As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[X-Men: DOFP] Also known as *How to fix a franchise* [Spoilers!]

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is an outrage.

You go to a cinema excpecting to hate a movie based on a franchise that has a terrible overall canon with FOCUS on that canon and what happens?

It ends up good.

I mean how could you NOT mess this up

quicksilver-xmen-days-future-past-carls-jr.jpg

Dammit Singer

So, yeah. Let's talk about that surprisingly good X-Men movie.

C2B on

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    3D or not 3D, that is the question.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    3D always sucks bro

Know what doesn't suck?

Days of Future Past! Apparently. I am verboten from watching it until the lady is free.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yeah

silver wig quicksilver leads to one of most enjoyable scenes of film

who woulda thunk

poo
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I enjoyed the movie.

It's definitely the second best most fun movie so far this summer for me.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    It was so good. Fantastic job with the sentinels. Everything really. Just everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    3D always sucks bro

Know what doesn't suck?

Days of Future Past! Apparently. I am verboten from watching it until the lady is free.

Feminism gone mad.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You guys have sold me on this movie, I'll try and see it tomorrow (but see Chef if you've already seen DoFP it's really good!).

But tell me if the RPX/3D is worth it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I actually really like that they kept to the time travel rules within reason.
    Virtually every time something like this is depicted in media everyone just forgets the time traveler was ever there.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I saw it this afternoon, and yeah, best x-men film to date.

I don't think it needed to "Fix" anything (X3 aside), but it definantly bridged the gap between Old\New X-men.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The only thing I would have liked more of is mutants fighting the 70s version of the Sentinels. Those are the sentinels I want to see torn apart by mutants.

This movie focused on Wolverine (who I'm tired of seeing in movies), Xavier, Magneto, Beast, Mystique (Who aren't favorites of mine at all) and was still a really fun movie to watch.

I found the past action scenes to be cool looking, but the mutants were just ridiculously overpowered, which makes sense for the story, but they were just doing crazy shit with their powers. The future scenes seemed much more bleak for the heroes, but they were fighting was a lot more fun to watch. Blink was fucking awesome.

fight stuff spoilers
    When Blink opened up a portal and Colossus jumped through and appeared way up and then she opened another portal where he landed to shoot him straight into a Nimrod sentinel was fucking glorious. I wanted to shout "Now you're thinking with portals"

But I would have liked to see Mutants fighting the early versions of sentinels to see how they have to do teamwork to take them down. Really all I wanted was a Cannonball Special to take out a Sentinel. But really the Sentinels went from the early version which never did anything because Magneto corrupted them to Holy Fucking Shit these Sentinels can't be stopped without us getting to see anything in between which was kind of a bummer.

The end credit tag was weird
    As soon as it was a desert I was ready for Apocalypse, but then it never really looked like him, or maybe the movies are just making Apocalypse a normal person instead of a badass motherfucker looking motherfucker. But a lot of people were confused in the theater I saw it in. Shit I was confused. I knew the next movie was an Apocalypse movie and it was still kind of confusing.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Blink thinking with portals is just about the second best highlight of the movie.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I really liked it, the only complaint I have is that most of the actual fighting and action was kinda irrelevant. When they were fighting the future sentinels, it was like, what's the point since you can't beat them, by the time the second big fight was happening you already knew they were all going to die.

It would have been cool to see fighting scenes where there was actually an even fight.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I probably won't see it until it comes to Netflix, but I'd like to know if....
    Cyclops, Jean Grey, and/or Rogue come back, and as mutants.

I made the mistake of re-watching Last Stand, and, yeah... that movie pisses me off.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I made the mistake of re-watching Last Stand, and, yeah... that movie pisses me off.

Thar be Spoilers within:
    Technically yes.

More detail below that is an ending of movie spoiler.
    There is a brief scene at the school after everything is super happy and good. All three appear in it alive and well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

Nightslyr wrote: »

Yes, all of em.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    A stupid nitpick that I dont really care about, but still
    I wonder if its a running gag at this point if they have to make wolverines claws look super fake after that origins movie. There was a scene with his bone claws near the end that just looked so dumb and fake, almost like they were rubber.

Another non minor nitpick though
    did the events of the first x-men movie happen? Rogue had the grey streak in her hair at the end. Now, this could just be the 'HEY REMEMBER THIS CHARACTER?!?!?!?!' effect and you wouldn't recognize her without it. but if not it means she got it at some point somehow, which kind of lends credibility that everything is destined to happen.

Also, was that supposed to be toad? If he was 18 in 73, that makes him like 50 in New York in the first one before storm 'kills' him. I'll let it go if I'm wrong and thats his dad or something, I made the mistake saying blink was scarlet witch earlier.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I absolutely completely adored every aspect of this movie. This was the perfect X-Men film in my eyes.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    There are three things I would change:

Someone to point out that evolution doesn't require that mutants kill humans in order to replace them. To which the counter argument would be they are too dangerous to allow them to go unchecked. A bit more from the Comittee at the front - the argument that mutants are citizens should have gotten more play.
    I wanted Mystique/Charles to first of all point out that Trask was committing atrocities. And then point out that they were not the aggressors and that it should be obvious that if they wanted to start shit they could have years ago. Some sort of impassioned argument for peace, pointing out that every mutant is some human's son or daughter etc...

Lastly I wanted Magneto to fly off, everyone to think he was booking it and leaving everyone to die and save himself. But then to reappear with some mechanism to really delay the sentinels - really show off that he's one crazy powerful motherfucker but being overwhelmed. Being the first to sacrifice himself for everyone else.

They were things that niggled at me

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I still enjoy the Magneto we got, because good god that was Magneto as fuck
    The juxtaposition of young Magneto finally coming into his own as terrifying villain, and old Magneto regretting fighting Xavier all those years as they died together was brilliant.

To some degree I think the relationship between mutants and the public was kind of more of a plot device than a focus for this film, as it's something they've covered extensively in...well, all the other X-Men films really.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Also, Quicksilver was just absolutely delightful. Even how god-awfully dorky he looks plays into his character in the film.
    The entire time he was on screen with Magneto I was hoping they would at least make a nod to the fact that he's his son, and I was not disappointed.

EDIT:

Also also, I actually loved the fact that while Wolverine is the lynch-pin of the story he's actually completely useless the entire movie. It really makes it into Xavier's story.

Winky on
  • Options
    Such an amazing sequence.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    There are three things I would change:

Someone to point out that evolution doesn't require that mutants kill humans in order to replace them. To which the counter argument would be they are too dangerous to allow them to go unchecked. A bit more from the Comittee at the front - the argument that mutants are citizens should have gotten more play.
    I wanted Mystique/Charles to first of all point out that Trask was committing atrocities. And then point out that they were not the aggressors and that it should be obvious that if they wanted to start shit they could have years ago. Some sort of impassioned argument for peace, pointing out that every mutant is some human's son or daughter etc...

Lastly I wanted Magneto to fly off, everyone to think he was booking it and leaving everyone to die and save himself. But then to reappear with some mechanism to really delay the sentinels - really show off that he's one crazy powerful motherfucker but being overwhelmed. Being the first to sacrifice himself for everyone else.

They were things that niggled at me

I thought they were pretty clear. Maybe could have used an extra sentence
    if they exist, then they've been peaceful citizens this whole time. [basically] this is kind of wrong to do' made it sound pretty flat out that they didnt see an issue, and that if they exist, there not an issue.
    This was also probably a good reaction if not kneejerking in the opposite direction since the macarthy hearings were less then 20 years earlier and they just got done dealing with the civil rights act. That could have been that extra sentence I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also Blink did some serious work. Shame we didn't get the chance to get to know any of the future mutants, but they at least sure didn't waste their screen-time.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Also Blink did some serious work. Shame we didn't get the chance to get to know any of the future mutants, but they at least sure didn't waste their screen-time.

Aside from Kitty, she was definitely the best of the future mutants IMO.

What sort of disapoints me:
    I don't think we saw her in the replacement future.

Thinking of the final scenes of the movie:
    Considering where he's coming from, Wolverine has a lot of catching up to do in the new present. I suspect he'll need to go on sabatacal for a while before he can teach again.

I do think it's a missed opportunity though - he should teach art.

And thinking of the post credits scene:
    Don't get me wrong, it looked cool. But: it had no connection with this movie. It was a pure teaser. The MCU teasers have linked in directly with their associated movies, people reacting to the events of the previous two hours of film. This was just 'oh hey, here's a big nasty piece of trouble, see you in summer 2016 (or whenever).'

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Man, they didn't pull any punches with the future sentinels...some real brutal fighting there.

Just got back from it. My favorite X-men movie to date.
    A lady next to me literally said out loud "Oh thank you Jesus" when you saw naked Hugh Jackman's ass.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also, let's not forget the best part of this movie:
    It just straight-up undoes X3.

By the way, does anyone know the explanation for why Xavier is still alive in the Sentinel future? Did they just straight retcon that?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I really liked the future Sentinels.

Those floating carriages they were transported in were ominous as fuck and really conveyed a sense of dread.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I really liked the future Sentinels.

Those floating carriages they were transported in were ominous as fuck and really conveyed a sense of dread.

I'm not super familiar with all the comic storylines so I don't know if that style of sentinel actually shows up in the comics, but I was a little ticked off at first that they weren't the classic sentinels I remembered, yet lo and behold you end up getting plenty of classic sentinel action too!

• Options
    I do want to add that I saw this movie in 3D and it was actually totally worth it. There are some effects they use early on in the movie involving zooming shots where you can tell that they were really actively trying to play with 3D as a medium, and not in a gimmicky way. Also it really adds a lot to the Quicksilver sequence and Blink's scenes.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular

By the way, does anyone know the explanation for why Xavier is still alive in the Sentinel future? Did they just straight retcon that?
    Supposedly the mutants of the future reconstituted him as they really wanted him around, per the director I believe.

• Options
    Noizlanif wrote: »

Supposedly the mutants of the future reconstituted him as they really wanted him around, per the director I believe.

Weird that they didn't mention it, as they were actually pretty good at having throw-away lines to address a lot of the little plot niggles, but to be honest it may have really strained the credulity of the average viewer if they did.

• Options

The stinger on x3 has him waking up in a coma body. I think there was shenanigans involved on why it looks like him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Saw it earlier today, and I had a quick question regarding the future mutants. What exactly is Warpath's power? Is it just really long range vision or enhanced senses, also good with knives? Some kind of limited precognition, also good with knives?

To the question of 3D or not 3D, I saw it in 3D (didn't want to wait an hour for the 2D showing) and thought the 3D was very well done. I don't think it would make or break the movie to see it in 2D though.

Just curious, was that particular Blink/Colossus combo done in the comics or was it thought up for the movie? Cause that was great.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I watched this last night, and ended up going "Hey wait.... that was, like, a good movie. Huh".

I saw it in 3D, and I was in the 3rd row(In fact, I saw it in "UltraAVX", or Canadian for "7.1"). I had headaches when I was thinking about it, but overall it worked well and was fine.

It was, like.... great.

And it had the benefit of Star Trekking the whole X-Men franchise.

Also, now you're thinking with portals.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I kinda-sorta wish that they had done something more with the whole "stuff you do in the past affects the future" thing. Like, the Sentinel design changes in some way due to some idea Trask gets. Just to drive that part of the time shenanigans home. Aside from that not-really-a-nitpick, I loved it.

I'm curious, though...does this mean future movies will be set in the 70s/80s/90s?

• Options
    Future movies can be set whenever. Patrick Stewart it 20xx? FINE! James Macavoy(?) in 19xx? FINE! James Macavoy now that he's a little older but

SPOILERS

And so isn't Patrick Stewart and/or is? FINE!

• Options
    I, for one, am excited to see his hair start thinning.

• Options
    There was the great daily show interview where James McAvoy specifically said "Yeah we looked at what Patrick was doing and said "hey, let's do the opposite of that". Not because it was bad, I mean it's Patrick damn Stewart, but because we wanted to have the character go somewhere. So he has no hair, I have lots of hair"

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »
    There was the great daily show interview where James McAvoy specifically said "Yeah we looked at what Patrick was doing and said "hey, let's do the opposite of that". Not because it was bad, I mean it's Patrick damn Stewart, but because we wanted to have the character go somewhere. So he has no hair, I have lots of hair"

Yeah, the fact that we get to see Charles grow into becoming The Professor is one of the things I love most about the movie. It really adds a ton to the character.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Man, they didn't pull any punches with the future sentinels...some real brutal fighting there.

Just got back from it. My favorite X-men movie to date.
    A lady next to me literally said out loud "Oh thank you Jesus" when you saw naked Hugh Jackman's ass.

I was waiting for dong

steam_sig.png