As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    so about three pages in

i feel entirely justified in the whole "that's called being fucking weak" thing

you know how long they stay broken up?

five days

five

days

before she gives him another chance

the first time she sees him everything goes right back to how it was

it's a horrifying portrayal of an abusive relationship, except even moreso because the woman is turned on by the fact that she's being abused

Buttlord on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Ok that's pretty funny. Carry on!

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    anti

you have to know that watching that after reading the book makes it much, much funnier

• Options
    gilbert gottfried screaming clitoris is my new ringtone

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »
    so about three pages in

five days

five

days

it's a horrifying portrayal of an abusive relationship, except even moreso because the woman is turned on by the fact that she's being abused

christ

chhrrriiiisssttt

well I think by the end of the series she does properly dump him so I guess that's something

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    anti

you have to know that watching that after reading the book makes it much, much funnier

i dont want or need that kind of payoff because it's already hysterical

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    anti

i dont want or need that kind of payoff because it's already hysterical

you have no idea

• Options
    MY MOUTH DROPS OPEN

"KINKY FUCKERY?" I SQUEAK

- gilbert gottfried

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i've posted it roughly a brazillian times so just gonna put it behind a spoiler

i love using "brazilian" as a unit of measurement
    i think it was one of those conan talking pictures thing with political celebrity saying ridiculous things, dubya if i recall correctly

• Options
    so I looked up what happens in the other two Fifty Shades books

whoa

whooooooooaaaaa

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is it intercourse?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Is it intercourse?

yes

• Options
    It's intercoarse.

Christian grows a beard.

(Disclaimer: I really have no clue what happens)

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    so about three pages in

five days

five

days

christ

chhrrriiiisssttt

well I think by the end of the series she does properly dump him so I guess that's something

Hahaha nope. I couldn't get through the third one, I gave up on it because the amount of times they BOTH call Christian's biomother 'crack whore' just really put my teeth on edge combined with the fact that she's constantly trying to "cure" his kink and just... ugh. My sisters are both like "oh but in the third book they totally resolve that and Christian gets over his childhood abuse and there's a happy ending" but I just seriously could not handle it anymore. Also come on can't we have a main character who likes kink without it stemming from wanting to abuse his mother or something?

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    so about three pages in

five days

five

days

christ

chhrrriiiisssttt

Hahaha nope. I couldn't get through the third one, I gave up on it because the amount of times they BOTH call Christian's biomother 'crack whore' just really put my teeth on edge combined with the fact that she's constantly trying to "cure" his kink and just... ugh. My sisters are both like "oh but in the third book they totally resolve that and Christian gets over his childhood abuse and there's a happy ending" but I just seriously could not handle it anymore. Also come on can't we have a main character who likes kink without it stemming from wanting to abuse his mother or something?

yeah I heard about the whole 'Christian likes abusing Ana because she looks like his mother' thing

literally the worst possible representation of an Dom/Sub relationship!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's really a lot more like a childhood abuse survivor who then seeks partners who will recreate the abuse, feeling that this time they can "fix" him and absolve their childhood trauma.

If the book casually mentioned that Christian reminds her of her father, Ana's (super fucked up) motivations would make a lot more sense.

Although I will say it's a shame that the books are so bad, because "50 shades of gray" is a pretty good title

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

whoa

whooooooooaaaaa

let's hear it

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    guys we should all remember 50 shades started as twilight fanfiction

let that fact permeate your minds as your read it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    So Edward Cullen's mom is a crack whore vampire?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

whoa

whooooooooaaaaa

let's hear it

well

among other things

Ana gets knocked up because she's too dumb to remember to take a birth control pill

she and Christian eventually live happily ever after

and

sigh

apparently, Ana interprets the baby kicking and moving around after her and Christian get it on to mean that 'it already enjoys sex'

also there's all sorts of crazy stuff with the woman who taught Christian to be a Dom as well the aforementioned crack whore mother stuff

essentially Ana is consistently jealous of this much older woman, who Ana refers to as a pedophile, a bitch troll, a witch, blah blah blah

at some point this woman gets a concealed weapon permit

so, let's examine how Ana reacts to this, this is a direct quote from the second book I think
    "She managed to obtain a concealed weapons permit yesterday." [said Christian]
    Oh shit. I gaze at him, blinking, and feel the blood draining from my face as I absorb this news. I may faint. Suppose she wants to kill him? No.
    “That means she can just buy a gun,” I whisper.

uh, so, yeah

then the older woman (Leila I guess) shows up at Ana's apartment to be crazy at her and Christian shows up and basically quells her craziness by being dominant at her

and while this is happening, Ana starts getting jealous of Leila

jealous of the crazy woman who Christian is trying to make sure doesn't beat up Ana because Christian is paying attention to her

oh also when Ana discovers the stuff about Christian's mom and her resemblance to him, her reaction:
    Then it hit me like a wrecking ball. If he's a sadist, he really needs all that whipping and caning shit. Oh fuck. I put my head in my hands. "So it's true," I whisper, glancing up at him, "I can't give you what you need." This is it - this really does mean we are incompatible.

goddammit

this

that is literally how the first book ends too

and also that is not really an appropriate response to that revelation!

sooooooooooooooooooo yeah at the end Ana tells Christian she's pregnant, he bounces for a bit, gets drunk, makes out with Leila, comes back, they get in a massive screaming match during which Ana hopes Christian doesn't touch her because if she feels his contact her panties will just dissolve right there

annnnd fuck I dunno, some other guy kidnaps Christian's sister and Ana somehow fixes that and everyone's happy and they live happily ever after

great

my baby already likes sex!

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    What the fuck

• Options
    I know right

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Wow.

That suuuure sounds like a bestseller.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    guys we should all remember 50 shades started as twilight fanfiction

let that fact permeate your minds as your read it

trust me it was on my mind for both books that I managed to read before I gave up

along with "oh my god, why am I doing this" and "that is not how orgasms work"

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Also not how purchasing guns works

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Oh lordy, I just read "that is not how orgasms work" and my mind came up with:

Morbo: "Orgasms do not work that way! Good night!!"

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My brother and I are interested in reading some good Sci Fi together.

But he doesn't read as much as I do so I wanna ease him into regular reading.

So what books should we try?

• Options
    I, Robot

collection of short stories with a framing story

The Martian Chronicles

short stories that are themed together

Cat's Cradle
    pretty short novel

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My brother and I are interested in reading some good Sci Fi together.

But he doesn't read as much as I do so I wanna ease him into regular reading.

So what books should we try?

It's been a while since I've pimped out Walter Jon Williams

So go read some Walter Jon Williams!

If you can find one of his short story collections especially, but most of his books are good Big Ideas sci-fi, without ever turning into Engineer Sci Fi

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Illustrated Man is a great collection of sci fi short stories

• Options
    Welcome to the Monkey House is a collection of fiction with some short science fiction stories

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    For that matter, I love reading a book where the characters have deeply fucked up unhealthy relationships and think it's just peachy because they're deeply fucked up.

But the author needs to be in on the joke.

yeah

yeah!

also, the writing is just wretched

it's flowery where it should be straight-forward, and it seems like pretty much all actual raw emotion is hidden by constant interior monologuing or shitty metaphor

she learned to write by reading Stephanie Meyer, so...

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Richard Morgan wrote some amazing noir-ish pulp sci-fi. Altered Carbon is the first book.

Neal Asher writes some neat sci-fi. I guess you could most of it post-cyberpunk space opera adventure with a bit of horror. His first novel is Gridlinked.

• Options
    Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    There's an anthology called The Science Fiction Hall of Fame that contains lots of great older SF short stories; it was compiled based on a vote of science fiction writers in the 70s for the best SF stories of all time. The first few stories are from the 30s and feel really dated now, so you might want to skip them on a first read, but pretty much everything in there is excellent. Also, the authors included are pretty much a Who's Who of classic SF, so it may inspire you to look up more of their work!

• Options
    There's an anthology called The Science Fiction Hall of Fame that contains lots of great older SF short stories; it was compiled based on a vote of science fiction writers in the 70s for the best SF stories of all time. The first few stories are from the 30s and feel really dated now, so you might want to skip them on a first read, but pretty much everything in there is excellent. Also, the authors included are pretty much a Who's Who of classic SF, so it may inspire you to look up more of their work!

empty quote, i own the first volume of this

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    so i just finished jonathan strange and hoo boy that book fucking ruled and i wanted to tell you about it

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    @50 Shades stuff

That's book just sounds so bad...that my desire to read it is increasing rapidly.

But...I don't know if my heart could take it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    so i just finished jonathan strange and hoo boy that book fucking ruled and i wanted to tell you about it

yessss I love that book so much

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    The only thing that makes it popular is talking about sex, and one specific (though horrificly represented) is now just a little more socially acceptable

Fox fucking news did a thing on it, in positive light

• Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

whoa

whooooooooaaaaa

let's hear it

well