As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Okay, this is being taken too seriously. :P I was just having some fun about the truce with @Big Classy‌. I usually try to spread stuff around when I can, and I don't really have a default target (besides @CorriganX ... for reasons).

Serious or not, Spoit's always a good target. And, what were the conditions of this truce? If someone were to violate it, under what circumstances would it be your fault?

Just for clarification

Conditions?

Um. I can't gift him. There were no particulars discussed. It's a pretty loose treaty actually, and my lawyers are already picking it apart... :P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    Guys everyone go buy Darkwood.

I dunno about Darkwood but this Frayed Knights game that popped up on the store today looks pretty amazing!

A nice fat, 69-page manual? An item called "Quarterstaff of Nad-whacking?" Stats-heavy turn-based RPG?

Yes please!

You had me at Quarterstaff of Nad-whacking

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So I've been strongarmed into a truce with @Big Classy‌ whereby I am strictly forbidden from gifting him at all before January 1, 2015.

This means I need a new "default vent-gifting target" for when I just have to gift right now this very second. Currently taking suggestions and bribes... ;)

Today is @BornToHula's anniversary.
    On the positive, we're upgrading our internet so next week I go from 10/1 to 30/5 Mbps - does that seem sufficient to start successfully streaming?

You should be fine. I am paying for 20/10 and limited my upload to 3Mbps through Obs because setting the quality higher took too much of a hit on my CPU. My portion of the charity stream was in 480p/30fps because I wouldn't have time to pre-test every game and I wanted to avoid performance issues, but I've been able to stream games since then at 720p at 3Mbps and they look fine. I stick to 30fps because most people seem to watch twitch in a window so they can view chat, and the extra power required for 60fps casting is lost on viewers that aren't in fullscreen.

Also, re: your cats conundrum, everyone knows cats can't walk up stairs. Also, dogs can't look up. And bears can't run down hill.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Seems my PC ain't cutting it for Divinity. Guessing 2GB of RAM ain't enough, the game takes a good 5 mins to load up each time, and performance isn't too hot during play either. Come payday I'm going to grab another 2 Gig stick (Am I right in thinking that since I'm still 32-bit that more than 4GB won't be worth it?). Thinking it's also time for an SSD.

Buying upgrades... I think that's me officially back in the PC gaming saddle.

Fired up La Mulana instead, loving it even though I'm stuck every few minutes. Quick question about the early game below (spoilered as I know some people will want to go in blind)
    I've just picked up an ankh jewel item in the first zone proper, is there an corresponding anhk in the same area? Or do I need to venture into the other areas beforehand?

(Paging @Tamin‌ since I've seen you play it a lot lately)

xiears on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    Seems my PC ain't cutting it for Divinity. Guessing 2GB of RAM ain't enough, the game takes a good 5 mins to load up each time, and performance isn't too hot during play either. Come payday I'm going to grab another 2 Gig stick (Am I right in thinking that since I'm still 32-bit that more than 4GB won't be worth it?). Thinking it's also time for an SSD.

Fired up La Mulana instead, loving it even though I'm stuck every few minutes. Quick question about the early game below (spoilered as I know some people will want to go in blind)
    I've just picked up an ankh jewel item in the first zone proper, is there an corresponding anhk in the same area? Or do I need to venture into the other areas beforehand?

If you're using a 32Bit OS chances are you can't even take advantage of more than 4GB. If your CPU can take a 64Bit OS, there is no reason not to upgrade, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    On the positive, we're upgrading our internet so next week I go from 10/1 to 30/5 Mbps - does that seem sufficient to start successfully streaming?

You should be fine. I am paying for 20/10 and limited my upload to 3Mbps through Obs because setting the quality higher took too much of a hit on my CPU. My portion of the charity stream was in 480p/30fps because I wouldn't have time to pre-test every game and I wanted to avoid performance issues, but I've been able to stream games since then at 720p at 3Mbps and they look fine. I stick to 30fps because most people seem to watch twitch in a window so they can view chat, and the extra power required for 60fps casting is lost on viewers that aren't in fullscreen.

Also, re: your cats conundrum, everyone knows cats can't walk up stairs. Also, dogs can't look up. And bears can't run down hill.

Thanks - coming soon: Pretty Pretty Dollhouse featuring Lindsey Lohan. Streaming nothing but home renovations Sims style.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options

@xiears - before you buy anything... post or PM me your current rig specs and stuff. I just built a new rig, which means I have a small collection of potentially useful still-fully-functional hand-me-down parts that I'd be happy to get rid of if someone could use them (notably the RAM/CPU/Mobo).

I also probably have a dusty and un-used copy of a 64-bit OS... would have to double-check on that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Okay, this is being taken too seriously. :P I was just having some fun about the truce with @Big Classy‌. I usually try to spread stuff around when I can, and I don't really have a default target (besides @CorriganX ... for reasons).

Serious or not, Spoit's always a good target. And, what were the conditions of this truce? If someone were to violate it, under what circumstances would it be your fault?

Just for clarification

Conditions?

Um. I can't gift him. There were no particulars discussed. It's a pretty loose treaty actually, and my lawyers are already picking it apart... :P

So, you could trade him, for example?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, a 32bit OS won't see more than 4GB of memory.

Here's the kicker though, if you're running Divinity that means you've got a 64bit CPU. Every Intel CPU past the late Pentium 4s and early early Core Duos has been 64bit, and every AMD CPU since the original Athlon 64 has been 64bit, so you should totally upgrade.

The nice thing about Windows is that your product key is interchangeable between 32 and 64bit versions, so it won't cost you anything to upgrade. The downside is that you can't install a 64bit version of Windows over a 32bit version, you'll have to do a fresh install (meaning you'll have to backup all of your data). Unless you absolutely, positively must have compatibility with ancient 16 bit programs there is no reason not to switch to a 64bit OS. You'd be able to utilize more RAM, and would likely see some increased performance even at 2GB.

As for an SSD, even a "slower" SSD is still night and day compared to a mechanical drive. I dropped one into my machine a little while ago (thanks again @minor incident) and everything feels to much more "snappy". It's awesome. Everyone should get an SSD.

• Options

@xiears - before you buy anything... post or PM me your current rig specs and stuff. I just built a new rig, which means I have a small collection of potentially useful still-fully-functional hand-me-down parts that I'd be happy to get rid of if someone could use them (notably the RAM/CPU/Mobo).

I also probably have a dusty and un-used copy of a 64-bit OS... would have to double-check on that.

I think if he has, for example, Win 7, he can just download the blue river 64 bit image posted earlier in the thread, and use the same activation key.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Just for clarification

Conditions?

That's a good idea - you could trade him a game for a post on the forums thanking you for said game. That seems fair.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    SSD are life, and when you fill up the new one with a bunch of Steam games and levels load so fast you have NO idea what the nifty tool tip was trying to tell you, it's a glorious thing indeed. Before it was "read tool tip two or three times and watch load animations" now it's "hey, was that a load screen? I think that was a load screen. Ah screw it, time to play the game".

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Just for clarification

Conditions?

That's a good idea - you could trade him a game for a post on the forums thanking you for said game. That seems fair.

How about evil twins? Pixie can't gift him, but what about eixiP?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Spoit wrote: »

Just for clarification

Conditions?

How about evil twins? Pixie can't gift him, but what about eixiP?

/checks terms of treaty

Not covered!

... and Geth-approved!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Just finished Spec Ops. Damn good game. If you try to overthink it, you'll kind of ruin the experience (because really, there's no good way to explain some of what happened), but it was definitely worth playing. I can see why people compared it to Gone Home. Totally different games, very similar "make you feel something" styles.
    I was so tempted to pull a meta "the game ends here" and stop playing after my last post. Kind of funny, knowing what I know now.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular

(Paging Tamin‌ since I've seen you play it a lot lately)

xiears - before you buy anything... post or PM me your current rig specs and stuff. I just built a new rig, which means I have a small collection of potentially useful still-fully-functional hand-me-down parts that I'd be happy to get rid of if someone could use them (notably the RAM/CPU/Mobo).

My Specs are:

AMD Phenom 9500 2.2GHz Quad Core
    2 GB RAM
    Geforce 9600 GT

Your kindness knows no bounds Pixie, but I'm in the UK so shipping would probably be redonkulous. Thanks for the offer though :)
    Here's the kicker though, if you're running Divinity that means you've got a 64bit CPU. Every Intel CPU past the late Pentium 4s and early early Core Duos has been 64bit, and every AMD CPU since the original Athlon 64 has been 64bit, so you should totally upgrade.

Bloody hell, I'd always assumed that since my processor is old (or at least it feels like it), that it was 32-bit, but your post made me double check and lo and behold it is 64-bit. Awesome! I'm definitely picking up an SSD next week then so I'll know to go with 64-bit Win 7 when I do the upgrade.

Thanks everyone for the advice :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    Guys everyone go buy Darkwood.

I dunno about Darkwood but this Frayed Knights game that popped up on the store today looks pretty amazing!

A nice fat, 69-page manual? An item called "Quarterstaff of Nad-whacking?" Stats-heavy turn-based RPG?

Yes please!

You had me at Quarterstaff of Nad-whacking

I played a table top. We had a ring of C@*%-Knocking. When someone asked, "What is the ring of C@*%-Knocking, the ring would find the closest one to knock. Now, if you happened to be in the Deseret and female, if you said it, you would be flung to the closest one. Maybe even in a town. If you were male, well you hit yourself. And being cursed you couldn't take it off. I forget how it came off.

As for steam, anyone every considered just making up steam acounts like Pixie|eixiP, CorriganXX, Big Isy, and randomly gifiting unsuspecting people via e-mail?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

(Paging Tamin‌ ‌ since I've seen you play it a lot lately)

La-Mulana early spoilers
    Yes, there is a corresponding Ankh in the area.

edit: also, guys and gals, would you please strip mentions when quoting posts?

(I really wish Geth / the forum software would do that automatically, but ...)

Tamin on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    A few more hours into Arkham Origins, a bit more optimistic about it. It still feels too "here's an open world but there's not much to do other than travel around" so far, but the boss fight with Deathstroke was cool and side missions are slowly starting to appear.

• Options
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    geth roll 1d15 for @CorriganX‌

1d15 2 [1d15=2]

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    You people are cruel.
    ...what? Did you think I was going to @ him or something?

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but the guys at Overkill are doing something like DoTA2's compendium goals.

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/crimefest/

They're giving free stuff away for milestones reached. One of those things is the Original Payday for free. You just join the official group. They said that you don't have to own the game for it to count towards the goal. So if joining one more group won't kill you, you'll be helping the PA Crimetime crew get more loot.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Pinkquisition, carry on.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone have a free benchmark software link by chance? I dunno how bad upgrading to 64 bit has hampered my 7 year old rig (still plays state of decay well, as well as DoW retribution)

I just benchmarked ARMA2 after downloading it and I got 11 FPS. :o

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @CorriganX loves the attention.
    geese_2622145b.jpg

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I am proud that I have never not once @'d CorriganX
    I am giving away a game though:

signature.png

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Can someone pm me the significance of the geese? I know it comes from one of his streams but that's it

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I beat Remember Me today! I'm working on a detailed review, but for starters I'll just note that you can find @Pixelated Pixie‌ trying to lay low in it.

KcUoEWt.jpg

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Turned Arma 2 down from high to very low....up to 17FPS.

edit: I really enjoy open world games, most of my list incorporate them.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Turned Arma 2 down from high to very low....up to 17FPS.

edit: I really enjoy open world games, most of my list incorporate them.

The main trick with Arma is often view distance. In alot of the campaign it's mostly infantry stuff so you can pretty safely turn it down to around 500m if your PC really struggles.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I met some Devolver dudes at PAX East, and the guys who made Always Sometimes Monsters and Gods Will Be Watching. They seemed like cool dudes in the Giant Bomb panel line, so you should do what I cannot right now and support their games if you can afford to do so!

1. Enter
    2a. Win!
    2b. Have an hour left to grab a copy pre-release.

signature.png

I uh, appreciate the gesture. But I posted my message right before I fell asleep, so....yeah.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I met some Devolver dudes at PAX East, and the guys who made Always Sometimes Monsters and Gods Will Be Watching. They seemed like cool dudes in the Giant Bomb panel line, so you should do what I cannot right now and support their games if you can afford to do so!

1. Enter
    2a. Win!
    2b. Have an hour left to grab a copy pre-release.

signature.png

I uh, appreciate the gesture. But I posted my message right before I fell asleep, so....yeah.

You called for devs to be supported. Devs were supported. Your narcolepsy does not concern me (although you might want to see someone about that...)

;)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Spec Ops: The Line.

Jesus Christ.

Huge spoiler:
    Just saw the result of my WP attack on an army (give or take). As soon as I saw that collection of heat signatures, I knew I was in for something bad. I wasn't quite prepared for that.

Time to press on ... I guess.

Can someone totally spoil spec ops: the line for me? I don't ever plan on playing it and I'm wondering what the fuss is about.

It's a pretty short game that you could get through on some rainy afternoon.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    geese_2622145b.jpg

This is clearly ten geese, not four.

Madican on
  • Options
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    f3rret wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Spec Ops: The Line.

Jesus Christ.

Huge spoiler:
    Just saw the result of my WP attack on an army (give or take). As soon as I saw that collection of heat signatures, I knew I was in for something bad. I wasn't quite prepared for that.

Time to press on ... I guess.

Can someone totally spoil spec ops: the line for me? I don't ever plan on playing it and I'm wondering what the fuss is about.

It's a pretty short game that you could get through on some rainy afternoon.

It says I played for 7 hours. I know for a fact that at least one hour was the game just idling. I probably could have beaten in more quickly if I was just trying to get through it, but I was pretty into it. Also, there is one section at the end that I had to do like 6 or 7 times because I would get really far into the fight then die in like 2 hits (even though I shrugged off hundreds of bullets otherwise) and have to start way back.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Speaking on SSDs, I recently rebuilt my entire computer and it has one of those in there with two 1TB drives I had lying around as well. I'm tempted to just install everything I might possibly play and use steammover to throw it onto the external storage and just load up whatever I plan to play on the SSD, because Steammover is that easy. Like carts! Except digital!

And yeah, Divinity Original Sin is fantastic so far. It's Baldur's Gate with X-Com/Silent Storm combat! Everyone needs to be playing this!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    geese_2622145b.jpg

This is clearly ten geese, not four.
    If he claims he can easily beat four then ten should be no problem.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Ok, guys. In about 20 minutes or so, I'll be starting my playthrough of Among the Sleep, for the charity drive. If you'd like to join me/laugh at me as I get scared, here's a link to my Twitch channel!

Edit: I'm having some technical issues. It may be a bit longer. I'll post when it's working!

Berylline on
This discussion has been closed.