As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad Max: Fury Road [Spoilers will be Witnessed]

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Seriously, it really sells it to me how Joe was a god to those people.

I genuinely could see how the Immortan looked like to the war boys from that scene.
    With your avatar, I keep thinking you mean that other kind of Joe and I'm very confused.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The music is great in that scene.

Brothers in Arms is competing with Suicide Mission (from the Mass Effect 2 Soundtrack) as my most played piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Seriously, it really sells it to me how Joe was a god to those people.

I genuinely could see how the Immortan looked like to the war boys from that scene.
    With your avatar, I keep thinking you mean that other kind of Joe and I'm very I'm very confused.

Henshin a go-go, baby.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I love Brothers In Arms

But I think I love Blood Bag more when I'm driving
    https://youtu.be/vs7TxUI8A64

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I figure this movie's been talked to death, so not point in mentioning all the crazy awesome things it has that I love.

So just a comment on a small detail that just tickled fiercely: I love how the movie shows Joe from the perspective of the warboys. That one small part when Nux is telling Joe about the secret way into the war rig and Joe, wind in hair, looking fierce, tells Nux he will ride eternal if he brings back the wives...

It just really sold me on how all those kids could be brainwashed and made it seem all that more real to me. Joe, evil and horrible as he is, looked downright godly to Nux in that scene.

I love the fact that they made sure that any time Hugh walked on set as Joe everyone saluted him with the sign of the V8, and not just the extras, the whole film crew joined in. Really helps set the mood.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Finally saw this on HBO. This movie is bananas! Like just whacked out in its world building.

How can a movie have a guy with a flaming guitar dangling from bungie cords off the front of s truck rocking out all movie and have it not be too ridiculous?

Well done sir.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I love Brothers In Arms

But I think I love Blood Bag more when I'm driving
    https://youtu.be/vs7TxUI8A64

Chapter Doof or I feed

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I just rewatched this last night. (Its on Comcast On Demand now.)

Yep, still good.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Finally just redboxed this tonight. Damn that was good.

Now to find a way to run an RPG campaign that is one long chase scene.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Shadowrun

All-rigger team

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    The runners have to intercept a package on board a corporate convoy traveling on the ruins of the old Autobahn on the way to a super-secret research facility in the middle of the heavily irradiated Lorraine-Luxembourg Special Administrative Zone.

• Options
    But then I'd have to run Shadowrun.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's a damn shame Dark Future never became a full-blown RPG.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Apocalypse World might work for an RPG that is all chase.

It has at least a couple of driving based classes and is sort of designed to be both apocalyptic and with detail you can fill in.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Fourth wasn't bad for running that. Fifth is better but I haven't actually run it yet.

Just.. screw the rules, go cinematic, let the rules of cool take over.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I played a 4e game where we were involved in a wagon chase before. Characters could make checks to leap from wagon to wagon but if you failed or got knocked off you'd be out of the encounter as you were left behind in the dust.

It was a pretty cool tactic to actually try and knock the bandits off their horses rather than kill them outright.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Running from a zombie Edger Allen Poe.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Fourth wasn't bad for running that. Fifth is better but I haven't actually run it yet.

Just.. screw the rules, go cinematic, let the rules of cool take over.

Well, yeah. But if I'm going to say screw the rules anyway, I might as well just run something in the -World family or FAE.

For some reason I'm really liking the idea of "Witness Me" as a world aspect.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Why not Rifts?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    My San score is low enough as it is.

• Options
    Watching this again this morning, I do have a couple of questions.

1) Wasn't the world not totally shit at some point in Max's life? If that's the case, how have these bizarre alternate societies cropped up so fast. Furiosa and the old ladies of the waste talk about clans and lineages, which makes no sense if a dude who can't be over 40 by his appearance is from the before times. I haven't watched the older movies for a long time, so maybe this is covered and I just didn't see it.

2) Furiosa implies that she has attempted this type of escape multiple times before. How does she get put in charge of the war rig if she's a flight risk?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

1) Wasn't the world not totally shit at some point in Max's life? If that's the case, how have these bizarre alternate societies cropped up so fast. Furiosa and the old ladies of the waste talk about clans and lineages, which makes no sense if a dude who can't be over 40 by his appearance is from the before times. I haven't watched the older movies for a long time, so maybe this is covered and I just didn't see it.

2) Furiosa implies that she has attempted this type of escape multiple times before. How does she get put in charge of the war rig if she's a flight risk?

For two I thought it was that she had done partial dry runs before, mapping the route and setting it up.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    and she was smart, cautious and waited til the right time. Then just got lucky on top of it. She would have failed without Max and Nux.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I don't remember anything in the movie about Max personally witnessing the downfall of society

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    In the original Mad Max, he was on the fringes of a collapsing society, and then drive into the outback and badlands areas at the very end when he lost it all. My guess is that things were FAR worse out there, and it has only gone downhill.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I don't remember anything in the movie about Max personally witnessing the downfall of society
    Doesn't he work for an organized police force in a relatively normal society in the first movie? He and his wife(?) and their dog go on vacation at one point. There's a mechanic they pay real money to.

Am I misremembering all this?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Doesn't he work for an organized police force in a relatively normal society in the first movie? He and his wife(?) and their dog go on vacation at one point. There's a mechanic they pay real money to.

Fury Road isn't a traditional sequel, it's a new thing. So in Fury Road I don't think it's established when society exactly fell and who was around for it.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It's in the first movie mostly, which actually takes place pre-apocalypse if I remember correctly. I know this has been stated several times before, but it's really best to not think about the continuity of Mad Max. The director himself doesn't; he is more concerned with telling a compelling story within one film. Mad Max is more of a flavor than an ongoing story.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Well when you think about it, most people on set and most of the actors playing the warboys weren't born when the first Mad Max movie was released. It makes some sense that the characters they play weren't born before the bombs feel either.
    Max should be older, but there's just no way they'd have gotten Mel back for this.

• Options
    It's in the first movie mostly, which actually takes place pre-apocalypse if I remember correctly. I know this has been stated several times before, but it's really best to not think about the continuity of Mad Max. The director himself doesn't; he is more concerned with telling a compelling story within one film. Mad Max is more of a flavor than an ongoing story.
    I appreciate the reply, but that is a thoroughly unsatisfying answer.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Caring about continuity with previous stories seems like a weird modern thing.

But the collapse in Mad Max 1 and 2 seemed more gradual than in most similar movies so Max having experienced relative civilization while others grew up in already collapsed areas would not be amazing. The issue was one of resources. Rome did not fall in a day and all at once.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Caring about continuity with previous stories seems like a weird modern thing.

I'm not sure I agree. I recall a lot of people being highly frustrated with the dramatic shifts between Aliens and Alien 3, and that was nearly a quarter century ago.

... holy fuck I'm old.

Heavily sequelizing the shit out of everything (over the last few years/decades in particular) and The Internet (facilitating rapid fire dissection of movies for flaws by hundreds or thousands of people at the same time) are the bigger factors at play here, imo.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

The first movie opens after resources have already started to run out, the cities have devolved and the only places where there's any organized society is out in the small towns and outskirts of civilization. We've already got clans in the gangs that came out of the cities where society has already collapsed.

By the second movie we've got clans with little kids who haven't seen the world before it went down.

By the third the little kids who were there during the fall are about in their 20s or late teens.

By the fourth we've got kids who were born after the fall and are now in their teens to 20s. You've got about three generations in the Mothers clan shown there, the people who were adult when the fall happened, the ones who were kids during, and the ones who were born after.

Max is about 40 in Fury Road, which is also pretty close to the actor's real age.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    When Max asks her if she's done this before, her response is "many times" and that now that she drives a War Rig this was the best chance she had.

I read that to mean she planned it out, dreamt about it, went over and over it in her head all the time. And now she gets to do it finally.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

For two I thought it was that she had done partial dry runs before, mapping the route and setting it up.

And/or she had daydreamed about it many times.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I watched this again a couple days ago with my mother, who enjoyed it even though she doesn't really like violent action movies.

After having had so much time to think about the movie in general, I think overall my favorite part of it is just how much sense everything in that world makes.

Basically everything is a desert now and resources are few and far between, so the survivors need some way to get from point A to point B and back again. This means vehicles. The other people who are also surviving will want those resources you are collecting/storing/transporting so this means lots of weapons on those vehicles.

The War Boys all follow Joe because they all have some form of leukemia, in fact he specifically targets them for that reason. He gives these young men who have nothing to look forward to but a painful early death something to live (and die) for. That if they die in service to him they'll live on forever in the afterlife. That's incredibly appealing in this shitty world they have to exist in. But they can't just go out and blow themselves up somewhere on their own, no, that wouldn't serve his needs. So he creates the requirement that they be "witnessed" doing these actions, to keep them a cohesive whole. And with that fanatical army at his back it makes sense how he's able to hold and control this essential paradise he has.

And maybe my favorite minor thing in the movie, the people who live in the canyons. All they want from Furiosa is the guzzoline she promised them. Joe's war parties following put them on edge, and then finding out that there were other people in the War Rig made them think there was a double cross going on so they attacked, but once the fuel pod gets destroyed? They stop chasing. It's not worth it to go after her for revenge, and they don't need to defend their territory since they probably have every inch mapped out and can just run and hide or do guerrilla strikes against potential invaders. When Furiosa comes back through the canyon on the way back? There's one shot of them seeing the War Rig and the war parties coming back, and then they are never seen again. They don't want anything to do with this crazy nonsense going on, there's nothing in it for them. Contrast this with Joe's self-destructive hubris and possessiveness.

God damn it's a good movie.

Aistan on
  • Options

Talk to the director :P

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

It's better to think of Mad Max as a series of short stories set at different times. There's not going to be any hard continuity.

• Options
    There's always a Max, there's always a desert, there's always some kickass vehicles.

... there's always a leather jacket with one sleeve cut off? I haven't seen any of the original 3 so i'm not sure about that one.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Continuity... it went under the wheels.