As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Accelerating My Life

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Just arm them with AK47s.

They work for every other country in the world.

True story: During the early (at least) segments of the Afghan and Iraqi wars UK troops in the field would ditch their supposedly "advanced" SA-80 rifles for AK-47's discarded by whatever insurgent groups they were fighting at the time. That's how shitty the gears and parts of their rifle were (are).

Shoulda stuck with their FAL variants.

The m-16 also has a similar history of shitty performance since it was introduced, and the only reason the US didn't develop their own ak-47 knockoff, or just use the belgian FAL like every other NATO country, is because AMERICA.

Funny thing about the early variants of the SA-80: One tiny, itsy bitsy fault is that the magazine would just fall out.

Edit: Also seeing as Hugo Boss was originally responsible for the black SS uniforms and began to produce stuff for the rest of the Nazi Party, yeah they were pretty damn fashionable no question about that.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it's funny

after ww2 the army was all, "woah guys it turns out individual accuracy doesn't matter at all in firefights! it's whoever puts out the most ammunition!"

and they were right, for ww2 at least, so the develop the m16

now we got these wars where killin' individual dudes is the name of the game, and we've got snipers in every squad a la the soviets and there's lots of people who say, " never shoulda gotten rid of the m14"

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It isn't so much about removing individual accuracy as recognizing that most combat took place within 100 yards and not necessarily because they thought it was all about putting out a bunch of ammunition. And even though the M16 was a real piece of shit when it first came out, it ended up becoming a top notch rifle, if a bit ill-suited for jungle warfare.

The rifle's apparent failure in Mogadishu was due to the type of rounds they were using, as I recall.

The reason the Taliban and whoever else are sniping at us is because we're too damn good at killing people and being fuck-ass meters away is the only way they can shoot at us without being turned into pulp 100% of the time. And, even though they are shooting at us from long range, the guys we're fighting aren't renowned for their marksmanship.

Stop being so down on the M-16. It's a fine rifle. A few hundred thousand dead VC can't be wrong!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I remember that when reading the Black Hawk Down book PI, they were issued "green-tips" a new type of round. Great for piercing light armour, incredibly bad against foot troops seeing as the bullets just went in and out leaving a clean wound, meaning it took multiple shots to down one enemy combatant.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was a fucking awesome book.

Another annecdote from the book is that one of the Delta boys got made fun of for carrying an M14 with him into combat. They stopped ragging on him as soon as he started shooting people and they didn't get back up.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's one of my favourites, especially the recount of one of the medics to the guy Grimes was based off.

Here he is some Ranger clerk caught in the shit at one of the crash sites, his pants burned away, his legs blackened from multiple explosions, with a minor bullet wound and this medic bandages him up, hands him his rifle then gives him some pain pills and says

"Normally I would not recommend mixing firearms and drug use, but under the circumstances I'm willing to let an exception."

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There's so many cool stories from that.

I'm pretty sure it was Hooten, but he figured that if they got rushed in this compound he would kill them with his rifle until he ran out of ammo, then switch to his shotgun, then his pistol, then his knife, then he would die.

The math on that wouldn't bode well for the Somalis, even if they had got him.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Agreed.

I also loved how Durant tried to pass on a hidden message when told by his captors to write a letter as proof of life, and when they attempted to scribble it out his wife still noticed the four letters he wrote

NSDQ

Night Stalkers Don't Quit

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What show is that from? Looks pretty entertaining.

It's called That Mitchell and Webb Look. It's pretty hit and miss. If you want to see those guys do something that is consistently awesome check out Peep Show.

On topic, I have considered joining the army and being a combat medic. I'm pretty anti-war but the armed forces seem like a good experience, assuming you're not being shot or blown up. People I know who have served seem pretty positive about it. But because of my disability (being female) I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to do the shit I'd actually want to do.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What do you want to do?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Radiation wrote: »
    What do you want to do?

Trigger time baby.

8-)

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Erm, combat medic.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know a guy who joined the marines for "trigger time"

Jesus... He was... intense.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are you sure he didn't mean
    1570822662.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

maybe you misheard

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Where do you live where women are (maybe) not allowed to be combat medics?

Ivar on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It isn't so much about removing individual accuracy as recognizing that most combat took place within 100 yards and not necessarily because they thought it was all about putting out a bunch of ammunition. And even though the M16 was a real piece of shit when it first came out, it ended up becoming a top notch rifle, if a bit ill-suited for jungle warfare.

The rifle's apparent failure in Mogadishu was due to the type of rounds they were using, as I recall.

The reason the Taliban and whoever else are sniping at us is because we're too damn good at killing people and being fuck-ass meters away is the only way they can shoot at us without being turned into pulp 100% of the time. And, even though they are shooting at us from long range, the guys we're fighting aren't renowned for their marksmanship.

Stop being so down on the M-16. It's a fine rifle. A few hundred thousand dead VC can't be wrong!

I'm not saying that the armed forces haven't tried working around the rifle's flaws, but it is still a relatively flawed weapon; for making it standard-issue anyways. There is a reason that the military is on their third project or so trying to replace it, beyond throwing taxpayers' dollars into the toilet like most projects.

Or maybe that is the only reason.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm not saying that the armed forces haven't tried working around the rifle's flaws, but it is still a relatively flawed weapon; for making it standard-issue anyways. There is a reason that the military is on their third project or so trying to replace it, beyond throwing taxpayers' dollars into the toilet like most projects.

The reason is that the military is always working on replacing everything they have.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's probably the one piece of equipment that the US military has had the longest.

Because any improvements a new weapon would bring could more easily be implemented into the M16 and M4 than to field a completely new weapon, and they are.

Hoz on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Those weapons contractors have families to feed, sir.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We had rifles from as early as I think 1968 in my platoon (Although platoons are a different size here)

Although the rifles are basically AK47's built with better craftsmanship and materials. There's stories about Russians crossing the border, sniffing out training camps and trying to sneak into the tents to get a few rifles which sell on the black market for about 3000-5000€. Or that's what we were told, could be lies to ensure that you don't fucking fall asleep when on guard duty.

Again I contribute with something that isn't really relevant, but dammit I wrote all these words and I am not letting them go to waste.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did write a long explanation of the main reasons why we use the m16 over the ak-47, but when I submitted it the server denied me hard.

So I'll just say this. SCAR is where it's at.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The US Army disagrees. Apparently the soldiers that were issued the SCAR for a field test prefer the M4.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Eh. They probably had more experience with the M4 and therefore had better experiences with it.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd say the more likely scenario is that it's just an inferior weapon system.

What's the last time soldiers on the ground overwhelmingly rejected a better working piece of equipment?

Hoz on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My military expierence has showed me that old men hate change and younger officers only want change so that their OERs look better before they can reject change.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pretty much.

Not saying the SCAR is vastly superior to any other firearm, just saying I like it and it's pretty reliable.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the guass rifle from fallout. I want that

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I want the super sledge. I don't care that I would probably be unable to carry it more than 20 feet.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if you aren't on the ground in a combat zone i don't want to hear anything about what kind of rifle is better

i want to hear it from people that know what's what

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    with that said a guy i know that was over at bamc getting his rehab on for three bullets in his leg said that the m16/m4 worked fine when he had it in afghanistan

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have over 9000 VR missions under my belt that are indistinguishable from the real thing. So I have the utmost true opinion facts.

The Klobb is the best rifle.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After playing a considerable amount of ArmA 2 I've come to the conclusion that every american soldier should just use the PKT.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look screw all this assault rifle nonsense, and let's bring the M1 Garand back into action.

I got lotsa experience playing medal of honor and call of duty, so I know what i'm talking about.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the garand is a fine rifle

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Let's just switch over to the Lee-Enfield.

It served the British fine for sixty years and two World Wars, so I don't see a reason to give up on it now.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do fighter pilots listen to Danger Zone all the time?

Yes.

Well, that and Hit Me with Your Best Shot.

Seriously, every cruise video for every squadron, ever, will be set to those two songs. Even cruise videos for helo squadrons that are primarily engaged in VertRep and SAR duties.

I think I missed where the OP decided for or agin' joining the Navy. Did he decide one way or the other?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    navy is the best branch if you can tolerate the 6 month tours. but now a days it's equivalent to the 6 months in iraq.

sub is the best boat type because i'm bias and half of my family worked in subs. not good if you are tall or claustrophobic i guess.

after that, air force is the best due to living conditions, and army is good if you have a job you really want and it's only in the army. coast guard is chill and a good branch. marines uh. don't go marines?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and when you get in, see if you can get your friends to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VHsv738etM

but with gee

this is
    wow
    amazing

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look screw all this assault rifle nonsense, and let's bring the M1 Garand back into action.

I got lotsa experience playing medal of honor and call of duty, so I know what i'm talking about.

second this

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Do fighter pilots listen to Danger Zone all the time?

Yes.

Well, that and Hit Me with Your Best Shot.

Seriously, every cruise video for every squadron, ever, will be set to those two songs. Even cruise videos for helo squadrons that are primarily engaged in VertRep and SAR duties.

I think I missed where the OP decided for or agin' joining the Navy. Did he decide one way or the other?

I've decided to finish school or at least get my AA before I join the navy. I'll use the navy scholarship diddly to go to an actually expensive school instead of just my local community college.

Metzger Meister on