Options

Dogs carrying sticks thread (also [chat])

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it's topical and there's no reason it shouldn't be appropriate to D&D
    friedman-milton.jpg

haha

yeah it would require a little policework, but on the other hand we have long-standing diet and no-carb threads, so it's not really gonna be any worse than those i don't think

yeah, I mean - aside from that potential hangup, I am completely down with the idea

I am certainly much more likely to read the thread if it is here than in H/A

which, uh, may say something about my own level of personal laziness but yeah

Good luck. Would be nice to see it back. That thread just requires a certain level of micro management.

Sheep on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    I am naming my dog corbin dallas if I ever get one

You should put Multi-Pass on his collar

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey - a can of tuna has more mercury than a very small percentage of vaccines used to contain (and even then it was a different mercury molecule) over 10 years ago.

There has not been any mercury whatsoever in any vaccines in any first world nation since the mid 90s.

her thing was about how there is mercury in vaccines and that will give you and your kids the 'tism

i thought there was still some in like the measels vaccine or whatever, but i could be wrong. I haven't researched it. Why? because i do not intend on not getting my kids/self vaccinated for things.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am not excusing anything here. these people are wrong and harmful.

good intentions means I won't call the person evil or other terms like it. they are trying to do the right thing.

I would also have to reconsider if the person was knowingly causing direct harm (like beating the gay out of a kid to save their soul I'd never excuse on any level). these parents obviously don't believe their kids are getting other kids killed through lack of vaccine otherwise they'd stop.

it's a tricky situation. it just seems to me that calling these people vile and whatever else is helping no one. they need to be educated correctly.

I think it's a genuine ethical conundrum that a person may have horrible intentions but end up doing good by accident, while another person may have good intentions but end up doing horrible things.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    one day the paranoid zealots are gonna be right

and where will you be

I'll be in an underground bunker wearing my anti brain scan helmet

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    there are people in this world who are ignorant in a way that they get my pity

children, mostly

when i see a 12 year old boy in a klan hood, i feel sorry for that child, it's not his fault he grew up in Jackson or Savannah or wherever

but an adult has to take stock of their life and responsibility for the stupid beliefs they were raised with, and in our modern era there's only so much a person can use their own ignorance as an excuse.

anti-vaxxers are not jungle tribes or dirt-stained appalachians. they are people who use the internet and watch TV and are capable of reading books.

they choose to remain like that are, in the face of fact to the contrary, in the face of children dying because of their stupid ideas.

so, they can go fuck themselves.

Is there a net benefit from your anger, versus pity? At what point does a person transition from "he has had evil done to him" to "he is evil"?

Adulthood. Unless a person is so impoverished or isolated they don't have access to contrary information, or are so indoctrinated by their absurd notions that they're psychologically incapable of understanding what's wrong with how they see things, then they are still adults who should be thinking critically and rationally and looking at facts as facts instead of only the facts that make them feel warm and fuzzy.

Adults have a responsibility to critical thinking.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I am not excusing anything here. these people are wrong and harmful.

good intentions means I won't call the person evil or other terms like it. they are trying to do the right thing.

I would also have to reconsider if the person was knowingly causing direct harm (like beating the gay out of a kid to save their soul I'd never excuse on any level). these parents obviously don't believe their kids are getting other kids killed through lack of vaccine otherwise they'd stop.

it's a tricky situation. it just seems to me that calling these people vile and whatever else is helping no one. they need to be educated correctly.

I think it's a genuine ethical conundrum that a person may have horrible intentions but end up doing good by accident, while another person may have good intentions but end up doing horrible things.

yeah, I came in kind of bold acting like I knew where to draw the line but it's a fuzzy as fuck situation.

my personal thing is to not react to a difficult choice with anger and whatnot, but for other people that's the most reasonable thing... and I'm not prepared to call them wrong either.

so here I sit on a fence.

Variable on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    guys feral posted in my h/a thread and called me a lamentable drug addict and told me he'd give me some adderall if i sucked his dick

do i have any legal recourse

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    guys feral posted in my h/a thread and called me a lamentable drug addict and told me he'd give me some adderall if i sucked his dick

you could suck his dick

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ITT, we learn that Fluffy thinks that Hitler was neither evil nor vile.

That comparison doesn't work.

It does if you think good intentions are the only thing that doesn't make you evil.

Hitler was aware he was harming the Jews. He didn't care. Anti-vaxxers are not aware of the harm they are causing. They would care if they did.

BULLSHIT.

Children die because of anti-vaccination beliefs. Children of anti-vaxx parents who, because of their parents stupid bullshit, fucking die.

Do you see any of them recanting because of that?

No.

They just make fucking excuses, because that's what self-righteous, paranoid zealots do.

And you're making excuses for them, for reasons I think are bullshit.

Not all Anti-vaxxers are aware of the deaths contributed to them. Not nearly enough of them are active or vocal enough to say their entire community would behave the way you're claiming.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    it's topical and there's no reason it shouldn't be appropriate to D&D
    friedman-milton.jpg

haha

yeah it would require a little policework, but on the other hand we have long-standing diet and no-carb threads, so it's not really gonna be any worse than those i don't think

yeah, I mean - aside from that potential hangup, I am completely down with the idea

I am certainly much more likely to read the thread if it is here than in H/A

which, uh, may say something about my own level of personal laziness but yeah

your click muscles are all atrophied, jake!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

you could suck his dick

he pretty much has to

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

you could suck his dick

so simple

so elegant

Organichu on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can give you legal advice.

It'll cost you though.

:winky:

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    Gooey - a can of tuna has more mercury than a very small percentage of vaccines used to contain (and even then it was a different mercury molecule) over 10 years ago.

There has not been any mercury whatsoever in any vaccines in any first world nation since the mid 90s.

her thing was about how there is mercury in vaccines and that will give you and your kids the 'tism

i thought there was still some in like the measels vaccine or whatever, but i could be wrong. I haven't researched it. Why? because i do not intend on not getting my kids/self vaccinated for things.

Ah, cool.

Well if it ever comes up the fact is that thermisol was a preservative used in some kinds of vaccines until the mid to late 90s. It was based on a different mercury molecule than what causes mercury poisoning and in very tiny amounts (as you noted, less than is in a can of tuna). However, even that has not been used at all for over a decade now.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It does if you think good intentions are the only thing that doesn't make you evil.

Hitler was aware he was harming the Jews. He didn't care. Anti-vaxxers are not aware of the harm they are causing. They would care if they did.

But he was doing it FOR THE WORLD! Because Jews were the evil ones.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man i want a doggy

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Galahad wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Oh I agree. I hate Anti-Vaxxers.

Anti-Vaccination propaganda was actually started by the shadow government which is a puppet government controlled by what popular media likes to refer to as The Greys.

They constantly disrupt society in various ways to keep society as a whole from reaching the technological singularity.

you trollin, bro

Trolls really don't get involved in human affairs very much. The Fae have their own agendas to worry about.

Trolls never get the appreciation they deserve.

Those bridges aren't guarding themselves.

Trolls don't guard bridges. It's just that bridges run over water. Running Water is often indicative of a ley line. Ley lines are perfect for exits to and from the Fae Realms. Nice little hidden alcoves under bridges are even better.

Trolls are big, and grumpy and they get caught coming through a portal and shit happens, bra.

Ludious on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Your only recourse is to get down on your knees, ho.

Seriously though I don't think it's a big deal. What you've described is completely typical of Adderall. And I really don't think it's a big deal to use Adderall occasionally if you have a big day or an important deadline. Just as long as it stays occasional.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Anti-vaxxers are not aware of the harm they are causing

You seriously don't think an anti vaxxer doesn't have the cognitive ability to make the connection that "If my child doesn't get the measles vaccination, he will get the measles"?

If my child doesn't get the measles vaccination, he might get the measles

If my child gets the measles vaccination, he is having poison injected into him

They opt for the possible harm over the definite. It makes a certain sense, from their point of view.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My father's a paranoid jerk-off, with not so much "conspiracy theories" proper but more a bunch of groundless fears and dreads that lead him to do all kinds of stupid things.

Like train my brother and I in insurgency tactics from childhood. That is insane. I wouldn't say it was abusive, but I would say it was un-necessary and fucked up!

So my dad sits on the side of a line where I am annoyed with his bullshit, but still have a bit of pity for him because his whack-ass notions don't really hurt anyone but himself. He doesn't scream it at people, in fact he generally doesn't talk about it and if I wasn't his son and raised with it, I wouldn't know about it either.

He keeps it to himself, so it's not so much threatening as it is sad and pathetic, and if he ever decides to get help, I'll be there to help him.

But, if, for example, his stupid beliefs had harmed me as a child, or he went around shouting his stupid crap and convincing others of it?

Fuck him, man.

Pony on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trolls don't guard bridges. It's just that bridges run over water. Running Water is often indicative of a ley line. Ley lines are perfect for exits to and from the Fae Realms. Nice little hidden alcoves under bridges are even better.

I hadn't heard that before. Fits in with the whole "vampires can't cross running water" thing, though.

Is it a 'real' myth, or something out of Pratchett?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

BULLSHIT.

Children die because of anti-vaccination beliefs. Children of anti-vaxx parents who, because of their parents stupid bullshit, fucking die.

No.

They just make fucking excuses, because that's what self-righteous, paranoid zealots do.

Not all Anti-vaxxers are aware of the deaths contributed to them. Not nearly enough of them are active or vocal enough to say their entire community would behave the way you're claiming.

So they are ignorant of their own fucking movement and lazy to boot?

Yeah...that's not vile at all!

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    one day the paranoid zealots are gonna be right

and where will you be

I'll be in an underground bunker wearing my anti brain scan helmet

No you fool, don't you see

The lizard people invented the anti brain scan helmets

They can hack them and scan your brains!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

I hadn't heard that before. Fits in with the whole "vampires can't cross running water" thing, though.

It probably is, but I just make this shit up on the fly. Cobbled from reading waaaay too many fantasy novels.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You seriously don't think an anti vaxxer doesn't have the cognitive ability to make the connection that "If my child doesn't get the measles vaccination, he will get the measles"?

They opt for the possible harm over the definite. It makes a certain sense, from their point of view.

Different points of view are a hard thing for a lot of people.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    there are people in this world who are ignorant in a way that they get my pity

children, mostly

when i see a 12 year old boy in a klan hood, i feel sorry for that child, it's not his fault he grew up in Jackson or Savannah or wherever

but an adult has to take stock of their life and responsibility for the stupid beliefs they were raised with, and in our modern era there's only so much a person can use their own ignorance as an excuse.

anti-vaxxers are not jungle tribes or dirt-stained appalachians. they are people who use the internet and watch TV and are capable of reading books.

they choose to remain like that are, in the face of fact to the contrary, in the face of children dying because of their stupid ideas.

so, they can go fuck themselves.

Is there a net benefit from your anger, versus pity? At what point does a person transition from "he has had evil done to him" to "he is evil"?

Adulthood. Unless a person is so impoverished or isolated they don't have access to contrary information, or are so indoctrinated by their absurd notions that they're psychologically incapable of understanding what's wrong with how they see things, then they are still adults who should be thinking critically and rationally and looking at facts as facts instead of only the facts that make them feel warm and fuzzy.

Adults have a responsibility to critical thinking.

A nice ideal, but it's not really something that you're made to learn. People are taught "this is how the world is", not "this is how you find out how the world is".

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Why do I love ellipses so much...?

Kagera on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You left out probably the most important part:

If my child doesn't get the measles vaccination, he might pass along that infection to any children he comes in contact with (even passively, measles is extraordinarly contagious) who are too young to have been vaccinated yet. Or elerly people, chemo patients, those with AIDS or anyone else with a compromized immune system.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

It probably is, but I just make this shit up on the fly. Cobbled from reading waaaay too many fantasy novels.

eh, making shit up is far more fun.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Why do I love ellipses so much...?

Because circles are harder to draw?

Feral on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I haven't watched a movie in way too long

and I need to dust my room

two birds? ... but this seat is so comfy

maybe a coffee first

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

BULLSHIT.

No.

So they are ignorant of their own fucking movement and lazy to boot?

Yeah...that's not vile at all!

Their movement is pretty faith heavy, so it could be compared to a religion. Many Christians can't quote scripture, are they lazy? Maybe. One can casually adhere to certain doctrine or take up a philosophy without delving too deep into it. They learn the basics of it, find it agreeable, and expand their knowledge base as they see fit. I wouldn't say that a considerable number of Christians are any less Christian or any more vile because of how much or how little they know about their faith.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't mind being trained in insurgency tactics

As an adult, mind

TL DR on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone who remembers the intelligent design debate should be perfectly aware of how indoctrination can make it extremely difficult for people to change their world views in the face of overwhelming evidence. I didn't really understand it that well until I dated a fundamentalist Christian girl.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So we went from Anti-Vaccers > Roswell > Shadow Governments >Aliens>Trolls> Ley Lines.>Vampires

all in all, a good days work.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    Anyone who remembers the intelligent design debate should be perfectly aware of how indoctrination can make it extremely difficult for people to change their world views in the face of overwhelming evidence. I didn't really understand it that well until I dated a fundamentalist Christian girl.

We're pretty much wired that way. Changing the way we view the world isn't easy for anyone.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm with pony i think

edit:

or am i

i dont know what to think

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hmmm

upenn has a pretty good d.phil poli sci program

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't mind being trained in insurgency tactics

As an adult, mind

I'm sure the army wouldn't mind teaching you some insurgency tactics.

In exchange for an Iraqi vacation.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
This discussion has been closed.