As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[X-Men: DOFP] Also known as *How to fix a franchise* [Spoilers!]

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    this is going to sound a little mean but he is such a good actor that you don't really notice his uniqueness.

I do think it would've madle a little bit more sense plotwise to play up the I hate myself angle.

I don't see it as self hatred. Someone mentioned it way back when he was cast and I like the hypothesis better that when Trask (presumably) heard Magneto going about mutant superiority and needing to wipe out everyone that wasn't necessary he probably saw himself first up against the wall dues to his condition.

I never thought of that makes a lot of sense.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I mean, as a normal person do you really need a special reason to be scared shitless of Magneto or Professor X?

I thought the movie got just about the right level of concern from most of the people. It wasn't that mutants were some kind of horrible deviants or anything, it was that they were ridiculously powerful and could easily up end governments.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I thought it was fabulous that they made no mention whatsoever of the fact that Trask was short. For so long the only parts little people get are because a little person is required, like fantasy dwarves, santa's elves, somebody to fit inside a little robot suit, ect. They could have chosen anybody to play Trask but they picked Dinklage because he's a great actor and maybe for some extra nerd popularity. Bravo.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I feel bad about saying this but having him as Trask means we won't get him as Puck in the alpha flight movie that will never get made

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I mean, as a normal person do you really need a special reason to be scared shitless of Magneto or Professor X?

I thought the movie got just about the right level of concern from most of the people. It wasn't that mutants were some kind of horrible deviants or anything, it was that they were ridiculously powerful and could easily up end governments.

Especially since those two are practically unbeatable when working together.

Any humans you send after them are instantly neutralized by Professor X. Any drones or robots you send are instantly neutralized by Magneto if they have any magnetic parts. If Professor X wanted to kill the President, he could make the Secret Service agents defending the President hand their weapons to the First Lady, and he could make her unload every single one of those weapons into the President on national TV. Magneto could walk onto any military base in the world and destroy everyone there with their own weapons.

They are virtually gods, and man has very few options available for dealing with gods.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I thought the reasons for the stadium was
    To seal off everyone else from the white house so there'd be no outside interference

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I thought the reasons for the stadium was
    To seal off everyone else from the white house so there'd be no outside interference

It also eliminates any escape routes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @Atlas_in_Chains
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I went to see X-Men: Ghost of Christmas Past. It was actually pretty fun. Quicksilver turned out to be a lot of fun, I was sure based purely on what he looked like in still shots I was going to hate him. Not once did the movie even mention that Trask was a little person. I found that...refreshing. That all said, I can't for the life of me figure out the timeline of this movie.
    At the end of The Wolverine, Logan has lost his adamantium claws, but he has them back. Prof X died in X3, and I thought for sure they would explain why he was alive and not kicking, but it wasn't even mentioned. Also, can we send Logan back one more time and make sure Scott doesn't make it? I thought the wrap up felt a lot more like a finale than a reboot. We're looking at the future X number of years ahead and it looks brilliant. Where do they go from here that isn't more time travel shenanigans or completely boring because we know who survives?
    You're right on the claws, I noticed that too.

Professor X comes back at the end of X3 (in the post credits scene I believe) by possessing a brain dead body.

And it feels like a finale because it really is one for the X1-X3 cast. The next movie is using the First Class cast

But, what's the point?
    The entirety of the X Franchise has been tied up in the human vs. mutant question. We now know that any attempt barring more time travel is going to leave a thriving mutant population, at least at the school. It kind of deflates the tension. The post credits scene featured Apocalypse, who I'm not terribly familiar with, but isn't he another mutant superiority villain? The ending just seemed too pat, they should have left themselves some wiggle room for the future.

On Prof X at the end of X3
    I never leave a comic book movie until the credits are over, so I have no idea how I missed the X3 stinger. I've seen it now and I am more confused than I started. Was the body he transferred into that of Patrick Stewart?Did his superior mind rewrite the entire genetic code of another human being? Creepy.

Days of Future Past spoilers

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So that was actually really good and I have no complaints about the movie.

Huh.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah the end scene Credits for DOFP
    Apocalypse was young, even though hes the oldest Mutant in the world, without his power armor. I predict that we will see En Sabah Nur in his Power Armor in the next X-Men movie. If I remember correctly, and X fans with a more thorough history please correct me, its because of his mutant abilities his normal body would not survive for long, so he develops the Power Suit from "Shiar" tech, the same tech "Cerebro" was created out of. I'm not for sure if Mr. Sinister was involved with the creation of his power suit.

I'm stoked for the next film

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    You know, I am honestly glad (ending)
    That Cyclops is back. I kind of hope in the next movie that they don't make him an unrelenting shitstain. I have a personal problem with watching the heroes die but it didn't detract from my thinking the movie was 10/10. I've been bad with 'heroes dying' scenes since forever, though. Like game over scenes in games or whatever. I have no idea why.

I ran into some time travel paradox thoughts but thought that the dynamic between Prof X and Magneto continued to carry the movies.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Regarding that scene with Quicksilver
    That had the potential to get really, really cheesy. I think it was brilliant to use Jim Croce singing over the entire set piece. That song is so somber and bittersweet, it is impossible to watch anything and not be moved while it plays.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Another thing I absolutely loved about the movie:
    The final conflict came down to Xavier and Magneto being the angel and demon on Mystique's shoulders, recapitulating the central ideological struggle of the entire franchise.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Apocalypse was young, even though hes the oldest Mutant in the world, without his power armor. I predict that we will see En Sabah Nur in his Power Armor in the next X-Men movie. If I remember correctly, and X fans with a more thorough history please correct me, its because of his mutant abilities his normal body would not survive for long, so he develops the Power Suit from "Shiar" tech, the same tech "Cerebro" was created out of. I'm not for sure if Mr. Sinister was involved with the creation of his power suit.

I unfortunately missed the ending stinger due to almost having an age of apocalypse in my pants after I stood up to stretch.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I unfortunately missed the ending stinger due to almost having an age of apocalypse in my pants after I stood up to stretch.

It wasn't nearly as cool as I hoped. I'll spoil it for you if you'd like
    After the credits, the camera is moving over a desert from a high vantage, and a chanting becomes audible.. we eventually make out "En-Sabah-Nur.. En-Sabah-Nur" and as we crest a hill we see a lone hooded figure standing over on top, as we see it's thousands chanting "En-Sabah-Nur" in worship of the hooded figure. Behind the throngs there huge pieces of stone are brought together in an almost mechanical fashion, as though a giant telekinetic puzzle box is being solved, and we see the figure is in fact building a pyramid. As the chanting grows louder, the camera closes in and moves around to see the figures face...

and he basically looks like an albino. :P Kinda disappointing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

It wasn't nearly as cool as I hoped. I'll spoil it for you if you'd like
    After the credits, the camera is moving over a desert from a high vantage, and a chanting becomes audible.. we eventually make out "En-Sabah-Nur.. En-Sabah-Nur" and as we crest a hill we see a lone hooded figure standing over on top, as we see it's thousands chanting "En-Sabah-Nur" in worship of the hooded figure. Behind the throngs there huge pieces of stone are brought together in an almost mechanical fashion, as though a giant telekinetic puzzle box is being solved, and we see the figure is in fact building a pyramid. As the chanting grows louder, the camera closes in and moves around to see the figures face...

and he basically looks like an albino. :P Kinda disappointing.

You forgot:
    The four guys on horseback watching him from a nearby dune.

• Options
    I apparently missed that.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    omg omg omg

Someone pointed out to me that with the new timeline they have free reign to completely redo Deadpool.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Okay, I'm trying to piece together how this integrates (and erases) Wolverine Origins.

Wolverine gets recruited by Stryker in 1973, after fighting in Nam. Sometime afterwards, he leaves the group and goes solo for six years. Then the Weapon X stuff happens and he gets the adamantium skeleton and amnesia.

Apparently DoFP takes place in 1973 (Also this means the future stuff would be around 2023) so I guess it would have to be shortly after Wolverine defects from Stryker's mutant team. It's just a little too compressed to work smoothly, but it almost works. Biggest issue is just that Origins Stryke doesn't seem to line up with DoFP Stryker.

And yes, Origin sucks and isn't worth spending time thinking about. I just enjoy this kind of crap.

EDIT: Apparently the paris peace accords happened in January of 1973, so whooops.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I enjoyed the movie.

Jennifer Lawrence is pretty.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Regarding that scene with Quicksilver
    That had the potential to get really, really cheesy. I think it was brilliant to use Jim Croce singing over the entire set piece. That song is so somber and bittersweet, it is impossible to watch anything and not be moved while it plays.

Honestly that song just made it funnier to me.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Regarding Trask's motivation:
    It surprised me that the fact he's a little person wasn't hinted at playing into his anti-mutant sentiment at all, as that would seem like such an obvious route to take the character. While I found Trask's actual stated motivation kind of "meh" I actually found the fact that they completely ignored him being a little person as much more respectful to Dinklage as an actor.

They did; in his presentation he said "we are the inferior homo sapiens" and one of the guys in the committee said "speak for yourself" and they all chuckled.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    I enjoyed the movie.

Jennifer Lawrence is pretty.

Too bad she probably was only signed for 3 movies. Isn't that the standard?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Not quite.
    Apocalypse's technology all comes from the Celestials. Think, giant alien race of Space gods. Galactus is related to the Celestials actually. Bonus points, though unconnected movie-verse wise, the big head that the Guardians fly to in the GotG trailer is the head of a Celestial.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Why must my unmitigated enthusiasm be rained on by all this complicated nonsense?

When you have a morality play about tolerance, harmony and acceptance focused on the x-gene and the whacky hijinx that ensue you really don't need to add in stupid alien nonsense. Though I am sure they intend to keep things more grounded.

That said regarding the sting:
    it looked hella like Scarlet Witch to me rather than Apocalypse. Making it a twofer

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Why must my unmitigated enthusiasm be rained on by all this complicated nonsense?

When you have a morality play about tolerance, harmony and acceptance focused on the x-gene and the whacky hijinx that ensue you really don't need to add in stupid alien nonsense. Though I am sure they intend to keep things more grounded.

it looked hella like Scarlet Witch to me rather than Apocalypse. Making it a twofer

Scarlet Witch would probably be the sister that is sitting on Quicksilver's lap while he's watching TV.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    at the end
    I was confused as to the significance of it being mystique who takes wolverine rather than the actual guy... does this mean he isn't taken and experimented on?

I wasn't super blown away but I enjoyed the movie well enough. which honestly considering the last one I saw was x3 I am happy to be able to say this.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    at the end
    I was confused as to the significance of it being mystique who takes wolverine rather than the actual guy... does this mean he isn't taken and experimented on?

I wasn't super blown away but I enjoyed the movie well enough. which honestly considering the last one I saw was x3 I am happy to be able to say this.
    We have no idea really. Everything that happened over that fifty years is an unknown for us now.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Regarding the possibility of Nightcrawler, (minor Mystique spoilers)
    When the nurse is talking to her in the hospital, she asks if someone like that could have a family, and Mystique responds with "Yes, she does." Now that could mean a lot, but when she sees the picture of Azazel dead on the table, she actually gets tears in her eyes. There could have been enough down time (and the timing would be right) for her and Azazel to go off for a year and have a kid, then leave it with a circus for protection.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Saw x3 last night and it annoyed me. If everything in 1972 up until Logan comes back is unchanged, x3 makes no sense in the original timeline.
    Beast was amazed at a mutant cure and a mutant who temporarily made him revert to human. In all versions of 1972 he had already done that for himself and professor x.

Trying to keep everything else canon thru the timeline reset works but that I think

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Scarlet Witch would probably be the sister that is sitting on Quicksilver's lap while he's watching TV.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are twins, so that wouldn't be her. Wrong age.

The movie was probably my favorite X-Men movie now, narrowly edging out X-Men 2. I need to see it again.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Could be that Quicksilver ages more quickly. He acted pretty much like an 8 year old the whole movie.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Regarding Wolverine
    That last scene would just mean that he wasn't recruited by Stryker, not that he wasn't grabbed for Weapon X years later. The real Stryker still knows about his powers, so Mystique fishing him out of the river doesn't do anything to stop that.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Apocalypse in the comics was an albino, but hilariously ripped like every other guy in comics. He encountered...a time traveler named Rama-tut or something and learned of advanced tech. Later he found yet another immortal who had access to the ship the Celestials left behind to watch humanity or something. He beats the guy up and goes into the ship and comes out in his bad 90s power armor with the tubes to his wrists and stuff.

What I remember most about Apocalypse was that he was pretty much the beginning of the end for my collecting comics or at least collecting x-men.
    I think Mystique simply teared up over seeing her pals all killed by Photoshop. I know I did. The Pietro scene in the kitchen was the best scene in the movie, and the best received at the showing I went to. Everyone I went with, including two comic book nerds, didn't feel the ending was worth staying for. The timeline still remains a bit of a mess for me, and some of the logic was kind of terrible but I doubt that most people will care, I don't think Fox is too concerned with getting it as right the way Marvel has tried to, although they desperately want that level of franchise success.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    Saw x3 last night and it annoyed me. If everything in 1972 up until Logan comes back is unchanged, x3 makes no sense in the original timeline.
    Beast was amazed at a mutant cure and a mutant who temporarily made him revert to human. In all versions of 1972 he had already done that for himself and professor x.

Trying to keep everything else canon thru the timeline reset works but that I think
    The Trilogy's timeline and First Class' timeline are slightly different, and this movie reconciled them/separated the wheat from the chaff and shittiness. As far as I understand.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    My rating for X-men movies. Best to worst.

1. X-men: Days of Future Past
    2. The Wolverine
    3. X-men: First Class
    4. X-men: X2
    5. X-men
    6. X-men Origins: Wolverine
    7. X-men: The Last Stand

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    My rating for X-men movies. Best to worst.

1. X-men: Days of Future Past
    2. The Wolverine
    3. X-men: First Class
    4. X-men: X2
    5. X-men
    6. X-men Origins: Wolverine
    7. X-men: The Last Stand

I think you could shuffle the order of 2,3,and 4 a little.

Like, I could respect a man who put First Class at 2 with the Wolverine at 3, or switched X2 and the Wolverine.

But I think that Days of Future Past is clearly the frontrunner.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    omg omg omg

Someone pointed out to me that with the new timeline they have free reign to completely redo Deadpool.

Theres a script floating around
    It ignores origins and actively makes fun of it anyways. Reynolds says he loves the script and wants to do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Sunspot was ... Sunfire I guess. It was nice to see Blink and Bishop, although other than Blink no one really worked together. That was always something they kinda drilled into you in the comics, was they fought as a team.
    Danger wrote:
    I have made a 7% scenario-flow recalibration error. Their aggression is increased, their responses less coordinated but more effective. They're not in the danger room. They're in danger.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    useless4 wrote: »

Beast didn't have a cure, he just had a way of surpressing things.

Being able to turn someone back to looking like a normal human just by standing near him is still pretty impressive.
    Could be that Quicksilver ages more quickly. He acted pretty much like an 8 year old the whole movie.

Or he and Wanda aren't twins in Fox's universe.