Options

The [Nintendo] thread is overrun with squid

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The best video game story telling is diablo 3

followed closely by star craft 2 (all of it but especially heart of the swarm)

No, those stories most video game. Not best.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I dunno, as engaging as a good videogame is, nothing has ever been able to immerse me the way a good book does. When I finish a good game, I feel drained, like I gave something of myself to it. When I finish a good book, I feel energized. Different people respond best to different forms of stimuli, I guess.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Personally I am completely invested in the story of Splatoon

latest?cb=20150217051128

What up, Cap'n Cuttlefish

What's your deal

You wanna like, hang out

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    What the hell is wrong with you guys, you are being extremely shitty to Madican

The way the player interacts with the story of a videogame is significantly different than any other medium. Telling Madican to go read a book if he enjoys stories is asinine. Playing through the story of a game is a fundamentally different experience than reading a book or watching a movie.

Like, it's implied that he specifically is talking about the stories of video games right, and the way playing though the game influences the experience of that story? Not just stories in general? That doesn't need to be made explicit because it should be obvious because of the topic of discussion?

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Don't forsake video games madican just forsake this thread

This was unnecessary.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'm forsaking this thread because seriously, several nested quotes with a bunch of text in a post? Do you how awful that is to scroll past on mobile

I'm canceling my Wii u order and I'm leaving and yes it is because of all of you

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

The way the player interacts with the story of a videogame is significantly different than any other medium. Telling Madican to go read a book if he enjoys stories is asinine. Playing through the story of a game is a fundamentally different experience than reading a book or watching a movie.

Like, it's implied that he specifically is talking about the stories of video games right, and the way playing though the game influences the experience of that story? Not just stories in general? That doesn't need to be made explicit because it should be obvious because of the topic of discussion?

Madican framed their entire derision of the Mario series around its story, declaring story more important than anything. Through argument they eventually listed out games they enjoyed which indicated what they really meant was story interacting with gameplay is more important than anything. This is an extremely important distinction that completely reframes the argument and it wasn't until that point it became clear what their reasoning for deriding Mario for "not having a story" was based on.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Opty wrote: »

Madican framed their entire derision of the Mario series around its story, declaring story more important than anything. Through argument they eventually listed out games they enjoyed which indicated what they really meant was story interacting with gameplay is more important than anything. This is an extremely important distinction that completely reframes the argument and it wasn't until that point it became clear what their reasoning for deriding Mario for "not having a story" was based on.

"Story" in this case is shorthand for "the way the gameplay interacts with the narrative." This should not have to be explicitly stated because that's the way videogame stories work. In the case of Mario, if I understand him correctly, he doesn't feel that the narrative you interact with is compelling. Which is perfectly reasonable!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I was giving them guff for calling something a lazy cash in because it did not cater to their specific tastes

As to the "story", madican was specifically discussing plot, which can be seen through him saying the story of Mario is that Mario saves the princess over and over

My point in saying that they might want to read books was that they actually DO care about more things in games than just the plot, because the plots in games are largely pretty bad and inferior to other mediums, and if they TRULY cared only about plot, games are not where you should be

Further discussion showed this was the case and that there are other things about the game that influence their enjoyment.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Hey if you want to watch a three page argument about whether Mario games are bad because their story isn't compelling keep going ad infinitum then be my guest. Seems a little tiresome to me tho

• Options
    Opty wrote: »

"Story" in this case is shorthand for "the way the gameplay interacts with the narrative." This should not have to be explicitly stated because that's the way videogame stories work. In the case of Mario, if I understand him correctly, he doesn't feel that the narrative you interact with is compelling. Which is perfectly reasonable!

Madican was talking specifically about plot

Because they say that marios story is Mario saves the princess

Your definition of story would have the story being significantly different for each Mario game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it's a rough life, rating games by their story

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    but even then, mario rpgs have great stories

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    wow fuck all of you who threw metroid under the bus

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    wow fuck all of you who threw metroid under the bus

Its not that they're bad!

But they have the least impact on games as a whole

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    okay but which one would you fuck and which one would you marry

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kill metroid, fuck mario, marry zelda

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    okay but which one would you fuck and which one would you marry

zelda and mario respectively, duh

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    you're going to marry a poor plumber over a rich princess

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I think killing Metroids is the smart decision.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    mario is a provider

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    marry the cool bounty hunter how is this a question

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

But Samus isn't an option!

Metroids are.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »

a princess whose kingdom is constantly in ruins!

rule one of bounty hunter love is that loving a bounty hunter will get you killed

never love a bounty hunter

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

Why would you marry Metroid? He can't even crawl.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Trashing a story that someone else really loves can ruin it forever for them, which would be pretty shitty.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I would throw away Mario, assuming Nintendo continues to exist

And i know that many people are going to tell me that's the wrong choice and i understand that completely

But i'd do it in a second if it meant Nintendo's mainline franchise was Metroid

And also i can't lose Wind Waker

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

a princess whose kingdom is constantly in ruins!

rule one of bounty hunter love is that loving a bounty hunter will get you killed

never love a bounty hunter

no he said marry

haha, straight white men jokes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Mario is always fucking off to do something or other

Forget that guy

You will get no kind of commitment from him

It'll just be a sea of empty promises

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    is metroid really part of the big three nintendos anymore

I think it's actually kirby at this point, if we're not counting pokemon (since that's basically handheld-only)

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Metroid seems closer to F-Zero/Star Fox tier at this point.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Sad but true.

Its a shame because metroid prime is better than any Kirby game ever

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Metroid seems closer to F-Zero/Star Fox tier at this point.

Except isn't Star Fox getting a new game?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    My understanding is that for a while metroid has been unpopular in Japan, and then other m was unpopular in America, which might lead one to believe that nintendo is shelving the series for the time being

But hey e3 is almost here maybe they'll surprise us

Of course, other m has kind of made me wary of whether I even WANT a new metroid

• Options
    aren't nintendo not going to e3

• Options
    It has been a full decade since they have made a 2D sidescrolling Metroid game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    is metroid really part of the big three nintendos anymore

I think it's actually kirby at this point, if we're not counting pokemon (since that's basically handheld-only)

The question wasn't about franchises though, it was those specific three games from the 80's. Metroid's the obvious answer because I think someone may have already done this and we're the only ones who remember the original timeline.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited May 2015
    aren't nintendo not going to e3

Nintendo just doesn't do conferences anymore, they do a special Direct (which is basically just a cheaper, easier way to do a conference) and they absolutely have a booth there

Sega isn't going this year, and Nintendo just isn't showing Zelda

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.