As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAYDAY2 [CHAT] (please read OP if you play)

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Being ethical is great. SKFM, you should give it a shot!!

did they teach you about ethics at accountant school?

I imagine they are whispered about in the young accountant boarding school dormitories. "I heard Philpot got caught by the Ethical Investigator" and all the other kids shiver and cross themselves. Confused pictures of what the students think an 'Ethic' is, the consensus being a cross between the Child Catcher and Sauron.
    They make us take ethics exams and continuing ethics classes

Unlike frog rammers who get their ethics lessons from Ron Paul and a talking dog

dat zither music

the third man is such a great movie. i'm kind of surprised it doesn't get referenced more - it seems like it's kind of slid into relative obscurity

i have heard it mentioned a lot by various filmbros

i mean, barely anybody actually refers to anything in citizen kane when you think about it

they just say "oh its the citizen kane of x"

whereas i frequently hear references to the switzerland speech or the zither music

The Third Man is more fun than Citizen Kane

like, I sometimes see people (who have generally not actually watched the movie) suggest that Kane's only virtue lay in its technical accomplishments so now it isn't worth watching

they say this generally to console themselves for not having seen it, but the fact is that not many people are ever actually that up to watch an emotionally chilly movie about a man slowly driving away everyone who cares about him over the course of decades until he dies alone

that is not crowd-pleaser material in any era. I love There Will Be Blood but lots and lots and lots of people are never going to be game to just pop that on the Netflix randomly on a Saturday night and that is the hip modern accessible version of the same kind of story

The Third Man, by contrast, is a stylish, atmospheric mystery in an exotic locale with supremely quotable dialogue so I think if you can actually sit people down to watch it they will probably find it much much easier to get into

and then the zither takes hold

Citizen Kane is a great movie, but it is certainly not a fun movie. I watched it solely as a movie, not as an education of film technique. Highly recommended to watch it as a movie.

oh, I completely agree, and probably should have made that clearer in my post. I really dig Kane and watch it every three or four years. But it's definitely a movie to be in the right mood for, although now that I think about it, next to There Will Be Blood it is positively cheerful.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    The Name of the Rose is a good movie.

I haven't seen it in many years though.

ive never seen it. Ive seen the trailer a bunch of times though as it was on the VHS for Labrynth

it was a pretty good movie. great atmospherics and setting and casting and f murray abraham and ron perlman really give some great performances. sean connery is as good as he gets.

it's been probably 20 years since i've seen it so i have no idea if its held up. the eco book it's taken from is also pretty good if you like eco's shtick.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abd - that image is bigger than the country you live in!

No. It's 173 kb.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    damnit now i want to play a gay vampire but i've already committed myself to playing a NWOBHM vampire

what is nwobhm?

nwobhm

rob halford was gay

pretty sure he still is gay

huh for some reason i thought he was dead

anyways wasn't the rock star vampire already done by anne rice? he was probably more of a marc bolan glam sort of dude i guess.

i used to drive past the tree which marc bolan died on every morning on the wya to school and i never had any idea who he was

i just assumed he was some random child and it was very sad : (

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    In this picture:

One full food dish
    One full water bowl

ONE DEMANDING KITTEN

e23mtXo.jpg?1

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    page 99! the world is ending!

i think i might be cured of my destiny bug, i did a story mission and it was ehhhhhhhh and elki played all night doing the same missions over and over which seemed crazy to me

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    When I was a weaboo. I watched Ikiru.

God damn did that movie hurt. I can't even imagine what it would be like to watch Now that I've experienced how terrible life can be.

re: citizen Kane not being fun

ikiru is soooo good. one of my favorite kurosawa movie, maybe my #1 favorite. probably his movie with the most heart. such a sweet, poignant little film.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Jacobkosh‌ be my origin friend so we can dai multi!

sure thing! what is your origin name?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌ be my origin friend so we can dai multi!

sure thing! what is your origin name?

Elliedren

I've added you

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    watching citizen kane? heh no thanks i've already played the citizen kane of video games: dragon age

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    yo computery people

if I email a host company and be all "the shit you've got this website on is archaic, update please" and their response is to wait two weeks before going "uh, here's some ftp details. Migrate it yourself and we'll update the nameservers"

i am right to be annoyed by this laziness, right

like this isn't normal, is it?

• Options
    In this picture:

One full food dish
    One full water bowl

ONE DEMANDING KITTEN

e23mtXo.jpg?1

it looks like a yowling dimensional gate

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    In this picture:

One full food dish
    One full water bowl

ONE DEMANDING KITTEN

e23mtXo.jpg?1

I can see your cat

something is wrong here

• Options
    In this picture:

One full food dish
    One full water bowl

ONE DEMANDING KITTEN

e23mtXo.jpg?1

it looks like a yowling dimensional gate

thats metal as fuck tho

• Options
    page 99! the world is ending!

i think i might be cured of my destiny bug, i did a story mission and it was ehhhhhhhh and elki played all night doing the same missions over and over which seemed crazy to me

i played a little late last night after dk and jake left and had fun.

looking forward to the new raid and strike.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    watching citizen kane? heh no thanks i've already played the citizen kane of video games: dragon age

The Citizen Kane of video games would actually be Planescape Torment, if all your party members left you.

• Options

The Citizen Kane of video games would actually be Planescape Torment, if all your party members left you.

u mean theyre both ugly and old and dated? ya p much

• Options
    *high fives self, roller skates over a volcano*

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    In this picture:

One full food dish
    One full water bowl

ONE DEMANDING KITTEN

e23mtXo.jpg?1

Look at his suffering

You heartless brute

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So the expansion of Hearthstone greatly improved the game. It at least isn't stale right now since the meta is in flux.

Sadly I think I will get a month before it becomes stale again because of how the game is set up.

A lot more rng though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

u mean theyre both ugly and old and dated? ya p much

Did you ever play it? I assume Choco has.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Being ethical is great. SKFM, you should give it a shot!!

did they teach you about ethics at accountant school?

I imagine they are whispered about in the young accountant boarding school dormitories. "I heard Philpot got caught by the Ethical Investigator" and all the other kids shiver and cross themselves. Confused pictures of what the students think an 'Ethic' is, the consensus being a cross between the Child Catcher and Sauron.
    They make us take ethics exams and continuing ethics classes

Unlike frog rammers who get their ethics lessons from Ron Paul and a talking dog

dat zither music

the third man is such a great movie. i'm kind of surprised it doesn't get referenced more - it seems like it's kind of slid into relative obscurity

i have heard it mentioned a lot by various filmbros

i mean, barely anybody actually refers to anything in citizen kane when you think about it

they just say "oh its the citizen kane of x"

whereas i frequently hear references to the switzerland speech or the zither music

The Third Man is more fun than Citizen Kane

like, I sometimes see people (who have generally not actually watched the movie) suggest that Kane's only virtue lay in its technical accomplishments so now it isn't worth watching

they say this generally to console themselves for not having seen it, but the fact is that not many people are ever actually that up to watch an emotionally chilly movie about a man slowly driving away everyone who cares about him over the course of decades until he dies alone

that is not crowd-pleaser material in any era. I love There Will Be Blood but lots and lots and lots of people are never going to be game to just pop that on the Netflix randomly on a Saturday night and that is the hip modern accessible version of the same kind of story

The Third Man, by contrast, is a stylish, atmospheric mystery in an exotic locale with supremely quotable dialogue so I think if you can actually sit people down to watch it they will probably find it much much easier to get into

and then the zither takes hold
    i have never watched citizen kane, and from the bits of clips i've seen i can't imagine being anywhere other than the "this is really not the best movie in history" camp, although the man slowly driving away everyone who cares storyline is definitely a thing i would like more than most..............

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Tav - you complain about lots of things but mostly about other people having opinions on things. Also, you are from a country that is just part of another country.

Boom. Roasted.

• Options

this is a good point that i have a hard time internalizing because my tastes run the other direction. like, i love these kinds of downtempo stylish tragic character studies, but they make frankie want to rip her eyes out from frustration and boredom and pathos.

she absolutely couldn't take there will be blood (fell asleep), no country for old men (left halfway through), inside llewyn davis (left literally with 15 minutes to go) or the master (sat through because we saw it in the cinema with a crew but continues to gripe about it to this day)

anyways i thought citizen kane was tits. harry lime was another cool character but the third man had a lot of elements that weren't solely watching harry lime unravel (though it totally had that too)

I wonder what the secret is of cultivating that taste in people. I've told the story before of seeing Midnight Cowboy when I was like, 12 or 13, and it's both pretty shocking (even to this day) and also really languidly-paced and a bummer but I just found myself intensely wrapped up in what was going on rather than, like, repelled

• Options
    Cass - if all posts about poop were deleted from the boards, your post count would be zero.

Boom. Roasted.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So the expansion of Hearthstone greatly improved the game. It at least isn't stale right now since the meta is in flux.

Sadly I think I will get a month before it becomes stale again because of how the game is set up.

A lot more rng though.

that rogue +3 weapon damage +3 attack to random minion is hells of damage and I will not be surprised if crazy aggro rogue becomes a bigger thing than it already is

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Cambridge leaflet claims Gays are like Vampires.

I don't think the author has thought through how such a claim will be accepted in a post-Twilight world.

does this mean i'm immortal?

fuck yes!

...Am I a vampire?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    When I was a weaboo. I watched Ikiru.

God damn did that movie hurt. I can't even imagine what it would be like to watch Now that I've experienced how terrible life can be.

re: citizen Kane not being fun

ikiru is soooo good. one of my favorite kurosawa movie, maybe my #1 favorite. probably his movie with the most heart. such a sweet, poignant little film.

ikuru is the one with the detective and kidnapping? i should watch it

i bet it's on hulu, they have all criterions

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Citizen Kane's story isn't the best ever but in terms of cinematography and editing its a film that's probably never been topped

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Oh, I guess I'm just an unleashed denizen of hell.

That's pretty metal.

...Also, this thing hates on asexuals. I don't get that. They don't do anything.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Citizen Kane's story isn't the best ever but in terms of cinematography and editing its a film that's probably never been topped

i haven't seen it yet

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    Oh, I guess I'm just an unleashed denizen of hell.

That's pretty metal.

...Also, this thing hates on asexuals. I don't get that. They don't do anything.

yes, but they're FINE with not doing anything

and that is unforgivable

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Not gonna be a good day. Can feel it already.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Citizen Kane.

That's the one where it turns out Rosebud is his father, right?

Spoilers, FYI

• Options
    kaleedity wrote: »

A lot more rng though.

that rogue +3 weapon damage +3 attack to random minion is hells of damage and I will not be surprised if crazy aggro rogue becomes a bigger thing than it already is

I have a mech warlock that is pretty damn mean. Lots of priest out and about right now. But seriously felcannons are fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

A lot more rng though.

i suppose i could give it a spin. i wonder if my work laptop could run it...

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

this is a good point that i have a hard time internalizing because my tastes run the other direction. like, i love these kinds of downtempo stylish tragic character studies, but they make frankie want to rip her eyes out from frustration and boredom and pathos.

she absolutely couldn't take there will be blood (fell asleep), no country for old men (left halfway through), inside llewyn davis (left literally with 15 minutes to go) or the master (sat through because we saw it in the cinema with a crew but continues to gripe about it to this day)

anyways i thought citizen kane was tits. harry lime was another cool character but the third man had a lot of elements that weren't solely watching harry lime unravel (though it totally had that too)

I wonder what the secret is of cultivating that taste in people. I've told the story before of seeing Midnight Cowboy when I was like, 12 or 13, and it's both pretty shocking (even to this day) and also really languidly-paced and a bummer but I just found myself intensely wrapped up in what was going on rather than, like, repelled

I suspect that it's more a matter of taste then anything.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Not gonna be a good day. Can feel it already.

do not worry

lunch is coming

you can still burg!!!!!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

A lot more rng though.

i suppose i could give it a spin. i wonder if my work laptop could run it...

It is better.

But the base problems remain.

The lack of interaction drives me nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.