As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    That combat system is really interesting and cool. It seems most of it would be down to figuring out what enemies can do during each phase and where on the board is safe to hide while the Transistor recharged.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I like how they make it a point that she is a singer and is mute because her voice has been stolen.

And she is a redhead. Clearly, Transistor is a sequel to The Little Mermaid.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I wonder if there are any timed hits when the turn based attacks resolve like in Super Mario RPG or some way to break out of the attack resolve.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Yes Total Biscuit I would totally buy a Transistor USB Stick thank you for suggesting it.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they sold physical copies of the game on Transistor USB sticks.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I would actually buy a physical copy for that.

• Options
    I just hope it launches for PC at the same time as console this time. Otherwise come release I'll be awkwardly wanting to peek into the thread having not played it.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Day one.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Also could you release the soundtrack, like, now Supergiant Games?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So the setting and music and art and "Bastion Devs" was totally doing it for me, but that initial trailer made the gameplay look like Bastion 2 which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just a little safe and boring.

Now it's clear it's all new turn based gameplay, my interest has gone from a 9 to about a 32.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I just hope it launches for PC at the same time as console this time. Otherwise come release I'll be awkwardly wanting to peek into the thread having not played it.

They gave their biggest look into the game to Totalbiscuit, who pretty much covers only PC games. Bastion also by last accounts sold better on PC (though the last public numbers are a year old now), so I imagine we'll be seeing a PC release as a priority.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »

They gave their biggest look into the game to Totalbiscuit, who pretty much covers only PC games. Bastion also by last accounts sold better on PC (though the last public numbers are a year old now), so I imagine we'll be seeing a PC release as a priority.

Yeah, I'm hoping his guarded answer to the interview question is more a matter of 'look we don't want to say anything in case something goes tits up' more than anything else.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I like how they make it a point that she is a singer and is mute because her voice has been stolen.

And she is a redhead. Clearly, Transistor is a sequel to The Little Mermaid.

"Now this 'eres a story 'bout Mermaid Murder."

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Looks insanely beautiful and wonderfully mysterious.

Sold. So damn sold.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

Yeah, I'm hoping his guarded answer to the interview question is more a matter of 'look we don't want to say anything in case something goes tits up' more than anything else.

Considering the game sold pretty well on every platform they released it on (XBLA, Steam, iOS, even the Chrome Store) I can see it coming back to all of those. Well maybe not the Chrome store.

edit:
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Reminds me a little bit of the plan and go of Frozen Synapse more than a traditional straight up turn based game.

I am very very excited about this.

In the TotalBiscuit video, he compares the game to Valkyria Chronicles and Frozen Synapse and isn't told he's wrong.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

Considering the game sold pretty well on every platform they released it on (XBLA, Steam, iOS, even the Chrome Store) I can see it coming back to all of those. Well maybe not the Chrome store.

I have no doubt it will, I just hope it's simultaneous launch.

• Options
    Jesus, apparently the play line for the demo at PAX was three hours long!

I am actually not surprised and more like... that's the kind of line you normally get at an AAA game, not an indie-thingy.

Kinda makes me scared to go to a PAX. I mean...that's kind of a long time.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

The only reason to not talk about platforms at this stage is because you're shopping around an exclusivity deal. Temporary, perhaps, but still an exclusivity.

Expect it on the 720 for six months before everything else.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

The only reason to not talk about platforms at this stage is because you're shopping around an exclusivity deal. Temporary, perhaps, but still an exclusivity.

Gods, I hope not.

That would be the most painful six months ever for me. Knowing some of you are playing it while I stare at my Steam Library without Transistor in it?

Why don't you just water board me instead?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I am slightly disappointed it only seems like Red can only lift it abit with effort.

Everybody who has ever played video games knows anybody who picks up a giant great sword immediately turns into a ninja with it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

I'm a sucker for redheads.

Also incredible art, killer music, and fun gameplay. Also redheads.

Did I mention the redheads?

• Options

I've been thinking about this lately. With Sony saying that they want the PS4 to be a system developers want to make games for, and basically the shine of XBLA exclusivity wearing off in light of the money devs are making on Steam, I can't see many devs playing ball with MS' "it's on our system first or we don't want it" philosophy.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Frozen Synapse-style RPG? I'll pre-order now if you give me the chance.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So TotalBiscuit did a playthrough of the demo at PAX, and he's interviewing Greg Kasavin at the same time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyD4FuvuOE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    edit: damn, someone in the thread already beat me to it. Oh well >_>

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

I've heard it compared to FF12. I have never played VC, FS, or FF12 so I have nothing to go on.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

I've heard it compared to FF12. I have never played VC, FS, or FF12 so I have nothing to go on.

FS and VC are two of my favorite games, and that video definitely reminds me of them, though more FS than VC. The only thing that would make this game better is a party.

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    This looks interesting.

I'll have to keep an eye on it, but if it's even half as good as Bastion was then I'll definitely have to pick it up.

Next year's an awfully long way away though. :(

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    This looks interesting.

I'll have to keep an eye on it, but if it's even half as good as Bastion was then I'll definitely have to pick it up.

Next year's an awfully long way away though. :(

I promised I'd buy Supergiants next game no matter what just as a "thank you" for Bastion, which is one of my all-time favorite games. The fact that Transistor looks great as well is just icing on the cake.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Why do people keep on saying it looks like Frozen Synapse? The defining feature of Frozen Synapse is that you are setting up a sequence of actions to be performed simultaneously with your opponent's. Transistor, on the other hand, has you setting up a sequence of actions which are performed effectively instantaneously, and then you run around for a bit avoiding attacks until you can do it again. They might look similar before you hit the play button, but they couldn't be any more different in actual play.

Are people just believing what TotalBiscuit says (even when he's glaringly wrong) or are they tricked by a visual style that is slightly reminiscent of Frozen Syanpse?

Garthor on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Why do people keep on saying it looks like Frozen Synapse? The defining feature of Frozen Synapse is that you are setting up a sequence of actions to be performed simultaneously with your opponent's. Transistor, on the other hand, has you setting up a sequence of actions which are performed effectively instantaneously, and then you run around for a bit avoiding attacks until you can do it again. They might look similar before you hit the play button, but they couldn't be any more different in actual play.

Are people just believing what TotalBiscuit says (even when he's glaringly wrong) or are they tricked by a visual style that is slightly reminiscent of Frozen Syanpse?

Except that the enemies can and do move while your plan is acting out. TB had it happen to him a few times, where things would move out of the way, and that was just in the beginning of the game, in a demo.

You're kind of a goose to suggest that people are just following TB. The minute the game went into planning mode and he started marking out his movement, I immediately thought of Frozen Synapse before TB said anything.

There are no other games that I know of that use a system like this other than Frozen Synapse and Flotilla, which again, was compared to Frozen Synapse.

So, how are people so far off the mark? Its a game where you plot a string of movements and actions during a pause--that is like Frozen Synapse.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    First video got me excited but the playthrough demo kinda killed my buzz. I know the demo doesnt show everything you can do but they shouldve shown more than just run around while your cooldown is ready then use the oh so boring attack clash.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Fireflash wrote: »
    First video got me excited but the playthrough demo kinda killed my buzz. I know the demo doesnt show everything you can do but they shouldve shown more than just run around while your cooldown is ready then use the oh so boring attack clash.

Except that it was TB playing..so, they don't exactly have control of how he chooses to play. There were Combo indicators and such that he was ignoring and he wasn't using active combat very often.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Wait, people didn't like Bastion's narration?

I didn't think that was possible. How have they not been struck down by the gods for blasphemy?

I think people don't like change. It was jarring and unfamiliar, and video games have taught people to appreciate all the other aspects of games that lack stories. A lot of people I talked to missed a lot of the important plot points and didn't put any thought into interpreting what most of the symbolic portions of the game actually stood for. I had a friend tell me "why was there a bull ram at the end? It seemed random and it was so slow that I couldn't get anywhere! It was annoying!" They never stopped to think why the weapons were getting bigger and what the bull meant and how it might actually mean something more than a weapon that lowers your speed and prevents you from using your arsenal that you already have. He saw it as bad design instead of intentional design :P

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    The enemies moving are either A) instant responses to being hit (so as to limit the power of your planning mode to only being able to do one hit per activation) or B) super-slow movement that also seems to prevent them from attacking, to serve to illustrate "hey time isn't actually frozen you're just moving really fast". Again, you aren't making a plan to combat an opponent's identical plan, the only actor in the planning mode is you.

I suppose it's theoretically possible they'll throw in an enemy / boss that also uses super-speed of some sort. I imagine this would manifest as it showing a plan of their own the moment you hit the right trigger, so you have to try to intercept them in some manner.

As for thinking Frozen Synapse before he said anything... maybe you should re-evaluate your positions on things after you see them in action, rather than coming to a conclusion from how things look and cementing it in stone. As for other games to compare it to... I guess I'd say the stopwatch from Castlevania, and maybe that freeze-everything attack in Sands of Time (I think, it's been a while since I played that). Really, the key is that you are stopping time and doing whatever you want, the planning interface is just sort of a marginally different spin on that concept.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

I've been thinking about this lately. With Sony saying that they want the PS4 to be a system developers want to make games for, and basically the shine of XBLA exclusivity wearing off in light of the money devs are making on Steam, I can't see many devs playing ball with MS' "it's on our system first or we don't want it" philosophy.

Xbox Live is bringing in a lot of revenue for Microsoft because it is, for most, a subscription service. That money gets rolled around to exclusivity deals because those things attract people to the platform. That's just business. And you can bet it will continue because it has been so successful for MS so far.

Also, I'd love to see some deets on the money devs are making on Steam. I thought Valve took a huge cut of the profits and a lot were actually complaining about the platform.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Played this yesterday at PAX and said hello to the art director.

Kindve flipped between the planning moves and the active combat (the planning really is useful for lining up multi hit attacks). Everything about this seems great so far (even though the demo was quite short). The use of the time stop planning on door opening made me think there might be some puzzles too.

Music, ambience, narration, art style, etc. all gorgeous.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmlnUCK9oWI

Is TB's footage without the interview over the top. The sound design is really nice and while Transistor's voice felt irritating at the start it grew on me a lot (the fact that dialogue pauses when you open the tactics menu is going to get me repeatedly killed).

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    When you see a Ginger with a Transistor, you just keep on walkin'.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    The enemies moving are either A) instant responses to being hit (so as to limit the power of your planning mode to only being able to do one hit per activation) or B) super-slow movement that also seems to prevent them from attacking, to serve to illustrate "hey time isn't actually frozen you're just moving really fast". Again, you aren't making a plan to combat an opponent's identical plan, the only actor in the planning mode is you.

I suppose it's theoretically possible they'll throw in an enemy / boss that also uses super-speed of some sort. I imagine this would manifest as it showing a plan of their own the moment you hit the right trigger, so you have to try to intercept them in some manner.

As for thinking Frozen Synapse before he said anything... maybe you should re-evaluate your positions on things after you see them in action, rather than coming to a conclusion from how things look and cementing it in stone. As for other games to compare it to... I guess I'd say the stopwatch from Castlevania, and maybe that freeze-everything attack in Sands of Time (I think, it's been a while since I played that). Really, the key is that you are stopping time and doing whatever you want, the planning interface is just sort of a marginally different spin on that concept.

I call this one "The Analogies"

I'm hoping enemy movement during your locked-in steps has a significant effect on the usefulness of planning them out. It would be fun times if incomplete information during your planning made you run headfirst into trouble the way assuming people were exactly where the 'last saw them' ghosts were in Frozen Synapse could get you killed. But, even if it's just pause-Bastion it seems like it will be awesome.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.