As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition and iPad Version coming 2014!

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    johnwing wrote: »
    Damn, this game sounds awesome, and exactly like something I've been wanting forever.

Wake me up when it's on anything besides OnLive.

Does OnLive install some malware on the computer or something? I don't understand the hesitation to install Onlive on one's computer. Or is it that people don't want to register or give away their email account to another third party?

I'm not interested in using my computer to remotely control another computer playing a game. Or whatever it does. For me, personally, it is pointless thus I don't care about it. I think the idea is neat and it's probably damn useful for a lot of people, but I'm not interested.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    This looks really cool, sadly Onlive isn't compatible with my OS (XP 64 bit pro) so no demo for me.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    OK, So I got through the tutorial, and started up my first game. My first random jump led me right to the surface of a sun, but before the jump could power up again, a pirate started attacking me and blasted my engine. The heat from the sun was starting fires in random rooms of the ship, which burnt a majority of the O2 that was left before a solar flare wiped out the oxygen system. I'm forced to open up some airlocks to kill the fires so I can safely send a repair crew to the destroyed systems, so now instead of burning to death, everyone is asphyxiating. Meanwhile, the little remaining energy I have left is being diverted to weapons so I can fend off the pirate ship.

Eventually, the pirate explodes. Just in time for power to completely cut out. Everyone except the pilot has burned to death or asphyxiated, and all the rooms are dark. In one last half-assed attempt, I send the pilot running to the back of the ship to try and finish the repair work that others had started. He makes it halfway before succumbing to the icy grip of space.

This is fantastic.

Damn you.

I'm sold.

I didn't need to do other things anyway.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be all over this when it comes out or when a demo is available somewhere not onlive.

• Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    This looks great, I need more space games. Hopefully this will come out on another digital distributor and I can try it out.

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

350% of goal in less than a day with a month to go. Bonkers!

I predict a wave of game dev kickstarters coming soon of wildly varying pedigree and quality.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I predict a wave of game dev kickstarters coming soon of wildly varying pedigree and quality.

We are also probably going to see a few very well crafted scams.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    My current game was going good until a pirate started a fire in sensors. I opened the airlocks to vent it... Then took a hit to door control, leaving half the ship - including the damaged door control room open to space with no way to close it.

now I have two crew trapped in the cockpit and one in weapons.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Add one to the waiting for non-Onlive version bin.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Damn, the game looks really fun but I've run into the Onlive stumbling block too. It seems to think my internet isn't cool enough to even start up. I'll give it a shot on campus and hope for the best, I want to drop $25 for some sweet sweet beta access, but want to make sure the game is as awesome as it looks first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Annnd Onlive won't work with my campus internet.

Why isn't there a standalone demo for this, anyway?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I think OnLive is an appropriate way to demo a video game by a small developer, so that they can get their game out there without falling prey to other copycat companies (Like the Yeti Town/Triple Town fiasco). When you release a standalone demo, there's a risk that someone is going to steal your shit for their own purposes. It also takes a lot of resources to make a demo, and given that these guys are seeking funding from Kickstarter, they probably don't have those resources.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DroppinDroppin Registered User new member
    "Kickster: This project will be funded on Sunday Apr 1, 1:00am EDT."

You have been Trollololol'd

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah it seems like without Onlive we wouldn't have the demo at all. I don't agree that it's a good platform for a small developer at all, given its extensive list of restrictions (80% of the world being too far away from its servers, the 20% that does fall within it maybe not having enough internet for its tastes), but in this case the developer looks like they just put it up there because they're featuring a bunch of indie game demos right now. I eagerly anticipate a proper beta-demo that doesn't require an awesome internet connection for a 2d roguelike-like.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerroricTerroric Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dworfs in space!

Err...

This game is amazing! I can't wait for a non On-Live version.
    (Edit to clarify: I don't enjoy the laggy mouse and sometimes my internet drops out)

Terroric on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Squids official edict: non onlive shall now be referred to as nonlive

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I really really really hope they'll release a standalone demo sometime soon. The Kickstarter interest alone should show that people are really interested in this game. Onlive, while useful, is probably restricting a reasonably large percentage of people who would otherwise play this game.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I really really really hope they'll release a standalone demo sometime soon. The Kickstarter interest alone should show that people are really interested in this game. Onlive, while useful, is probably restricting a reasonably large percentage of people who would otherwise play this game.

I'm sure they will. Once the hookers clean up the coke and go home.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2012
    Boo. I hate getting to Kickstarter things late and missing all the really awesome rewards. I guess I won't donate that $1000. Oh well.
    I wasn't actually considering donating $1000. Maybe $100.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Probably going to start another set of $100 ones, just need to figure out a reward. Sit tight :D

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Looks neat, can't try it because I live in the middle of nowhere. Onlive is not kind to slow connections.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Hilarious, it hadn't hit the goal when I linked it.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think it should be said, I am not comfortable with early access / beta testing costing more than the final product. The two devs, jarmustard who I think is Justin Ma and zasdarq who I think is Matthew Davis that make up the entire as yet unnamed team, seem to have differing views on why they chose to have closed beta access for more monies.
    Quite frankly, we were worried about the logistics of organizing a beta with a large number of testers. It was a higher price point to make the beta more manageable as a two man team.

Comment by jarmustard on February 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm
    Hello! We did indeed consider putting a limit to the backers for the Beta, but we decided that we’d tackle the problem of more people when we came to it. And with extra funds, it just makes it more possible to handle a larger load! Justin’s response was not entirely accurate. The main reasoning is that the player is getting early access to the game. Describing early Beta players as “QA Testers” isn’t entirely fair… if you play the demo, you’ll see that the game is currently in a very stable and playable state.

Comment by zasdarq on February 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

But that doesn't mean I didn't back em with $10.

Also add my name to the list of nonLive, enjoying the stories from those who are playing the 30 minute demo though.

Edit: $42,456 so far, 785 with closed beta access out of 1,681 backers.

Kickstarter is really starting to click with me, still feel cautious about kicking anymore than say $15 at a project so far.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Droppin wrote: »

Oooorrr, maybe it's just a coincidence because they wanted to fund it until the end of the month and timezone calculation caused it to slip an hour into the next day. Perhaps we can trust a guy who has been here for 2.5 years, is active in the Steam thread, got permission to post this thread from the Mods, and knows the devs... over someone who just signed up yesterday to make a pithy comment about this being a "Trollololol" "Kickster." Possibly.

Anyway, when you were first talking about this game, cd, I heard Roguelike in space and I was like "eh, okay, sounds neat." But then you said something about Oregon Trail and I subscribed to this thread. I think this will be one of those games that the Steam thread buys and gifts to everyone.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Droppin wrote: »

Oooorrr, maybe it's just a coincidence because they wanted to fund it until the end of the month and timezone calculation caused it to slip an hour into the next day. Perhaps we can trust a guy who has been here for 2.5 years, is active in the Steam thread, got permission to post this thread from the Mods, and knows the devs... over someone who just signed up yesterday to make a pithy comment about this being a "Trollololol" "Kickster." Possibly.

Anyway, when you were first talking about this game, cd, I heard Roguelike in space and I was like "eh, okay, sounds neat." But then you said something about Oregon Trail and I subscribed to this thread. I think this will be one of those games that the Steam thread buys and gifts to everyone.

That is entirely my intent. When I spoke with Tube he told me not to mention the kickstarter and I did not, we both know that anyone navigating the site would find it. I honestly just wanted to talk about this because it was amazing to see an idea grow and become this. I really enjoyed the hours we talked about the project in its early stages and to see all the hard work pan out into something really great. I can't wait to see the success of the following months.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah guys, this is definitely legit. I would've made an FTL OP like, a month ago if I hadn't been jailed. I've had my eye on the game for a while. The Kickstarter is a new development but the game is more than just a scam. Hell, being on OnLive and in the IGF should be pretty clear evidence that it's real.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    The Kickstarter is a new development but the game is more than just a scam.

What, like a Ponzi scheme?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The wheel of Onlive fate decided to spin in my favor today and now thinks my internet is in fact the coolest. I managed to play the game and it's definitely awesome, having lots of fun getting blown up by rebels and occasionally killing stuff as well. I'm definitely buying it when it comes out, and I may drop the $25 for beta access depending on finances this month.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is the music in that video in the op actual music from the game, because I like it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Damn, rebel warships don't screw around. That'll teach me to show mercy to those poorly-armed rebel transports. I'd expect a little consideration for not mercilessly raiding them.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Damn, rebel warships don't screw around. That'll teach me to show mercy to those poorly-armed rebel transports. I'd expect a little consideration for not mercilessly raiding them.

That which does not kill me has made a tactical error.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Is the music in that video in the op actual music from the game, because I like it.

Yes. It is super well done =)

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Installed OnLive to give the demo a spin. It's really fun and right up my alley. This is a thing I will buy when it comes on Steam.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Blargh. I've played through the demo several times now, and I just want more..

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Blargh. I've played through the demo several times now, and I just want more..

I keep playing it also. For some reason it stays interesting. I like how even the strongest ship could be taken down with just one good hit to the shield generator and things could turn around for the worse. I once fought a lowly pirate that I thought I could dispatch quickly. One strong hit with a missile on my shield generator and my shield of 2 layers went down with it. Not only that it set the whole chamber on fire. So I sent 3 of my guys to put it out. Since my shield was down their laser shoots down anything that it targets. First my weapons and then my O2 chamber. It went bad to worse within seconds. I couldn't even jump because my engine went down next. All of this because one missile hit my shield generator.

Sure buy when it comes out on Steam.

johnwing on
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    The god of Onlive has blessed me this day, and I can finally play this demo. First impressions?

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS ADDICTIVE. This game is seriously great, and I'm really looking forward to the final product. :D

• Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    Yep. I will buy this.

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I checked this out on OnLive last night and it's pretty neato. The final game is supposed to have more content/options, and even in this limited state it's lots of fun. Putting out fires by opening doors is great.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Ok, I took the plunge with onlive, and this game is awesome. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    really fun game, wish the demo wasn't done through onlive though, it's really laggy for me :(

Probably going to throw it some money via kickstarter, getting it sooner via a beta would be great.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms