Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the biggest issue right now is that the maps are so much bigger that you have to play this in a completely different manner than you played the COD4 MP. IMO it's a really bad idea to try to the same style of play from COD4 in MW2, and a lot of people are having a difficult time figuring out how to play the new maps.

Which is why I'm mostly reverting to "run around like a crazy bastard, they wont expect that!"

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've been using a Danger Close/Scavenger build for like 2 weeks now and I never,ever had "unlimited explosives". I may not be the best player,but I am also not the worst.

@hiryu: uh,that doesn't/shouldn't happen. There is no "non glitch" way to make that happen and I'm sure an infinite grenade launcher glitch would be ALL OVER the net by now.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have no way to prove it, of course, but it happened. Not once, but over five times. The killcam looks a bit choppy. like the guy killing me was lagged a bit, but I clearly saw him chucking nades in a stream, adjusting for where opponents appeared on the map. I saw this 5 or more times.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't really think MW2 < CoD4. They both have their ups and downs. I much prefer the weapons in MW2.

There are definitely ways for the game to be exploited. Like in a CTF match on that really terrible shanty town level with the chickens and dead cows. The opposing team were a clan, all outfited with light weight and marathon and tac insert. They'd capture the flag and immediately spawn next to it again.

But, you know, that's high level play, and that happens.

I think the maps do encourage camping, but that hasn't stopped me from doing with with my wandering type classes.

I find that well organized teams, or just teams with a majority of good players, tends to do well.

The most frustrating games I've had are where my friends aren't there to back me up. I can do great with them, because I know Kris will be doing this, Baker will be doing that, and are dependable, so I can move between two points and hold this area down.

When playing with pubbies who either camp entire spots and only look in one fucking direction or pubbies who just constantly throw themselves into the line of fire, yeah, shit gets frustrating.

Though I think I shouted "MAKE THEM COME TO US" the same amount in both games.

Seriously. If you're winning, but the tide is turning, stop. Come back. Don't go over to the same spot where you died two seconds ago.
    I've been using a Danger Close/Scavenger build for like 2 weeks now and I never,ever had "unlimited explosives". I may not be the best player,but I am also not the worst.

You only get one extra grenade for the noob tube per pick up, which requires a slow ass reload, so it's not exactly optimal.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »

It is a fact of multiplayer gaming, but it seems to be REALLY bad in MW2 at times. Some nights it's okay, other nights (like last night), the host's simulation and my simulation are so far, it's almost unplayable. This is unfortunately the issues that peer-to-peer gaming introduce to a multiplayer game. Also, it doesn't help that IW didn't spend the time/money that Bungie did to perfect their peer-to-peer networking code (Halo 3 has almost none of these problems, despite using the same network structure).

I think Halo 3 had it, but it was usually less noticeable because of the copious amounts of bullets needed to kill someone. It's easier to notice the disparity when it only takes 3 bullets to kill someone.

It was especially noticeable in Halo 3 with the shotgun.

The same concept applies to dedicated server based games as well. I notice plenty of things like this in CS:S and TF2.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Compared to this shit, COD4 was a masterpiece of balance.

This is the opposite of true. MW2 will forever be miles ahead of COD4 simply because they removed Frag x3+Martyrdom.

To be replaced with unlimited grenade launchers with danger close. This is not an improvement.

The thing about that is,that you have to run over one of those little backpacks. And those are usually quite a bit away from you,cause the launcher has a certain range. And then you usually get shot,because in this game,you get shot a lot. Usually.

This, exactly. To get 3 uses out of your grenade launcher, it takes a lot more than just 'aim over that building and start hammering R2'. If the other team goes out of their way to suck, then yes, you can easily have infinite grenade kills, but if they know what they're doing they're going to engage you in a manner that prevents you from using it. It's this shift in gameplay to a style that rewards tactical adaptability that really makes the game a different animal.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If scavenger even lets you pick up a tube grenade if that's the only thing you can pick up.

So many times I have to fire off some rounds and reload them to pick up the grenade I actually need.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    we had a groundwar / domination on terminal that was just full of m203s, thumpers, and RPGs. I swear you didn't need infinite ammo because you would die after getting about 2 grenades off. It was kind of hilarious. I would probably be really pissed if that happened all the time, but it doesn't.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Caedere wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    CoD4 > MW2

You all know its true.

From a balance and map design perspective I have to agree. MW2 has more , well everything but that doesnt really make something better.

CoD4s maps were shit. Say what you will about weapon balance in MW2, but the maps are far more interesting and far better designed.

I will take Wasteland over Creek any day.

Lies , the cod4 were for the most part much better. The only thing mw2 maps seems to be good for hiding on roof tops . They have no flow during the game and just encourage camping since aggressive play of any sort seems to be punished.

Pretty much everything new they added in this game was to benefit campers and douchebags. Tac Inserts, Scavenger for unlimited grenade launcher spam, silencers on anything, Bling so you don't have tradeoffs in attachments, Heartbeat sensors, thermal scopes, OMA for free resupply anywhere, last stand available in not one but 2 slots and still has invulnerable frames and lets you completely recover afterwards instead of dying, akimbo anything, low level kill streak that can provide a powerful kill streak without having to actually earn it, and teleporting knife attacks that ignore intervening damage.

Are we even playing the same game?

The only decent maps to come out of CoD4 were: Vacant, Chinatown, Broadcast, and maybe Crash, depending on who you ask.

Everything else was campfest. Well, either that, or you had to put up with ridiculous grenade spam.

But then again, you sound like one of those, "EVERYTHING NEW SUCKS" kinds of people, so I don't know why I'm even bothering. :P Suffice it to say, despite the few bugs we've had - which are now gone, thank goodness - MW2's multiplayer is superior to its predecessor in almost every way. Granted, I speak for the 360 version, but that's because if I want to play a team-based FPS on my PC, I stick with TF2.

You didn't play cod4 all that much did you? Vacant , Chinatown and Broadcast were seen as average maps and everyone I have ever talked to said they HATED chinatown. On the other hand Crash was one of everyone's favorites. Still lumping us with the "new sucks" crowd just because we don't enjoy everything about mw2 is all kinds of fucking stupid. Yes MW2 is fun but superior in everything to the first? No.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This is the opposite of true. MW2 will forever be miles ahead of COD4 simply because they removed Frag x3+Martyrdom.

The martydom change was wonderful. However I consider the loss of fragx3 and the gain of infinite explosives of all kinds to be a wash.

I find everything about explosives in this game to be several orders of magnitude less obnoxious than 3x frag was in MW1. In fact, what drove me away from MW1 was how terrible the 3x frag spam got, especially on small maps. People wouldn't even shoot, it would just be groups of people throwing 3x frag in an area they figured people would be.

And yet, had they kept the 3x frags (no scav) and only made the throwing distance reduction, you would see less spam than there is now.

Are we even playing the same game?

The only decent maps to come out of CoD4 were: Vacant, Chinatown, Broadcast, and maybe Crash, depending on who you ask.

Everything else was campfest. Well, either that, or you had to put up with ridiculous grenade spam.

But then again, you sound like one of those, "EVERYTHING NEW SUCKS" kinds of people, so I don't know why I'm even bothering. :P Suffice it to say, despite the few bugs we've had - which are now gone, thank goodness - MW2's multiplayer is superior to its predecessor in almost every way. Granted, I speak for the 360 version, but that's because if I want to play a team-based FPS on my PC, I stick with TF2.

I didn't mention anything about the maps. I like most of the new maps. And no, they have made improvements, I just wish lag advantage was one of them. Or that they hadn't forgot to hire balance and play testers.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The martydom change was wonderful. However I consider the loss of fragx3 and the gain of infinite explosives of all kinds to be a wash.

I find everything about explosives in this game to be several orders of magnitude less obnoxious than 3x frag was in MW1. In fact, what drove me away from MW1 was how terrible the 3x frag spam got, especially on small maps. People wouldn't even shoot, it would just be groups of people throwing 3x frag in an area they figured people would be.

I agree 100%. I stopped playing COD4 because of grenade spam. I barely ever get naded anymore because claymores and C4 and TI are all so much better. 40's I can live with because it does take some skill to use them, and because the maps have mostly been constructed to prevent spawn killing using them (with notable exceptions).

Overall I'd have to say that this game is a lot better due to a few things:
    -Better weapons
    -Better maps
    -Better game flow (lack of grenades, neat tactical items like TI, etc)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    If scavenger even lets you pick up a tube grenade if that's the only thing you can pick up.

So many times I have to fire off some rounds and reload them to pick up the grenade I actually need.

Not positive I understand what you're saying here, but you know that if your tube is empty you have to have it out (with the 'NO AMMO' sign up) in order to refill it, right? As soon as you pick up a pack you'll reload.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    As far as rooftops, the rooftops on maps like Favela are ridiculously risky. If you're constantly getting jacked by someone on the rooftops near B, there are about a dozen ways to easily see up there while keeping your butt hidden.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are there any official patch notes out? Besides "We fixed the javelin and care package glitch, among others." Or was that literally all they did? I guess what I am hoping is that they ninja fixed 1887's and aren't telling anyone so the dicks that use them will get utterly destroyed next time they log in.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Are there any official patch notes out? Besides "We fixed the javelin and care package glitch, among others." Or was that literally all they did? I guess what I am hoping is that they ninja fixed 1887's and aren't telling anyone so the dicks that use them will get utterly destroyed next time they log in.

They nerfed lightweight from 10% to 7. The Winchesters remain the same.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Not positive I understand what you're saying here, but you know that if your tube is empty you have to have it out (with the 'NO AMMO' sign up) in order to refill it, right? As soon as you pick up a pack you'll reload.

I know this, but it's still stupid. I should be able to pick up more grenades when I have my rifle in firing mode. The same applies to the Thumper and RPG-7.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait a minute, when did cover and concealment become bad?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xaev wrote: »

I know this, but it's still stupid. I should be able to pick up more grenades when I have my rifle in firing mode. The same applies to the Thumper and RPG-7.

You don't have to have the tube out. The reason Scav sometimes seems not to work is because if the ammo reserve (not in-gun) is full on the weapon you have equipped you won't pick up the bag.

e.g. If I have 120 rounds remaining in my SCAR reserve and have fired my M203s I can run over a bag all day and get nothing.

If I have 119 rounds in my reserve and have fired my grenades stepping on a bag will give me 1 bullet, one M203 grenade, and 1 of whatever else I'm missing.

You can pick up those grenades without switching, you will go through the reload animation if you switch to it while it's empty.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I agree. I've been killed several times because I was refilling my tube and unable to shoot someone. It also applies to the other launchers as well.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »

They nerfed lightweight from 10% to 7. The Winchesters remain the same.

Well now that fucking sucks. Of all the things to nerf, lightweight. Seriously?

The problem with these super speed retard knifing builds is commando, not lightweight. Trying it out in split screen without any lag, the actual distance you gain is pretty ridiculous. A big range boost to an instant, silent kill. Add to that the pro version of not taking any fall damage whatsoever and you have a pretty powerful slot 3 perk.

Maybe I am just butthurt because I use lightweight on my SMG and riot shield builds because I need the mobility. Even with it I'm not exactly raping faces 24/7 like dual 1887s. We'll see how 3% slower works out, but I don't see it making the problem builds any less aggravating.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not like the witch build doesn't have a hard counter either, if you have a heartbeat sensor, you just park your ass in a defensible spot and wait for the screaming maniac to round the corner so you can plug him.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I dunno, call me crazy, but I find akimbo 1887 guy to be far more annoying and dangerous than witch blade knife guy. Especially since those 1887's seem to be able to hit you from 40m away accurately.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I dunno, call me crazy, but I find akimbo 1887 guy to be far more annoying and dangerous than witch blade knife guy. Especially since those 1887's seem to be able to hit you from 40m away accurately.

I agree (again!). Knife guy is pretty easy to counter as long as he doesn't have a huge lag advantage - just equip any short-range weapon and spray away. Akimbo 1887 guy has such a huge advantage on nearly every part of every map that it's just obnoxious.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Its at the bottom of the last page Lord Yod, so I don't know if you caught it, but I explained how to get more ammo for the launchers without having them equipped.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I missed it. Thanks, I'd never noticed it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

When I run around with the thumper I pick up missing grenades from packs w/o it being out but Im not sure about the tube (don't remember)

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    ChairborneChairborne Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I agree with the above on knife builds being tolerable. I actually run Marathon, Cold Blooded, and Commando on mine, though. I move less fast, but I find not showing up on radar allows me to get flanks a lot better. I've been shot plenty of times sprinting around trying to get that flank, too. Usually I don't get much above 1:1 k/d with a witch build but the sheer joy of knifing in the game is what keeps me going.

Dual 1887s are bad, but worth it for the times when I've killed the 1887 guy and kept killing him with his own shotguns.

Jav glitching, however, was the wages of sin. It didn't even make sense: I thought good cheats were supposed to allow you to headshot people from across the map and go 50-0 with AC-130s raining fire from the sky, not hand you a k/d slightly above 1:1 and the scorn of the civilized earth.

Chairborne on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It just makes me mad that these old ass guns are even able to compete in this game. I mean, if you look at the capabilities of a weapon system like the AA-12, it pisses me the hell off when the game makes it an inferior newb weapon. I know that the AA-12 in the game is strong in its own right, but it isnt an accurate representation of what it is capable of. It should be the best Goddamn shotgun in the game. Then to add insult to injury, it gets outshined in every category by a 120 year old shotgun. Ugh.

I know, I know. Lolrealism. I know.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So last night I join a domination game late, walk forward 10ft and turn left to see a guy facing away from me in the process of throwing a care package grenade. Kill him, steal his package, and find out it's an AC130. 15 kills later I'm at the top of the scoreboard and we have all 3 points. 8-)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    It just makes me mad that these old ass guns are even able to compete in this game. I mean, if you look at the capabilities of a weapon system like the AA-12, it pisses me the hell off when the game makes it an inferior newb weapon. I know that the AA-12 in the game is strong in its own right, but it isnt an accurate representation of what it is capable of. It should be the best Goddamn shotgun in the game. Then to add insult to injury, it gets outshined in every category by a 120 year old shotgun. Ugh.

I know, I know. Lolrealism. I know.

I like that of all the novelty weapons, they picked this one. An old shotgun that has effectively one claim to fame: Use in Terminator 2.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yesterday I picked up a dude's Akimbo 1887 and killed 8 people in a row.

This would not have worked as well if I had picked up, say, a KNIFE.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    AC 130s seem like they last like 30 seconds and get me like 2-3 kills tops, I must be doing it wrong.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    AC 130s seem like they last like 30 seconds and get me like 2-3 kills tops, I must be doing it wrong.

Lead your target a lot, switch weapons when they reload. Other than that it depends on how many targets have cold blooded.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You're using flares right? Gotta use the flares. You'll hear when someone locks on you with a stinger.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ChairborneChairborne Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Preorder bonus for MW3 will be a chainsaw bayonet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljd_hUxCfI

Chairborne on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yep using flares. I switch weapons but it feels like I get 2 sets of each ammo then if flys away normally with almost no kills usually the only kill is from the big gun.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If I can't see any actual targets to shoot (because they are cold blooded), I wall just start blasting an area where I know dudes have to walk through. You'll get a lot of kills that way.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Flares. They aren't automatic? Serious?

bejeavis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    Flares. They aren't automatic? Serious?

No. You'll hear the lock on nose (BEEEEEEEEEEEP) and you have to deploy them.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So if I were going to buy one game... which is more realistic? Left 4 Dead or Modern Warfare?

Zombie Nirvana on