As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology
a5yj5.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTik6sYT_BE
Transistor invites players to wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as they explore a stunning futuristic city. We’re designing our next game to seamlessly integrate thoughtful strategic planning into a fast-paced action experience, complete with our studio’s signature melding of responsive gameplay and rich atmospheric storytelling. All of us from the Bastion development team are working together again on this new project, with the aid of a handful of talented new people who’ve joined us since Bastion’s launch.

In Transistor, players assume the role of a young woman who gains control of a powerful weapon after a mysterious group of assailants nearly kills her with it. Now she must fight from street to street against forces that will stop at nothing to recover the weapon. During the course of the adventure, players will piece together the Transistor’s mysteries as they pursue its former owners.

Transistor to be released in early 2014. We have not yet decided on which platform or platforms the game will be available for.
Source: http://supergiantgames.com/?p=1816
BGGPICoCAAAVx1C.png:large

Local H Jay on

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Awesome'd for the singing in the teaser trailer alone. Rest looks gravy.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    You had me at "Bastion devs".

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    This pleases me

this pleases me greatly

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    WOO!

Fingers crossed it lands on a platform I own in 2014!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    You had me at "Bastion devs".

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Why would you not put the trailer in the OP!

Also it's going to be playable at Pax East.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It looks pretty but then so did Bastion and that turned out to be super boring for me.

At least there's no awful narrator this time.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    It looks pretty but then so did Bastion and that turned out to be super boring for me.

Posts like these make me sad.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

People can have opinions. It just so happens that I (and a lot of other people) have the exact opposite opinion. Bastion is one of my all time favorite games and I thought the narrator was awesome.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    God I want both the game and soundtrack right now. Possibly the soundtrack more than the game, but the game looks fantastic too.

I know my first stop at PAX.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I'll buy this on principle. Bastion was brilliant.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'ma buy it twice for Magic Pink.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

I could see not liking the narrator. I found his voice a bit grating at first. Bastion itself was so immensely fantasitc, that by the time I hit playthrough 3, I had gotten used to it, and it didn't bother me so much.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The screenshots on the Supergiant website make for some rather nice desktop images.

It'd be nice to have the full version of the song.

• Options
    It's a song for a game that's not out yet. I think when it comes out we'll have a soundtrack.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

updated OP to add this, sorry i posted the thread from mobile so i will have to make it look nicer when i have time.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I am so excited right now

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Logan Cunningham, the voice of Rucks in Bastion, has confirmed on Twitter that he's working on Transistor "in a vocal capacity."

Yeah, I'm out.

Figure everyone else would like this tho!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I would buy this game right now sight unseen, just based on the trailer.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    this is gonna be great

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know.

I would buy this game for the visuals alone.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Logan Cunningham, the voice of Rucks in Bastion, has confirmed on Twitter that he's working on Transistor "in a vocal capacity."

Yeah, I'm out.

I'd point out that there isn't actual narrating this time, so he'll just be voicing some characters here and there I imagine, but I figure that if you thought his role as the narrator was terrible then there's probably no way you'll like it anyway :|

• Options

Yeah, I'm out.

He's probably not going to narrate it this time, if that helps. He also doesn't always sound like Rucks.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    If this is as good as their last offering and as good as the trailer suggests, then I will be getting this game.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Sci Fi RPG? Bastion devs?

INSTA-BUY!

2014? awwwwww. I'm sure it'll be worth it though :-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Just in time for the first PAX East I am missing T_T
    Bastion was so refreshing when it came out. I know people felt very differently about the narrator, but I just loved that there was a group of video game designers out there saying "Hey, video games can do anything, so how can we break the mold a little?"
    This trailer does remind me though that I have none of Jen Zee's artwork on my wall, and this needs to be fixed...

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    Just in time for the first PAX East I am missing T_T
    Bastion was so refreshing when it came out. I know people felt very differently about the narrator, but I just loved that there was a group of video game designers out there saying "Hey, video games can do anything, so how can we break the mold a little?"
    This trailer does remind me though that I have none of Jen Zee's artwork on my wall, and this needs to be fixed...

Me too, dude, let's sit in the "god why am I not at PAX East corner" sadly

Bastion is one of my favorite games of all time; it's so gorgeous, fun to play, I love LOVE the narrator...

And the fact that this is a sci-fi RPG along the same lines with a badass female protagonist? YES PLEASE

I want to COSPLAY her. Maybe I can get out to PAX Prime...

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    When they say RPG, I can only assume light RPG elements like in Bastion. Also, the cyber punky "street to street" stuff makes me think of that Shadowrun game someone is making.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Gonna be honest. I cannot fathom the sort of mind that dislikes Rucks's voice.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Looks a lot closer to Bastion in gameplay than I'd expected, but I'm on board. I have more faith in Supergiant do something amazing, narrative wise, than any other developer out there.

• Options
    My only regret is that I hadn't played Bastion before I went to an event where the musicians and narrator of the game were there. I did enjoy the performance, but I felt like such a poser.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Is this where we confess to how many times we've watched the trailer in the last 4 hours? I'm at 10.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    cryogenic sleep now please thank you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Ohhhhhhh man. I had no plans to attend PAX East, but that may have just changed (assuming this is something feasible, of course).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I will buy this no questions asked.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm slightly disappointed that initial gameplay footage looks so much like Bastion. Don't get me wrong, Bastion was fantastic, but I played it a lot. It'll be a tough act to follow, especially with more of the same.

What was that bit in the lyrics? "...before we all become one." Kidnapped people being fed to a networked brain entity sounds like an interesting premise.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Looks like it will be a neat game.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So I just showed the trailer to my wife, and her impression was that the art/setting reminded her of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and the music/vocals reminded her of Origa, who does the opening/closing songs to that show. Pretty high praise, since it is one of her favourite shows and she isn't that much into games. I hope it can live up to the tease they've given us.

• Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Someone that goes to PAX East, please post a report in this thread.

I liked Bastion so much I bought it twice; X360 and Steam. Three times if you count gifting it.