As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    so i just finished jonathan strange and hoo boy that book fucking ruled and i wanted to tell you about it

yessss I love that book so much
    eventually i am going to run out of new fantastical books that also feature intertextual footnotes and i am going to be sad

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    so I'm like 16 pages into The Casual Vacancy

there are a lot of swears in this book

YaYa on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It isn't J.K. Rowling trying to come off edgy is it?

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It isn't J.K. Rowling trying to come off edgy is it?

pretty much, so far

• Options
    woooooow

okay, first use of 'cunt' on page 15

• Options
    never ceases to amaze me how willingly people fall into the 'okay, time to do something PROFANE to erase all memory of my child-friendly work!' cliche
    because it's not like that has ever backfired and come off as contrived and stupid or anything

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    one of my favorite lines from a review for the latest rowling book compared it to Raffi making a death metal album

• Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I don't know if Rowling needs to do that, though. I mean, she can pretty much do what she wants at this point. I doubt she's making the book profane just for some ulterior purpose of re-branding herself.

Besides, she recently mentioned that she intends to revisit the Harry Potter universe, regardless.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    I want it to be good! I really do

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

so what's that book about, anyway

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

so what's that book about, anyway

I'm not quite sure yet

it looks like some sort of government or council official in a small town dies and it's about people's reaction to his death and the ensuing race to fill his position?

• Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    And apparently, someone's being a total cunt.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    i myself am a silly goose

ignore this post

Antimatter on
  • Options
    umm

Anti

wrong thread?

• Options
    eff

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    one of my favorite lines from a review for the latest rowling book compared it to Raffi making a death metal album

i'd listen to a death metal album by raffi though

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

i'd listen to a death metal album by raffi though

I was thinking the same thing.

• Options
    Drew-B wrote: »
    I don't know if Rowling needs to do that, though. I mean, she can pretty much do what she wants at this point. I doubt she's making the book profane just for some ulterior purpose of re-branding herself.

Besides, she recently mentioned that she intends to revisit the Harry Potter universe, regardless.
    well i mean that's the thing. no one needs to do it, because it's a cheesy and calculated move to make
    that kind of self-conscious fretting over your canon and how to diverge from your perceived image is rarely a productive endeavor for an artist to make

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I reckon Cookie Monster would do some pretty good death metal.

broken image link
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    At work and I found a box of free, formerly loved books. I picked through for ones I thought I might like, including one called Silverglass: Mistress of Ambiguities.

One of the praises on the back cover says: "It's fun to see a tall, handsome, hard-fighting, hard-drinking barbarian hero--who is female." --Piers Anthony

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    god piers anthony is such a fucking creep

i do want to find out what the deal is with being the mistress of ambiguities though

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I read a totally scathing review of Rowlings' new book in the... New York Times? Financial Times? Anyway don't think I'll be picking that one up.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    So I've been resistant to picking up an e-reader, because I love the feel of real books and still have a fat stack of books to get through, but the amazon kindle paperwhite looks so damn neat and relatively cheap and the screen even feels like paper, if the reviews are correct. Plus I have a prime membership, so I can take advantage of their book lending program. Hrm, seriously debating now. Any personal experiences with kindles specifically? I know people have gushed about em here, but dang the book thread is thick and I'd rather not backtrack through bunches of pages and trust y'all's opinion

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    I also love that it has a finish to read feature that uses your reading speed and estimates the time needed to finish a chapter, that is so dang neat

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I read a totally scathing review of Rowlings' new book in the... New York Times? Financial Times? Anyway don't think I'll be picking that one up.

I don't know about the Financial Times, but the New York Times reviewers tend to be huge snobs

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really enjoy reading on my regular non backlit kindle.

It's really nice, light, easy on the eyes and easy to hold.

It's actually preferable to an actual book to me now since I don't have to hold both sides of it just hold it in one hand and relax.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The selection of Amazon Prime lending library titles is awful

• Options
    yeah pretty much

you should see if your local library has an ebook lending program set up

mine does, it's pretty good

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    So I've been resistant to picking up an e-reader, because I love the feel of real books and still have a fat stack of books to get through, but the amazon kindle paperwhite looks so damn neat and relatively cheap and the screen even feels like paper, if the reviews are correct. Plus I have a prime membership, so I can take advantage of their book lending program. Hrm, seriously debating now. Any personal experiences with kindles specifically? I know people have gushed about em here, but dang the book thread is thick and I'd rather not backtrack through bunches of pages and trust y'all's opinion

I love mine and carry it with me everywhere. I have a Kindle Fire and the only complaint I would have (since you probably need a negative for a balanced opinion) is that it's not just an e-reader, so in sunlight there is the same glare you might have on your laptop/cell phone. It doesn't bother me, but I know it has stopped a few people from wanting to purchase it instead of just an e-reader.

I read a lot more now because I can have several book selections available to me at a time which is great for travel and a godsend when you commute everyday.

I'm also still a nerd about the feel of books too, so for series that I really love or textbooks that I want to make handwritten notes in, I'll still purchase the physical copy of it.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    yeah pretty much

you should see if your local library has an ebook lending program set up

mine does, it's pretty good

I finally tried the Houston library one, it was not as easy as buying a book from Amazon. Had to manually transfer the book file over USB for some reason. Other than that, it was super easy. I will definitely use it more in the future.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I have the regular plain jane cheapest possible kindle and I really like it, especially that it's small and light enough to just constantly keep it in my purse so if I have to wait for something unexpectedly I still have my book available to me. The only negative I can think of is that it has to be charged so infrequently that I accidentally packed my kindle charger into storage when we moved and now I'll have to sort through all my shit to find it. I've had it five months and I've had to do a single hard reset because it froze up.

• Options
    Hrmmm good info dudes! Thanks!

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Plus it's so great to be able to carry around a lot of books without adding like fifty pounds to your bag

• Options
    I have the nook simple touch and it's pretty great. I got this tweed fabric cover for it which is pretty swank.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    If you want Sci-Fi that'll make you feel bad I'd highly recommend Vonnegut.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm not usually one for autobiographical celebrity books, but am still really tempted to buy this

513JwQVvyVL._SS500_.jpg

David Mitchell, who you may know for his inappropriate anger on every TV panel show except Never Mind the Buzzcocks, his look of permanent discomfort on C4 sex comedy Peep Show, his online commenter-baiting in The Observer or just for wearing a stick-on moustache in That Mitchell and Webb Look, has written a book about his life. As well as giving a specific account of every single time he's scored some smack, this disgusting memoir also details: * the singular, pitbull-infested charm of the FRP ('Flat Roofed Pub') * the curious French habit of injecting everyone in the arse rather than the arm * why, by the time he got to Cambridge, he really, really needed a drink * the pain of being denied a childhood birthday party at McDonalds * the satisfaction of writing jokes about suicide * how doing quite a lot of walking around London helps with his sciatica * trying to pretend he isn't a total **** at Robert Webb's wedding * that he has fallen in love at LOT, but rarely done anything about it * why it would be worse to bump into Michael Palin than Hitler on holiday * that he's not David Mitchell the novelist. Despite what David Miliband might think

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    that's funny because i came in here to post about cloud atlas

• Options
    edited October 2012
    i read regular books on the reg but i carry my kindle everywhere with me because it's easier to carry

i'm going to a thing at the store and i'm going to have time to kill? no biggie, throw the kindle in the bag

doctor's office? kindle. dentist? kindle.

i love it so much

plus i can carry a crazy variety on there! i've got everything from the complete lovecraft to warhammer 40k to the book of the new sun to lord of the rings to raymond chandler on there

and last night i blew 20 bucks picking up my favorite chris crutcher books on the kindle store because it'll make my yearly rereads of them that much easier. running loose (which i actually haven't read in a while), stotan, ironman, and whale talk were all really important to me when i was 17, particularly the last three, and every time i read them i'm reminded them of exactly why that was

Buttlord on
  • Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    I have the regular plain jane cheapest possible kindle and I really like it, especially that it's small and light enough to just constantly keep it in my purse so if I have to wait for something unexpectedly I still have my book available to me. The only negative I can think of is that it has to be charged so infrequently that I accidentally packed my kindle charger into storage when we moved and now I'll have to sort through all my shit to find it. I've had it five months and I've had to do a single hard reset because it froze up.

if you have a cellphone with a USB charger you can use that cord instead

same plug

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    My buddy just told me about the book the last policeman, where the premise is a guy investigating a murder, in a world where an earth destroying asteroid is 6 months away. And I am damn, that is a goddamn premise

This discussion has been closed.