As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I don't remember any Sierra game having save slots. You saved to floppy disks or the hard drive? I never once reached any kind of save limit and I had about 50 or so in Quest for Glory games and Space Quest.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They are both bad

UV I'm sure you're used to this by now but

your opinion means so little to me.
    Jesus, dude

Like it is one thing to think Vow's opinions are super weird

But this is just rude and mean as all heck

Sorry, where's the line where it goes from "haha UV's opinions are weird and nobody thinks like that" and that is okay somehow, and crosses over to unacceptable?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Saying "man, Vow, your opinions are weird!" is way different than "your opinion means so little to me"

One is just acknowledging dude has unusual tastes

The other is being super condescending and insulting

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I mean, that line doesn't really exist for me personally, I've definitely been feeling like any kind of "Vow has weird opinions haha" bit is mean-spirited

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    "I can't tell you how little what you think matters" is much different than "man your opinions are weird", at least in my head

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    They are both bad

UV I'm sure you're used to this by now but

your opinion means so little to me.
    Jesus, dude

Like it is one thing to think Vow's opinions are super weird

But this is just rude and mean as all heck

Sorry, where's the line where it goes from "haha UV's opinions are weird and nobody thinks like that" and that is okay somehow, and crosses over to unacceptable?

I marked the line for you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Saying "man, Vow, your opinions are weird!" is way different than "your opinion means so little to me"

I think they're pretty much the same actually

One is more directly rude maybe but as a forum meme it was never really anything but condescending

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Okay yeah, I can see how it's a bit too far.

I thought I was just flipping the usual "UV's opinion is one no one else holds" on its head.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

One is more directly rude maybe but as a forum meme it was never really anything but condescending
    I mean I also think haha VOW opinions is condescending and insulting

Like I think the guy does have weird as heck tastes but that doesn't mean they should be written off immediately

You are a good dude Vow, even if you like weird stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa90buE7RdU
    When the on-foot stuff I actually went "OH NO" out loud

This looks terrible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The on foot is terrible but the grappling hook while biking is inspired

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Eh, the on-foot stuff looks like it doesn't play as great as the rest of the game but as a larger part of the "dumb thing we are doing" aesthetic it works fine

• Options
    I mean I tease a lot of friends about things and I rather expect they'll do the same back to me, so if I give Vow a hard time about his opinions once in a while, it's purely meant as friendly ribbing. That's also why I try not to do it too often these days, because even light-hearted ribbing turns into bullying if you do it all the time. That sort of teasing is also a very contextual thing, where the tone of the conversation can add weight to the statement.

I also respect a lot of his weird opinions because, when pressed, he can usually back them up with pretty good explanations. Also, on more than one occasion, I've been the one with an unpopular opinion and he's been the only person to share it. I'd wager most of you have been in that same boat from time to time.

So, uh Vow for Forumer Council, I guess?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Vow for president

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Eh, the on-foot stuff looks like it doesn't play as great as the rest of the game but as a larger part of the "dumb thing we are doing" aesthetic it works fine

It looks about as funny as Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, so there's also that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    So we had that cool RE7 demo

Who wants to see some of the other Resident Evil game that just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxywSYBCDeI

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I mean I also think haha VOW opinions is condescending and insulting

Like I think the guy does have weird as heck tastes but that doesn't mean they should be written off immediately

You are a good dude Vow, even if you like weird stuff

I'm gonna try to stick to expressing incredulity/surprise at UV's opinions without being condescending about it from now on.

Can you hold me to that?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One armed too since the other arm does nothing while pointing the pistol.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I feel like everyone would have very fond memories of Operation Raccoon City & Umbrella Corps and be constantly asking for a new one if they had come out on the PS2 in 2002 and 2003

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I try not to give folks shit when their opinions differ from mine

That goes double for Vow, who's said in the past they take it in easy stride—but even then, getting pigeonholed a certain way by one of your social groups can really, really wear on you over time

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't remember any Sierra game having save slots. You saved to floppy disks or the hard drive? I never once reached any kind of save limit and I had about 50 or so in Quest for Glory games and Space Quest.

There was some kind of error you'd get if you tried to save over the ~15 game limit. I'm not sure if this was an amiga specific thing or not. I remember Sierra/Dynamix's Betrayal At Krondor having a similar issue but you could change the save directory to work around it.

• Options
    Supermassive Games commented that while they are working on an unrevealed project, it is not Until Dawn 2.

Man

I am still interested in whatever they're doing but I reeeeally want Until Dawn 2

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Supermassive Games commented that while they are working on an unrevealed project, it is not Until Dawn 2.

Man

I am still interested in whatever they're doing but I reeeeally want Until Dawn 2

I think I almost prefer for studios to do something between franchise titles. A little time away from a series and experience with something else can do good things for keeping things fresh.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

There was some kind of error you'd get if you tried to save over the ~15 game limit. I'm not sure if this was an amiga specific thing or not. I remember Sierra/Dynamix's Betrayal At Krondor having a similar issue but you could change the save directory to work around it.

Yeah I never had that problem on the early Apple II sierra games.

• Options

Man

I think I almost prefer for studios to do something between franchise titles. A little time away from a series and experience with something else can do good things for keeping things fresh.
    This is totally fair and a good stance to have

but also I really want Until Dawn 2

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Man

it could still be a game in that vein

• Options
    I would actually like them to expand out the ideas they had for Until Dawn in a totally new thing, so then they're not tied down to anything

As long as it's a choice-based thing where a lot can change, I'm cool with whatever they do

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Man

it could still be a game in that vein
    Yeah that is why I am still interested

But I specifically would like Until Dawn 2 because it turns out making them David Cage style experiences is the perfect way to get me to actually enjoy slasher type horror things

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Man

really I wouldn't mind them doing the same treatment with a bunch of other genres too

like a spaghetti western where you could be sheriff, the priest, the doctor, the outlaw, the miner - and then influence who's still around for the climactic shootout at the end

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What about a Western where you come into town, and you meet different people and can talk to them, but you can also just straight up pull your gun and shoot them. And depending on how you interact with those people, you'll meet different people throughout the course of the game.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Campy horror was the perfect genre for that game because it made for excellent party play. I can't think of many other genres that would be as true for.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    What about a Western where you come into town, and you meet different people and can talk to them, but you can also just straight up pull your gun and shoot them. And depending on how you interact with those people, you'll meet different people throughout the course of the game.
    Law of the West 2016

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Man

Oh I 100% understand. That's my logical position, and I often defy it myself because the heart wants what it wants.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'd like Until Dawn 2 to be some kind of Tarantino-like setup where a bunch of characters gather into a pressure cooker and are eventually gonna kill each other

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I'd like Until Dawn 2 to be some kind of Tarantino-like setup where a bunch of characters gather into a pressure cooker and are eventually gonna kill each other
    I would like that but not for Until Dawn

That franchise should be fun, hammy horror movie stuff.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Campy horror was the perfect genre for that game because it made for excellent party play. I can't think of many other genres that would be as true for.

My friends and I each played as one character and we would pass the controller around on our play through.

Was SUCH a great way to play that game. Really good group experience as each individual was responsible for their own characters actions and fate.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »

well it's still horror-ish
    1jdHtaPl.jpg
    but doing an Aliens-style sci-fi game where you can pick survivors and crew members would be pretty rad

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh I see this is a good page to mention it

*ahem*

Fuck Trials of the Blood Dragon

Fuck it

It is trash

It is trash and it belongs in the trash, and then you should set that trash on fire so that it can fulfill its purpose by becoming a trash garbage fire

Do not spend any amount of money on it

It is an extremely poor Trials game

It is a extremely poor Blood Dragon property, and this is coming from someone who didn't like Far Cry: Blood Dragon but can at least "get" why other people did

Fuck it because it is actively damaging to both of its properties in a way that may actually be irreversible - a Trials game was at one point something I'd buy sight unseen, which I did for Fusion (which was MOSTLY fine but the trick system sucked) and then this (which is actively damaging to my soul). I don't know if there's much they can do to salvage Trials at this point other than "stop trying to reinvent the wheel and keep it simple" because Evolution was a damn near perfect video game

Same goes for Blood Dragon, because while I think the execution has been botched both times, I think the idea of the branding is kinda cool

I was so happy to hear Jeff tear it apart on this week's Bombcast, because yeah, while putting out games during a conference can be a cool move for highly anticipated stuff, here it just let Ubisoft crap a game that would have reviewed incredibly poorly out the door while all the people that would have torn it down for a living were sitting there watching people onstage guide birds around in virtual reality

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    jeff did a takedown on this week's bombcast. it sounds pretty awful

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Man

hey now, you want that shit to age like a fine wine

cork it out when the time is right

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)