As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Connected home stuff should get p cool over the next couple years

I'm worried about IFTT's future though, like, where/how do they make money to continue to operate

They are cruising on VC money right now, just picked up $30 million in August.

I am 99% sure they are angling for a massive buyout.

Bluuuuuuuh

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I mean

There's probably revenue streams they can explore. Custom IFTTT setups for enterprises. Hell I bet hotels would love the shit out of custom smartphone-driven wakeup calls. I can think of a few uses for my company, even.

But the kind of data Google could extract out of this for their own analytics is worth billions

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Okay how do I take a screenshot on the note 4 without waving my hand all over it?

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Try holding Home and Power. That does it on my S4.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Try holding Home and Power. That does it on my S4.

I tried. All it does is go back to the home screen. I have the gestures for it turned off

• Options
    Nope wait never mind it did it

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    IFTTT seems like the kind of company that would benefit from being bought out by like...not Google or Apple

Yahoo? Maybe Yahoo

I have dug way deep into Tasker and Zooper and maaaaan am I making my phone do some shit

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Autovoice is neat too. It can hook into the Ok Google voice recognition and run Tasker events straight from there.

Also make sure to turn on everywhere voice recognition if it's not already on. To do that do a Google search for "OK Google everywhere" and then go to settings, voice, Ok Google detection.

E: Also, if you need text expansion, Xposed Installer has a module for that called Xposed Macro Expand.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I couldn't sleep so I have played a bunch of Pinball arcade on my phone. Finally got a high score on twilight zone.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Hey Dan... Ask me IFTT I give a fuck.

I don't actually mean that. I barely know what that even is. I just wanted to say it.

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Guys I want to works a ridiculous amount of money of a pair of Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones.

Good idea y/n.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Bought two Moto X's today. They are set to show up on Tuesday. I don't think I'll go with a case, but I am going to get some screen protectors. I'm so excited!

I haven't even seen a release date here for the new Moto X yet. The 2014 Moto G is out, but nothing on the X :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Guys I want to works a ridiculous amount of money of a pair of Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones.

Good idea y/n.

Do they have to be Bluetooth and how much is ridiculous?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    IFTTT seems like the kind of company that would benefit from being bought out by like...not Google or Apple

Yahoo? Maybe Yahoo

I have dug way deep into Tasker and Zooper and maaaaan am I making my phone do some shit

Yahoo's not a bad choice, they actually do some cool stuff with tech - their Pipes system ca do some neat stuff.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Good idea y/n.

Do they have to be Bluetooth and how much is ridiculous?

Well I already have Bluetooth headphones and I already have noise cancelling headphones.

So yes.

• Options
    Autovoice is neat too. It can hook into the Ok Google voice recognition and run Tasker events straight from there.

Also make sure to turn on everywhere voice recognition if it's not already on. To do that do a Google search for "OK Google everywhere" and then go to settings, voice, Ok Google detection.

E: Also, if you need text expansion, Xposed Installer has a module for that called Xposed Macro Expand.

Always detect is on by default on a Moto X because you can customize the phrase it listens or

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @Abracadaniel‌ is there something on OS X I can use so that if I feel the need to connect via tethering I can restrict apps / data usage? Like restricting Backblaze for example
    Or like only allowing Safari / Adium etc

poo
  • Options
    Hmm looks like Little Snitch might be the answer

poo
  • Options
    Little Snitch is exactly what I would have recommended

• Options

Always detect is on by default on a Moto X because you can customize the phrase it listens or

I couldn't remember what phone you got so I figured I'd throw it out there.

• Options
    also I have been pouring over material design docs for like two days now and I think I might finally have gone off the deep end

• Options
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm Little Snitch seems pretty cool but also a little bit of a pain in the butt having to teach it what's safe and what isn't.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So a thing popped up at work that we don't know enough to explain. We have a mac running osx10 with 48 gigs of ram. I didn't even know that was a thing. Can the OS actually use that or did someone just future proof the hell out of this one?

• Options
    spent like 9 hours yesterday customizing my launcher with cool widgets and all this minimalistic shit

woke up this morning and decided I want to go back to the stock launcher

android

• Options
    I messed with Themer for a bit and it was a lot of work just for a neat black and white clock on my home screen. Nova Launcher is just fine.

• Options
    I'm also strongly debating Hangouts as my default SMS app but man there are just so UI things I do nottt like about Hangouts

also the fact that it doesn't let me set individual text tones per contact (how is this not built into stock android)

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I use hangouts for SMS.

It's kinda weird.

• Options
    Little Snitch is not so bad to use, I downloaded it

As long as I block BackBlaze and Dropbox and some other stuff I am good

Also - guys - is there something for Safari that I can just block images or something

poo
  • Options
    Nvm, figured it out, Develop menu bar - disable images

poo
  • Options
    Little Snitch is not so bad to use, I downloaded it

As long as I block BackBlaze and Dropbox and some other stuff I am good

Also - guys - is there something for Safari that I can just block images or something

I guess I just don't have the same use case. I don't (currently) tether my laptop for any reason, and the only other main purpose for Little Snitch seems to be monitoring outbound communications, but most of that stuff is boring still like contacting servers to check for app updates.

I'll just stick w Cloak and/or VyprVPN for secure browsing biz.

• Options
    Yeah I am at a coffee shop right now without wifi so... figured this was smart

poo
  • Options
    the hell kind of coffee shop aint got wifi

• Options
    Friend found this

github dingus to enable Continuity on older Macs

• Options
    One that is more concerned with coffee than WiFi.

• Options
    I can dig it

• Options
    I JUST BOUGHT DOG FOOD USING MY PHONE

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I'm also strongly debating Hangouts as my default SMS app but man there are just so UI things I do nottt like about Hangouts

also the fact that it doesn't let me set individual text tones per contact (how is this not built into stock android)

This right here is 100% of the reason I switched to Textra.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Got my moto x today. It's such a huge upgrade from my 4s. And it feels so good in the hand. Like I thought a phone this big would feel clumsy, but no the thin edges feel great.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadEddy wrote: »

This right here is 100% of the reason I switched to Textra.

Yeah I was using Textra for that reason

I compensated by using tasker to send individual tones when I get messages

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    My moto x shipped! It'll be here Monday!

This discussion has been closed.