As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    architect of SPECTRE maybe

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tam you are confusing me. Its not difficult. (e: difficult to confuse me that is)

Liiya on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »

What do you call drafting software. Like CAD?

We call them drawing programs. So CAD is a drawing program for technical drawings, or orthographic drawings.

Are you an architect Jebus? I think you are, I remember talking to you about it once?

I'm glad I cut a good image here. No i'm a lowly office slave. Secretary isn't quite right. Something like that. Office assistant.

Bending gender boundaries at any rate, the only other guy who works at the front desk of our offices is flaming gay.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking; only one day so far and I've gone from most of a pack to less than half a pack.

To take the place of cigarettes, I've got it down to a choice between heroin and some kind of healthy snack like dried fruit or wheat crackers. Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

Have you considered a MMO?

I've already decided against heroin, thank you very much.

But you can come play WoW with us~!

Yes this

Newegg fucked up my Cyber Monday order; if I still have my contract after New Year's Day, I might bribe you and @Bohlder with Alamo Draft House in exchange for a trip to Micro Center ...

Because fuck Fry's.

As a veteran of that place, I can do nothing but agree.

• Options

What do you call drafting software. Like CAD?

We call them drawing programs. So CAD is a drawing program for technical drawings, or orthographic drawings.

Are you an architect Jebus? I think you are, I remember talking to you about it once?

I'm glad I cut a good image here. No i'm a lowly office slave. Secretary isn't quite right. Something like that. Office assistant.

Bending gender boundaries at any rate, the only other guy who works at the front desk of our offices is flaming gay.

Ooh. There is an architect on here for sure, you could have fooled me for sure!

• Options
    Tam you are confusing me. Its not difficult. (e: difficult to confuse me that is)

You expect MI6 will save you Liiya? I'm certain my Sonic-Volcano machine will clarify things for you! MWAHAHAH!

• Options

You expect MI6 will save you Liiya? I'm certain my Sonic-Volcano machine will clarify things for you! MWAHAHAH!

Nooo if only the Q department still made exploding pens to get me out of this scrape!

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    There was a small fire in Los Angeles this morning.

Received a text telling me not to come into work. I work in the building across from the former building-under-construction. Most of our building's windows are shattered. The logo on our building started to melt. I've heard the sprinklers went off.

I don't know when I'm going back to work.

At least no one was hurt.

We were just told our office is going to be closed for the rest of the week. But don't tell our clients that. We are still up and working.

This is frustrating.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I am away from home for college right now, about 7ish hours away and working at a local movie theatre. It's a really good job and I like my coworkers but I've hit a snag.

The one time I go home in the year to see my family is Christmas, so I told my manager a few weeks ago that I was planning on booking December 20th - January 2nd off and asked if that was okay. He responded with, "Well... we are going to be letting people go in January and that is a lot of time to book off." So I told him I'd change my availability to full time in the two weeks before I left to hopefully help balance it out. He agreed that would help. I had this conversation with him twice.

We have a small black scheduling book we use to write down things like this as well. So, I wrote that I was available full time every day December 5th-21st, and wanted the 22nd-2nd off. Then, this Sunday my manager made up the holiday schedules and misread what I wrote, thinking that I wanted the 5th-21st off and wanted to work the 22nd-2nd. He booked me for around 60 hours.

I came in today, saw this, and told my Assistant Manager that the schedule must be wrong. She phoned my manager who then told her that it was my mistake because I wrote it wrong and he wasn't changing the schedule.

Basically I see it coming down to two solutions, a) I don't work those shifts because he corrects the schedule/gives me the time off or b) I don't work those shifts and I quit/get fired. I would be willing to compromise a bit but my manager is stubborn.

Any suggestions?

Well, did you write it down wrong? Because if not it should be pretty easy to prove he screwed up.

I wrote it down in a way that I can understand how he would misread it (but not wrong necessarily), but even still there were the two prior conversations I had with him. He could have phoned me while making the schedule and double checked, having two long conversations about booking Christmas off and then writing down I wanted to work as much as I can during Christmas doesn't make much sense.

Either way, even if I did prove he screwed up (which there were witnesses to one of the conversations), I can't go above his head really. It's a chain of theatres but a small one and I think we have a District Manager but in the 8 months I've worked here I've never met him and he's never visited.

He's trying to get you to quit so you're one less person to fire

That makes a lot of sense. I guess it probably coincides with the time I am booking off. The other managers like me, think I do good work and I get along well with everyone but, in terms of seniority even working there for 8 months places me in the bottom 6 of a 30 person staff. He has his favorites that he prioritizes over others and I'm not one of them.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking; only one day so far and I've gone from most of a pack to less than half a pack.

To take the place of cigarettes, I've got it down to a choice between heroin and some kind of healthy snack like dried fruit or wheat crackers. Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

Have you considered a MMO?

I've already decided against heroin, thank you very much.

But you can come play WoW with us~!

Yes this

Newegg fucked up my Cyber Monday order; if I still have my contract after New Year's Day, I might bribe you and @Bohlder with Alamo Draft House in exchange for a trip to Micro Center ...

Because fuck Fry's.

As a veteran of that place, I can do nothing but agree.

I clocked four months at CompUSA before it folded ... I think I was 28 ... 8+ years ago if memory serves.

My crowing achievement was losing my shit on the store manager and bellowing in my best parade-deck-jarhead-ain't-gonna-put-up-with-this-shit-anymore-voice:

"I am not a pizza delivery boy! You just had me clock out and go fetch pizzas at an address for a Little Caesar's that doesn't even exist! On my own dime! With no compensation for gas! If the company is too cheap to tip a driver, then I'm too done with bending over backwards to cover shifts for people who get sick the day before any shopping holiday!"

It took less than two days to find a new job and I was out of there in less than a month.

Oh, we had the worst profit margin in the entire company ... it might have had to do with the fact that we were across the street from our corporate offices ... and employees pay for at-cost-product ... and we also shipped for employees for free ... nationally.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Got a ticket escalated to me today as an emergency, lawyer couldn't send a dictation to his assistant and urgently needed to. tier 1 tech had already had him check the cables, but said the dictation was being detected as a USB drive and the dictation software wasn't picking it up.

Called the user, connected to their computer. Started the dictation software, asked the user to plug in the device. Dictation downloaded and sent successfully.

Vented to my boss a bit, he asked if there was a knowledge base article the tier 1 tech could have referred to.

I'm not sure if I'm capable writing an article that amounts to "if a piece of software isn't working, make sure it's actually running" without coming across as condescending.

Considering having to write such an article is approximately as absurd as the tier 1 techs having to refer to it in the first place, maybe a certain amount of "Really? Really?" is kinda warranted.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep asking me the same questions and expecting the answer to somehow magically have changed.

Why do people keep asking you the same questions and expecting the answer to magically change?

I hate it when people keep asking you the same questions expecting the answer to magically change, don't you?

wait a minute. so what you are saying... is that people keep asking the same questions...but the answer doesn't change?

I would try to kill you with my mind but there's people ahead of you, so you'll have to take a number.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Did anyone else watch The Ben Stiller show? Sometimes it feels like I was the only one.

Sometimes.....

Die Hard 12: Die Hungry.

"He's running out of time, he's running out of food, and he's running out of one liners!"

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Did anyone else watch The Ben Stiller show? Sometimes it feels like I was the only one.

Sometimes.....

Die Hard 12: Die Hungry.

"He's running out of time, he's running out of food, and he's running out of one liners!"

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of ass."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular

I watched that show all the time. It was almost a larval Mr. Show, with Bob Odenkirk just starting to stretch his writing wings. PJ O'Pootertoots could have been a Mr Show skit.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nah, the scene was intercut with McClain grabbing a box of toothpicks and a package of straws, then using them as a bunch of blowguns (at once) then there's a pause after the third line where he kinda blanks for a second before say "hope I didnt pick on you to hard."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Nah, the scene was intercut with McClain grabbing a box of toothpicks and a package of straws, then using them as a bunch of blowguns (at once) then there's a pause after the third line where he kinda blanks for a second before say "hope I didnt pick on you to hard."

Something sort of like that happens in the 1995 Jean Claude Van Damme smash hit Sudden Death. Also he throws a dude into a deep fryer.

• Options
    I don't know why people keep asking me the same questions and expecting the answer to somehow magically have changed.

Why do people keep asking you the same questions and expecting the answer to magically change?

I hate it when people keep asking you the same questions expecting the answer to magically change, don't you?

wait a minute. so what you are saying... is that people keep asking the same questions...but the answer doesn't change?

I would try to kill you with my mind but there's people ahead of you, so you'll have to take a number.

Shouldn't have taken that job at Quantum physics & Epistemology LLC.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Now it's time for: Ask Manson!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular

the entire Universe has concluded that Jebus looks like a bond villain

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Die Hard 12: Angry Men

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    And now kids, counting with Bruce Springsteen!

• Options

You kill.

I'll clean.

Dave the Intern goes for tacos.

Sound good?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've got an idea for a business. It's a phone hotline where you can ring up and let off steam by screaming at people. Except (this is the trick) instead of being underpaid customer service representatives, they're all people who deserve it.

I figure ex politicians are going to be my biggest talent pool, but I'm open to suggestions.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The hold music is always Shout by Tears for Fears.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Will you let me scream obscenities in your ear, Chico?

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I've got an idea for a business. It's a phone hotline where you can ring up and let off steam by screaming at people. Except (this is the trick) instead of being underpaid customer service representatives, they're all people who deserve it.

I figure ex politicians are going to be my biggest talent pool, but I'm open to suggestions.

Lawyers, insurance, telemarketers, etc.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Will you let me scream obscenities in your ear, Chico?

Only if you want to go faster.

• Options

It's true, lobbyists will do anything for money.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Oh! Entities like the Westboro BC assholes. They would be perfect for such a hotline.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    We could tell them they're exorcising demons over the phone. Which wouldn't be wrong.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    We could tell them they're exorcising demons over the phone. Which wouldn't be wrong.

Shit, if you spun it like that you probably wouldn't even have to pay them....

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Usagi wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Shit, if you spun it like that you probably wouldn't even have to pay them....

You know ...

With so much drama in the WBC,
    It's gotta be hard bein' G-O-double-D ...

The double D's are for the double dose of pimpin' He provides.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular

You kill.

I'll clean.

Dave the Intern goes for tacos.

Sound good?

Deal.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Press 1 to yell at a politician. For someone in middle management, press 2. For bad drivers, press 3. If you'd like to yell at clumsy software that never works right, press 0, or begin yelling at any time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    'Tis the grading season so I'll have 160 exams and about 1500 pages of reports to grade starting tomorrow!
    The world will soon be rife with engineers.

Definetly will need to stock up on tea and music to tone down the impending loss of sanity.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Fun fact. We totally ruined a kid's life today.

He was acting all strange and trying to sign into the library without a pass and one of my para's smelled marijuana on him. Like reeking of it. An administrator was walking through and she told him, he leans over, smells him, "okay let's go," he says.

Kid had a warm pipe and weed on him.

Probably not how that kid thought his day was going to end when he woke up that morning.

I typed out and then deleted 3-4 responses to this, but the notion that whether or not his life is really ruined almost certainly depends on how white he is is a sad fact, and all of the bitter jokes that came to mind felt really inappropriate.

Not only that, regardless of how ruined his life does or does not get, that's not on you or the administration. Kid came to school high with a weed pipe on his person. Any ruin that comes upon him is entirely due to his own choices. You have done no ruining.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Fun fact. We totally ruined a kid's life today.

He was acting all strange and trying to sign into the library without a pass and one of my para's smelled marijuana on him. Like reeking of it. An administrator was walking through and she told him, he leans over, smells him, "okay let's go," he says.

Kid had a warm pipe and weed on him.

Probably not how that kid thought his day was going to end when he woke up that morning.

I typed out and then deleted 3-4 responses to this, but the notion that whether or not his life is really ruined almost certainly depends on how white he is is a sad fact, and all of the bitter jokes that came to mind felt really inappropriate.

Not only that, regardless of how ruined his life does or does not get, that's not on you or the administration. Kid came to school high with a weed pipe on his person. Any ruin that comes upon him is entirely due to his own choices. You have done no ruining.

Seriously. All the dedicated stoners I knew in high school/college were like air filtering and sealing engineering wizards.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Come to Dallas, experience the Anger Room. Every city should have one. $25 for 5 minutes of sheer destructive bliss

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    The only thing keeping me from flipping out in this meeting is the adorable old lady next to me that clearly needs help navigating what the hell is going on.

But oh boy are people saying stupid shit today.

This discussion has been closed.