Options

[Hitman] Absolution is available sans sandboxes

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks a bunch. :^:

Just one other thing: do I want SLI enabled, or overwritten?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    That's fair reasoning, but you'd think a Zaibatsu would shell out a bit for a good clean professional hit once in a while.

Additionally, if you're playing a game called Hitman that is all about assassinating people I think you have a fair idea about what kind of game you're in for. And man, it's not like it's sex or something. Dissonance!

Except you'd figure hitmen would be called on dangerous criminals mostly, since these people would be the primary clients (basically, hitmen are called to eliminate the competition). Not some poor misguided dude who went through tough times.

Anyway, I probably would have uninstalled the game if the victims had all been like the one in the tutorial. It doesn't bring me any pleasure to do something I consider to be morally repugnant, even if it's only a game.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    That guy really wasn't as innocent as you're making out.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

He wasn't an out-and-out monster, but he was guilty of negligence and probably avoided jail-time due to tossing money at lawyers.

That said, you did get the sense that the accident genuinely haunted him, and caused his life to spiral further into despair coupled with shady dealings. He was broken to a point that you pitied him, but to 47 it's nothing more than a job.

Personally I would love it if almost every assignment had that level of moral grayness to it, rather than just eliminating the equivalent of James Bond villains.

• Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Well we really know nothing about the accident. I'm presuming that he's innocent, since he wasn't charged with anything.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    That's fair reasoning, but you'd think a Zaibatsu would shell out a bit for a good clean professional hit once in a while.

Additionally, if you're playing a game called Hitman that is all about assassinating people I think you have a fair idea about what kind of game you're in for. And man, it's not like it's sex or something. Dissonance!

Well, we've already seen the United States government, the largest-budgeted entity on the planet Earth, hire 47 at least once.

Forget corporations, the State Department's where its at.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Korlash wrote: »

Well we really know nothing about the accident. I'm presuming that he's innocent, since he wasn't charged with anything.

Well, he was charged. It is mentioned in the intro that "all charges were dropped" and some of the newspaper clippings mention it. I thought we were supposed to read between the lines that his gross negligence was responsible for the accident.
    Even if he was innocent of that accident it doesn't really absolve him from his actions in harboring a drug lab on his property after the fact.
    At the very most, I think the decision to kill him could be described as "morally ambiguous" not repugnant.

But I never lost any sleep over it. 47 is a hired killer and it's a game. This game never struck me as attempting to force the player to confront moral issues.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    All the killings are morally repugnant. You're not supposed to kill people.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can accept killing overall benign people, and certainly people who have otherwise followed the spirit of the law.

Look at Vinnie. In America, he's probably a morally upright citizen, cooperating with the FBI, furthering the reach of the law (in a good way), living a nice, legal, upper-class lifestyle in surburbia. Killing him is just another job. The fact that, in Cuba, he was probably criminal mafioso scum, responsible for untold amounts of theft, murder, and suffering just sweetens the deal.

That being said, I wouldn't mind one mission that puts you up against a seeming paragon of the community, someone who hasn't apparently done anything reprehensible, but does have the enemies to warrant the mission in the first place. As a twist. As Professor Snugglesworth said, moral grayness, when done right, could be very entertaining in this setting.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So it turns out the reason I couldn't adjust the graphic values in the options was because I had to hold and drag the small white squares. Okay.

But now there's a new problem: maxing everything results in a mostly black screen.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558661528646067832/A28DC1E3783ED2C8FA82CC0C9634AEC4C3A3CA51/

Sure, that might be cool as a Sin City type deal, but I can't see shit, captain. Help?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I wonder if that has to do with your current video drivers (older Hitman games disagreed with specific drivers as well).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It actually turned out (thanks Steam forums!) that the game won't let you have AA and PostFilterLOD at the same time.

I'm not sure which would look better, but for now I stuck with AA, although going to the maximum (8) slows the game down a bit, so I've got it set on 4.

That's one issue solved, but I'm having another where I get no sound during the cutscene in the tutorial level where you talk to the gate guard.

Slowly trying to iron out these bugs along with the other games I got in the sale. Old games....

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Finally managed to find this thread again. The search function on these forums is completely useless compared to Googling for threads.

That aside, a full playthrough of the first mission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf3dPKYf1E

Suriko on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So...Nolan North stars in Hitman: Conviction?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Go and play the first level of Blood Money and tell me what you think about the game based on that

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Then perhaps they should use another level to promote their game, that's representative of the game? Or just not make the first level so linear, which was something people disliked about Blood Money, so it's odd to see them repeat it.

Either way, aside from the linearity of the map which may or may not be true of the other levels, there was a lot that was good about this. The way the engine handled the amount of people at the end was very nice, and bodes well for future levels incorporating crowds. Also got a kick out of
    The camera panning to the assault rifles near the end, making me roll me eyes and get ready for another action sequence, only to... have him eat a donut. That right there. That's Hitman.

X-ray vision is still dumb though.

Suriko on
  • Options
    The X Ray vision is dumb, but I don't care because I play on professional so I'm never going to see it.

• Options
    Jesus though that voice is awful

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That aint the original Hitman VA. I think. Also, Xray D:
    But I guess its optional so all is not lost there. Hopefully its a tutorial level of a sort so the regular freeform, open maps are somewhat still in.

• Options
    I thought they might find someone who wasn't awful

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    "Bong picked up."

Does every game need to have Detective Mode now? How exactly are they justifying this?

Say what you will about Blood Money's first mission, it at least demonstrates the basic premise, the "ideal" of the game, namely to infiltrate an area, eliminate the target, and then egress. The more elegantly, quietly, and efficiently the better, though of course if you want to Rambo the whole thing you can do so.

This mission would give the impression that all of the new game is going to be playing Predator with large groups of mooks, Arkham Asylum/Deus Ex-style. I hope that isn't the case.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah that x-ray mode is ridiculous. It even gives you the enemy paths, making it impossible to fuck up. I'll never use it.

Seems like there are lethal and non-lethal takedowns, though. He knocked one guy out before fiber wiring the other. If I'm forced to kill any cops I'll be upset. It was pretty disgusting and un-hitman like watching him execute them for no reason. Like the fazano guy he took hostage. Just knock him out instead of breaking his neck.

Also, the voice is awful. Bateson was leagues better.

Aside from those complaints, it's a pretty badass opening level. The ending was perfect.

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Aw what, no Bateson (apparently not of his choosing) and no Jesper Kyd? Whaaaaat.

As for X-Ray, I'll be treating that the same as runner's vision in Mirror's Edge: a non-canon handicap for people who aren't me.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I see they're using the inception soundtrack

edit: I know that Conviction comparisons are clichéd but damn

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Halfhand wrote:
    If I'm forced to kill any cops I'll be upset. It was pretty disgusting and un-hitman like watching him execute them for no reason. Like the fazano guy he took hostage. Just knock him out instead of breaking his neck.

I had the same reaction, but I'm not going to criticize the game just because the person playing it in the video chooses to be sortof a douche. Assuming you do get a lethal/non-lethal choice and aren't forced into inflicting collateral casualties.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Blood Money tutorial did force you to kill people other than your target (though they were thugs, not cops). I think that was pretty much the only mission since the first game that did though.

Well (Blood Money Ending Spoilers)...
    ...other than Blood Money's epilogue I guess since he wasn't contracted to kill all those people, but that's kind of a special case.

Though in this video I thought showing his face to a room full of cops while he held another cop hostage did seem a little amateur for Agent 47 (speaking of which, I wonder if Notoriety will be back?). Of course, the video was also a little too scripted to even be the tutorial level (some of the things he did basically required knowing all the enemy scripts in advance, which you wouldn't expect someone to do in a tutorial level) so I'm leaning towards the whole thing just being a level they modified to show off a bunch of gameplay elements.

• Options
    47 canonically does not give much of a fuck about killing innocent people

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    When that video first started I thought the gameplay looked very similar to deus ex human revolution. When he jumped up and yanked that cop in to the hole I was convinced otherwise. I don't like the idea of the xray vision and I'm curious what premise its even based on. There hasn't been anything like that in a Hitman game and I'm not sure there should be. The series started off challenging for a reason.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Well the x Ray feature makes sense when you view the game as a consumer product. They want to sell it to as many people as possible and unfortunately that means making it much more accessible. Easier even. That said it is an optional feature and remember, the only way to play Hitman games is on the hardest difficulty.

My only concern right now is the way the maps are going to be broken down into segments. Could mean much more linearity.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    It was pretty disgusting and un-hitman like watching him execute them for no reason. Like the fazano guy he took hostage. Just knock him out instead of breaking his neck.

To be fair these are Chicago cops...

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    If this was a level in Uncharted or some other action game, I'd probably be pretty impressed, but this doesn't look like Hitman. Hopefully it's just a shit level, but if this is how they're choosing to represent their game, it's a bit worrying.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Looks pretty fucking fantastic to me. I can definitely see how people would react negatively to some of the stuff in this video. Some of it doesn't look like Hitman. But it still looks great.

But god damn I am tired of the Inception "boom".

• Options
    edited November 2011
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4923-Hitman-Absolution-Run-For-Your-Life-trailer

Ok now that they're talking about "fuelling your disguise powers" I officially wash my hands of this game.

Edit: alright I spoke too soon. Apparently you can use instinct to bluff more effectively in disguise.

Tube on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah, good to see that just using a disguise isn't gated or "fueled". That part at least seems to be more or less untouched. But the addition of bluffing and using the environment to enhance your disguise (doughnuts!) is interesting.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So basically he'll just be unconvincing as a clown and whatnot? maybe he should cover up the goddamn tattoo.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    Yeah that x-ray mode is ridiculous. It even gives you the enemy paths, making it impossible to fuck up. I'll never use it.

Seems like there are lethal and non-lethal takedowns, though. He knocked one guy out before fiber wiring the other. If I'm forced to kill any cops I'll be upset. It was pretty disgusting and un-hitman like watching him execute them for no reason. Like the fazano guy he took hostage. Just knock him out instead of breaking his neck.

Also, the voice is awful. Bateson was leagues better.

Aside from those complaints, it's a pretty badass opening level. The ending was perfect.

I am really pissed about the Bateson thing. The Jesper Kyd and the Diana thing pissed me off as well, but I could accept it. But this just really gets my goat.

At least the Max Payne developers were smart enough to get the same VA back. I was really excited about this game. And I will still buy it. I am a series addict.

But I will buy it second-hand at gamestop.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Shit ton of new info, I don't feel like copying links so here's the Gaf post, Seems like a lot of people's concerns should be swayed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34183192&postcount=1

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    All the killings are morally repugnant. You're not supposed to kill people.

b-but...this means boondock saints isn't a reliable source of opinions on ethical justice!

actually, in all honesty, if the game were entirely about killing people who were sympathetic characters, it would be a very different and much more mentally exhausting experience

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    Halfhand wrote:
    It was pretty disgusting and un-hitman like watching him execute them for no reason. Like the fazano guy he took hostage. Just knock him out instead of breaking his neck.

To be fair these are Chicago cops...

I don't buy it. They were way too nice.