Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Okay, I understand the appeal of the dog rapist build, and the witchblade build. But what about the regular joe who just wants to pick an assault rifle or lmg and be done with it?

Some swear by the TAR, some the ACR, and the SCAR and FAMAS have their proponents. Is there consensus on the point of which is the best overall AR/LMG?

I'll go to my grave saying the SCAR, but it's so subjective as to be a pointless argument to have.

I agree that it's a pointless argument, however I feel that feedback from people about why they like/dislike something is valuable information.

For example, I've already learned quite a bit from the few comments already posted. I love reading different takes on things, it's like a fighting game analysis, almost.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Okay, I understand the appeal of the dog rapist build, and the witchblade build. But what about the regular joe who just wants to pick an assault rifle or lmg and be done with it?

Some swear by the TAR, some the ACR, and the SCAR and FAMAS have their proponents. Is there consensus on the point of which is the best overall AR/LMG?

F2000 is the best, as long as you're on the opposing team.

M4 is the best all round, as ACR pretty much needs SP and the SCAR requires Scavenger.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have to throw my hat in as a proponent of the M16, at least when playing softcore modes.
    In hardcore I'll use the ACR, but in soft the M16 is a lethal killing machine, especially with stopping power.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can do equally well with the M16/SCAR/TAR/FAMAS/FAL/AUG. I think most of the assault rifles are close enough where there's no absolute best.

Edit: Oddly, I have zero kills with the M4 and very few with the ACR.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Every gun is the best if you hit them in the brain.

Stigma on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stigma wrote: »

usually needs to be twice though. that first bullet in the head just wasn't good enough

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »

usually needs to be twice though. that first bullet in the head just wasn't good enough

Play hardcore.

In fact, every bullet pretty much kills in hardcore, so the best gun is the most accurate.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ugh I'm usually not an angry competitive nerd gamer but this game brings it out of me. Went 22-3 on HTDM and still lost because of the two 9 year olds that went 2-19 or some crap. Yes, it is your fault we lost and I will unleash copious amounts of curse words in your ear if I'm drunk.

I'm very sad to report that PSN users have discovered the dog rapist build, only ran into one in every fifty games or so before. Now there's atleast 3 per team. Woe is me.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    what is the dog rapist build that everyone is talking about?

JMT_AOTP on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anything using akimbo 1887's.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm up for playing with some PA guys, send me an invite, I'm in the chat room.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ChairborneChairborne Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD + grip + sleight of hand pro, stopping power, and scrambler has been my go-to when I'm down in a match. RPD + grip allows me to make long shots on Wasteland, sleight of hand is good for reloading and the faster ADS is awesome. Stopping power plus RPD rate of fire makes COM shots almost as quick a kill as headshots, and the scrambler partly makes up for the lack of Cold Blooded in slot 2.

Chairborne on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't understand all the hate for 1887s. The spas has nearly the same range and you can ADS for easy headshots (1 hit kill, where 1887s would have to use both shots). You can use a red dot sight to help with headshots, or put on a grip if you don't want to waste a perk slot with steady aim. Silenced spas has a much smaller range, but at least you have that option. The only big advantage the akimbo 1887s have is the large amount of shells they can hold (not a big deal if you reload a lot), even then you could use extended mags on the spas and have a huge 16 shells before you have to reload.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The 1887s also have a huge-ass crosshair that is almost totally filled by bullets whenever its fired, making it VERY easier to kill people.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The hate for the 1887's is that they are objectively better than any other weapon a good percentage of the time. You don't need a red dot, a grip, a silencer, or anything else, because anything you see dies in one hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8G2O0u9-k

This is clearly unbalanced.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    I don't understand all the hate for 1887s. The spas has nearly the same range and you can ADS for easy headshots (1 hit kill, where 1887s would have to use both shots). You can use a red dot sight to help with headshots, or put on a grip if you don't want to waste a perk slot with steady aim. Silenced spas has a much smaller range, but at least you have that option. The only big advantage the akimbo 1887s have is the large amount of shells they can hold (not a big deal if you reload a lot), even then you could use extended mags on the spas and have a huge 16 shells before you have to reload.

Except the 1887 has a larger kill zone both in width and length than the Spas. A Spas won't one shot kill from 30ft away without a headshot which is far from guarenteed at that range even if you ADS. The 1887 will if you fire both barrels, one barrel if you're running Stopping Power. Without having to ADS.

That's kind of bullshit.

I amuse myself by flanking them, picking up their guns and then farming the shit out of them with their own weapons though so, meh, whatever.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We should demonstrate to the developers how unbalanced this is.
    I suggest that everyone use dual 1887s at all times.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, you are forced into using akimbo and steady aim with the 1887s.

Watching that video, there wasn't anything he did that couldn't be done with the spas. In fact, he could have used a spas with grip and picked up a different perk number 3.

Yes you can skip ADS+headshot and fire both at the same time, but then you are stuck with a small level action animation. With the spas a headshot kill at that distance and you are ready to fire at a second target much faster.

The 1887s are a solid weapon, don't get me wrong (I still prefer the spas), but I just don't see them as overpowered/gamebreaking.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Akimbo 1887's kill with one shot from the hip at a range where you need to ADS+headshot with a SPAS to get a kill. And following that you need to sit through the pump action to shoot again with a SPAS, whereas you have a second 1887 to shoot immediately if there is another target.

Look, you're right, the SPAS is pretty close in killing power when compared to an 1887, and it's definitely got a lot of attachments going for it. But you have to be pretty fucking good with it to be able to keep up, whereas any retard who picked up the game 5 minutes ago can clean house with akimbo 1887's. They are simply too good.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    How's a single 1887 hold up to the SPAS? I still want to use that gun, dog fuckers or no.

Fats on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have never seen someone use a single 1887.

you can almost think that they come unlocked with akimbo

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Guess I'll be the first, once Forza 3 stops eating up all my time.

Fats on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I have never seen someone use a single 1887.

you can almost think that they come unlocked with akimbo

You only need 10 kills to unlock akimbo, so they basically are unlocked like that.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    How's a single 1887 hold up to the SPAS? I still want to use that gun, dog fuckers or no.

You feel like a classy gentleman when you use one.
    ValasDocHoliday.jpg

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    i think for choosing the weapons they wanted to include for mw2 infinity ward just watched a whole bunch of future weapons on the discovery channel

totally agree, with the exception of the 1887's and Thumper which are clearly homages to Terminator 2, every weapon is straight out of FutureWeapons or that top ten weapons show on the military channel.

this kinda makes sense, seeing as the game takes place sometime around 2015, when weapons like the SCAR-H and AA-12 will be in full use by forces like the USMC. although some of the killstreaks don't really jive with this, since the harrier will certainly be phased out by then and the Pave Low has been retired for over a year

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "The assassination of Witch the Build by the coward Akimbo 1887"

I will make this movie.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    "The assassination of Witch the Build by the coward Akimbo 1887"

I will make this movie.

I'll buy it when it hits Blu-ray.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmmmm. To prestige or not to prestige. I do like my guns. I will miss the AK, as it's such a lovely weapon.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Who decided to put "The Exterminator" on the Austrian flag? That's in rather poor taste.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Who decided to put "The Exterminator" on the Austrian flag? That's in rather poor taste.

I know, really. The Tasmanians were much better at it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

poor taste indeed, although i think it's probably another schwarzenneger/T2 reference. the game is full of them, at least the multiplayer

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's probably what they were going for, it just seems rather poorly thought-out, doesn't it? I'm also glad the green challenges keep after a Prestige jump, that should make things a bit easier.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Redcat wrote: »
    Xaev wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    If scavenger even lets you pick up a tube grenade if that's the only thing you can pick up.

So many times I have to fire off some rounds and reload them to pick up the grenade I actually need.

Not positive I understand what you're saying here, but you know that if your tube is empty you have to have it out (with the 'NO AMMO' sign up) in order to refill it, right? As soon as you pick up a pack you'll reload.

I know this, but it's still stupid. I should be able to pick up more grenades when I have my rifle in firing mode. The same applies to the Thumper and RPG-7.

You don't have to have the tube out. The reason Scav sometimes seems not to work is because if the ammo reserve (not in-gun) is full on the weapon you have equipped you won't pick up the bag.

e.g. If I have 120 rounds remaining in my SCAR reserve and have fired my M203s I can run over a bag all day and get nothing.

If I have 119 rounds in my reserve and have fired my grenades stepping on a bag will give me 1 bullet, one M203 grenade, and 1 of whatever else I'm missing.

You can pick up those grenades without switching, you will go through the reload animation if you switch to it while it's empty.

You are wrong. If you take a scav class with a tube'd AR, and you do nothing other than fire both tubes, you WILL need to have the tube "out" to refill it's ammo. Same with a Javelin.

This is, of coarse, only true if those are the ONLY thing you have used so far. If you throw a grenade, or a flash, or drop a claymore, or fire 1 bullet and reload your clip, or anything other than the only firing the tube, every pack you hit will pick up.

Pssst... We're saying the same thing.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do we have a support group for Heartbeat sensor users? I've used one on my FAL for so long I can't stand any class that doesn't have one, and blame every death on my lack of a HB sensor

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If we forego that shotgun, what shotgun do you guys think have the longest one-shot range? The SPAS for it's accuracy stat or the striker for it's range stat? Also does steady aim really do anything for shotguns?

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The listed stats, for the umpteenth time, are almost completely arbitrary. But to that, the SPAS-12.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Enemy team controls all 3 points.

What does my team do?

Hole up in the center building of Derail and camp it out.

Yeah.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So a little bit ago I fired a stinger at an enemy harrier just as an enemy chopper flew over it. The harrier's explosion blew up the chopper and I got credit for both. Out of all the idiotic challenges they have, they don't have one for blowing up two enemy air supports with the same missile? Gah.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I started playing this game on PC recently, is there anything I can do to combat the use of aimbot hacks? Does IWNet have a report function?

If you do play on the PC and the tag "G.A.OWNS ALL" pops up then I would suggest just leaving the game.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    So I started playing this game on PC recently, is there anything I can do to combat the use of aimbot hacks? Does IWNet have a report function?

If you do play on the PC and the tag "G.A.OWNS ALL" pops up then I would suggest just leaving the game.

IWNet is running VAC. Those people will hopefully be identified and banned. It's the anti-cheat software running behind all of Valve's online games.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg