As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Thrones: It's not Books, It's HBO (NO BOOKS!)

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    There's totally plot armor, it's like when stannis leads the charge at black water and doesn't get hurt and somehow gets away

Like we need to show he's a badass leader and fighter but it would suck for him to actually die like he almost certainly would so wham bam plot armor

I dunno it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's totally a thing

See also: wildlings charging the back gate and all 3 main characters survive

I mean I guess you could say that it's plot armor that caused him to be surrounded by soldier that protected him that entire time, He charged the wall and had men shielding his head from the rocks being thrown down and men around him when he climbed and fought on top of the wall (they were the ones that carried him away). It's not like he was in a one on one duel with some far superior warrior (such as Jaime, The Hound, The Mountain, the Martyll guy whose name I forget) or some other situation that should have been instant death. That's what I would consider plot armor, not a King being surrounded by his men, because that would just seem reasonable.

I don't know, I just think that calling plot armor on a show where main characters frequently die is a bit of a stretch.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I don't know why he'd go to King's Landing. At this point just go home, no one would give a shit.
    yeah ned stark exiled him

if he just shows up at bear island and takes charge i dont think anybody will care

... Except for all the people on bear island that might not be super happy about having an outlaw slaver try to claim them.

Jorah's family didn't exile him, Roose wouldn't have exiled him, Ned Stark exiled him because he's the kind of guy that would exile a bannerman for selling a poacher into slavery

They lost a lot of people in the war, I'm sure they'd welcome Jorah's return

Hey Jorah whatcha been up to? Oh I see, helping out the lady with dragons who wants to come burninate our countrysides eh? Seems legit

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    What I really liked about this episode was how it made you care about people you despised before.

Probably the most emotional scene for me was Thorne fighting Tormund. Especially because up until that point, the show made you hate Thorne and like Tormund (or at least like him more than you liked Thorne). But almost immediately in that fight, you found yourself doing something you didn't think you would do. You were rooting for Thorne.

Or atleast I was.

It helped that Thorne WASN'T all talk. He's an asshole, but he's PROBABLY an asshole you'd rather have on your side than the other one

I absolutely loved his little drill sergent moment with the archers:

"Nock arrows!"

*A few archers fire prematurely*

"DOES NOCK MEAN DRAW?"

"No lord commander!"

"DOES DRAW MEAN LOOSE?"

"No lord commander!"

"DOES ANYBODY PLAN ON DYING TODAY?"

"No lord commander!"

"GOOD! I'M VERY GLAD TO HEAR IT! LOOSE!"

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    There's totally plot armor, it's like when stannis leads the charge at black water and doesn't get hurt and somehow gets away

Like we need to show he's a badass leader and fighter but it would suck for him to actually die like he almost certainly would so wham bam plot armor

You're right, Tormund didn't die so the show clearly keeps characters with screen time ali- Oh wait Ygritte died and she was way bigger than Tormund ever was. Or did you mean Janos, Thorne or Gilly as major characters? Maybe plot armor is just a way to say "This character died and this didn't because it makes dramatical sense"? Then everyone in everything has plot armor.

Look I don't think anyone doesn't understand that the main characters of a story probably aren't going to drop like flies from influensa mid development. But with that broad a stroke that means Robb had plot armor in S1. And then he didn't. I can only extrapolate that freaking half the supporting cast also has plot armor until they don't, since mid season there are a lot of characters that aren't just gonna die to falling rocks because their involvement with the main cast/story has been initiated but not really cashed in on yet.

There was zero chance that Robb would die the week after he went to war for his dad. There's also zero chance that Pod dies when he follows Brienne out. There was no way Melisandre would die to poisoning, or some kind of ambush at Storms End. I guess there's a lot of plot armor to go around, I'm just not sure what the term denotes. I mean I'm pretty sure Davos's ship won't sink in a storm on their way to Braavos because that would be nonsensical, plot armor! Those kinds of voyages are pretty dangerous after all...

This is a show where Arya could lose her hand next week. She could also be thrown in a dungeon and left to rot for a season. I don't think she will die, but going all "Well Jaime's protected! What's the point of him being protected and taken to kings landing otherwise??" just doesn't say very much.

Edit: I hear you but I'm not sure why the Mormonts would take Jorah in "because the war has left them depleted". Jorah is one dude. The Mormonts presumably already have leadership. What do they gain from taking in a criminal as their leader?

And Stannis could never ever ever take Jorah in. Stannis doesn't grant pardons, period. Look to Onion knight for answers.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I don't know why he'd go to King's Landing. At this point just go home, no one would give a shit.

if he just shows up at bear island and takes charge i dont think anybody will care

... Except for all the people on bear island that might not be super happy about having an outlaw slaver try to claim them.

Jorah's family didn't exile him, Roose wouldn't have exiled him, Ned Stark exiled him because he's the kind of guy that would exile a bannerman for selling a poacher into slavery

Hey Jorah whatcha been up to? Oh I see, helping out the lady with dragons who wants to come burninate our countrysides eh? Seems legit

Stannis is the only one I could see taking him in, but I don't think Jorah would be up for that. Considering how devoted Jorah is , I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to help her from the shadows/sidelines despite her "banishing" him.

*I say Stannis because he may be desperate for ANY men.

Egos on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am just reminded of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, a battle that lasted all of 15 minutes but saw the generals for both of the armies dead by the end of it.

But I mean, this is fiction, things are set up to make a good, interesting story first and foremost. It isn't meant to mimic real life 1 to 1. I mean, what, do we want the show writers/GRRM to roll dice every time a volley of arrows was released and randomly determine which characters dies and whoops guess he hit an important character he still had plans for gotta re-write most of the book now. Of course not!

So we have Stannis leading the charge on the black water with no helmet on because that is good television. You can call it plot armor, and you wouldn't be wrong, I guess, but, it is essentially a necessary evil.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So we have Stannis leading the charge on the black water with no helmet on because that is good television. You can call it plot armor, and you wouldn't be wrong, I guess, but, it is essentially a necessary evil.

If they had given Stannis more airtime/side characters , the could have potentially had another character take his place. But yeah not enough airtime to do that, so they had to go with Stannis. Or else it would be : Be invested in nameless handsome soldier #5

Egos on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I wish the discussion about plot armor had no plot armor

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I wish the discussion about plot armor had no plot armor

*stabs*

TV Tropes sends its regards

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I am just reminded of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, a battle that lasted all of 15 minutes but saw the generals for both of the armies dead by the end of it.

But I mean, this is fiction, things are set up to make a good, interesting story first and foremost. It isn't meant to mimic real life 1 to 1. I mean, what, do we want the show writers/GRRM to roll dice every time a volley of arrows was released and randomly determine which characters dies and whoops guess he hit an important character he still had plans for gotta re-write most of the book now. Of course not!

right

I don't know why everyone's getting so defensive about this, but it's a absolutely a thing it's not even necessarily a bad thing.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Jorah's father was the last Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The same guy who gave Jon Snow that big lecture about how duty and honor are more important than any personal feelings you might have. The same guy that gave up his lordship voluntarily to serve in the Night's Watch in the first place, something he viewed as a noble and honorable service.

Slavery has been outlawed in Westeros for thousands of years, even back in the days before the Targaryens arrived. The disdain for slavery as a custom is probably as strong as the custom for guest rights, and we all saw how Mormont reacted when his men attacked Craster.

I'm pretty sure that if the daughter is anything like the father, she wouldn't exactly welcome Jorah back with open arms for disgracing the family, breaking the law, and then fleeing the just punishment.

• Options

right

I don't know why everyone's getting so defensive about this, but it's a absolutely a thing it's not even necessarily a bad thing.

I think mentally people equate plot armor as bad writing, and thus pointing out plot armor is an accusation of bad writing.

When really only poorly written plot armor is bad writing.

• Options

It wasn't that crazy though, I mean he didn't wade into enemies like a LOTR movie, and surviving retreats is a thing. My comment at the start was just that his survival didn't really have any explanation or scene time at all while a lot of the moments where main characters could have died had clear stated reasons why they didn't.

Also I agree, we can do better than talk about plot armor. Though last episode was just 50 minutes of awesome fighting, there's not really a lot to comment on or speculate about.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

right

It's more when someone says "So and so has plot armor so of course they didn't die."

Except everyone essentially has plot armor right up until they don't.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

right

It's more when someone says "So and so has plot armor so of course they didn't die."

Part of my profound shock and dismay when Ned was killed was my casual assumption, conditioned by years of TV convention, that he had plot armor and couldn't possibly die

But he didn't

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    And no reason he needs to tell anyone who he is.

If Jeor is anything to go by, the Mormounts are a pretty proud group. You don't just waltz in and say "I'm in charge now." Not after you were rightfully exiled by Ned Fucking Stark of all people.

He left the family valarian sword behind after dishonoring them. So that further enforces your point.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

right

Part of my profound shock and dismay when Ned was killed was my casual assumption, conditioned by years of TV convention, that he had plot armor and couldn't possibly die

But he didn't

I'm kinda curious if I would have been shocked or not. Like when someone mentioned the series I immediately knew it as the one where the main dude gets offed in the first book, because so many people were talking about it.

I'm curious because there is also the meta knowledge that a star like Sean Bean might not want to make a long term commitment. I'm certain I would have been surprised if it was a lesser known actor- that is if I hadn't known.

IF that makes sense

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

How many people outside the small council even know that?

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Stannis wasn't just protected by plot to take the lead. He was also a good general in real terms.

Leading the charge was a thing that ancient leaders often did, based on circumstances or temperament. Alexander the Great was crazy like that. Caesar occasionally joined the battle (though I don't think the charge) when he felt the troops at that part of the line needed a boost, that that their glorious leader was in it with them. Stannis would have known that his troops were already scared as fuck that they'd lost half their friends, and could use some leadership by example.

Most battle casualties in those times weren't even suffered in the pitched battle stage. In a battle of tens of thousands per side, the victors lost only a few hundred or a few thousand, and the losers lost tens of thousands: the winners lost their (relatively few) soldiers in the battle; the losers lost most of theirs in the rout.* So a general could on a pure numbers basis be at the front and probably not die.

Yes it was risky. But war is risk. Telling a military leader in that day and age that he couldn't charge into battle because he'd surely die, he'd spit in your face. These generals lived in a time where they had to embody warrior culture to have the respect and loyalty of their men. Leading from the front and all that. Only as the frontlines became super-duper unpredictably dangerous - meaning bullets and other projectiles - did we lose the old warrior ideal of a general leading from the front.

It's weird that we're debating plot armour over something that happened all the time.

*And no, that doesn't mean Stannis couldn't have escaped.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

right

But he didn't

Yeah exactly.

tbh, I wasn't totally sold on the show in season one until that happened. Then I was hooked since it was shown that anyone could die at any time.

The near absence of plot armor is why I like this series.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Well it's not really plot armour so much as the show and the narrative not fully clicking on a realistic level. Plot armour is not people surviving random shit, it's characters surviving such situations because their existence is what the story is about.

It's a combination of a character that is obviously not going to die (being for example the lead of the whole show) and a situation where their survival is extremely unlikely. Stannis didn't die, but he could have and the story could have still gone on. He wasn't protected by the fact that the story was obviously about him.

That said we always have a certain degree in any story of this. Even in real life. There is always luck which is literally indistinguishable from plot armour.

• Options
    Be careful when you start throwing around the R-word, people survive and experience far crazier and weirder stuff in real life than any character does in fiction. Stories has to contend with suspension of disbelief, the real world does not.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

That's called narrative.

It's not like major characters don't die a lot, and people never survive dangerous activities in this incredibly dangerous place.
    Julius wrote: »

Well it's not really plot armour so much as the show and the narrative not fully clicking on a realistic level. Plot armour is not people surviving random shit, it's characters surviving such situations because their existence is what the story is about.

It's a combination of a character that is obviously not going to die (being for example the lead of the whole show) and a situation where their survival is extremely unlikely. Stannis didn't die, but he could have and the story could have still gone on. He wasn't protected by the fact that the story was obviously about him.

That said we always have a certain degree in any story of this. Even in real life. There is always luck which is literally indistinguishable from plot armour.

That's another thing: debating plot armour in an ensemble show with such a high body count is just silly. We all have our private pet-theories about who will sit on the Iron Throne and therefore cannot die for legitimate plot reasons, but none of us knows. Given that, and given how many characters who were so central to the earlier plot are occupying a shallow grave, it's just dumb to say that Stannis clearly couldn't have died at the Blackwater.

Really the only character who is probably protected by the plot at this stage is Dany because if she dies then her whole story will be a weird tangent. As soon as she does something interesting related to claiming the throne she's not safe anymore. That isn't the same as plot armour though.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

right

But he didn't

But....

it was Sean Bean. I think he specifically picks roles without plot armour.

• Options

right

But he didn't

But....

I guess that would've ruined it. I didn't have the meta knowledge of Sean Beans death curse so I certainly didn't see the execution coming.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I always wonder how different I would feel, for better or worse, about GoT if I hadn't had basically...every big moment so far spoiled for me. Not oberyn though at least

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I always wonder how different I would feel, for better or worse, about GoT if I hadn't had basically...every big moment so far spoiled for me. Not oberyn though at least

I had the term Red Wedding ingrained in my mind after looking up Reins of Castamere. But when I first heard it I speculated something completely different.
    basically I thought the Lannisters ,personally, were gonna slaughter everyone at Robb + The Frey Girl's wedding. at the time I didn't know/think it had been called off.

I still thought it was gonna be the Lannisters after Jaime was sent off and Roose was just gonna tip them off

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There's some study that says having stuff 'spoilered' doesn't hurt enjoyment and can potentially increase it.

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/spoilers-dont-spoil-anything/

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    There's some study that says having stuff 'spoilered' doesn't hurt enjoyment and can potentially increase it.

That's definitely true for me.

However, studies also say that watching tragedy and depressing subject matter typically makes people feel happier. That definitely isn't true for me.

My conclusion is that everyone is different, and that both spoiler loving and spoiler hating people exist in the world.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
  • Options
    It hasn't hurt my enjoyment that much, since I didn't know specifics (even regarding Neds).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »

I had the term Red Wedding ingrained in my mind after looking up Reins of Castamere. But when I first heard it I speculated something completely different.
    basically I thought the Lannisters ,personally, were gonna slaughter everyone at Robb + The Frey Girl's wedding. at the time I didn't know/think it had been called off.

I still thought it was gonna be the Lannisters after Jaime was sent off and Roose was just gonna tip them off

Similar boat here.
    When Robb got married, I thought he was safe because his wedding was done and the death at a wedding trope usually involves the groom and/or bride dying. Nope.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

That's definitely true for me.

However, studies also say that watching tragedy and depressing subject matter typically makes people feel happier. That definitely isn't true for me.

My conclusion is that everyone is different, and that both spoiler loving and spoiler hating people exist in the world.

um, excuse me, a study involving a few college kids is definitive, case closed.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

I luuuurve spoilers. Seek them out every chance I get. Actual, old-fashioned, "plot points before content released" spoilers, not "ZOMG, I've had it sitting on my DVR for a month so don't you dare talk about it in public" spoilers.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular

right

But he didn't

But....

Exactly. I think he has some kind of record for on-screen deaths.

The Sean Bean Death Reel

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Stannis leading his men into battle was more to draw contrast between him and Joffrey, to show who was truly capable and interested in ruling and had the capability to back it up. It's not just "good television."

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Stannis leading his men into battle was more to draw contrast between him and Joffrey, to show who was truly capable and interested in ruling and had the capability to back it up. It's not just "good television."

I would say that doing that to draw a larger contrast between him and Joffrey is good television, as in, its good storytelling.

I am not sure what you mean by "not just good television"

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I would say that doing that to draw a larger contrast between him and Joffrey is good television, as in, its good storytelling.

I am not sure what you mean by "not just good television"

Oh, I was calling back to the plot armor thing (didn't realize the thread had moved on so much) in terms of both the thought that "if he had been in the vanguard with his helmet off he totally would have died" and "he was up there because he's a character we know and he had his helmet off so we could tell who he is."

The secondary statement isn't inaccurate, but it's ignoring the contrast which they were trying to make.

This discussion has been closed.