Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Enemy team controls all 3 points.

What does my team do?

Hole up in the center building of Derail and camp it out.

Yeah.

Domination drives me nuts sometimes. I'll be assaulting a position, and I'll see a teammate look at the point.... and then just run away without bothering to help me take it.

WHAT THE FUCK

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Enemy team controls all 3 points.

What does my team do?

Hole up in the center building of Derail and camp it out.

Yeah.

Domination drives me nuts sometimes. I'll be assaulting a position, and I'll see a teammate look at the point.... and then just run away without bothering to help me take it.

WHAT THE FUCK

gotta get 'dem kills man

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just went 60:10 on derail hardcore headquarters, and was able to call in two chopper gunners.I love it when people just keep running through the same spot and I can just sit in one spot the entire map. It's such a common spot to camp as a sniper, too, and not a one of them tried to find me and stop me.

Videotape on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A friend bought me the game yesterday and I played through the campaign in one sitting.

I just wanted to come in here to say that the scope, pacing and sheer audacity of this game exhausted me in a way I don't think any game ever has. That is a very, very good thing.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    People doing all this "let my buddy on the other team kill me so i can get a free nuke for... emblems ?" can go suck on my left nut.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've only encountered aimbots about 3 or 4 times in all the time I've been playing. I guess I'm just lucky?

I have encountered possible wall hackers though, guys that just know where to be looking all the time.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daemonion wrote: »
    A friend bought me the game yesterday and I played through the campaign in one sitting.

I just wanted to come in here to say that the scope, pacing and sheer audacity of this game exhausted me in a way I don't think any game ever has. That is a very, very good thing.

Funny. It just left me scratching my head going "What the fuck..."

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope this patch also nerfs the knife a bit, and more importantly fixes some probable lag issues I have. Too many occasions where I'm shooting a guy from a distance, but his counter-shooting still manages to kill me.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've only encountered aimbots about 3 or 4 times in all the time I've been playing. I guess I'm just lucky?

I have encountered possible wall hackers though, guys that just know where to be looking all the time.

Wall hacking can be tough to spot. I look around and cover corners like a sonofabitch, I've been called on wallhacking. But what I don't do is open fire on someone camping behind a thin wall that I'd have no idea is there.

Robman on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really don't understand aimbotting. All you're pretty much doing is running around while the game plays for you.

Is K/D and E-peen really that important to people? And even then most people will probably just call you a douche.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I'm curious, in what way?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The story doesn't make a lot of sense if you stop and think about it.

If you can turn your brain off and just let the game take you along for its fast paced ride, it doesn't really matter.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Hmm...I guess the most accurate way would be in a "It feels like I'm playing a game that was co-produced/directed by Tom Clancy/Micheal Bay" way.

Which isn't a bad thing, persay.

But it does leave you scratching your head afterwards.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, playing hardcore with people who know what they're doing is so much fun...but I always get maybe a quarter of the xp I get from TDM or ground war.

I wish I could think of some way to balance the xp gain in hardcore without it ruining the experience : /.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    Man, playing hardcore with people who know what they're doing is so much fun...but I always get maybe a quarter of the xp I get from TDM or ground war.

I wish I could think of some way to balance the xp gain in hardcore without it ruining the experience : /.

Hardcore HQ Pro.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dusda wrote: »

Hit 70, never prestige.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Wall hacking can be tough to spot. I look around and cover corners like a sonofabitch, I've been called on wallhacking. But what I don't do is open fire on someone camping behind a thin wall that I'd have no idea is there.

Yea, I've been accused of it, too, by guys in hardcore who know I never saw them. Sometimes they can't accept that I can figure out where they're crouching by studying the heartbeat monitor.

Which is in part why I don't understand why actual hackers don't hide their exploits better. The game has plenty of ways you could explain away your behavior.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got a bit of a weird question.

I've heard that the stinger is supposed to come with 2 rockets, but I've never been able to reload the damn thing, confirm or deny ?

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    C4 and Danger Close is a fun thing

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've heard that the stinger is supposed to come with 2 rockets, but I've never been able to reload the damn thing, confirm or deny ?

Yes it has 2. After you fire it, you automatically reload it after a couple seconds. You just have to wait.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Fake reload, just brings the launcher offscreen and you magically have a new missile.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    If you can turn your brain off and just let the game take you along for its fast paced ride, it doesn't really matter.

In hindsight, I suppose I never really cared much for the story, now that I think about it.

Aside from that many "What!'s" and "Holy fuck!'s" with the set-pieces and more memorable moments of the game, and as neat and as entertaining as they were, I now realize I was thinking a lot (more so than in other military shooters) about how awful it would be to have to actually fight in any of those battles, ala waging war through ...

minor story spoiler:
    ...American east-cost suburbia and DC.

I dunno, I guess I was really immersed.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    ChairborneChairborne Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God, I apologize for my performance in the later rounds of TDM tonight. Clearly the only solution is more MW2. Or seppuku.

Chairborne on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only way I've been able to even remotely tolerate the campaign is to skip each and every interlude between missions as soon as the next level is loaded. I mean, come ON
    Russia invades America? Is that a joke? Soviet Union possibly, maybe China, but RUSSIA? Modern Russia? And with a whole slew of brand-new cutting-edge equipment? And those fleets of cargo planes just flew right past all of those anti-air missiles which hit targets you can't even see? And they attack WASHINGTON DC of all places? Great idea, get rid of all the people who would royally screw up a war for politics and simultaneously piss off an entire nation with many millions of people who shoot things for fun.
    Yeah, I know it's not exactly supposed to realistic, but some of the dumbest shit writing I've ever heard of.

And the missions themselves are generally some of the most bullshit-filled missions I've ever encountered in a game. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to give enemies X-ray vision at all times and then surround you with them? The campaign isn't a fight so much as randomly attempting to find the perfect sequence to get through a fight without dying. It doesn't particularly help that the enemies generally focus right on the player once he gets in view and ignore all the invincible NPCs around. I just hit the
    mine field ambush
    and I'm generally wondering if I'm even going to finish the game. You avoid the surprise and then blamo, ambush with most of the guys shooting at you. Pick them off perfectly or die. I'm so tired of HA HA SURPRISE YOU'RE SCREWED moments that I just can't see how it's worth it.

That being said, I'm actually enjoying the multiplayer, which I did not expect. Someone else bought the game and I wasn't really planning on play it, but decided what the hell. Aside from akimbo shotgun combos, I'm finding things to be generally enjoyable. It doesn't even bother me too much when I lose simply because somebody has better equipment; it's usually because I should be thinking more about what I'm doing anyway. The matchmaking system also works remarkably well; is it just me, or does it look like they rented out the Halo 3 matchmaking system? Even it's just a clone of it, at least they're copying something well.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I didn't realize this but Last Stand Pro and Scavenger go really well with Tactical Insertion.

Scavenger lets you get a new TI from a dead enemy, so if your old one was destroyed or you just want to place one in a new location, it's no problem.

Last Stand Pro lets me (assuming the guy who hit me doesn't kill me) drop a TI where I am if needed, so I can quickly pop back in exactly where I was taken out. This isn't always a good idea but very handy at certain times, especially when sniped.

i thought you could not use equipment and grenades and the like while in last stand.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the cheat wrote: »
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I didn't realize this but Last Stand Pro and Scavenger go really well with Tactical Insertion.

Scavenger lets you get a new TI from a dead enemy, so if your old one was destroyed or you just want to place one in a new location, it's no problem.

Last Stand Pro lets me (assuming the guy who hit me doesn't kill me) drop a TI where I am if needed, so I can quickly pop back in exactly where I was taken out. This isn't always a good idea but very handy at certain times, especially when sniped.

i thought you could not use equipment and grenades and the like while in last stand.

Being able to use equipment is what you gain when you go from last stand to last stand pro.

Numi on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    oh i see. yeah, i don't have pro yet.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only way I've been able to even remotely tolerate the campaign is to skip each and every interlude between missions as soon as the next level is loaded. I mean, come ON
    Russia invades America? Is that a joke? Soviet Union possibly, maybe China, but RUSSIA? Modern Russia? And with a whole slew of brand-new cutting-edge equipment? And those fleets of cargo planes just flew right past all of those anti-air missiles which hit targets you can't even see? And they attack WASHINGTON DC of all places? Great idea, get rid of all the people who would royally screw up a war for politics and simultaneously piss off an entire nation with many millions of people who shoot things for fun.
    Yeah, I know it's not exactly supposed to realistic, but some of the dumbest shit writing I've ever heard of.

It helps if you just view it as an alternate reality. I can't imagine trying to view it any other way.
    And the missions themselves are generally some of the most bullshit-filled missions I've ever encountered in a game. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to give enemies X-ray vision at all times and then surround you with them? The campaign isn't a fight so much as randomly attempting to find the perfect sequence to get through a fight without dying. It doesn't particularly help that the enemies generally focus right on the player once he gets in view and ignore all the invincible NPCs around. I just hit the
    mine field ambush
    and I'm generally wondering if I'm even going to finish the game. You avoid the surprise and then blamo, ambush with most of the guys shooting at you. Pick them off perfectly or die. I'm so tired of HA HA SURPRISE YOU'RE SCREWED moments that I just can't see how it's worth it.

If you're playing on Veteran, well, "give enemies X-ray vision at all times and then surround you with them" is basically what that difficulty is.

Alternatively if you're not playing on Veteran and still sucking horribly, stop sucking so horribly :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The best thing in the world is knifing an akimbo 1887 guy and then stealing his 1887s.

Then you can shoot everyone with them. And then they die. Because they're so overpowered. Please nerf them, IW, you idiots.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mmmm the sweet, bitter sound of pancake complaining about OP things in an ironic fashion. How I missed it. (I didn't really)

I just wish other shotguns had less shitty range.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    People doing all this "let my buddy on the other team kill me so i can get a free nuke for... emblems ?" can go suck on my left nut.

Yeah I saw this on rundown FFA before work today. I see one guy chasing another and I crouch down to wait for them to pass a wall to take them out, and as soon as they come into view they both shoot me and continue on their merry way to boost.

I got them good though.

Found them laying down in a corner by the church in the grass, with one dropping a TI and the other knifing him in the face when he spawns. So I hide and keep an eye on the score, wait till the knifer gets six kills, then crouch walk over from behind the knifer. It went like this.

guy spawns, drops ti
    knifer knifes ti guy in the face
    i run over and crouch on top of knifer guy facing the ti, pull out silenced SPAS
    ti guy spawns, takes buckshot to the crotch
    I look down at knifer and blast the back of his head.
    I laugh maniacally

Back in the lobby they told me to leave them alone. I laughed more.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mmmm the sweet, bitter sound of pancake complaining about OP things in an ironic fashion. How I missed it. (I didn't really)

I just wish other shotguns had less shitty range.

I'm not being ironic. I enjoy stealing akimbo 1887s and killing the 1887 user with his own stupidly overpowered weapons over and over. They still need to be nerfed.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I may be a bit late, but I have a question about the story: (which is actually more a series of poorly-worded assumptions and deductions)
    Did Shepard really go and kill the President? Because the guy who you find in the Saferoom at the end of either Escalation or Evacuation (the one where you lase targets for the BTR) has the same model as the guy you protect in Wolverines (Who was in a crashed Air Force 1, and had a lot of Soldiers very dedicated to protecting him).

And the Russian body you find in the house has the 'special tattoos' which Makorov's elite posse have, and Shepard hired Makorov to do the airport massacre (and the door was opened with 'no sign of foced entry' which meant that they must have know the challenge). And the president would have been aware of the fact that Shepard sent Allen to infiltrate Makorov's posse, so he would have had to be eliminated for Shepard's master 'make-everyone-into-patriots' plan, as he would have been able to expose it.

But the body in the saferoom was the President, then why was he in a mansion, behind enemy lines, right next to a MASSIVE concentration of russian soldier who had bloody AA guns set up, with no protection or anything?
    The answer is most probably going to be 'bad writing', isn't it?

Anyhoos, Veteran was a lot easier this time round, because it didn't include any horrible levels like Heat, and pretty much no constantly respawning enemies. And the whole game was better because it didn't have the whole devolve into MW1's method of 'go up to a chest high wall, wait for enemies to poke their heads up, headshot, repeat'. And squadmates were actually useful and advanced a bit without you.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    "The assassination of Witch the Build by the coward Akimbo 1887"

I will make this movie.

<3

Nuzak on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I may be a bit late, but I have a question about the story: (which is actually more a series of poorly-worded assumptions and deductions)
    Did Shepard really go and kill the President? Because the guy who you find in the Saferoom at the end of either Escalation or Evacuation (the one where you lase targets for the BTR) has the same model as the guy you protect in Wolverines (Who was in a crashed Air Force 1, and had a lot of Soldiers very dedicated to protecting him).

And the Russian body you find in the house has the 'special tattoos' which Makorov's elite posse have, and Shepard hired Makorov to do the airport massacre (and the door was opened with 'no sign of foced entry' which meant that they must have know the challenge). And the president would have been aware of the fact that Shepard sent Allen to infiltrate Makorov's posse, so he would have had to be eliminated for Shepard's master 'make-everyone-into-patriots' plan, as he would have been able to expose it.

But the body in the saferoom was the President, then why was he in a mansion, behind enemy lines, right next to a MASSIVE concentration of russian soldier who had bloody AA guns set up, with no protection or anything?
    The answer is most probably going to be 'bad writing', isn't it?

Anyhoos, Veteran was a lot easier this time round, because it didn't include any horrible levels like Heat, and pretty much no constantly respawning enemies. And the whole game was better because it didn't have the whole devolve into MW1's method of 'go up to a chest high wall, wait for enemies to poke their heads up, headshot, repeat'. And squadmates were actually useful and advanced a bit without you.

Long story short?
    That wasn't the president. In one of the inbetween cutscene things I'm almost positive they make a point of telling you the president and all his senior staff had been evacuated to secure bunkers in the midwest or something.

However yes you could say bad writing since as far as we know whoever that was he was nothing more than "blatant plot device". Personally I think he had some kind of goods on
    Sheppard that proved he'd used Markarov to set the whole thing up and thus Sheppard wanted the dead guy "in custody" but Markarov beat him to it.
    If I had to guess I'd say those "important files" you find in the briefcase are turned to ashes as soon as they reach Sheppards hands.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OK dumb question time, but it is something that has been bothering me since...well, CoD4 and WaW.

When I get an airstrike of any kind, and it gives me a little target thing to point where I want to drop my shit, what exactly does that mean? Initially I was under the impression that 'OK this is where all the bombs fall.' Then I noticed that airstrikes fall over a pretty wide area, so at this point I am curious - is the spot you pick where the FIRST bombs fall, the LAST bombs fall, or the exact middle at which point and around which point, linearly, bombs fall? eg. like this:

(BOMBS) - - (o) - - (BOMBS)

where (o) is the targeting cursor rather than a boob.

Compounding this issue I've had, and finally making it worth asking, is this: with the advent of precision airstrikes, I am especially confused. Since you get a target WITH an arrow pointing in a direction, my impression is that the spot you pick is where the very first group of bombs drop, and then every plane that comes in after that/the rest of the stealth bombs fall progressively AFTER that point, in the direction you so choose.

Really the only reason I need to ask is that I've dropped some badass airstrikes only to have 0 dudes die when I literally just had a UAV tell me there were 6 guys there. And I've also dropped an airstrike quite a ways away from me only to have that shit land right on my head on occasion, almost as if it drops a few bombs BEFORE the point instead of starting AT the point.

So yeah someone please explain it to me, as my harriers and attack copters are getting shot down within seconds and I feel I should put an airstrike in my killstreaks somewhere.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it's the middle, but I think all three planes bomb several times along that path. The precision airstrike is only precise because it lets you change the direction it comes in from with the right stick - that's what the arrow means.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Unlocked the "M21" EBR last night. They should have sent a poet. I went 13-2 with it in TDM on High Rise. Every kill was a headshot. I ran into a group of campers with it silenced with ACOG on Sub Base and they ran from me.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I think it's the middle, but I think all three planes bomb several times along that path. The precision airstrike is only precise because it lets you change the direction it comes in from with the right stick - that's what the arrow means.

OK so wait - the arrow is where it ARRIVES from rather than the direction the carpet bombing is laid out?

So if I have (o)> as my cursor, and I lay it out like so:

..........(o)>.
    ................^
    ................Airstrikes BEGIN here rather than end some distance down the line in that direction?

If so I find that very counterintuitive. And that would explain why I'm not getting as many kills as I deserve on my precision airstrikes.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No. Exactly not that. The target is still the middle. The arrow controls direction.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!