As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, I see lots of x-com things popping in up here. Where they in a humble bundle? Well I have no idea why I would make myself a target, but in the interest of finding something a home, I hear there ok. I have only one x-com thing.

I can't promise I would play them in this lifetime though. You know, I serve the newell.

@DyasAlure Did you want any/all of the original X-Com games. Because I have them, and nobody seems to want them.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So, for my edification how exactly would one play games with the PS3 controller? What software or other arcane methods are used?

I am assisting my brother in setting up a Steam account and getting into the (master race) of gaming, but he'd really like to use his existing controller if possible.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    TreadLife wrote: »
    Noticed a lot of new hardware being shown off in the thread, which is really nothing new. Circumstances have given me reason to do the same. Well, sort of, technically this is a video of somebody else who has the exact same model as my laptop. Said laptop decided to play dead yesterday morning, and some research showed me that this was inevitable. Apparently my methods of keeping my gear clean and cooled just postponed it a lot. There was even a recall I missed related to an Nvidia defect, which of course I missed the window on. Anyway, here's what the same thing I did to my laptop to bring it back to life:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RHxLC1vi0Xw&feature=youtu.be&t=4m51s

Now I can get back to work, and hopefully soon, gaming. I gotta get myself a better gaming rig. Case in point, look what classiness befell me when I was living low tech today:

gf3nrmjzir2e.jpg

@Talus9952 makes a good point, I really need to keep better track of the bigger things in life. Thanks for that sweet reminder!

If you want to see a horrific amount of dust come out of your laptop, get some canned air, and with your laptop upside down, blow across the exhaust vent. If you do it right, your fan should start whirring as it's spinning backwards, and dust should go shooting up out of the bottom of your laptop. This should be done powered off, perhaps with the battery out just for good measure, because you do not want to try to counter-rotate your vent fan while it's trying to spin forwards. It should be ok though with the power off, because it should be a brushless motor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, I see lots of x-com things popping in up here. Where they in a humble bundle? Well I have no idea why I would make myself a target, but in the interest of finding something a home, I hear there ok. I have only one x-com thing.

I can't promise I would play them in this lifetime though. You know, I serve the newell.

@DyasAlure Did you want any/all of the original X-Com games. Because I have them, and nobody seems to want them.

Sure, just remember I serve well, and have a giant backlog collection.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    And after a some tasks and a few reboots, my laptop is starting up to a blank screen and not booting again.
    Fuck

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, for my edification how exactly would one play games with the PS3 controller? What software or other arcane methods are used?

I am assisting my brother in setting up a Steam account and getting into the (master race) of gaming, but he'd really like to use his existing controller if possible.

Get a bluetooth dongle and connect it to the pc.....I remember doing this research before, I think you just need a few open source bits.
    *hits google*
    http://lifehacker.com/5883374/how-i-improved-my-life-with-a-ps3-controller
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/how-to-connect-a-ps3-controller-to-a-pc/#!bkV6C0
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-PS3-Controller-on-a-PC

I'm full of shit, use those links.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I love the word dongle

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    They were crazy to not include an analog stick in the first place. It might have taken the millionth person to tell them that, but at least they finally listened. Now you have a choice for the left control, and can use which ever method suits the game you're playing.

My mind assumes the worst:

"Hey guys, scrap the R&D on the telepathic movement system from the controller, they REALLY want an analog stick."

"Well ok, but it means we're going to have to completely re-design Half-life 3, thats going to take forever."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I finished Remember Me (thanks again Iolo!)

The game has decent but unremarkable combat and some not-too-difficult platforming, with a few great puzzles here and there and a smattering of other nice gameplay moments, but I can see why a lot of critics panned it as it doesn't do anything really new.

What it does have is style. The art direction for the game is fantastic, and I wish the levels were more open just so I could see more of this world they crafted. Dare I say it's the most stylish dystopian city-based game with a female protagonist since Mirror's Edge?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love the word dongle

A little dingle dang.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    geth roll 1d7 for watchdags

edit - Dice clatter ominously across the table...

Congratulations to @Jazz for Watch Dogs.

Woohoo! Thank you so much! <3

Now to blow stuff up with an iPhone while wearing an iconic cap. Which is kind of what I do a lot of the time anyway... ;)

Jazz on
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    thanks @lowlander for all the x-com... Now I to can use X at my coms to communicate... What is that what those where?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular

This is all you need really
    http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Just don't use Motioninjoy

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    *jumps out of bed and fires up Steam to start downloading Gods Will Be Watching*

*sees that it won't unlock for another 6 hours*

FFFFFUUUUUUUU- oh well, that's when I get off work so I can engage in my pastime of staying up unhealthily late trying to complete an entire game!

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Gods Will Be Watching looks great. Torture stuff aside, I guess? I'm curious how that particular part of the game works. I hear "torture in a video game" and my mind goes immediately to Black Ops.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Gods Will Be Watching is out today? Shit. Yes.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    When I was in Akihabara, Tokyo, I found two games in the arcade and I played the everliving fuck out of them like I would never see them again.

The first was Guilty Gear Xrd, which was the most metal shit ever. The second was the shooter Crimzon Clover which I never heard of before...

Oh wait...Crimzon Clover is on Steam!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtAb4PB_94

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I met some Devolver dudes at PAX East, and the guys who made Always Sometimes Monsters and Gods Will Be Watching. They seemed like cool dudes in the Giant Bomb panel line, so you should do what I cannot right now and support their games if you can afford to do so!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I gave up trying to connect my PS3 controller to my PC, and just bought a wired XBox controller. Works great!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I met some Devolver dudes at PAX East, and the guys who made Always Sometimes Monsters and Gods Will Be Watching. They seemed like cool dudes in the Giant Bomb panel line, so you should do what I cannot right now and support their games if you can afford to do so!

1. Enter
    2a. Win!
    2b. Have an hour left to grab a copy pre-release.

signature.png

EDIT: Boom! A winner is @DHS Odium‌!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    I gave up trying to connect my PS3 controller to my PC, and just bought a wired XBox controller. Works great!

And while we're on the subject, my monstrous control scheme preference is to use the controller when driving, and KBAM while on foot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    @Iolo is like some kind of clockwork Class machine, dispensing Class at regular intervals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    When I was in Akihabara, Tokyo, I found two games in the arcade and I played the everliving fuck out of them like I would never see them again.

The first was Guilty Gear Xrd, which was the most metal shit ever. The second was the shooter Crimzon Clover which I never heard of before...

Oh wait...Crimzon Clover is on Steam!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtAb4PB_94

That's one of my dream places to go.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So I've been strongarmed into a truce with @Big Classy‌ whereby I am strictly forbidden from gifting him at all before January 1, 2015.

This means I need a new "default vent-gifting target" for when I just have to gift right now this very second. Currently taking suggestions and bribes... ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I like gifts :) And you look very pretty in pink today

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I've been strongarmed into a truce with @Big Classy‌ whereby I am strictly forbidden from gifting him at all before January 1, 2015.

This means I need a new "default vent-gifting target" for when I just have to gift right now this very second. Currently taking suggestions and bribes... ;)
    I vote Geth.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    f3rret wrote: »

I've already let him know that just buying a wired Microsoft brand controller is the easiest. He'd still like to try. ;)
    So I've been strongarmed into a truce with Big Classy whereby I am strictly forbidden from gifting him at all before January 1, 2015.

I'm not a very good target; I can't retaliate.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    So I've been strongarmed into a truce with Big Classy whereby I am strictly forbidden from gifting him at all before January 1, 2015.

I'm not a very good target; I can't retaliate.

FTFY

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    :smile:
    :neutral_face:
    :fearful:
    :cold_sweat:

Wait! I meant . . . um . . . uh . . . fuck, I got nothin'. This is what happens when trying to think under pressure at 8 in the morning, apparently.

Or maybe that's "trying to think at all before 10 am" in my case . . .

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Well, I guess when in doubt there's always @CorriganX ...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Oh - I have a better one - Smokestacks.

Reasoning:
    A.) He sent me a game recently.
    B.) He tried to put together a nice care package for someone but in the process had his backpack and PSPs stolen.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

What about @minor incident? He's been sending people computer parts, right?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh - I have a better one - Smokestacks.

Reasoning:
    A.) He sent me a game recently.
    B.) He tried to put together a nice care package for someone but in the process had his backpack and PSPs stolen.

You make a compelling argument.

... especially bringing up the backpack part. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

wtf how did I get brought up into this.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Geese, mostly.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Well, I guess when in doubt there's always CorriganX ...

I just figure it always circles back to you, which is why we put your name at the end of posts in spoilers all the time . . .

I don't mind being a target my own self, provided folks know I can only gift back/pass it on once in a blue moon.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Been playing a good amount of Divinity Original Sin the past few days. Had a false start, went back to the drawing board on my starting characters. But cooking through now. Up to level 7 and kicking some ghost pirates, crab people, and orcs around. Spiffy game. I need to set aside some time for the latest Walking Dead episode also. Other than that, adopted a new cat. Having to keep her isolated at the moment till she works some of the shelter crud out of her system. Don't want to spread it around to the others.

• Options
    I started Sims 3 again yesterday - Seasons is pretty awesome. It adds mermaid outfits which is super cool and a bunch of new outdoor activities. Plus, my kitchen is now outfitted with a snocone maker. Oh, and there are Seasons and stuff once you stop playing dollhouse and actually get out of the build/buy modes too.

I was bummed to remember kittens can't climb stairs after building a super kitty fun palace on my 2nd floor...so now I need to reorganize and move the cat room downstairs since my sim's life goal is to take in 6 animals from the shelter and it feels like cats are the easiest choice to do that in terms of maintenance.

I also grabbed the Sims 2 bundle only to find it doesn't seem to have native support for my monitor - so I guess I have to see if there is any way to update that manually. The load times for the Sims 2 Ultimate are really painful though.

On the positive, we're upgrading our internet so next week I go from 10/1 to 30/5 Mbps - does that seem sufficient to start successfully streaming?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Why not just spread the love?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.