorry, doesn't count

Fuck you that movie ruled

Worse than Die Hard 2.

tofu on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also we need a new Max Payne skin for l4d Francis now

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yes, that horrible narrative of "we-dont-know-what-thefuck-beyond-baldness"

Don't you get it? He's bald. He's a pain killer addict. HE HAS A BEARD. There's only one possible narrative that can result from this. And it's nothing like the last two games. Call it Expire in a Difficult Manner!

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saiga wrote: »
    John McClane has hair

Smartass.

die_hard4_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Sorry, doesn't count

Fuck you that movie ruled

Worse than Die Hard 2.

66893560.jpg

Can we add "because you hate Die Hard 4" to the reasons for getting choked?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't see how you can hate Die Hard 4.

I mean, it's not like Kevin Smith was in it as some lonely computer nerd called 'The Warlock' who uttered the line 'Why'd you bring a cop into my command centre', or anything.

Oh wait, that's exactly what it was like.

What a terrible movie.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No James McCaffrey = downgrade from 'cautious optimism' to 'cautious'. His voice acting is what made Max... well, Max. Having someone else there will truly make it a different character than the other games, and can you really call it Max Payne if it looks and sounds completely different? You might as well just call him 'Sadsack McShootemall' for all the resemblance he bears to the original character.

Seriously, why the hell couldn't he play an older version of Max Payne? DAVID FRIGGIN HAYTER played Snake in EVERY game, even where Snake was an old guy.

They'd better keep the underlying sense of humor from the first two Max Paynes. Even when shit got serious on an epic scale, there was always some little absurdity around to make you grin.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait...is it confirmed James McCaffrey isn't back as Max Payne? If so. Fuck it, im out.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the GI preview said they weren't gonna use McCaffrey. Take that as you will. I'll miss him, but there's still awesome voice actors out there. Everyone was pissed when they didn't use Sam Lake's face for Max in MP2, but from the sounds of it, nobody seems to fucking care anymore.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    Wait...is it confirmed James McCaffrey isn't back as Max Payne? If so. Fuck it, im out.

You're not being serious, right.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Well yeah, i'm just overreacting. God knows i'll still probably get it day one. But i'm still really shocked about it. I understand why its another developer. I can also accept a change of location. But this just seems unnecessary.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Zen, at a certain point you're not making a game in a series, you're just using its name for sales.

Nothing shown so far seems to make it looks anything like a Max Payne game.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Zen, come on have you read some of the other posters? I swear people want a reason to hate this game so they are. For me the biggest part was finding out it was Rockstar Vancouver doing the game. Warriors is one of the best games from last gen and used a property over 30 years old and also beloved. Game is in good hands.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Zen, come on have you read some of the other posters? I swear people want a reason to hate this game so they are. For me the biggest part was finding out it was Rockstar Vancouver doing the game. Warriors is one of the best games from last gen and used a property over 30 years old and also beloved. Game is in good hands.

This thread is pretty hilarious. Those who are saying "This game might be great but it won't be Max Payne" are probably the best. It's a tossup between that and "WHY BRAZIL"/"THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE MAX."

I'm surprised there's been no talk about how Rockstar is dumbing down the game for console players. Did that idiocy finally die out?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know. It's not like it's going to retard developer X.

They want to make Max Payne to his logical conclusion: a man with nothing to lose. What they fuck did you expect him to be after losing the love of his life twice and not being able to save them, becoming addicted to painkillers, and hating everything?

Fucking Mark Wahlberg?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    People are right there is no reason to hate this game, it does look pretty good. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Max Payne. NOTTTTHHHHHHIIIIIIIINNNNG. I asked me to list the top 10 things that make a Max Payne game, the only thing MP3 has on that list is bullet time". This game looks cool, but if this game could be called Stranglehold 2 just as easy.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, FFS. Most people here say that the game sounds like it could be very cool; what they're complaining about is that so far there's no visible trace of anything that makes this Max Payne (rather than, say, Stranglehold 2). That is what most people are complaining about, and so far I haven't seen a single post making a good case why this should be a silly opinion.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the GI preview said they weren't gonna use McCaffrey. Take that as you will. I'll miss him, but there's still awesome voice actors out there. Everyone was pissed when they didn't use Sam Lake's face for Max in MP2, but from the sounds of it, nobody seems to fucking care anymore.

Even with the face change, certain things remained the same. The clothes, the hair and most importantly THE VOICE. The voice is what makes a character a character. Faces change over time, new clothes are worn, people get fat, etc etc but a voice still sounds similar all through your adult years. When a character who's sounded one way for a long time suddenly sounds different, there's a disconnect.

Imagine Sam Fisher without Michael Ironside's voice. Imagine Solid Snake without David Hayter. Imagine Kratos without TC Carson. Marcus Fenix without John Dimaggio.

And now the question is will the new voice actor they get sound completely different or will they spend the whole game doing an impression of James McCaffrey?

I'm sure 'The New Adventures of Sadsack McShootemall' could wind up being fun. But I'm having a hard time referring to it as 'Max Payne 3' right now, seeing as how the character has lost everything that made him Max Payne.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I can't see how you can hate Die Hard 4.

I mean, it's not like Kevin Smith was in it as some lonely computer nerd called 'The Warlock' who uttered the line 'Why'd you bring a cop into my command centre', or anything.

Oh wait, that's exactly what it was like.

What a terrible movie.

die-hard-4.jpg

Fuck

You

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    Oh, FFS. Most people here say that the game sounds like it could be very cool; what they're complaining about is that so far there's no visible trace of anything that makes this Max Payne (rather than, say, Stranglehold 2). That is what most people are complaining about, and so far I haven't seen a single post making a good case why this should be a silly opinion.

One article, with screenies that don't show a whole lot and now the game is nothing like Max Payne. Man some of you fortune tellers should tell me the lotto numbers with these predictions.

Things that make max payne for me

Balls to the wall action CHECK!

Hero who has nothing left to lose CHECK!

Interesting Set Pieces CHECK (the description of sau paolo sounds extremely interesting dichotomy I wonder how it'll play out in the game).

Bullet Time CHECK

Story told from the main characters perspective with a blend of comic book and monologue CHECK

As far as the game being stranglehold 2. Lets see Max Payne paid homage to John Woos blood operas, Stranglehold was a video game continuation of one of john woos most famous blood opera.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually, I think the Die Hard 4/Indy 4 comparison is pretty apt. And my guess is it'll have the same reaction: some people will love it, some people will hate it.

I liked both of those movies, and Rockstar is a great developer, so throw me into the "cautiously optimistic" camp. The setting certainly sounds interesting. I'm still not 100% convinced that it will be Max Payne, though. Especially without McCaffery's voice. But, we'll see.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Die Hard 4 was far better than Indy 4 you take that back

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah not even the same fucking ball park. Indy 4 was retarded. Die Hard 4 was the same over the top explosion fest the previous movies were. I mean if anything 3 was the Indy 4 of the set.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wait are you saying die hard with a vengeance is the worst out of all of them?

THIS THREAD. FULL OF TERRIBLE OPINIONS.

this game will be fine. if it was the same as 1 and 2 you people would be in here complaining how they are just rehashing the same shit and need to take max to a new level.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah not even the same fucking ball park. Indy 4 was retarded. Die Hard 4 was the same over the top explosion fest the previous movies were. I mean if anything 3 was the Indy 4 of the set.

Did you just diss Die Hard with a Vengeance?!

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE JESUS CHRIST

The only bad Die Hard movie was 2 and even then it was only intensely forgettable, not actively offensive

e: you and me, TK

Together against the world

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thirith wrote: »

One article, with screenies that don't show a whole lot and now the game is nothing like Max Payne. Man some of you fortune tellers should tell me the lotto numbers with these predictions.

Things that make max payne for me

Balls to the wall action CHECK!

Hero who has nothing left to lose CHECK!

Interesting Set Pieces CHECK (the description of sau paolo sounds extremely interesting dichotomy I wonder how it'll play out in the game).

Bullet Time CHECK

Story told from the main characters perspective with a blend of comic book and monologue CHECK

As far as the game being stranglehold 2. Lets see Max Payne paid homage to John Woos blood operas, Stranglehold was a video game continuation of one of john woos most famous blood opera.

It's because of people like you that they're making this fucking game.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Stranglehold was a pretty good game

I enjoyed it immensely for the short time it stuck around

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.