Options

[Hearthstone] Tavern Brawls and new heroes are here!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It doesn't help that we borrowed a bunch of Magic terms, so ramp and zoo make no goddamn sense in this game.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Wild Druid would be a way cooler name

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The funniest thing to me is that we have combo/fast druid and ramp druid but all variants of druid run 2x each of Wild Growth and Innervate, which are the ramp cards.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Just barely missed the 12-2 dream with this deck. It was pretty good, though I never got a chance to play Majordomo. :( I also never lost when I drew him, but still.

Still never made it to 12 wins, though I had plenty of 9-x runs back when that was the max. Including one where I was 8-0 and played three straight games where I had lethal on board, then conceded so that I would get the eight-win reward. That was a real good Mage deck.

admanb on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Face Hunter is not entirely brainless. I have a decent amount of experience with the deck and I've played many games against face hunters when they have done something where I've said out loud to myself "that's not right." 90 percent of the time that happens I go on to win, usually because the Hunter has stalled himself out of his damage options.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Also: I get why people get frustrated when they lose to Face Hunter/pre-nerf Undertaker/heyday Mech Mage/etc, but for me all that frustration is nowhere NEAR how angry I get when I lose because the opponent dropped a Lightwell turn 2 and I had absolutely no way to deal with it.

That's the thing that drives me crazy: losing to "bad" cards that aren't "competitive" and "don't get played". Except of course it doesn't matter if a card is considered by the meta-at-large to be sub-optimal or whatever: if the card takes you down, obviously it wasn't a bad card [at the point, in that game, at that instant in the meta].

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I have had the weirdest games and some of the most frustrating losses today. So far today at rank 7-8 I have faced

Mech priest (loss)
    Mech mage with echo, flamestrike, and Jeeves (loss)
    Control warrior with double gorehowl (loss)
    Control warrior with gorehowl and Troggzor (loss)

And finally a priest who did nothing but rope every turn. He didn't even heal himself, he just sat around and roped. At last I got a win, I guess.

I don't even know what's happening anymore.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    5-0 in the MNC Dover & @Sensational Arena team-up spectacular!

Talking out our moves has been great, although we definitely need to type faster or get Skype up and running. Most turns are roped! :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    8qk56ml4ya9s.jpg
    Not pictured:
    Flamestrike
    Force tank
    Pyroblast

It was really hard to get in a bad spot with that deck. At 10 wins a paladin played 3 argent protectors on his first raptor and got an avenge on it but I finally cleared his board when he didn't play around flamestrike turn 7 and also didn't top deck the win when I was at 3 health for 3 or 4 turns.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Coinage wrote: »
    It doesn't help that we borrowed a bunch of Magic terms, so ramp and zoo make no goddamn sense in this game.

Zoo isn't tied to any particular card in Magic and makes perfect sense in Hearthstone as it brings to mind what it is: A bunch of creatures as opposed to being reliant on spells.

Ramp is less intuitive but I totally forgot Rampant Growth was a thing from Magic and made the connection to ramping up mana crystals.

The only real metagame relevant Magic deckname that isn't easy to figure out without that background has been Miracle.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Stupid Newb Question of the Day (TM):

What the Christ is a Face Hunter? All the links I'm finding talk technicalities and deck construction, not why it's awesome.

Also, is there a place that gently explains all the common deck archetypes before turning on the fire house of technobabble?

Liquidhearth posts a top 20 or so decklist each week in its Constructed Strategy forum. Each has a basic explanation of the deck (though some are sparser than others or haven't been updated in a while because there's also . . .) and a blurb about how the deck has changed either due to tweaks in card choices or changes in the metagame affecting how the deck performs plus decklists, details about those lists (eg, deck A was used by player B to win tournament C while deck D was used by player E to achieve Legend rank F in region G), a list of other cards that sometimes get used in the archetype, and a list of favorable and unfavorable matchups. The most recent listing is here: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/486055-pr-may-2-15-week-3-hybrids-and-dragons-oh-my

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    liquidhearth also posts, now weekly, previously monthy, an analysis of the meta that includes explanations of what the decks are and links to different versions of the list

at the least you can look at the name and the lists and figure out how it applies, or just read the little caption and they basically tell you.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Just barely missed the 12-2 dream with this deck. It was pretty good, though I never got a chance to play Majordomo. :( I also never lost when I drew him, but still.

Still never made it to 12 wins, though I had plenty of 9-x runs back when that was the max. Including one where I was 8-0 and played three straight games where I had lethal on board, then conceded so that I would get the eight-win reward. That was a real good Mage deck.

Close! I haven't gotten to 12 with Druid in like a year; it's really hard. What did you pick Domo over?

• Options

Close! I haven't gotten to 12 with Druid in like a year; it's really hard. What did you pick Domo over?

Rend and Captain Greenskin. Literal garbage.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular

Rend and Captain Greenskin. Literal garbage.

Yikes! As an aside, Greenskin is sick in paladin/warrior.

• Options
    For sure. I even took a second look at Rend just because of Domo's downside + cost, but an 8/4 is trash.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Inq wrote: »

What the Christ is a Face Hunter? All the links I'm finding talk technicalities and deck construction, not why it's awesome.

Also, is there a place that gently explains all the common deck archetypes without turning on the fire house of technobabble?

Pretty typical setup for face hunter. It is pretty much the most aggressive deck in the meta at the moment. A mana curve that tops off at 3 to maximize early game and allow plenty of room for supplementing damage with your hero power.

Certainly the default is to attack face, but to really maximize your win rate you have to learn when to trade and what to silence.

The problem I have playing face hunter is that I am too willing to look at trading rather than just going face. Yes there are situations where you need to trade instead of just hitting face over and over, but I am bad enough at recognizing those situations that I think I actually drop my winrate when I trade, :(

Oh, and the answer to "what to silence" is pretty much "taunts"

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Inq wrote: »

Also, is there a place that gently explains all the common deck archetypes without turning on the fire house of technobabble?

Pretty typical setup for face hunter. It is pretty much the most aggressive deck in the meta at the moment. A mana curve that tops off at 3 to maximize early game and allow plenty of room for supplementing damage with your hero power.

Certainly the default is to attack face, but to really maximize your win rate you have to learn when to trade and what to silence.

The problem I have playing face hunter is that I am too willing to look at trading rather than just going face. Yes there are situations where you need to trade instead of just hitting face over and over, but I am bad enough at recognizing those situations that I think I actually drop my winrate when I trade, :(

Oh, and the answer to "what to silence" is pretty much "taunts"

Sometimes you're up against a deck you recognize and know runs no taunts. Other hunter decks would be an example.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    In which case, silencing their Mad Scientists or Haunted Creepers can be very valid.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I suppose. Even other hunters have animal companion (maybe taunt), and sometimes huntmaster (though I guess they're not in the meta as much). Do you silence a hunter's haunted creeper then, just on the assumption nothing will show up to silence?

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    I suppose. Even other hunters have animal companion (maybe taunt), and sometimes huntmaster (though I guess they're not in the meta as much). Do you silence a hunter's haunted creeper then, just on the assumption nothing will show up to silence?

If you put him on Face hunter, then yes. If you think its the mid range hunter that includes Savannah Highmanes, you'd probably want to wait for a Houndmaster or one of those. Trouble is both decks can play similarly in the beginning, even face hunter misses a 1 drop sometimes.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Another newb question: I'm assuming "trade" means you and your opponents spend your turns mashing minions into each other instead of into each other's faces?

Is there a good place that explains all this terminology?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Another newb question: I'm assuming "trade" means you and your opponents spend your turns mashing minions into each other instead of into each other's faces?

There's a general guide here, though keep in mind much of that list is MtG terms that haven't really migrated over. But there are still useful definitions for the modern hearthstone player to be found there.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    IGN has a great interview to several pros.

There's a lot of ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE,GET IN HERE, of course.

• Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    (for example, fucking mages are always going to have fucking flamestrike), and focus on maintaining board control. A mistake I made a lot starting out is throwing all my cards on the board and running out of steam, or trying to get maximum card value and getting run over. You just want to stay a little bit ahead.

Although this is most definitely true, I lost an Arena game earlier today BECAUSE I played around Flamestrike. I had my opponent down to five life, didn't want to over commit to the board & gave them too much time to find answers. Turns out they didn't even have a Flamestrike in their deck & I couldn't deal with timely big booty taunt creatures. Sad face.

But yeah, Flamestrike from Mages, Hellfire from Warlocks, Swipe from Druids & Consecrate from Paladins can all be disaster.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options

just so you don't worry going forward, no one here minds answering. you could probably even friend and message (almost) anyone on the OP and they'd answer noob questions all day

• Options
    I don't know much that feels better than asking for a card and drawing it.

8 mana, bgh, innerviate, coolent, keeper in hand. priest plays nothing so my reactionary cards have nothing to do. I say please, ancient of lore me. and boom there it is. wooooo.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I usuall hover around 0 to 1 wins in Arena. I just tried the Arena value site, but I was a Warlock against a Pally and Mage, so, yeah.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I usuall hover around 0 to 1 wins in Arena. I just tried the Arena value site, but I was a Warlock against a Pally and Mage, so, yeah.

It takes a lot of practice to get good with the different arena archetypes and when to value curve over power, how to adjust rankings based on synergy, etc. Stick with it because it rewards experience both in card selection and in play. With practice, it becomes the best way to acquire gold by far.

• Options
    nooooo I so automatically draw with lore that I didn't think to heal

also totally didn't consider pyroblast, all sure of myself that I had this mage dead. oooooops.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I also just dropped sylv vs zoo when I coulda dropped sludge instead

didn't realize he'd have arcane golem + power overwhelming x 2 for 12 dmg + 4 from board for lethal

ugh...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I know I'm a bit late, but earlier today we were having a heated discussion about Face Hunters and whether or not such decks are good for the game. Lots of folks have strong feelings both ways about the deck, and I think that's fine, in fact if we all played this game the same way it would be woefully tedious.

But in the interest of contributing something a bit more tangible to the discussion, I'd like to pose a question: how do you deal with Face Hunters and other hyper aggressive decks of its ilk? I think everyone in this thread has been steamrolled by a Hunter or a Zoolock or some other aggro flavor of the month. It's frustrating. But instead of complaining about it, let's be the awesome PA community that we are and brainstorm. Let's share our go-to decks for stomping all over aggro!

Here's mine:
    ih0myx21skkw.jpg

It is extremely simple to play and quite fun. It runs no taunts or healing. And it absolutely stomps all over Face Hunter and Aggro Zoolock. Also has good matchups against Tempo and Mech Mage.

Believe it or not, this deck is actually faster than hunter and zoo. The basic idea is to use your efficient early drops to maintain board control and then use surprise burst from BoM and BoK. Or you can have insane games where on T3 you have 2 4/4s and a 4/3, or by T4 you have 2 Volcanic Drakes on the board. The deck has a lot of burst potential and your opponent will find themselves suddenly dead on T6/7/8. And I think the legendaries are generally replaceable.

Biggest problem is that it's atrocious against Patron Warrior. Since that's like, the top rated deck this week, if you see a lot of those, don't play this deck.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I had a really good shaman arena deck that was stopped by a mage that drafted 3 flame strikes :( I did an alright job playing around the first 2 but... Yeah.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Things I learned from arena this morning:

- Micro Machine is ABSURD if you can drop it early, get it behind a taunt, and catch your opponent with no removal. Just completely ridiculous.

- The same is true of Turn 2 Shielded Minibot Turn 3 Coin Blessing of Kings, except who needs taunt protection when you have a turn 3 6/6 with divine shield?

- When deciding whether to commit to the board in order to snip off those last few life points from the opponent versus keeping something in hand in case of AOE (or in this specific case, Rogue combo cards), regardless of the situation I am going to make the wrong decision.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Here's something I have a hard time with. I get why control decks work, and I get why synergistic decks work ("get in here"), and why face decks work. But something is missing in my high-level understanding of the value of various cards because I cannot for the life of me figure out why any mage deck works. Especially freeze decks. Seems like you'd just be delaying the inevitable. I mean, I can PLAY one of these decks, win with it, and still not really grasp at a high level why I won. I mean, 2 0/2 minions with taunt is obviously great for the cost, and the power is fine, but I would otherwise assume the mage cards are sort of garbage.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Here's something I have a hard time with. I get why control decks work, and I get why synergistic decks work ("get in here"), and why face decks work. But something is missing in my high-level understanding of the value of various cards because I cannot for the life of me figure out why any mage deck works. Especially freeze decks. Seems like you'd just be delaying the inevitable. I mean, I can PLAY one of these decks, win with it, and still not really grasp at a high level why I won. I mean, 2 0/2 minions with taunt is obviously great for the cost, and the power is fine, but I would otherwise assume the mage cards are sort of garbage.

flamestrike is why mage decks work

• Options
    MadPen wrote: »

Freeze Mage is just a control deck. Think of Ice Block and Ice Shield as the equivalent of the Warrior's armor generation cards, and Doomsayer/Blizzard/Flamestrike are the sweepers. The difference is really just that Warrior kills with Alex/Grommash while Freeze kills with Alex/Fireballs.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    frostbolt frostbolt ice lance ice lance is a lotta damage too

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Its 14 damage

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    works for druids

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Its 14 damage

18 if you drop Bloodmage Thalnos first or have an Azure Drake on the board already.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.